Author Topic: TAR 21: Bitch, Moan, and Squeal Thread **Spoilers Inside!**  (Read 71829 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR 21: Bitch, Moan, and Squeal Thread **Spoilers Inside!**
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:35 PM »
I'm not going to try and compute this, but there were seasons where I thought someone in production confused statute miles for kilometers, because that was about the only way the number used by Phil on the finish mat or in promos could even be close to the actual statute miles. :)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
I know. No big jigs or jags into Africa, Austalia, or ....Antarctica!!  :gaah:

is that a possibility for future seasons? :lol:

apskip <3
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
25,000 mile is pretty WTF.

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

:res: :res: :res: :res: :res:

I think it is 72K KILOMETERS, maybe?

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

I think it is 72K KILOMETERS, maybe?
No, wikipedia says 72k miles, which transfers to 116k kilometers, so apparently they're mistaken.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »
Marionete, I think you are misreading what is being referred to. The thinking was that the 72,000 "miles" were actually kilometers, which would be about 44739 miles.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Charlie90

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
So are we counting the US in those 9 countries visited in this season? I seem to recall that the US is not counted but i could be wrong..hopefully im not :lol:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
So are we counting the US in those 9 countries visited in this season? I seem to recall that the US is not counted but i could be wrong..hopefully im not :lol:

Yes unfortunately when Phil says '8/9/10/11 countries' at the finish line, the count always includes the US, so we would assume the promo follows the same rules.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2012, 06:50:21 AM »
Marionete, I think you are misreading what is being referred to. The thinking was that the 72,000 "miles" were actually kilometers, which would be about 44739 miles.
Oh, okay, then it seems right ;)

Yes unfortunately when Phil says '8/9/10/11 countries' at the finish line, the count always includes the US, so we would assume the promo follows the same rules.
Correct!
I just hope that if they're staying in Russia for a second leg and not having a double visit to The Netherlands, they visit some rural, less known place. :)

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »

Correct!
I just hope that if they're staying in Russia for a second leg and not having a double visit to The Netherlands, they visit some rural, less known place. :)
[/quote]

Yep! A location other than Moscow or St. Petersburg pls!
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »
TBH, I reckon the second Russia leg is going to be Moscow & surrounds or maybe Sochi (2014 Winter Olympic Games, anyone?). I don't think they'll travel that far out eastwards because it will be ridiculous to go back towards The Netherlands.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

Joab, your estimate is not the remotest bit close to the real mileage for AR5. It appears that you are using either a World Race Productions source (notorious for overestimating the mileage of Amazing Races) or some other invalid source. Here are the statistics for each of the legs, using www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/howfar.htm. I am going to approach this by separating out the air miles, which I will show as statute miles at the conversion factor of 1.15 statute miles/air mile, from the fairly small ground transportation segments, which will be in statue miles to start with. One approximation which will tend to understate the air miles is that real trips involve connections at airports not on the line between the origination and destination point. I have used connecting points in only a few instances where I know them.

Here are those segments:                                                                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                                         Air Miles   Statute Miles   
1. Los Angeles to Montevideo                                                                                                                                    6182
   Montevideo to Punta del Este                                                                                                                                                   90
2. Punta del Este to Montevideo                                                                                                                                                  90
   Montevideo to Buenos Aires                                                                                                                                                   150
3. Buenos Aires to San Carlos de Bariloche                                                                                                                    857
4. San Carlos de Bariloche to Buenos Aires                                                                                                                                  947
5. Buenos Aires to St. Petersburg                                                                                                                                8171
6. St. Petersburg to Cairo                                                                                                                                           2073
7. Cairo to Nairobi                                                                                                                                                     2173
    Nairobi to Kilimanjaro airport                                                                                                                                    100
    Kilimanjaro to Mto Wa Mbu                                                                                                                                      100
8. Mto Wa Mbu to Kilimanjaro                                                                                                                                       100 
    Kilimanjaro to Nairobi                                                                                                                                              100
    Nairobi to Dubai                                                                                                                                                    2181
9. Dubai to Calcutta                                                                                                                                                  2100
10. Calcutta to Auckland                                                                                                                                            5907
11Auckland                                                                                                                                                              4922
12. Manila to El Nido Island                                                                                                                                         231
13. El Nido Island to Manila                                                                                                                                          231
     Manila to Calgary                                                                                                                                                 6862
     Calgary to Banff                                                                                                                                                                  80
     Banff to Calgary                                                                                                                                                                  80
     Calgary to Denver                                                                                                                                                  939 
     Denver to Dallas/Ft. Worth                                                                                                                                      658
     DFW to Ft. Worth                                                                                                                                                                 25

That gives me a total of 43225 air miles, which is equivalent to 49709 statute miles. Direct statute miles from ground segments total 1924. The total in statute mile equivalents is 51633, more than 20,000 miles short of 72K.

YES, I AM USING A WORLD RACE PRODUCTION SOURCE. CAN'T I?  :res:

I have absolute trust with Phil and his words at the finish line. :) Who cares about evidence and statistics. They could have included all the layovers, transfers or road travelled distance without YOUR knowledge. :)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
I'm going to repeat myself:

I've manage to explain already where the 72,000 came from; someone at WRP muxed up kilometers and miles and how they managed to let that mistake slip through I still have no indea.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
Totally agree with Joab on this one. Why tha hell we need to research? They SAID IT , even if it's wrong , it's in them that we'll believe , obviously.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

Joab, your estimate is not the remotest bit close to the real mileage for AR5. It appears that you are using either a World Race Productions source (notorious for overestimating the mileage of Amazing Races) or some other invalid source. Here are the statistics for each of the legs, using www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/howfar.htm. I am going to approach this by separating out the air miles, which I will show as statute miles at the conversion factor of 1.15 statute miles/air mile, from the fairly small ground transportation segments, which will be in statue miles to start with. One approximation which will tend to understate the air miles is that real trips involve connections at airports not on the line between the origination and destination point. I have used connecting points in only a few instances where I know them.

Here are those segments:                                                                                                                                                                   
1. Los Angeles to Montevideo                                                                                                                                    6182
   Montevideo to Punta del Este                                                                                                                                                   90
2. Punta del Este to Montevideo                                                                                                                                                  90
   Montevideo to Buenos Aires                                                                                                                                                   150
3. Buenos Aires to San Carlos de Bariloche                                                                                                                    857
4. San Carlos de Bariloche to Buenos Aires                                                                                                                                  947
5. Buenos Aires to St. Petersburg                                                                                                                                8171
6. St. Petersburg to Cairo                                                                                                                                           2073
7. Cairo to Nairobi                                                                                                                                                     2173
    Nairobi to Kilimanjaro airport                                                                                                                                    100
    Kilimanjaro to Mto Wa Mbu                                                                                                                                      100
8. Mto Wa Mbu to Kilimanjaro                                                                                                                                       100 
    Kilimanjaro to Nairobi                                                                                                                                              100
    Nairobi to Dubai                                                                                                                                                    2181
9. Dubai to Calcutta                                                                                                                                                  2100
10. Calcutta to Auckland                                                                                                                                            5907
11Auckland                                                                                                                                                              4922
12. Manila to El Nido Island                                                                                                                                         231
13. El Nido Island to Manila                                                                                                                                          231
     Manila to Calgary                                                                                                                                                 6862
     Calgary to Banff                                                                                                                                                                  80
     Banff to Calgary                                                                                                                                                                  80
     Calgary to Denver                                                                                                                                                  939 
     Denver to Dallas/Ft. Worth                                                                                                                                      658
     DFW to Ft. Worth                                                                                                                                                                 25

That gives me a total of 43225 air miles, which is equivalent to 49709 statute miles. Direct statute miles from ground segments total 1924. The total in statute mile equivalents is 51633, more than 20,000 miles short of 72K.

I have absolute trust with Phil and his words at the finish line. :) Who cares about evidence and statistics. They could have included all the layovers, transfers or road travelled distance without YOUR knowledge. :)

Dont trust Phil. At the Season 20 Finish Line he said "9 countries".
1. USA
2. Argentina
3. Paraguay
4. Italy
5. Austria
6. Germany
7. Azerbijian
8. Tanzania
9. India
10. Japan

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
Austria doesn't count.

Then why did Phil say 10 countries at Season 19's Finish Line?

Offline Kacper

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »
Austria doesn't count.

It does. They just don't count the States. Phil said 10 countries in season 19 cuz it was 10 countries..excluding the U.S.
Survivor: San Juan del Sur premieres Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8/7C on CBS
The Amazing Race 25 premieres Friday, September 26, 2014 8/7C on CBS

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2012, 10:19:53 PM »
Totally agree with Joab on this one. Why tha hell we need to research? They SAID IT , even if it's wrong , it's in them that we'll believe , obviously.

Oh please. There have been notorious errors in this regards. Of course WE never take things at face value, right? That's our job!! And there was some great mileage calculator tool that was brought up a few seasons back when this came up...wish we could find that post, it showed how crazy far off they can be!!

And whether ANY of you agree or disagree please do remember to be POLITE in saying so, okay?? :ghug:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2012, 12:07:52 AM »

[/quote]

Then why did Phil say 10 countries at Season 19's Finish Line?
[/quote]

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2012, 12:15:42 AM »
For the record, Austria does count. Teams were not only specifically directed to pick up their cars there, but is also listed in Wikipedia for a visit. And the Netherlands and Germany counted in TAR19, so this makes sense.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2012, 01:57:54 AM »
For the record, Austria does count. Teams were not only specifically directed to pick up their cars there, but is also listed in Wikipedia for a visit. And the Netherlands and Germany counted in TAR19, so this makes sense.

Thank you!!!  :hearts: This is why I cannot believe Phil said "5 continents, 9 countries..."

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »
I compared my total countries visited for each season with Phil's total, and he includes USA MOST of the time, but not all. There's only a few discrepancies:

In S3, England and Scotland are counted separately, but that could be counted either way.
In S9, Phil says 9 countries, but there are clearly 10 visited, so I can only assume they didn't count the USA this season. Brazil, Russia, Germany, Italy, Greece, Oman, Australia, Thailand, Japan and the USA all have tasks in them.
In S15, Phil says 8 countries, but there are 9 visited, so again, the USA isn't counted. Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, UAE, Netherlands, Sweden, Estonia, Czech Republic and USA all have tasks in them.
In S20, Phil says 9 countries, which would imply the exclusion of Austria or USA. I'm inclined to agree with Airlinesguy and say that this time, the USA was excluded.

So 2 or 3 times, Phil has excluded the USA, possible in the most recent season. I definitely don't think we can say for sure that the missing leg isn't in a new country.. (My money's on Slovakia!)

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2012, 08:05:13 AM »

Well why wouldn't he? It is a country after all and they do the most important tasks of the season there.

I know. No big jigs or jags into Africa, Austalia, or ....Antarctica!!  :gaah:

is that a possibility for future seasons? :lol:

apskip <3

I just love apskip's posts :hrt:

Offline Magnus

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »

This is a joke right? :lol3:

I love Phil and WRP too but they are obviously more interested in exaggerating the facts for marketing than actual precision. Phil is probably just reading a script. :lol:

Offline selfeviction

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

Here are those segments:                                                                                                                                                                   

1. USA
2. Argentina
3. Paraguay
4. Italy
5. Austria
6. Germany
7. Azerbijian
8. Tanzania
9. India
10. Japan
when did they visit austria?

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2012, 11:32:59 PM »

TAR 5 = 72,000 mile.

Here are those segments:                                                                                                                                                                   

1. USA
2. Argentina
3. Paraguay
4. Italy
5. Austria
6. Germany
7. Azerbijian
8. Tanzania
9. India
10. Japan
when did they visit austria?

Ehrwald train station (Leg 5) is in Austria.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez