Author Topic: China Rush 1: Sarah and Molly  (Read 5426 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
China Rush 1: Sarah and Molly
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
Sarah and Molly have a new project!

In summer 2010, ultra distance runners Sarah Edson and Molly Fitzpatrick starred in the TV program Amazing Race: China Rush, where they competed with and befriended Maasai warriors Paul Lebeneyio and Francis Merinyi. From that friendship sparked an idea: to host the first-ever ultramarathon in Kenya, the land of distance running, with the intent of promoting girls' education. Thus was born the Amazing Maasai Ultra.
One year later, on June 23rd, 2011, 13 international distance runners from eight countries around the globe joined with more than 90 Kenyan runners to compete in the Amazing Maasai Ultra's inaugural half (21km), full (42km), and ultra (75km) marathons. Through race fee proceeds, sponsorships, and donations, the Amazing Maasai Girls Project raised more than US$25,000 to fund scholarships to send 15 local Maasai girls who lack the financial means to attend high school, thus averting a life of arranged marriage and limited economic opportunity.
Through race co-founders Sarah and Molly's personal vignettes and race photographer Paul Ark's dynamic marathon images and intimate portraits, the Amazing Maasai Ultra 2011 chronicles the race from inception to the finish line to the awards ceremony, and highlights the cause of girls' education in Kenya. The book is also a travelogue of Paul's safari though Lake Nakuru National Park and Maasai Mara National Reserve, showcasing all the splendor Kenya has to offer.
This book is being sold at cost plus a US$10.00 mark-up (including the ebook format). This mark-up is contributed directly to the Amazing Maasai Girls Project in your name and is fully tax deductable as a charitable contribution. In turn, all contributions are earmarked to fund scholarships for highly-qualified but financially-challenged girls to attend the St. Francis Girls' Secondary School in Kenya's Rift Valley. As part of the Blurb For Good program, publisher Blurb will contribute an additional $1 to the Amazing Maasai Girls Project for every book sold!
The stunning success and critical praise of 2011's race has paved the way for The Amazing Maasai Ultra 2012's half, full and ultramarathons, scheduled for July 21, 2012. For more information: www.amazingmaasaiultra.org

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2803463
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: China Rush 1: Sarah and Molly
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »
Great news! I loved these girls in China Rush and I'm glad to hear Paul and Francis are doing well!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
The book looks awesome!! Adding to my Christmas List!

You can see a preview here:

http://www.blurb.com/books/2803463
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
Good news!
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
really  :hrt: to see Sarah & Molly kept their friendship and maintained their good teamwork for good purposes.. I like the book so much,  :hearts:
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
They should organize a charity golf tournament....  :lol3:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:39:19 AM »
I love when people use "fame" in order to raise funds for charity. That's quite the best thing on Earth they could do.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:52:58 AM »
Great news from Sarah!!

EXCITING NEWS: The Amazing Maasai Ultra Marathon 2011 raised enough money to send TWENTY GIRLS to school for 4 YEARS. Now, following a detailed selection and interview process, lead by @Solomon Kimani, the girls are buying their new school uniforms this weekend and getting ready to start high school.

HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THIS ACHIEVEMENT!!

RFF's Golden Rule: