Author Topic: TAR 20 Ep 6: "This Is Wicked Strange" (Baku, Azerbaijan)  (Read 85329 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 20 Ep 6: "This Is Wicked Strange" (Baku, Azerbaijan)
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »
 :eww  Just found THIS little tidbit:

Afelia, nurse at the Naftalan Sanatorium. Once a patient has bathed in crude oil for ten minutes, Afelia scrapes the oil off their body. It is then reused for the next patient.

http://felixfeatures.photoshelter.com/image/I00003gD6paPWF20
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »
speaking about all specs in regards of FF and Intersection,

after 20 seasons,.. Does a new twist ever comes in mind?!   :lol:

or is there any local slanks on the way they call hay stack in azerbaijan?
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »
I agree! No intersection!

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »
There was a season where one team had won a Fast Forward with another team during an Intersection period, and then won an individual Fast Forward on a subsequent leg. (Oswald and Danny, season 11, legs 8 (Poland, during an intersection) and leg 10 (Hong Kong.)

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned (or I didn't see it in this leg.)

In any event, the show has never had an intersection with an odd number of teams; it would put a solo team at an advantage or disadvantage, depending on the circumstances.

I'd be surprised if there's a second FF this soon if there is to be a second one this season.

As to the helicopter, er may not know why the helicopter shot is in the promos, but it did occur to me that teams might have had to ride in a helicopter before or after the helicopter task. Haven't they done something like that before? I can visualize it (Argentina or Brazil or Guam or Hawaii in an early season, perhaps?) but I don't have time right now to wade through to look. But I do remember something like that.

I think we probably have at least one active route marker task in here somewhere; and the possibility is that the waiting team member at a roadblock gets a helicopter ride. They've done that sort of thing already. And from the preview for the season, there's a hint of a helicopter ride on the last leg of the Race, IIRC, so I think the use of helicopters is quite deliberate, Peach. Just to throw that additional thought in.

I remember two:  they used helicopters to travel to three different buildings in the first leg of TAR9 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to retrieve their next clue; and in TAR16, during the Seychelles leg, was the transportation to the location of both Detours.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »

Afelia, nurse at the Naftalan Sanatorium. Once a patient has bathed in crude oil for ten minutes, Afelia scrapes the oil off their body. It is then reused for the next patient.

That doesn't seem very sanitary - um to me. Especially the scraped bits.

Oh well, with the carcinogens in the crude oil, the recycled remnants from earlier patients is the least of their worries.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
speaking about all specs in regards of FF and Intersection,
after 20 seasons,.. Does a new twist ever comes in mind?!   :lol:

Typically, a new twist will be revealed in the press release in the beginning of the season, so I do not think there is a new twist.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
There was a season where one team had won a Fast Forward with another team during an Intersection period, and then won an individual Fast Forward on a subsequent leg. (Oswald and Danny, season 11, legs 8 (Poland, during an intersection) and leg 10 (Hong Kong.)

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned (or I didn't see it in this leg.)

In any event, the show has never had an intersection with an odd number of teams; it would put a solo team at an advantage or disadvantage, depending on the circumstances.

I'd be surprised if there's a second FF this soon if there is to be a second one this season.

As to the helicopter, er may not know why the helicopter shot is in the promos, but it did occur to me that teams might have had to ride in a helicopter before or after the helicopter task. Haven't they done something like that before? I can visualize it (Argentina or Brazil or Guam or Hawaii in an early season, perhaps?) but I don't have time right now to wade through to look. But I do remember something like that.

I think we probably have at least one active route marker task in here somewhere; and the possibility is that the waiting team member at a roadblock gets a helicopter ride. They've done that sort of thing already. And from the preview for the season, there's a hint of a helicopter ride on the last leg of the Race, IIRC, so I think the use of helicopters is quite deliberate, Peach. Just to throw that additional thought in.

I remember two:  they used helicopters to travel to three different buildings in the first leg of TAR9 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to retrieve their next clue; and in TAR16, during the Seychelles leg, was the transportation to the location of both Detours.

In Guam, teams ride helicopter as part of the Roadblock in TAR11, leg 12, which was - casually - a rescue operation.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
I know this is a bit late but...

bathing in crude oil  :crazy:
Bring on the 21!

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
CBS has sometimes played loose and fancy free with their wording in the past.  Is it possible that the hay has something to do with the apple detour.  Since horses typically eat both apples & hay.  And searching for one apple in a car full of apples could be compared to searching for a needle in a haystack?  And the apples do seem to be stacked up.  Or maybe there is more to the detour than just finding the apple....Just a thought.  :duno:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »

Here is some interesting information. The statement that the crude oil is reused struck me as odd, since this heavy crude is assumed to have no value as a hydrocarbon. The rationale must be that the cost of disposing of 45 gallons of crude oil for each patient is significant and outweighs any health risks. Here is an article on the subject:

Azerbaijan Clinic Uses Crude Oil Baths as Therapeutic Treatments
By Spooky on May 5th, 2011

A clinic in the town of Naftalan, 160 miles noth-west of Azerbaijan’s capital of Baku, has found a therapeutic use for its abundant quantities of crude oil.

Azerbaijan is one of the world’s leading oil exporters, and in the country’s western plains “black gold” has been seeping out of the ground for centuries. In fact, they have so much of the stuff, that in the town of Naftalan, they use the excess crude oil as a cure for various illnesses. It all goes down at the famous Naftalan Clinic, where people from all over the former Soviet Union and even from the Emirates and Europe come to treat various skin diseases, rheumatism, arthritis and even their nerves with crude oil. Doctors here say their miraculous oil therapy is used to trat up to 100 different conditions.

The most popular treatment at Naftalan is the crude oil bath. Patients lower their bodies into 35 gallons of crude oil, at a temperature of 40 degrees. Many of them say the warm oil relaxes their joints and they’d love to spend more than 10 minutes soaked in black oil, but since it contains almost 50% naphthalene, a hydrocarbon deemed potentially carcinogenic by EU regulations, longer sessions could be hazardous to their health. The clinic’s doctors claim millions of people have been treated at Naftalan over the years, and none of them have suffered any complications, as a result. Still, to be on the safe side they limit the sessions to 10 minutes, and no more than a bath per day, during a 10-day treatment.

Naftalan oil bath Azerbaijan Clinic Uses Crude Oil Baths as Therapeutic TreatmentsPhoto via az-naftalan

According to dr. Alif Zulfugar, manager of the Naftalan Clinic, the oil used for therapeutic baths, known as Naftalan, is to heavy for industrial use, so it is only used for clinical purposes. It doesn’t get treated in any way, just loaded up in tankers and delivered to the clinic. Most of it is heated and poured into the basin for baths, but there are other treatments available, as well. The resin from the crude oil is extracted and painted on the patient’s limbs, helping the nervous and blood system and easing joint pain.

Even though the staff at Naftalan Clinic make sure patients are thoroughly cleaned after their baths, they all take a few drops of oil with them wherever they go, as their saturated skin oozes crude oil for a period of two-three days.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »

:eww :eww :eww :eww
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »

:eww :eww :eww :eww

This is Wicked Strange.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
This oil is seriously traumatising! :eww :eww :eww :eww :eww
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline TARismyfavoriteshow

• RFF Jr. Member
  • You can call me Sam
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »
What do you think is first- the detour or the roadblock?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
I would love to know the anser to that, but we just don't know.

If I HAD to guess I would prob say RB last, but then I would have a 50% chance of being wrong. :lol3:

I have been debating that the last hour, and changing my mind every 5 minutes!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »
Random spec: at one point during the episode they might mention Azerbaijan as having won Eurovision last year, or one of the winning singers will be the Pit Stop greeter.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
Random spec: at one point during the episode they might mention Azerbaijan as having won Eurovision last year, or one of the winning singers will be the Pit Stop greeter.

I had the same thought! :lol:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »

I had the same thought! :lol:

Another random spec: that the country is now hosting the 2012 Eurovision, and there will be a footage of the venue?!?
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
The FF card: "saman ot" means, you guessed it: hay.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2012, 09:32:30 PM »
I found this pic on flickr of some very uniquely staked hay on the back of a truck in Azerbaijan. I don't know how to post's pic's , so if someone could check it out and see if it's worth bringing over , i'd appreesh. It look's like something that could be a task to me anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferryvermeer/6004181306/

Good job!! Spot on!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline cattychic

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »
I found this pic on flickr of some very uniquely staked hay on the back of a truck in Azerbaijan. I don't know how to post's pic's , so if someone could check it out and see if it's worth bringing over , i'd appreesh. It look's like something that could be a task to me anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferryvermeer/6004181306/

Good job!! Spot on!!

Thank you , i'm a newbie at this detective stuff so it feel's good to get one right  :conf: :conf: , but I have a loooooooong way to go to get to the level that some of the detectives on this board are at lol.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2012, 10:28:14 PM »
We are always glad of the help! This is truly a team effort!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
The teams passed by the Old Town Haji Bani bath complex (on their left) on the way up the ramp to the "amazing" carpet shop. (source pano)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »
The Yashil Bazar fruit market mentioned on the Detour card is here; still haven't found the hay market yet.

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »
Another great leg in this season, the oil detour was so funny. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
I`am also happy that the went to the temple, when it was still dark. :yess: :yess: :yess: :yess:
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.