Author Topic: TARAus2 Episode 2 (India) Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 21892 times)

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
Re: TARAus2 Episode 2 (India) Episode Discussion Thread *Spoilers*
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 06:02:15 AM »
because this has a spoiler in it, I guess it's best to put tonight's commentary show here..  ;)
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 06:07:46 AM »

OKAY.. START!

Previously, 11 teams race out of Sydney..

11 teams reamiin who will be eliminated next...

INTRO...

Position :

Ross & Tarryn   
Kym & Donna   
James & Sarah   
Sue & Teresa   
Sticky & Sam   
Joseph & Grace   
Michelle & Jo   
Shane & Andrew   
Adam & Dane   
Paul & Steve   
Lucy & Emilia

Offline howie_2010

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »
Have they done away with roadblocks this season or something?!

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 07:18:35 AM »
so confused right now......

i was positive that the driving test was an RB for this episode..

and now our speculated boot order is completely changed because Kym and Donna are safe, when we were sure they were going to be eliminated.. im glad theyre still in because i love them!!

still confused though...

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
so confused right now......

i was positive that the driving test was an RB for this episode..

and now our speculated boot order is completely changed because Kym and Donna are safe, when we were sure they were going to be eliminated.. im glad theyre still in because i love them!!

still confused though...

well, as soon as I realized that there are more tasks when we try to match them in between the preview and the spoiled sightings/promos, then I thought we're gonna have 2 legs in India...

but I don't know in which one that the driving roadblock will take place.. now we know i'ts for Leg-3..  :tup:

Offline Obbyz

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 07:53:36 AM »
Still wondering how come the cops catch up so fast?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARAus2 Episode 2 (India) Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
Two episodes in and no Roadblocks? That's got to be a first.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline zeeyyy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »
Still wondering how come the cops catch up so fast?

I think they got a good 2nd taxi driver, not like the 1st driver who took them for a ride, literally.  :lol: :lol:

Offline zeeyyy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 11:09:33 PM »
I don't understand why Adam & Dane were disqualified becos per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race#Money :-

"If team members spend all of their money or have it taken away in a non-elimination Leg, they may try to get more money in any way that does not violate the local laws. This includes borrowing money from other teams, begging from locals or selling their possessions. Since season seven, teams have been prevented from begging at United States airports. Additionally, teams may not use their personal possessions to barter payment for services."

Unless the above applies to TAR US editions only? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_Australia ) = "Most of the rules and penalties are adopted directly from the American edition; but in some of cases, the Australian version has been seen to have a unique set of additional rules."  :duno:

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 11:10:55 PM »
I don't get that part where people are getting so upset with their taxidrivers.
I mean I get why you're annoyed and don't want to pay rip off prices but once a guy has that attitude anyway (i.e. rip off the rich tourist), just stop the taxt/tuktuk, give the guy what you owe him and get a new one..

Just jumping into a new one or making a scene in the middle of the street generally will get you know where as history has proven time and again. I totally get why the rush of the race gets the adrenaline pumping and the feeling that someone is ripping you off is definitely very annoying - so I get the urge to do what they and Sarah did, but the point is, it's just going to cost you heaps of time.

And that's the one thing you just have even less of than money in a race..  :duno:
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »
I don't understand why Adam & Dane were disqualified becos per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race#Money :-

"If team members spend all of their money or have it taken away in a non-elimination Leg, they may try to get more money in any way that does not violate the local laws. This includes borrowing money from other teams, begging from locals or selling their possessions. Since season seven, teams have been prevented from begging at United States airports. Additionally, teams may not use their personal possessions to barter payment for services."

Unless the above applies to TAR US editions only? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_Australia ) = "Most of the rules and penalties are adopted directly from the American edition; but in some of cases, the Australian version has been seen to have a unique set of additional rules."  :duno:

Hmmm I was actually pondering the same thing. It's kind of a gray area I guess, where they are making the rules as they come along and judge it per situation. I remember a similar situation I think on TAR where a team got 4 hours penalty for selling their stuff too.
So I can see why they want to be consistent, but at the same time, the begging for money wasn't a problem before and now this is. It does feel a little off, especially since this is the second time a team has gotten themselves into real trouble (this time alas fatally so) by being clearly ripped off by a taxidriver.

I'm not sure whether this is just naivety of some of these teams in how to deal with taxidrivers in some countries (i.e. negotiate a price in advance often works better even if they have a taximeter, because the taximeters can have different increments, they'll just change it if they think their ride can afford it in some cases..) . In places like India that is definitely something to be aware of. Yet I kinda doubt that the other teams took a lot of precautions of this type either.  :duno:

Either way I agree with you that it seems muddled waters really, when sometimes it sways in someone's favor and sometimes it doesn't. It feels even more off because they otherwise ran a decent enough leg and were out by just a few minutes, beaten by some teams that did significantly worse.  :(
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. :)

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »

Unless the above applies to TAR US editions only? "  :duno:

That's completely wrong. In TAR US the racers are strictly prohibited of selling or bartering their own possessions. Look what happened in TAR 14 in Bangkok, Mark and Michael, had no money and they bartered some items to pay for two taxi rides so they were issued 2 penalties each for 2-hours.
In comparison to that the 30 minutes penalty to Adam and Dane was not much.

Plus don't trust wikipedia, as far as I know there's never been an official rule book.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 12:08:39 AM »
I don't understand how the teams could be "scheduled to land" at 12:50am, when flight status show that their flight landed at 1:00am (with a 16-min delay). 

They took PR 752, which was delayed in Bangkok for 36 mins, and departed at 10pm on time in Bangkok and landed in Delhi at 1:16am (16 minutes delayed)

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/kevinmail25/Amazing%20Race%20Photos/?action=view&current=tarleg2flight.jpg
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:15:23 AM by redskevin88 »

Offline zeeyyy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »
Plus don't trust wikipedia, as far as I know there's never been an official rule book.

Point noted but without wiki, where else can I check the facts?  :duno:

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 04:19:47 AM »

Point noted but without wiki, where else can I check the facts?  :duno:

I've read somewhere (I think on TARfly) that teams are told specific rules but are not allowed to reveal them. I guess there is no way to truly know the Amazing Race Rulebook unless you're on the show yourself.

This incident occurred in season 14 of the american version to Mark and Michael, so I'm not surprised that rule applies here/

Plus, the result is not terribly disastrous, the sisters are still in.  :yess:
Bring on the 21!

Offline zeeyyy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 05:04:15 AM »
Plus, the result is not terribly disastrous, the sisters are still in.  :yess:

To me, when a "race" is mentioned, I always thought that the "fittest" will prevail, & these sisters are just not that type, but they sure are LUCKY!  :keeta:

For 2 successive legs they came in last but were saved by a pass & a penalty.  )-**

I would prefer that for the cousins to be in the race to "check" the so-called alpha guys...  (:;)

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 06:31:23 AM »
I've read somewhere (I think on TARfly) that teams are told specific rules but are not allowed to reveal them. I guess there is no way to truly know the Amazing Race Rulebook unless you're on the show yourself.

If so, then we can assume that most of the racers did not pay attention while the production team explained and described each and every details of the rules, because they are "Literally" don't know or maybe forget  :duno:  some of them may thought "we just sold some of our stuff, we don't really know if it's breaking the rules or not, we just see if there's any consequences at the pit stop.."

but yeah, when you're racing , your mind could go all over the place, all you want to do is to get yourself secured and get into the next leg.. so we should accept both from the production point of view and from the racers point of view, they're all have their own points..  :tup:

Offline zeeyyy

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 08:24:41 AM »
If so, then we can assume that most of the racers did not pay attention while the production team explained and described each and every details of the rules, because they are "Literally" don't know or maybe forget  :duno: 

This is Dane's exit interview ( http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-amazing-race-australia/news/article/-/13864963/elimination-interview-with-dane-adam/ ) when he was asked "What advice would you give to people who want to sign up for The Amazing Race Australia?"

He said: "READ THE CLUE! (and the RULES)..."

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
As much as I liked Adam & Dane, I thought the 30-minute penalty was exceptionally lenient, considering Mark & Michael as kiki said.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
My opinion on the "selling possessions rule"

You may not sell any personal items that you brought will you for the race how ever you may sell any possessions that you bought with the Race money.

Offline Topita

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
As much as I liked Adam & Dane, I thought the 30-minute penalty was exceptionally lenient, considering Mark & Michael as kiki said.
Hmmm not sure if I would call it that, I think it was in proportion to the leg tbh.
I mean there wasn't any long distance travelling involved if I remember correctly, no flights or other big things to trip the others up (well apart from taxi drivers ripping people off and crazy traffic, but nothing that would make a 2 hour difference for example).

Had they gotten a much larger penalty they would have simply been out of the race without a fighting chance. As it stands I think the last teams to come in actually did a poor job of it to finish almost half an hour after the others because the tasks were not that hard, physically . Frustrating to some degree maybe but definitely do-able imho.  :)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
Has this season canceled the RoadBlock setting?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

paldog123456

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
Has this season canceled the RoadBlock setting?

Probably not. TAR 15 did a similar format, with the first 2 legs only having Roadblocks (instead of Detours like in TARAUS) and additional tasks.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
Hmmm not sure if I would call it that, I think it was in proportion to the leg tbh.
I mean there wasn't any long distance travelling involved if I remember correctly, no flights or other big things to trip the others up (well apart from taxi drivers ripping people off and crazy traffic, but nothing that would make a 2 hour difference for example).

Had they gotten a much larger penalty they would have simply been out of the race without a fighting chance. As it stands I think the last teams to come in actually did a poor job of it to finish almost half an hour after the others because the tasks were not that hard, physically . Frustrating to some degree maybe but definitely do-able imho.  :)

Well that's a fair point, but I like consistency, so I would rather see the same penalty for the same crime, although it's understandable that the rules would differ between different international versions. :tup:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »
I don't understand how the teams could be "scheduled to land" at 12:50am, when flight status show that their flight landed at 1:00am (with a 16-min delay). 

They took PR 752, which was delayed in Bangkok for 36 mins, and departed at 10pm on time in Bangkok and landed in Delhi at 1:16am (16 minutes delayed)

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/kevinmail25/Amazing%20Race%20Photos/?action=view&current=tarleg2flight.jpg
redskevin,

I don't see what your problem is. The data you have presented show that flight PR752 on some date in late November (and I assume you mean Nov. 21) had a scheduled departure of 10pm. PR752 is consistently late in departing and on that night it did not until 1020pm. Then there is a 1.5 hour time difference between Thailand and India. The actual flight is scheduled to arrive at 1am, but is also consistently late. So PR 752 on the date in question  actually arrived at 116am India time. I see nothing unusual about that.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:15:39 AM by apskip »