Author Topic: Best and Worst final roadblocks you have seen?  (Read 13137 times)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Best and Worst final roadblocks you have seen?
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:52:39 AM »
I quite like those that are relatively simple in design but effective visually.  The best of those I've seen might be that in All Stars in the bank vault.  Great location, nice twist on the memory task involving both team members doing the task individually.

Worst I've seen was in the 5th season.  The maze was not just puzzling to the contestants I think it was for the viewer too.  It didn't work very well visually.  Maybe they needed an over the head shot of it the whole thing.  Apart from not explaining it too well I also heard they didn't show a large part of the task as it was quite complex/long/or didn't work too well on TV either.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
Re: Best and Worst final roadblocks you have seen?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:00 AM »
The worst one was TAR18, or TAR20, they didn't have any race memory tasks at all.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:03 AM »
The season 12 final roadblock was amazing.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:20:23 AM »
The season 12 had a certain complexity that was good, though the design wasn't as beautiful looking as some others I thought.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:37:35 AM »
TAR19 memory challenge was and looked AWESOME, the giant map
however it did not create any excitement or drama

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:51:50 AM »
TAR19 = worst.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:01:44 AM »
TAR11 =  :hearts:

TAR12 =  :hearts:

TAR13 =  :hearts:

TAR14 =  :hrt:

TAR15 =  :)

TAR16 =  :whoop:

TAR17 =  :hearts:

TAR18 =  :ignore:

TAR19 =  :zz:

TAR20 =  (:;)

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:04 AM »
For me the best is TAR 9 final RB wherein flags should be arranged in the order of their visit...  :conf:

Show content
And because BJ beat Eric in it.
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »
Well the maze wasn't a roadblock, so I guess you just want the final task?

My favorite  (possibly because it's the closest the race has been to me) is the maze. It was intense seeing Chip & Kim struggle so much with it and Colin & Christie have a strategy and blaze through it. Another that I like is the field of clueboxes from Season 13, it's my favorite memory challenge.

The worst final challenge is "Eat a pizza". It wasn't even a large pizza. This is of course ignoring the seasons that didn't have anything: Seasons 1, 2, 7, 10. Though if include those last two as having a task, Season 10 is the worst because of how unfair it was to slow people.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »
TAR18 was an awful final task. At least the TAR20 one fit with the season theme of get your hands dirty physical challenges. The TAR15 chip counting was whatever and so was the TAR16 team order thing.

The best designed of all time are the TAR9 flags, the TAR12 stage thing, the TAR13 picture wall and the TAR17 greeters. Interestingly the finales of TAR7 and 20 are the most exciting and memorable without the greatest final tasks.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
the roadblock of season 9 was just AMAZING! BJ &Tyler deserved winning. And it was really really great. S19 was booooring as hell. who cares about season 20 roadblock? Fortunately Art & JJ lost. so i love that roadblock.  :lol:

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »
The TAR18 Roadblock at that mermaid place was terrible. A luck-based Roadblock in the final leg? Really? :groan:

Normally, I hate it when the final leg doesn't have a memory challenge, but with TAR20, there was so much excitement going on that I actually didn't mind that there wasn't one. The tasks it included were exciting enough without a memory challenge.

Best for me are TAR9's flag challenge, TAR14's surfboard challenge, TAR17's greeter challenge, and what is sure to be an unpopular choice: TAR16's boot order challenge. Was it too simple? Yes, absolutely. But I loved that teams had to carry those treasure chests containing the team pictures through the streets of San Francisco.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
The best for me are definitely 12, 13, 14 and 17, with 3 and 9 coming close behind.

I'm inclined to say TAR20's was the worst, just because sledding shouldn't determine the winners of a million dollars (although I'm glad it did, lol :lol: ) but I definitely have to say that the worst two are TAR16 and TAR19. It's worse when they have a despicably easy memory task than not having a memory task at all, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed TAR18's final task, as it presented a lot of drama. It wasn't exactly a good task, but at least it was suspenseful! Same can be said for TAR15. :)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 05:19:09 PM »
Personally, I enjoyed the Surfboards in TAR14 and the Stage in TAR12! It created drama and interest and directly affected the outcome of the race!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »
12, 14 and 17 have been the greatest for me
Special mention to the animal totem way back in 3
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »
TAR 13 hundreds of clue boxes looked so exciting.

Worst is TAR 16. It was just too damm easy. Atleast TAR 19's big map has a physical element in it. TAR 16 has nothing. Anyone can finish it in less than a minute
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 03:33:50 AM »
For me the best is TAR 9 final RB wherein flags should be arranged in the order of their visit...  :conf:

But its being used to often. It was on TAR AU and TARA 2.

I like the game show board on TAR 17 and the world of clue boxes TAR 13 and the TAR 12 conumdrum

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 03:48:34 AM »
The TAR12 one was definitely the hardest one that there's ever been! ;)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:38 AM »

My favorite  (possibly because it's the closest the race has been to me) is the maze. It was intense seeing Chip & Kim struggle so much with it and Colin & Christie have a strategy and blaze through it. Another that I like is the field of clueboxes from Season 13, it's my favorite memory challenge.

The worst final challenge is "Eat a pizza". It wasn't even a large pizza. This is of course ignoring the seasons that didn't have anything: Seasons 1, 2, 7, 10. Though if include those last two as having a task, Season 10 is the worst because of how unfair it was to slow people.

Ok just call it a task if you want.  To me there are Roadblocks (have to be done) or detours (chance to switch).  Most Roadblocks are for one person obviously, but in the final 'challenge' it's better if it is for 2 people I think, so both team members are tested.

The pizza thing was weird and didn't even seem a task to me, it was more just what I would call a 'Delay Event'.  Don't know why they did it, to promote the pizza place or something?  It was obvously weak anyway, but as I say hardly any kind of challenge.

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR/Surv/BB/?? junkie ;)
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 08:18:38 AM »

Ok just call it a task if you want.  To me there are Roadblocks (have to be done) or detours (chance to switch).  Most Roadblocks are for one person obviously, but in the final 'challenge' it's better if it is for 2 people I think, so both team members are tested.

The pizza thing was weird and didn't even seem a task to me, it was more just what I would call a 'Delay Event'.  Don't know why they did it, to promote the pizza place or something?  It was obvously weak anyway, but as I say hardly any kind of challenge.
It would have been better if they had had a bigger pizza, like a full 16" they had to finish before continuing.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »

I like the game show board on TAR 17 and the world of clue boxes TAR 13 and the TAR 12 conumdrum

Who used it first?
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »

Who used it first?
Season 9 had a field full of several flags, but had a board that had the flags that would be used (plus a few extra), also teammates could help
Next was Asia Season 2, with 15-20 flags given but no hints, and only the one person could do it
Then Australia Season 1, which was exactly like the Asian one.

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »

Who used it first?
Season 9 had a field full of several flags, but had a board that had the flags that would be used (plus a few extra), also teammates could help
Next was Asia Season 2, with 15-20 flags given but no hints, and only the one person could do it
Then Australia Season 1, which was exactly like the Asian one.

There was a similar task in the final double leg of TARLA 2.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
Just saw season 18 and it seemed pretty much up to classic status until the absolutely stinking final leg.  :(

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
FINALE CHALLENGES

TAR 9 (flags <333)
TAR 11 (teammates should know each other's opinions, perfect fit for All-Stars)
TAR 12 (awesome logic)
TAR 13 (physical + mental + luck <333333)
TAR 14 (less amazing than its three predecessors, but yeah its a memory challenge so <3)
TAR 17 (greeters <333 did never expect them, though I still memorized the greeters haha)

TAR 19 (had the potential, but the teams are too smart so meh)
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 01:55:03 AM »
I'm going to go with 16 as the best. Yeah, it was easy, but that was kind of the point - they were expecting a big complex mental task, and it threw them for a loop when it wasn't even a task on its own but rather the second part of another task.

12's was good, as was 17's, but they both have big flaws - 17 using two random people as decoy greeters instead of picking two more hat-wearing former greeters, and 12 being easier than it looked. Solving it with logic alone, some of the clues/rules aren't even needed, and watching it as a fan of logic puzzles it just looked clumsy.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 02:20:19 AM »
on a time pressure, everything's different. So don't compare at home and at race. :neener:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
I feel that AR8 had the best ROADBLOCK, Wally Branson versus Nick Linz. The giant puzzle of North America was a real treat to watch (far better than the slightly similar geography challenge in AR19).

The second best ROADBLOCK was the scales and leg items for placement on the scales of AR12, Christina versus Rachel.

The worst ROADBLOCKs I know of are a tie between AR6 and AR10 for tandem skydiving. What a challenge (NOT) for the individuals selected! 

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
The one in AR19 at least looked good and was a good concept but they needed to make it more difficult, either physically or mentally. 

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 02:15:47 AM »
The one for season 16 was far too easy.  If it had been made more difficult there could still have been a close finish.  They could have made it harder to work out that the finish was at Candlestick Park as well.  I loved the virtual world task though so the finale wasn't completely boring.

Offline JordanJones123

• RFF Full Member
  • Jet and Cord should have won!
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 06:12:39 AM »
TAR 16 was my favourite. It was so, so simple, and even though both teams made it look easy (because it was), ill still never forget the teams running across San Francisco with those big trunks. This is what the race should do more - Showcase a city, make it look spectacular but also make it play second fiddle to the actual race! TAR 16 did this well, and capped off my fave season.

That being said TAR 9 was awesome because finishing where they started is so so awesome, and because the field of flags looked cool.

TAR 17 was different, and something you wouldn't expect teams to take note of - tho the winners did.

Jet and Cord are still the best!!! Bring them back!

'Maybe God didn't bless me so much with talent, but he gave me try'

Offline SoYoung

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
Worst : TARA 4. damn it's not even hard. I think I read that the TAR 19's final challenge is not a memory task at all. I read that the names of the country is already given, all they need to do is connect them. I'm not sure if I recall correctly.

Best: TAR 18 is pretty hard even it's not a memory task. The strong winds added so much challenge with the task. TAR 12 ( not sure if this is the first season of Ron and Christina or maybe S13 lol). the challenge where you put the items you met every leg . The flags are good final challenge but I don't want to see more of it for a change. TAR 13 ( not sure again), the surfing board memory task is good too.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
Worst : TARA 4. damn it's not even hard. I think I read that the TAR 19's final challenge is not a memory task at all. I read that the names of the country is already given, all they need to do is connect them. I'm not sure if I recall correctly.

Best: TAR 18 is pretty hard even it's not a memory task. The strong winds added so much challenge with the task. TAR 12 ( not sure if this is the first season of Ron and Christina or maybe S13 lol). the challenge where you put the items you met every leg . The flags are good final challenge but I don't want to see more of it for a change. TAR 13 ( not sure again), the surfing board memory task is good too.

No, TAR 19 is a memory challenge with a giant map. Teams have to connect them correctly based on their route. Jeremy & Sandy missed Indonesia back then.

Yes, you're right. TAR 12 is absolutely the best memory challenge so far. The surfing board is TAR 14 :tup: I like TAR 12, TAR 13 and TAR 14 memory task actually
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here