Author Topic: Best Franchise?  (Read 17819 times)

Offline JordanJones123

• RFF Full Member
  • Jet and Cord should have won!
Best Franchise?
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:10:58 AM »
Hey Guys.

I am from Australia, and so have been eagerly following 'The Amazing Race Australia 2'. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season, and although I am a TAR Traditionalist and hate to say it, I feel as if this TARAus franchise is far better than the american one at the moment. I think this is because of better casting, locations, varying leg structures and the unpredictability.

Anywho, this got me thinking, what do you think is the best TAR franchise? I have only seen the US and AUS franchises, so it would be interesting to see what you guys thought.

So, which is the best TAR Franchise, and why?

***Wasn't sure where to put this thread, so if I am in the wrong place tell me!
****If there is already a thread like this I apologise.
Jet and Cord are still the best!!! Bring them back!

'Maybe God didn't bless me so much with talent, but he gave me try'

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Best Franchise?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
I'm from Australia too!  :ghug:

But in all seriousness, I do think TARAus is the best franchise right now. It gets points for casting, locations, challenges and editing!

Don't get me wrong, the original TAR is pure magic but somewhere along the way it just... yeah..
HOPEFULLY the original gets its mojo back in TAR21!  :)

AND I really really like TAR China Rush!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:02:48 AM by supah3ro »

Offline JordanJones123

• RFF Full Member
  • Jet and Cord should have won!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »
I'm from Australia too!  :ghug:

But in all seriousness, I do think TARAus is the best franchise right now. It gets points for casting, locations, challenges and editing!

Don't get me wrong, the original TAR is pure magic but somewhere along the way it just... yeah..
HOPEFULLY the original gets its mojo back in TAR21!  :)

I agree! I feel as if the first 1-7 seasons of TAR were magical, but that being said, the last 2 seasons have been dismal. There was something about the first 1-3 seasons of TAR that needs to be recaptured if TAR is to overtake TARAus as, in my eyes, best franchise!

TARAus is in a class of its own though, and i agree that i hope TAR 21 is back to its best!!!! (although looking at the spoilers, it looks like another failure)
Jet and Cord are still the best!!! Bring them back!

'Maybe God didn't bless me so much with talent, but he gave me try'

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
TAR Aus > TAR US > TAR Norway > TAR ChinaRush > TARA > TAR Vietnam

Haven't watched Israel and only watched few of LA so I can't put it. I still think US is good but I never get excited watching TAR as I am watchng TAR Aus Season 2.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »
The Amazing Race Australia obviously. TARA is decent if you minus away Allan Wu's weird hosting style and too many mactors on the show.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »
Obviously the earlier seasons of TAR are the best seasons, and they will be close to impossible to beat, but I have to agree that TARAus is better than the current US versions, but definitely nowhere near as good as some of the original TAR. :tup:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
Obviously the earlier seasons of TAR are the best seasons, and they will be close to impossible to beat, but I have to agree that TARAus is better than the current US versions, but definitely nowhere near as good as some of the original TAR. :tup:

This. I say split the American seasons into two sets, Pre-All Stars and Post-All Stars. It's not really fair to compare a show with 20 seasons to one with 2, as all shows decline in quality.

With the exception of the Pre-Allstar seasons, I think HaMerotz LaMillion is the best. Since most legs span 2-3 episodes, each longer than the 43 minutes of the US version, you get to know the teams more and there are many more tasks in each leg.

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »

This. I say split the American seasons into two sets, Pre-All Stars and Post-All Stars. It's not really fair to compare a show with 20 seasons to one with 2, as all shows decline in quality.

With the exception of the Pre-Allstar seasons, I think HaMerotz LaMillion is the best. Since most legs span 2-3 episodes, each longer than the 43 minutes of the US version, you get to know the teams more and there are many more tasks in each leg.

I wanna watch TARI but its hard to understand. even the names are impossible to know as well as the placings.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
You wouldn't have the Australian (or Asian, Norwegian, Israeli, etc) franchises without the American one.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
I agree! I feel as if the first 1-7 seasons of TAR were magical, but that being said, the last 2 seasons have been dismal. There was something about the first 1-3 seasons of TAR that needs to be recaptured if TAR is to overtake TARAus as, in my eyes, best franchise!

I didn't think that 2,4 and 6 were very magical.  The American one can get lazy sometimes now and not test contestants enough.  This year they really needed more self-navigation and just more travelling and challenges.  I know some say they are happy with it just being a tourist show with nice scenery but it is meant to be a race.

Has anyone done subtitles for the Norwegian one?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:19:36 AM by starrynight »

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
I myself have only seen Post-All-Stars and TARAus so I would have to say TARAus is better than the American version. There are two reasons, in my opinion, this is true. One, the casting of TARAus has been spectacular. Secondly, TARAus has had more tasks (Averaging about 3 per leg) and difficult tasks.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
Right now, the best franchises are the Australian and Israeli without a doubt. China and Norway are also up there a bit.

paldog123456

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
The Amazing Race Australia obviously. TARA is decent if you minus away Allan Wu's weird hosting style and too many mactors on the show. AND ALL OF THE PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »
TAR AU is top for me then its US then Asian.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »
I reckon that TARAus is better that TARUS and TARA.

Also, in TARUS i reckon the best seasons were the recurring racers ones and the ones before them. (TAR10,11,17,18)

Offline APABLD

• RFF Jr. Member
    • adouangchak YouTube
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
I've only seen Aus and US, but I like them for different reasons- the US version has some great challenges and is intense, while the Australian one is excellent and has a lot of humour.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a worldwide All-Stars? Maybe 4 teams each from Aus, US and Asia.

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR/Surv/BB/?? junkie ;)
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
I've only seen Aus and US, but I like them for different reasons- the US version has some great challenges and is intense, while the Australian one is excellent and has a lot of humour.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a worldwide All-Stars? Maybe 4 teams each from Aus, US and Asia.
Ultimate TAR!

Take a winners from each franchise and see who is the ultimate racer!

Offline GonzaloChileno

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 09:13:53 PM »
My list from best to worst  (not including American version, because it is the original and best one) would be:
1.The Amazing Race Australia. (The two seasons have been way better than some American races)
2.The Amazing Race Israel. (Would be #1 if it wasnt in Hebrew)
3.The Amazing Race Norge. (Same as Israel)
4.The Amazing Race Latinoamerica. (Probably because it is from my own region, and teams represent me more than other versions)
5.The Amazing Race China Rush. (Really good franchise, too bad it is only in China)
6.The Amazing Race Asia. (It was good but too much product placement, and only one memorable race (2))
7.The Amazing Race Brazil. (If it wasnt only on Brazil it would be 4, really fun teams)
8.The Amazing Race Vietnam. (Is this even part of TAR family?, what a bad franchise! low budget, and a language that i cant understand (unlike Norwegian & Hebrew), the only good thing is that they travel all across beautiful Vietnam)
Charla&MirnaLover<3

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »

Ultimate TAR!

The only problem is that not all franchises speak the same language.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »
My list from best to worst  (not including American version, because it is the original and best one) would be:
1.The Amazing Race Australia. (The two seasons have been way better than some American races)
4.The Amazing Race Latinoamerica. (Probably because it is from my own region, and teams represent me more than other versions)
5.The Amazing Race China Rush. (Really good franchise, too bad it is only in China)
6.The Amazing Race Asia. (It was good but too much product placement, and only one memorable race (2))
7.The Amazing Race Brazil. (If it wasnt only on Brazil it would be 4, really fun teams)
8.The Amazing Race Vietnam. (Is this even part of TAR family?, what a bad franchise! low budget, and a language that i cant understand (unlike Norwegian & Hebrew), the only good thing is that they travel all across beautiful Vietnam)
I like it. :( The recent episodes are pretty good. So let's bump it up a few spots.
But then that would leave Brazil at the bottom and I like that season, so let's bump that up. Asia was also good so it shouldn't be last, and China Rush is constantly improving. The first Latin American season was outstanding and outweighs the other two season, but then again Norge was also really good. I've already mentioned my love for Israel, and Australia is really good. That leaves the US version as worst, which is certainly not true. Whoops, now Vietnam is at the bottom again.

It's too hard to rank them by series, so I'd much rather do it by season.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 11:49:48 PM »

Ultimate TAR!

I can see it now.

18 teams race across 7 continents, 15 countries, over 50 cities, 20 legs all for 5 millon dollers in cash. Who will win This Maybe Too Amazing Race.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:01:08 AM by theamazingracer21 »

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 12:33:29 AM »
I like it. :( The recent episodes are pretty good. So let's bump it up a few spots.
But then that would leave Brazil at the bottom and I like that season, so let's bump that up. Asia was also good so it shouldn't be last, and China Rush is constantly improving. The first Latin American season was outstanding and outweighs the other two season, but then again Norge was also really good. I've already mentioned my love for Israel, and Australia is really good. That leaves the US version as worst, which is certainly not true. Whoops, now Vietnam is at the bottom again.

It's too hard to rank them by series, so I'd much rather do it by season.

last two episodes of TARV is very decent and the best among the franchise. i still understand why it is not like the other TAR but at least we have aomething else to watch.

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 02:31:05 AM »
Hmm, in my opinion, I still think the US version has a one-up on the other franchises. I think some of the episodes of the current TAR:Aus have been better or just as good as that of TAR20, but the latest US season had what I thought was a diverse cast (10 minority racers, yay!), fun locations, some cool tasks & I always love me some DRAMA! The great thing going for TAR:Aus right now is that the teams I didn't particularly care for have been eliminated one after another...unlike the first Australian season where all the entertaining teams were eliminated one after another and gave us a final three that I thought were pretty bland compared to the other teams.

And having seen every episode of TAR:US, TAR:Aus, TAR:CR & TARA (most of them more than once), I don't like seeing tasks reused or even entire legs reused, which TAR:Aus did for most of the first leg of this current season and did a lot of during their first season. Most people probably don't care because they hadn't seen all the episodes or like seeing a new cast tackle old challenges, but I prefer seeing new things (which TAR:US almost always offers).

Great thing with TAR:Aus is that they get an extra 5 minutes per episode that the US version doesn't. Five minutes may not seem like much, but that's 5 more minutes to get to know the teams and maybe even get in an extra task or two, so I don't blame people for enjoying the Aussie version a little more.

But anyway, I still think TAR:US reigns supreme followed closely behind by TAR: Aus, then China Rush and then TARA (great first season, but went downhill with each season that followed). Tried watching Israel but some of their tasks just seemed too silly. Finding time to watch Norway, which seems good.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 03:01:11 AM »

8. and a language that i cant understand (unlike Norwegian & Hebrew)

Well it obviously isn't their fault that they speak a language you don't understand.  I'm sure you didn't mean it like that but that's how it ended up looking.  :D

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 04:48:50 AM »
I think one reason I wasn't bothered much about TARAus repeating tasks was that I didn't watch TARA4. TBH, if TARA and TARAus were doing the exact same tasks I would rather go with TARAus. I just don't like most of the casting and all the product placement in TARA.

TARLA1 was epic, TARLA2 was OK, but TARLA3 was plain sucky. The main issues I have with this are: unnecessary changes to the rules (though they came up with the concept of the double battle), ultra low budget, generic tasks, executive meddling trying to save a mactor team. It is just too limited and like I said it's "too cheap to do anything nice". Also, their visuals are tacky.

I would love for TARLA to follow the example of China Rush, at least showing some effort when designing non-extreme tasks. My issue with TARCR is that legs tend to be very repetitive, but the drama they offer is pure gold.

Between TARAus and TAR is difficult to judge which one's the best, because being one of the newest, TARAus has the advantage of knowing what works and what doesn't. That way they avoid early TAR's mistakes and venture outside the box. I like that TARAus is brave enough to try different changes in the format such as having the voting U-Turn and the Yield. I guess after ranting I feel like TAR is too conservative and they only use surprise twists like the Intersection once every other blue moon.

I have yet to watch TARB, TARI, TARN and TARV.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move