Author Topic: TAR 20 Ep 12 "It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires" Hawaii  (Read 126666 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: TAR 20 Ep 12 Honolulu,Hawaii
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
Notice that they do not have their back packs while going to the clue box but they do have back packs while the argument takes place later on.   :duno:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Notice that they do not have their back packs while going to the clue box but they do have back packs while the argument takes place later on.   :duno:

Is it possible to check the shadows on the press photo? :)
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR/Surv/BB/?? junkie ;)
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
That's why I said "someone who knows it could correct me about it"; and I haven't seen yet the promo pic you're talking about (at least at the moment I made my previous post); pic that you can maybe post and share it with us. :tup:
If you look on Page 6, a couple posts past the vid cap, you see R/D in the upper left with D taking off gloves, R/B in the upper right, heading towards a clue box, A/J lower left on a dock and R/V lower right with a blacked out background.  Using Googlemaps, I am about 99% sure I found the location where the cluebox B/R are running towards was, which is on the east side of the park that you later see them walking through and arguing in the vid.  My $.02, they take a taxi/drive to the cluebox location, get out and run to it, run back and get their backpacks, head through park and argue.  They are over 1/2 a mile from the cluebox where Rachel throws her bag at Brendon.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
That's why I said "someone who knows it could correct me about it"; and I haven't seen yet the promo pic you're talking about (at least at the moment I made my previous post); pic that you can maybe post and share it with us. :tup:
If you look on Page 6, a couple posts past the vid cap, you see R/D in the upper left with D taking off gloves, R/B in the upper right, heading towards a clue box, A/J lower left on a dock and R/V lower right with a blacked out background.  Using Googlemaps, I am about 99% sure I found the location where the cluebox B/R are running towards was, which is on the east side of the park that you later see them walking through and arguing in the vid.  My $.02, they take a taxi/drive to the cluebox location, get out and run to it, run back and get their backpacks, head through park and argue.  They are over 1/2 a mile from the cluebox where Rachel throws her bag at Brendon.

First:  ¡Ahhh, you mean that pic!  I thought you were talking about a new one.  My apologies.
Second:  We agree about the taxi ride.   :yess:. (no chopper no jetski)
Third:  According to your spec, clue must especify that they must walk to the next task o route marker/info because it should be close to that place.  If they found the clue box you skillfully located without problem - and I mean not wasting too much time - , and they are doing what the clue demands, the question is "what are they arguing about?" (or maybe is just another of Rachel's "drama queen moments"). )-**
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:21:40 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2012, 08:37:38 PM »

First:  ¡Ahhh, you mean that pic!  I thought you were talking about a new one.  My apologies.
Third:  According to your spec, clue must especify that they must walk to the next task o route marker/info because it should be close to that place.  If they found the clue box you skillfully located without problem - and I mean not wasting too much time - , and they are doing what the clue demands, the question is "what are they arguing about?" (or maybe is just another of Rachel's "drama queen moments"). )-**
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the drama queen.  Considering what we know of the timeline, R/B finished the towers 2nd and it seems likely they saw the 1st place team leave, so they KNOW they are not in 1st.  I don't know about the 1st place team, but it is known that B/R were on top of the towers for close to an hour before descending.  If anything held them up, I can see her falling apart, since 1) they have no idea how many tasks there will be(ie: time to possibly catch up), 2) they know they are not in 1st and possibly 3) the helo ride is from the park AND at scheduled intervals, which puts them that much farther behind.  This close to the end, she is going to be over the top, just like during BB last year.  Edit: Maybe they even ran out of money and had to walk.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:47:44 PM by bcp19 »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the drama queen.  Considering what we know of the timeline, R/B finished the towers 2nd and it seems likely they saw the 1st place team leave, so they KNOW they are not in 1st.  I don't know about the 1st place team, but it is known that B/R were on top of the towers for close to an hour before descending.  If anything held them up, I can see her falling apart, since 1) they have no idea how many tasks there will be(ie: time to possibly catch up), 2) they know they are not in 1st and possibly 3) the helo ride is from the park AND at scheduled intervals, which puts them that much farther behind.  This close to the end, she is going to be over the top, just like during BB last year.  Edit: Maybe they even ran out of money and had to walk.

I don't think Brenchel was on the towers for an hour. For one thing Chateau's shadow time was less than an hour from the time of Brendon's pic. The picture that is time stamped as an hour afterwards says the time was "modified" somehow.

Also I don't think the helo ride is from Sand Island because they still need to do the jetskis and the land surfing before they go to the finish line.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2012, 09:15:16 PM »

I don't think Brenchel was on the towers for an hour. For one thing Chateau's shadow time was less than an hour from the time of Brendon's pic. The picture that is time stamped as an hour afterwards says the time was "modified" somehow.

Also I don't think the helo ride is from Sand Island because they still need to do the jetskis and the land surfing before they go to the finish line.

Welll, Google map estimate the time of a car ride between One Waterfront Towers and Sand Island Park in 14 minutes more or less.  You also have to consider that December 19th was a Monday, what I suppose that means more traffic than a weekend.  So Chateau could be right about the time window for the caps.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #182 on: May 03, 2012, 11:26:01 PM »
Great work Everyone!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »

I thought the general consensus was that the JetSkis were on the North Shore or Windward side, which is why I was thinking a Helo ride from sand island made sense.  Also, it seems obvious that Brenchel walked across the park for something, and there is nothing where they are headed.  Too bad no one has a way of checking old flight plans, as I'm fairly sure you'd be able to figure something from them.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »

There's a possible number 4 option:  they got the clue at 1097 Sand Island Parkway clue box, and the clue could say something like "look for the jetskis (or the next task) on some especific location of Sand Island Park's beach" and maybe Brendon believed that it was close to the clue box's place, and that's why they released the taxi.  According to your map, it's a straight direction walk to the portion of beach in front of the clue box location.  When they found nothing there, maybe they asked somebody for help, they were told that is near the blue square point, what makes Rachel give us another of her drama queen moments because of the long walk, blaming Brendon for the mistake and - as you stated -  the loss of time.
(Just another theory  :duno:<)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:29:29 AM by Alenaveda »

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
will cbs release any press photo's for the finale ?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »
Probably not, they don't want to give away the final three. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »

There's a possible number 4 option:  they got the clue at 1097 Sand Island Parkway clue box, and the clue could say something like "look for the jetskis (or the next task) on some especific location of Sand Island Park's beach" and maybe Brendon believed that it was close to the clue box's place, and that's why they released the taxi.  According to your map, it's a straight direction walk to the portion of beach in front of the clue box location.  When they found nothing there, maybe they asked somebody for help, they were told that is near the blue square point, what makes Rachel give us another of her drama queen moments because of the long walk, blaming Brendon for the mistake and - as you stated -  the loss of time.
(Just another theory  :duno:<)

About the time question, in the TAR20 transport thread (reply number 189), Peach showed a schedule of the flights departing Osaka to Honolulu, where we can see that the arrivals were on a time window between 8.31 to 9.32am.  We don't know if teams did purchased those flights - even they looked as the most probable choice -; but if this is right, it's a 15-20 minutes travel by taxi to One Waterfront Towers from the airport (I found in Google maps 3 differents routes to reach O.T.W. from there). So, if teams flyed to Honolulu in the first flight (spec, and the rest from now on too), add the proper time of Migrations procedures and catch a cab outside the terminal, traffic, make the way up and descent, go to the park in a taxi, etc., and we can have the times Chateau was talking about.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »
So here is what we KNOW about the Hawaii leg.

1. Teams arrive on the same flight
2. They proceed directly to One Waterfront Towers and perform the task (At this point Brenchel is about 15 minutes behind Davechel)
3. Teams then go to Sand Island and receive a clue that instructs them to do.... :duno:
4. Rachel gets mad and they start walking quite a ways up the beach while arguing
5. There is a task (probably a RB) involving papa holua
6. There is a task involving rescuing a surfer with a jetski
7. There is a task or transport involving paddleboards
8. There is a task or transport involving helicopters

What we DON'T KNOW:

1. Whether or not there is a second roadblock and whether or not that task is one of the tasks we know about or an unknown task
2. What the task is that Phil tells a team they haven't done
3. The full story of points 3-8 above

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »

Uuuh , roadblock?
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

2. They proceed directly to One Waterfront Towers and perform the task (At this point Brenchel is about 15 minutes behind Davechel)
3. Teams then go to Sand Island and receive a clue that instructs them to do.... :duno:
4. Rachel gets mad and they start walking quite a ways up the beach while arguing

What we DON'T KNOW:

1. Whether or not there is a second roadblock and whether or not that task is one of the tasks we know about or an unknown task
Is 1 absolutely known?  I can see the 15 minute delay due to, say, customs/taxis between R/D and R/B arriving at the towers, but I thought I read in the live discussions a couple months back(don't see the all pictures I remember now) that the third team (A/J?) was over an hour after the first 2 at the tower(Memory may be faulty, but I thought at the time concensus was R/D were the 3rd team).  Maybe 6/7 are Detour options(admittedly unlikely since they shy away from final leg detours)?  The person in the water looked like a random person, not a teammate, maybe each person has to perform the detour, like the taxi driving course earlier in the race?

Possible turnaround reasons:  The papa holua run.  You see Art falling off and then pounding the ground, maybe they were supposed to make a full run top to bottom, and one team simply got back on after falling and continued?

Offline dpe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »

What we DON'T KNOW:

Nor any idea of the usual entire race memory task

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »

What we DON'T KNOW:

Is 1 absolutely known?  I can see the 15 minute delay due to, say, customs/taxis between R/D and R/B arriving at the towers, but I thought I read in the live discussions a couple months back(don't see the all pictures I remember now) that the third team (A/J?) was over an hour after the first 2 at the tower(Memory may be faulty, but I thought at the time concensus was R/D were the 3rd team).  Maybe 6/7 are Detour options(admittedly unlikely since they shy away from final leg detours)?  The person in the water looked like a random person, not a teammate, maybe each person has to perform the detour, like the taxi driving course earlier in the race?

Possible turnaround reasons:  The papa holua run.  You see Art falling off and then pounding the ground, maybe they were supposed to make a full run top to bottom, and one team simply got back on after falling and continued?

I don't remember any evidence of Art and JJ's time. The pictures of them doing the tower task do not have any time info.

I also still do not think that the roadblock taskmaster will hand the team a clue if they did not perform the task correctly. This means that the team has completely missed the RB. It probably also means that the location of that RB is near the finish line.

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »

What we DON'T KNOW:

I don't remember any evidence of Art and JJ's time. The pictures of them doing the tower task do not have any time info.

I also still do not think that the roadblock taskmaster will hand the team a clue if they did not perform the task correctly. This means that the team has completely missed the RB. It probably also means that the location of that RB is near the finish line.
I don't remember a time in what I read, I remember mention of 2 teams virtually there at the same time, though there was mention that the 2nd team was on the roof for an hour, which appears to have later been refuted, and a mention of 1 team having been there much later(which I cannot now find).  Pictures I remember at the time... 1) Brenchel of course, easy to identify, 2) Art and JJ, only M/M team left, and speculation whether D/R or V/R were there, with general concensus being D/R cause of a red? shirt.  Since this appears to be the 1st task, and due to the timelines involved, IF the 3rd team was that far behind, you'd think they were on a separate flight.

I admit you are correct, they should not receive a clue without having completed it, so that points more to a missed RB.  Scenario: Teams receive a clue telling them "Travel by xxxx(taxi/car/bus/boat) to yyyy and search for your next clue".  Team A arrives and notices a marked path and finds the clue box which directs them to do the RB.  Team A then completes the roadblock and is given a clue telling them something like "Find the windmill to receive your next clue"(similar to detours when a U-Turn is just before the clue box).  Team B arrives and starts searching(missing seeing the marked path), but happen to see team A making a mad dash away from the windmill, so they run over there and find a cluebox, never realizing they got the wrong one.

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2012, 04:37:46 PM »
Ep 11 & 12

I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline ITIATT

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
Don't know if anyone has seen this. Probably already posted but I don't see it in this thread. Phil's interview about the final leg with tv guide.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Finale-Phil-Keoghan-1046967.aspx

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
Thanks and :bigwelcome to RFF!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »
Some highlights:

I've been watching since the first season and have always wondered if a team will ever mess up on the last leg and get turned back when they think they've won. And now it finally happens.
Phil Keoghan: [Laughs] I guess you kind of hope sometimes things like that will happen — not that I'm wishing for anything bad to happen to people. But of course it makes it interesting every time something new happens. ... It's weird because we've had it happen so many times on other legs, where a team has come in and not completed the course properly, and it's just never happened at the finish line ... It was a real surprise to all of us. It's not something we've sat around and talked about like, "Oh, can you imagine if we're on the final leg and a team comes in and doesn't complete the course?" We were all just like, "Did that just happen?"

Normally when a team runs in to the mat, it's done and dusted. If they see somebody on the mat, they know they're not first. If they see a clear mat, they think, "We just won The Amazing Race!" And certainly, this team came to the mat thinking they had just won The Amazing Race. Everything for them, running in — even the teams standing there didn't know — everybody's cheering, they've already cashed the check [in their minds], they jump and they're like, "What? We have to do what?" You see the shocked reactions from the other teams. That's absolutely genuine. They didn't foresee it either.

You hinted on Twitter that they didn't read the clue correctly. But I think a lot of people are wondering how they could get the next clue if they didn't complete the Roadblock. Or did they just stumble onto the next task without doing it?
Keoghan: We don't want to give it away because it's more complicated than [not reading the clue] — it's a lot of things. For this one team, they get told some news that they were not expecting to hear. Ultimately, everybody should read their clues. I think that and have your passport would be right up there. Know how to swim and drive stick. Those would be in the top five for sure.

After the fact, could you understand how they messed up? Do you think it had to do with fatigue? There are a lot of physical challenges on the leg.
Keoghan: There are some mental challenges, but I think this is the big challenge with The Amazing Race. You're going back and forth all the time between physical and mental challenges. You have to switch parts of your brain, if you like. That is, I think, tough for teams. When it's physical, they're moving and they feel like they're getting ahead. They feel like they're making progress and sometimes it's just better to stop physical motion altogether and just think. Just because you're going somewhere doesn't mean you're actually getting ahead. This team gets to the mat first, but they didn't do everything correctly.

Is there a memory challenge on the final leg?
Keoghan: Not a memory one, but there's a mental challenge. It's different this year. We're always trying to mix it up. But I think one of the best tasks is in the Japan leg with the Japanese game show they have to do [in which teams must grab dangling chickens while running on a conveyor belt].

Offline ITIATT

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »
Thanks and :bigwelcome to RFF!

Thanks! I have been around for awhile but never posted. Don't know why probably because i forgot my password but just remembered it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
A few more:

Is the host the same one from the wasabi Roadblock in Season 15?
Keoghan: [Laughs] But now it's a different show! It's such a fun game. It's so ridiculously crazy and funny. When I shot my stand-up there, we had an outtake where I was explaining how the challenge worked and this person fell over and did the complete opposite of what the teams had to do. We just stood there with a dead chicken looking at this person and laughed. There's lots of that humor with the teams. I gave it a little shot too. I couldn't help myself. I did not [fall over], but I stumbled for sure.

Let's talk about the final four. I don't think there's been this much hostility between teams before and a lot of fans find them annoying and catty. Obviously a lot of people already hate Brendon and Rachel from Big Brother. But Art and JJ won't let the non-U-Turn go. People don't like how hard Dave is on Rachel and Vanessa keeps stirring things up.
Keoghan: Yeah, that's all very true, but you just never know what you're gonna get in any season. There's no denying that Big Brother certainly stirred things up and there is more bickering. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I think you need the difference. Like Bopper and Mark — I don't think we've had a more popular team since the cowboys [Jet and Cord]. I would say Bopper and Mark, the cowboys, the Globetrotters [Flight Time and Big Easy], and Zev and Justin are the top four picks for sure. ... Out of them, I would venture to say that Bopper and Mark is the most popular team we've ever had. But sometimes a team like that doesn't end up as captivating if there isn't also some adversity. If everybody was like Bopper and Mark, the show would appear a bit flat. So I feel like this season we ended up with a spectacular cast. The fact is there are people who stir other people up in life. Not everybody is perfect and some people do get catty with each other.

Amazing Race's Nary and Jamie: Art and JJ are jerks

You don't mind that a lot of fans feel like they don't have a team to root for?
Keoghan: No. I think all the teams left deserve to be there regardless of how people feel about them. I'll tell you — my MVP this season has been Rachel of Dave and Rachel. I think she has been just an extraordinary racer. He's way too hard on her sometimes. I told him he needs to give her props. ... In terms of being even-keeled, keeping her wits about her, keeping her energy up, tackling any challenge, she is in my mind the top player. I've got to give props to all the teams there, including Brendon and Rachel. A lot of people want to shoot them down and want to discredit them. They say they're crying all the time, but the fact is, they've made this Race really interesting. Whatever people want to say about Brendon and Rachel in terms of their personalities, they've run this Race fairly, followed the rules and now they're in the final episode. You have to give them props. They've beaten a lot of strong teams and they're very consistent.

Were you surprised Vanessa accused them of cheating at the last Pit Stop? If they had cheated, you would've penalized them already.
Keoghan: I wasn't surprised. I encourage them to vent. Part of what I'm there to do is to facilitate a discussion, and I could tell that she had something on her chest, so I told her to vent. You've got to understand that if you're racing and you think that somebody hasn't done something properly and you don't have all the facts, it's gonna eat at you and you're gonna vent it eventually. In the end, they called a truce. On average, I would talk to each team for 10 minutes. On that day, it was 30 with the two of them. What was interesting to me, if you watch the extended Mat Chat online, was how the men dealt with it.

They were almost embarrassed by it.
Keoghan: Right. Poor Brendon and Ralph. They were like, "C'mon! Let's move on." But that's the difference between the way guys deal with conflict and the way women deal with conflict. Guys get it out and move on. I'm generalizing, but a lot of times, guys will scream at each other, but once it's out, it's gone. They don't go back on it. With women, they tend to hold on to things longer. They want to fully explore feelings, what it really means, what they think it means. There's a lot more discussion.

Well, JJ is still hung up on Dave and Rachel not U-Turning Brendon and Rachel.
Keoghan: Yeah! I think he's tapping into more female tendencies. A lot of times Art has been like, "Let it go." You've noticed Art is the more chill of the two. JJ has definitely gotten more highly strung. Art and JJ have gone through quite a character arc, or at least JJ has. He started out kind of relaxed, they gave Bopper and Mark the money, which was incredibly generous, and now he's a lot more riled up and intense. Every team that is there has shown both sides of the spectrum of emotions. We've got a lot of Type As — a lot of emotion, a lot of angst. You've gotta remember that everything that happens is heightened because of sleep deprivation, pressure and what they've gone through. Quite frankly, we need people that are really, really hungry to win. That energy comes out on the show and the audience picks up on it. Even if they dislike it or they dislike that person for whatever reason, we want passion. We want fight. We want people to really want to be there and to win, and all of these teams do.

How do you think fans will feel about the winners?
Keoghan: Well, they've all divided the fans so much. I think they'll all have fans who will be very happy and some who will not be happy at all. There's not one team that has solidified universal appeal. People who love Brendon and Rachel love Brendon and Rachel like I have never ever seen anyone love a team in my life. And those people who despise them despise them more than any team we've had. Same thing with Vanessa and Ralph, and all of them. But even if you don't like them, you have to respect all of them for their effort and what they've done.

Do you have any updates on Season 21?
Keoghan: We start filming in the summer. We're working rapidly to get everything in line. We're excited to be going out again. Some stuff is locked and some stuff is up in the air. Up until the day we leave, we're still finessing. ... There'll be some new places and we're finalizing the cast. We hit a homerun with the cast this season. I think as the show has gone on, we've gotten better teams because more and more people who are fans want to be on the show.

Will there be another Big Brother team?
Keoghan: [Laughs] I don't think you can do that every season, so we'll have some different types of people. Familiar faces? I dunno.