Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Author Topic: TAR 21: Bitch, Moan, and Squeal Thread **Spoilers Inside!**  (Read 22618 times)

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 21: Bitch, Moan, and Squeal Thread **Spoilers Inside!**
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2012, 09:26:23 AM »
No new countries?! :( I thought we had Gibraltar, lol

We were close through Ibiza!

We were eventually bound to have a season where no new countries were to be featured.

However, we have underutilized countries: Spain (No full leg ever), Turkey (1 leg), Bangladesh (1 leg), Indonesia (1 season).
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Theodorus

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • A million dollars? Drink with Jamy after the show?
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »
I really hope we'll see at least one new country :(
TAR Greece: Soon. DTAR 2: Soon
#FF7F50

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »

We were eventually bound to have a season where no new countries were to be featured.

However, we have underutilized countries: Spain (No full leg ever), Turkey (1 leg), Bangladesh (1 leg), Indonesia (1 season).

leafsfan,

Where did you get your data on "no full leg ever" for Spain? Of course this depends on how you count it, but AR10 ep. 12 teams had a ROADBLOCK in Casablanca then flew to Barcelona for an exciting episode ending at Montjuic. The finale, ep. 13 started with finding Gaudi's unfinished church before flying to Paris. The way I count it that makes a full leg in Barcelona. 

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »

leafsfan,

Where did you get your data on "no full leg ever" for Spain? Of course this depends on how you count it, but AR10 ep. 12 teams had a ROADBLOCK in Casablanca then flew to Barcelona for an exciting episode ending at Montjuic. The finale, ep. 13 started with finding Gaudi's unfinished church before flying to Paris. The way I count it that makes a full leg in Barcelona.

I calculated on the fact the roadblock was in Morocco that is the only reason.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
I look at legs as pit stop to pit stop (basically), and by that measure, we had not had a full leg in Spain, apparently, until now. Half legs, yes. But not a full leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • HATES prediction rounds.
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2012, 07:44:57 AM »
Every season has that one team that I go... "Are you kidding me" in good ways. Like, never expected that kind of team, and really interested in that said team.

And then there's the beauty queen thing. I don't get the obsession with them.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Missing Apskip :(
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »
Every season has that one team that I go... "Are you kidding me" in good ways. Like, never expected that kind of team, and really interested in that said team.

And then there's the beauty queen thing. I don't get the obsession with them.

I think you will get a big dose of this with Brittany & Caitlin   ;)

Just my speculation.  It will depend on the editing.   :lol:
Documenting her Race Around the World:  Wild Eyes
Our children, what are they going to amount to?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #lookatmyeyesroll
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »
25,000 mile is pretty WTF.

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

:res: :res: :res: :res: :res:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
I know. No big jigs or jags into Africa, Austalia, or ....Antarctica!!  :gaah:
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

Joab, your estimate is not the remotest bit close to the real mileage for AR5. It appears that you are using either a World Race Productions source (notorious for overestimating the mileage of Amazing Races) or some other invalid source. Here are the statistics for each of the legs, using www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/howfar.htm. I am going to approach this by separating out the air miles, which I will show as statute miles at the conversion factor of 1.15 statute miles/air mile, from the fairly small ground transportation segments, which will be in statue miles to start with. One approximation which will tend to understate the air miles is that real trips involve connections at airports not on the line between the origination and destination point. I have used connecting points in only a few instances where I know them.

Here are those segments:                                                                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                                         Air Miles   Statute Miles   
1. Los Angeles to Montevideo                                                                                                                                    6182
   Montevideo to Punta del Este                                                                                                                                                   90
2. Punta del Este to Montevideo                                                                                                                                                  90
   Montevideo to Buenos Aires                                                                                                                                                   150
3. Buenos Aires to San Carlos de Bariloche                                                                                                                    857
4. San Carlos de Bariloche to Buenos Aires                                                                                                                                  947
5. Buenos Aires to St. Petersburg                                                                                                                                8171
6. St. Petersburg to Cairo                                                                                                                                           2073
7. Cairo to Nairobi                                                                                                                                                     2173
    Nairobi to Kilimanjaro airport                                                                                                                                    100
    Kilimanjaro to Mto Wa Mbu                                                                                                                                      100
8. Mto Wa Mbu to Kilimanjaro                                                                                                                                       100 
    Kilimanjaro to Nairobi                                                                                                                                              100
    Nairobi to Dubai                                                                                                                                                    2181
9. Dubai to Calcutta                                                                                                                                                  2100
10. Calcutta to Auckland                                                                                                                                            5907
11Auckland                                                                                                                                                              4922
12. Manila to El Nido Island                                                                                                                                         231
13. El Nido Island to Manila                                                                                                                                          231
     Manila to Calgary                                                                                                                                                 6862
     Calgary to Banff                                                                                                                                                                  80
     Banff to Calgary                                                                                                                                                                  80
     Calgary to Denver                                                                                                                                                  939 
     Denver to Dallas/Ft. Worth                                                                                                                                      658
     DFW to Ft. Worth                                                                                                                                                                 25

That gives me a total of 43225 air miles, which is equivalent to 49709 statute miles. Direct statute miles from ground segments total 1924. The total in statute mile equivalents is 51633, more than 20,000 miles short of 72K.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:42:58 AM by apskip »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:35 PM »
I'm not going to try and compute this, but there were seasons where I thought someone in production confused statute miles for kilometers, because that was about the only way the number used by Phil on the finish mat or in promos could even be close to the actual statute miles. :)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
I know. No big jigs or jags into Africa, Austalia, or ....Antarctica!!  :gaah:

is that a possibility for future seasons? :lol:

apskip <3
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • GO ROCK THE ISLAND <3
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

I think it is 72K KILOMETERS, maybe?
Busy, but will come back <3

Offline Marionete

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

I think it is 72K KILOMETERS, maybe?
No, wikipedia says 72k miles, which transfers to 116k kilometers, so apparently they're mistaken.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »
Marionete, I think you are misreading what is being referred to. The thinking was that the 72,000 "miles" were actually kilometers, which would be about 44739 miles.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Charlie90

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
So are we counting the US in those 9 countries visited in this season? I seem to recall that the US is not counted but i could be wrong..hopefully im not :lol:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
So are we counting the US in those 9 countries visited in this season? I seem to recall that the US is not counted but i could be wrong..hopefully im not :lol:

Yes unfortunately when Phil says '8/9/10/11 countries' at the finish line, the count always includes the US, so we would assume the promo follows the same rules.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 06:50:21 AM »
Marionete, I think you are misreading what is being referred to. The thinking was that the 72,000 "miles" were actually kilometers, which would be about 44739 miles.
Oh, okay, then it seems right ;)

Yes unfortunately when Phil says '8/9/10/11 countries' at the finish line, the count always includes the US, so we would assume the promo follows the same rules.
Correct!
I just hope that if they're staying in Russia for a second leg and not having a double visit to The Netherlands, they visit some rural, less known place. :)

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »

Correct!
I just hope that if they're staying in Russia for a second leg and not having a double visit to The Netherlands, they visit some rural, less known place. :)
[/quote]

Yep! A location other than Moscow or St. Petersburg pls!
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline Airlines

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Victoria - Slaying your faves probably <3
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »
TBH, I reckon the second Russia leg is going to be Moscow & surrounds or maybe Sochi (2014 Winter Olympic Games, anyone?). I don't think they'll travel that far out eastwards because it will be ridiculous to go back towards The Netherlands.
Victoria Rafaeli - BB16 champion hopefully

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #lookatmyeyesroll
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

Joab, your estimate is not the remotest bit close to the real mileage for AR5. It appears that you are using either a World Race Productions source (notorious for overestimating the mileage of Amazing Races) or some other invalid source. Here are the statistics for each of the legs, using www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/howfar.htm. I am going to approach this by separating out the air miles, which I will show as statute miles at the conversion factor of 1.15 statute miles/air mile, from the fairly small ground transportation segments, which will be in statue miles to start with. One approximation which will tend to understate the air miles is that real trips involve connections at airports not on the line between the origination and destination point. I have used connecting points in only a few instances where I know them.

Here are those segments:                                                                                                                                                                   
1. Los Angeles to Montevideo                                                                                                                                    6182
   Montevideo to Punta del Este                                                                                                                                                   90
2. Punta del Este to Montevideo                                                                                                                                                  90
   Montevideo to Buenos Aires                                                                                                                                                   150
3. Buenos Aires to San Carlos de Bariloche                                                                                                                    857
4. San Carlos de Bariloche to Buenos Aires                                                                                                                                  947
5. Buenos Aires to St. Petersburg                                                                                                                                8171
6. St. Petersburg to Cairo                                                                                                                                           2073
7. Cairo to Nairobi                                                                                                                                                     2173
    Nairobi to Kilimanjaro airport                                                                                                                                    100
    Kilimanjaro to Mto Wa Mbu                                                                                                                                      100
8. Mto Wa Mbu to Kilimanjaro                                                                                                                                       100 
    Kilimanjaro to Nairobi                                                                                                                                              100
    Nairobi to Dubai                                                                                                                                                    2181
9. Dubai to Calcutta                                                                                                                                                  2100
10. Calcutta to Auckland                                                                                                                                            5907
11Auckland                                                                                                                                                              4922
12. Manila to El Nido Island                                                                                                                                         231
13. El Nido Island to Manila                                                                                                                                          231
     Manila to Calgary                                                                                                                                                 6862
     Calgary to Banff                                                                                                                                                                  80
     Banff to Calgary                                                                                                                                                                  80
     Calgary to Denver                                                                                                                                                  939 
     Denver to Dallas/Ft. Worth                                                                                                                                      658
     DFW to Ft. Worth                                                                                                                                                                 25

That gives me a total of 43225 air miles, which is equivalent to 49709 statute miles. Direct statute miles from ground segments total 1924. The total in statute mile equivalents is 51633, more than 20,000 miles short of 72K.

YES, I AM USING A WORLD RACE PRODUCTION SOURCE. CAN'T I?  :res:

I have absolute trust with Phil and his words at the finish line. :) Who cares about evidence and statistics. They could have included all the layovers, transfers or road travelled distance without YOUR knowledge. :)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
I'm going to repeat myself:

I've manage to explain already where the 72,000 came from; someone at WRP muxed up kilometers and miles and how they managed to let that mistake slip through I still have no indea.
-- theschnauzers

Online Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Golden Ball.
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
Totally agree with Joab on this one. Why tha hell we need to research? They SAID IT , even if it's wrong , it's in them that we'll believe , obviously.
"I don't drink. But when i do , i become another person. And that one , drinks a lot."

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

Here are those segments:                                                                                                                                                                   

YES, I AM USING A WORLD RACE PRODUCTION SOURCE. CAN'T I?  :res:

I have absolute trust with Phil and his words at the finish line. :) Who cares about evidence and statistics. They could have included all the layovers, transfers or road travelled distance without YOUR knowledge. :)

Dont trust Phil. At the Season 20 Finish Line he said "9 countries".
1. USA
2. Argentina
3. Paraguay
4. Italy
5. Austria
6. Germany
7. Azerbijian
8. Tanzania
9. India
10. Japan

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters