Author Topic: TAR 20 Ep 5 "Uglier Than A Mud Rail Fence" (Bavaria, Germany)  (Read 18493 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR 20 Ep 5 "Uglier Than A Mud Rail Fence" (Bavaria, Germany)
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
Can someone clarify something for me.  Were these trains the same type of passenger train/car piggyback carriage system that exists (or did) between Florida and Virginia?  I get the impression that it is, but nothing explicit. (If I missed it, I plead heat stress -- we've had an unprecedented heat wave here with six consecutive record high days in the 80s and most of those with record highest lows to boot, and they've never had this many days of 80s here this early in the year, or for this long. And it's been true all over the state and in nearby states.)

If it is, then I would suggest that those of ue who were arguing for self-drive to Germany were essentially right, since they were driving the same cars. If it wasn't, then yet, car-train-car was something no one could  have guessed.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
the schnauzers,

What I remember from my most recent crossing of the Brenner Pass on a train (decades ago) was that there were trucks on low flat-bed railcar chassis. I don't remember seeing any cars handled that way, but I can't say whether that is the case today. I can say that the official Austria transportation policy for the use of the Brenner Pass by cars, trucks and rail, talks solely about "100,000 trucks" per year going on the flatbed railcars and about 12 times as much going over the pass. There is no mention of cars on railcars.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
CAPS from the Episode:

"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Custom Search