Author Topic: Amazing Race coincidences/irony/karma/poetic justice  (Read 55448 times)

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
Amazing Race coincidences/irony/karma/poetic justice
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »
The word karma should really be banned from the amazing race >< lol i dont even believe in karma, but I believe it might help you all understand what I am about to attempt to explain:
What are the best, or your personal favourite, examples of coincidences, irony, karma *shudder* or poetic justice from the amazing race? Which teams got what was coming to them in creative or imaginative ways? Which little details link up with each other and make you smile?

examples!

TAR15: The globetrotters... let's say convince to remain impartial, convince Mika to quit the waterslide so that they could stay in the race. They are later eliminated when they themselves are forced to quit in Prague. FRANZ!
TAR18: Kent and Vyxsin have fallen so far behind in China, their only chance to stay in the race (or so they thought) was to catch up to and pass Zev and Justin, however they lose their money/passport bag, the same thing (similar at least) that happened to Zev and Justin in TAR15.
TAR11: Joe and Bill fall days behind the other teams, the same thing that happened to them in their original season.
TARAUS: Tyler and Nathan Uturn Richard and Joey to delay them in South Africa, Tyler and Nathan are delayed in Israel on the how alike do you and your teammate think challenge, the answer they needed: Richard and Joey
TAR18: The first three people to finish the tea tasting roadblock had all drank or smelt tea on their original seasons, Ron in Taiwan (random task), Jet in Malaysia (speed bump), Kisha in China (before foot massage). However Luke also had the foot massage tea and he finished last...
TAR11: Kevin/Drew has knee problems, the one who went up the Eiffel Tower in Paris in TAR1 complained about their knees/legs (I haven't researched this as thoroughly)
TAR11: Charla and Mirna win their first leg ever in the country that eliminated them on their original season: Tanzania.
TAR17: Chad proposes to Stephanie in Oman, they then go on to win a leg that features rings and a wedding detour option (even though they didn't take it)
TAR16: While she didn't get to go to Iraq or South Africa, Caite races through and even wins a leg in "the Asian countries"

Now it's your turn! add your own. I'll happily clarify any of the above if anyone is confused.
Try to avoid obvious examples like the first team that is eliminated having previously expressed their intention of winning it all or a team planning on winning every leg winning none, etc.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race coincidences/irony/karma/poetic justice
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
Biggest karma fail I can remember on the show was Ari in TAR 12, Leg 1 in Ireland:

Team introductions - Ari says, "Karma's a bitch, but I'm a bigger bitch."
Somewhere in Ireland - Ari & Staella steal another team's cab.
After the Roadblock - Ari's donkey completely shuts down and refuses to move.
Ari & Staella come in last and are eliminated. Ari says during exit interview - "So, karma kicked my ass."
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline balfour

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
Biggest karma fail I can remember on the show was Ari in TAR 12, Leg 1 in Ireland:

Team introductions - Ari says, "Karma's a bitch, but I'm a bigger bitch."
Somewhere in Ireland - Ari & Staella steal another team's cab.
After the Roadblock - Ari's donkey completely shuts down and refuses to move.
Ari & Staella come in last and are eliminated. Ari says during exit interview - "So, karma kicked my ass."

Mug beat me to it. I just watched it yesterday.... and I was laughing because they annoyed me so much. Particularly Ari.

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:18:02 AM »
While that is a nice example, it is one of the show's token examples of arrogant individual/team gets screwed by the race; it's too obvious!
What I'm looking for here are the more subtle examples that aren't spoon fed to you by the producers/editors, the ones that you have to go looking for or that make you think outside the box.

Another example is that in both of their races Dustin and Kandace bickered with another all female team, both who made it to the end with them and both came in third: Lyn and Karlyn; and Charla and Mirna.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:55:32 AM »
 :bigwelcome ryanmissing27

Also in TAR 18, the Globetrotters were beaten by a girl, delayed karma for taunting Mika up that water slide.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:20:16 AM »
 :bigwelcome ryanmissing27
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »
Jaime & Cara are eliminated in China :lol: :(

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
Jaime & Cara are eliminated in China :lol: :(

And their taxi driver stopped to get gas
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
The 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th and 4th placed teams in TAR18 were all eliminated because one of the teammates choked at the roadblock.
The two times Margie & Luke didn't win/were eliminated, it was because of Luke who choked at the Roadblock.

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »
the 5th place result was also determined by events at the roadblock. Thanks this is the kind of stuff Im looking for!

my next contribution: in unfinished business the globetrotters give jaime and cara hell for using the u turn on them in china yet they later u turn jet and cord almost unnecessarily in switzerland, i hope it was a long fall from their high horse.

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »
season 12, leg 3 Burkina Faso 1
5 teams are on the mat at the same time, these teams go on to be the final 5!

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 12:02:03 AM »
Season 18 : The leg in Kolkata.

Jet and Cord,Ron and Cristina,Zev and Justin and Kent and Vyxsin at the same time in the mat.

After that leg,they all were eliminated in sequence (not the same sequence)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:08:49 AM »
Gary and Mallory's leg 8 karma.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »
And every team that Blake and Paige tied with was eliminated the very next leg...

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 01:14:53 AM »
And every team that Blake and Paige tied with was eliminated the very next leg...

Plus they shared a tent with Peggy/Claire before the start of leg 3.  :ascared

In TAR 3, Flo/Zach, despite being members of the "Twin Hunt", struck up an alliance with them (D/D) once the other members had been eliminated in hilarious ways...only to (un)intentionally get the twins eliminated.   :lol:

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »
In TAR 3, Flo/Zach, despite being members of the "Twin Hunt", struck up an alliance with them (D/D) once the other members had been eliminated in hilarious ways...only to (un)intentionally get the twins eliminated.   :lol:

love it.
as recently as TAR19, the finishing order for the Tintin task in Belgium was also the check in order at the end of that leg in Panama! some nice foreshadowing there

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 02:26:59 AM »
Laurence and Zac were eliminated beside a ship!

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 05:17:16 AM »
Laurence and Zac were eliminated beside a ship!

THIS! is really ironic... and their skills were proven too in Thailand, can't navigate the right way to the right islands...
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 07:14:34 AM »
Coincidence:

In TAR Allstars there were only 4 seasons with 2 teams represented:
TAR 1, TAR 3, TAR 7 and TAR 10.

Right on the first four legs, John Vito and Jill, Kevin and Drew, David and Mary and Rob and Amber were eliminated. (Leaving only one team represented from each season)

The other 4 teams still remaining in Allstars also beat these four teams in their previous season.

Joe and Bill beat Kevin and Drew (3rd place VS 4th place in TAR)
Teri and Ian beat John Vito and Jill (2nd place VS 5th place in TAR 3)
Uchenna and Joyce beat Rob and Amber (1st place VS 2nd place in TAR 7)
Dustin and Kandace beat David and Mary (4th place VS 6th place in TAR 10)

This trend of "4 teams eliminated" seemed to also occur in TAR 18, where FIVE teams were represented from TAR 14. However, right on the first 4 legs, 4 of the TAR 14 teams were eliminated and leaving only one team from TAR 14 represented... though Kisha and Jen went on to win the race.

Just a small coincidence which are not related in anyway.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »
TAR-All Stars
Danny and Oswald were the last team eliminated before the final 3, in which it was the same on their previous season TAR2.  Also which makes it more ironic it was on a island country in Oceania (New Zealand-TAR2 and Guam-TAR11). 

TAR1 and TAR10
Not regarding teams but places that were visited-
Both seasons visited New York City
Both seasons visited Beijing, China and the Great Wall
Both seasons visited India
Both seasons visited Paris, France

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 06:39:01 PM »
What about joey and richard from TARAU1 having a bad leg in south afirca (car stuck in mud, bad goat at a whitchdoctor task and the u turn) after they had they head shaved for the fast forward druing the last leg (hong kong/macau) and also for an over compenative team they offen finshed in the back end of the pack.

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
What about joey and richard from TARAU1 having a bad leg in south afirca (car stuck in mud, bad goat at a whitchdoctor task and the u turn) after they had they head shaved for the fast forward druing the last leg (hong kong/macau) and also for an over compenative team they offen finshed in the back end of the pack.

yeah, I think that's what we call  "karma" ... ???
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
It's more of stupidity, they dive their car straight into the mud and got it stuck. :lol:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
It's more of stupidity, they dive their car straight into the mud and got it stuck. :lol:

I think it's a mixture of karma and arrogance, and stupidity. Explain to me how they nearly caught up to Dumb and Dumber sorry Mo & Mos, and yet Mo & Mos beat them because of the goats...

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:10 AM »
It's more of stupidity, they drive their car straight into the mud and got it stuck
I think it was more bad luck at being the first team in line (like i think luke and jeff said) rather than stupidity, it could have happened to anyone unless they got out and inspected the track or something.

once again, try to avoid textbook examples that the show serves to you on a silver platter; think outside the box!

this comes directly from wikipedia but i still find it pretty interesting
for tar12: tk, rachel, nathan and staella all went to the same high school, given their close ages they could have even been in the same year and maybe even shared classes hahaha

from tar19: i remember from the second malawi leg just after the snowboarders outran ernie and cindy to the pit stop, they said something to the effect of, "we're willing to do anything it takes to win the race" or "we want to win the race most out of anyone here". they obviously weren't or didn't since on that same leg they passed on a u turn that laurence and zac used. had they been most willing or most wanting they would have uturned any of the 5 teams behind them at that point, all of which had the potential to go far (imo)

the globetrotters were eliminated in tar15 because they stumbled (understatement) at the penultimate leg's roadblock effectively not making the final 3. in unfinished business (tar18) they made the final 3 by beating out one team, zev and justin, because zev stumbled (literally) at the penultimate leg's roadblock. this is one of those examples of cruel irony though...