Author Topic: TAR 20: Art Velez and J.J. Carrell *Border Patrol Agents*  (Read 91086 times)

Offline RoscoePWaggles

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: TAR 20: Art Velez and J.J. Carrell *Border Patrol Agents*
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 10:51:05 PM »
Im new to RFF and I had to weigh in on some of these posts.........I think it's all in the editing here!  Interesting article posted by Peach. Not thinking "cocky, rude and full of themselves" team would be even doing fundraising efforts.  I like them and see great potential here.   
"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
Im new to RFF and I had to weigh in on some of these posts.........I think it's all in the editing here!  Interesting article posted by Peach. Not thinking "cocky, rude and full of themselves" team would be even doing fundraising efforts.  I like them and see great potential here.   

I totally agree! :tup:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 07:45:18 AM »
I'd have to also agree that the editing also plays a very large role in shaping our opinions of this team (and every other team that has appeared on TAR). :tup:

However, having said that, it's also important to point out that they can only edit the material that you give them. Evidently, the scenes depicting Art & JJ's attitude actually had to have occurred in order for us to see those scenes on the show. ;)

Oh, and welcome to RFF, RoscoePWaggles! :bigwelcome :wel2 :welcome2: :hello2: :hithere:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 07:53:33 AM »
However, having said that, it's also important to point out that they can only edit the material that you give them. Evidently, the scenes depicting Art & JJ's attitude actually had to have occurred in order for us to see those scenes on the show. ;)

I have often said that too. I'm not only on one side of the editing argument but these guys aren't evil. They just run their mouths too much :lol:

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »

I have often said that too. I'm not only on one side of the editing argument but these guys aren't evil. They just run their mouths too much :lol:

Yeah, I have to agree. They do run their mouths too much! :lol: And I don't think they're evil, but some of the comments about Brenchel are pretty close to evil. :lol:

Offline RoscoePWaggles

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »
I completely agree with all of that, however when they have thousands of hours of tape, they can essentially create any character they want. That is what CBS has done, I'm sure for every single contestant, not just these two. It will be interesting to see if they continue to portray this team and others differently if they remain on the race.
"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »
:welcome: to RFF, RoscoePWaggles!! Great name! :lol:

I agree. I think these are just two hard playing super competitive guys which is a good thing race wise.  And TAR goes to no end to get the soundbites from the racers it needs...editing can make or break anyone!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RoscoePWaggles

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »
Thanks Peach!  It's GOOD to be here!   :hrt:

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
 :bigwelcome to RFF RoscoePWaggles!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
They're most certainly not evil. Just least charismatic.
If there's an evil team, I would be the first to love them!  :hearts:
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2012, 04:58:51 AM »
I like these guys because they are a really rare team: they don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. They have gotten 3rd. 2nd, and 1st. And how are they bickering??? Me and my friends are just like them.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »
Totally classy move by Art & JJ during Leg 4 that completely changed my opinion of them for the better. I won't say what it is, in case someone hasn't seen the episode yet, but I definitely have a better view of them after that now. :tup:
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
I think I like them. Really. More and more time and time again.

I prefer the cousins, Kentucky, BB and the Teachers (:lol:), but I like these two too!

Hope the white Rachel and Dave are gone soon. Pleasepleasepleaseplease.

addie

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12:57 AM »
After the last minutes of the episode I like them a bit more, but they were still talking about themselve the whole time. Didn't thought that they would do something like that :hrt:

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
IMHO, it seemed like the editors were just trying to make them seem more likable. If it had been another team I doubt they'd show it...

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
IMHO, it seemed like the editors were just trying to make them seem more likable. If it had been another team I doubt they'd show it...

I'm sure they'll show it. Regardless of any team, whoever shares/gives away their prize (money or travel) to another team is a TV material.
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline RoscoePWaggles

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »

Show it just to make them more likable?  I think this makes them more likable.  It shows they have a heart and really aren't as terrible as some believe. It was a move unprecedented in the history of the show from what I understand, so it appears to me that it would have been aired regardless of who it was.  :gaah:

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 07:57:08 PM »
They did this, and it was a heart act. What other reason? We know that they don't care about been "nice guys"
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
Art and JJ did outstanding in the Paraguay and Turin legs and placed 3rd in each of the Argentina legs. However, they had the advantage that both of them speak Spanish (as does Vanessa). When the language playing field is level in Azerbaijan, Kenya, India and Japan I predict they will do less well.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
I don't think that their language skills helped them stack watermelons or fly a toy helicopter

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
Art and JJ did outstanding in the Paraguay and Turin legs and placed 3rd in each of the Argentina legs. However, they had the advantage that both of them speak Spanish (as does Vanessa). When the language playing field is level in Azerbaijan, Kenya, India and Japan I predict they will do less well.

I thought it was going to be in Tanzania. I'm pretty sure it is.
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »
In one of the CBS Extra Videos, Art and JJ stated that they had joined the elite group of 20 Amazing Race teams who had completed a FAST FORWARD. Either their counting or their research skills are a bit off. I have done the math here and this is my calculation of the number of prior teams completing FAST FORWARDs:

AR1 5
AR2 6
AR3 6
AR4 7
AR5 1 (a second one by Brandon/Nicole not completed)
AR6 2
AR7 2
AR8 1
AR9 2
AR10 3
AR11 both of these were repeats of teams in AR2 or AR7
AR12 1
AR13 1
AR14 0 because nobody wanted the unaired/unused one in Phuket
AR15 1
AR16 1
AR17 1
AR18 0
AR19 0

TOTAL 40

So Art and JJ are batting 50% on counting.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »
Even if you include the first four seasons, that's roughly 45 teams out of over 210. That's a little over 20%. If you were to just count the seasons post 4, it'd be 21/166. Roughly 12%. I'd consider both counts as elite. So congratulations Art & JJ.

Edit: Nevermind, I just now watched the clip of them saying that. You're right, apskip, but I think it was just a spur of the moment statement from them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:46:57 PM by Best Loser »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »
No matter what people think of them, they obviously have the skill sets needed to excel on TAR. They are strong at all different kinds of tasks, make good decisions on their feet, never get lost, and avoid the dumb mistakes all the other teams get bogged down in.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:25 AM »
No matter what people think of them, they obviously have the skill sets needed to excel on TAR. They are strong at all different kinds of tasks, make good decisions on their feet, never get lost, and avoid the dumb mistakes all the other teams get bogged down in.

True.

They've always had the first flight/train/bus to every location, and that's helped them a lot. :tup: But I don't want to watch them dominate. :res: I want some other teams to experience a 1st place finish, soon! ;)