Author Topic: The Amazing Race: What If  (Read 605183 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: The Amazing Race: What If
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2011, 01:40:07 PM »
I wondered if Brad and Victoria manage to catch their plane and definitely eliminating Victor and Tammy who got lost for hours, would Kisha and Jen have made the final three and possibly win? :cmas5

What an epic train of thought...that would have altered UB! :o

Maybe Gallory could have won then :hearts:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
I wondered if Brad and Victoria manage to catch their plane and definitely eliminating Victor and Tammy who got lost for hours, would Kisha and Jen have made the final three and possibly win? :cmas5

No way. I would have U-Turned Kisha & Jen in Beijing then that would allowed Mike & Mel and Jaime & Cara going in Final Three! :-p

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
But Mike and Mel will still be lost in Phuket.. Luke. Brad and Victoria are a strong team. Don't really like them but... thank goodness Tammy and Victor survived.

TAR 14 Final 3 teams <3 :cmaslol

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2011, 12:09:47 AM »
Gary was the one doing the Roadblock, so I think they would have gotten in before at least two other teams. I can't  remember the finishing order for that leg, though.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2011, 08:14:43 PM »

No way. I would have U-Turned Kisha & Jen in Beijing then that would allowed Mike & Mel and Jaime & Cara going in Final Three! :-p

Hi Luke! :xmas49

Something I've always wondered about - if someone uses the Blind U-Turn (like Margie & Luke) are they still allowed to use another U-Turn in the future? :cmas5 Maybe someone else can clear this up for me! :cmas16
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
Luke said that he could have and would have used the second U-Turn in Beijing, racer, because he still had his team picture/sticker to put on the U-Turn board.

The other seasons might have changed the rules though, because Louie & Michael said something once about making the other teams think that they could still use the U-Turn in the post-Blind U-Turn legs, although it could be that they either lost their picture or they were not very smart when it came to gameplay.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2011, 11:23:30 PM »
Luke could still play their U-TURN cause they still had their courtesy of photo.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2011, 06:24:43 AM »
That's really interesting! I thought maybe that teams had to hand their 'Courtesy Of' Photo to Phil at the Pit Stop, or something along those lines (if they used a Blind U-Turn). I find that really intriguing that teams could potentially use multiple U-Turns! :cmas16

EDIT: Might as well add a new 'What If' Scenario: :cmas16

What if John Vito & Jill made it to the first Pit Stop in Ecuador (on TAR11) ahead of Kevin & Drew. Assumably, John Vito & Jill would've been able to survive the next leg (just my opinion) and they were a decent team on TAR3, so how much further do you think they could make it on TAR11 if they survived Leg 1?

(By the way, I find it really funny how they got eliminated twice due to navigational difficulties. :torche
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:33:11 AM by racer »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »
racer,

Elimination twice due to navigational difficulties is not funny at all. It's tragic. No team can do well in an Amazing Race if they are incompetent at navigation, which John Vito and Jill certainly proved to be.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
Luke said that he could have and would have used the second U-Turn in Beijing, racer, because he still had his team picture/sticker to put on the U-Turn board.

The other seasons might have changed the rules though, because Louie & Michael said something once about making the other teams think that they could still use the U-Turn in the post-Blind U-Turn legs, although it could be that they either lost their picture or they were not very smart when it came to gameplay.

The Blind U-Turn may be ressurrected at some point, but it has faded into irrelevance after AR14 because it has not been part of the design for any seasons. World Race Productions seems to have put the focus on Double U-Turns instead.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2011, 08:40:44 AM »

The Blind U-Turn may be ressurrected at some point, but it has faded into irrelevance after AR14 because it has not been part of the design for any seasons. World Race Productions seems to have put the focus on Double U-Turns instead.

There was actually a Blind Uturn in TAR 16 which Louie and Michael used on Joe and Heidi.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »
racer,

Elimination twice due to navigational difficulties is not funny at all. It's tragic. No team can do well in an Amazing Race if they are incompetent at navigation, which John Vito and Jill certainly proved to be.

I agree it was tragic, especially as they are one of my favourites of all time :cmas4 , but I find coincidences like that to be quite funny too. :)

I was never a big fan of the Blind U-Turn myself, but it was an interesting twist for sure! But I definitely prefer the Double U-Turn myself. :cmas16

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there also an unaired Blind U-Turn on TAR15 at some point? :cmas5

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2011, 12:46:33 PM »
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there also an unaired Blind U-Turn on TAR15 at some point? :cmas5
Yes, it looks like you are right:
In an unaired scene, Lance & Keri used a Blind U-Turn on Sam & Dan. However, Sam & Dan were already in front of them and the U-Turn had no effect.
I did not discover this until you raised the question, so now I know something I previously did not.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »
The last time a blind U-TURN appeared was in TAR 16. It survived for 3 seasons from TAR 14 - TAR 16 and all 3 times it was used.

After which I guess starting from TAR 17, the producers focused on the Double U-TURN, which I thought added more drama and intensity to the show and >>> Blind U-TURN.

What if Bill and Cathi did not get lost on the leg they got eliminated and Marcus and Amani were eliminated. Do you think they could have made the final three if their cabbie shared info just like Marcus and Amani's cabbie? :cmaslol And what are their chances of winning against Ernie and Cindy?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
I again stand corrected (not the first time that has ever happened to me on RFF but I don't have a negative attitude about that). AR16, ep. 5 had a Blind U-Turn by Louie and Michael.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2011, 12:51:34 AM »
What if the Double U-TURN had been implemented starting TAR 14? Would anyone else be U-TURNed besides Amanda and Kris? :cmaslol

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2011, 03:29:59 AM »
What if the Double U-TURN had been implemented starting TAR 14? Would anyone else be U-TURNed besides Amanda and Kris? :cmaslol

Mark & Michael!

What if Uchenna & Joyce didn't make that costly blunder to Malaysia? Would they have made the final 3?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »
Yes, it looks like you are right:
In an unaired scene, Lance & Keri used a Blind U-Turn on Sam & Dan. However, Sam & Dan were already in front of them and the U-Turn had no effect.
I did not discover this until you raised the question, so now I know something I previously did not.

Yeah, I remember heading something like that during TAR15, but I didn't remember exactly. Looks like we both learnt something really interesting today, apskip! :cmas16

What if Uchenna & Joyce didn't make that costly blunder to Malaysia? Would they have made the final 3?

The chances are good for them. Oswald & Danny would definitely finish last in Malaysia (just like that TAR15 Blind U-Turn, I remember reading that the Malaysia leg was originally planned as a NEL, but I may be severely mistaken). Oswald & Danny did great with the flights to Hong Kong and claimed the Fast Forward, so assuming they still manage to do so, this will remove their Marked For Elimination penalty. And also, Eric & Danielle would go home (and we would have the best Final Four of all time, in my opinion :cmas16 ).

Then in Macau is where this could become interesting. Assuming that Oswald & Danny still have their financial troubles, Dustin & Kandice can't tell them to Yield Eric & Danielle any more, as they are gone. Assumably, they will want to Yield Uchenna & Joyce, who are strong former-winners. However, due to Oswald & Danny's many struggles of that leg, they will finish last and be Marked again.

On to Guam, and that Guam leg - which was quite enjoyable - offered little chance for teams to make huge blunders, unless they really had problems operating the GPS locators. So I'd assume Uchenna & Joyce would survive and Oswald & Danny would go home.

And then the Final Three would be Uchenna & Joyce, Dustin & Kandice and Charla & Mirna. And with that exceptionally weird Final Task in San Francisco (one of my least favourite tasks of all time, personally) it would be quite difficult to predict a winner!

Of course, my scenario might be extremely different to what would actually happen, but these are my thoughts, and I have to thank redskevin88 for a GREAT question!!! :cmas16

A question of my own:

What if Jet & Cord were sent home in The Seychelles and the next leg (Malaysia) was converted to a NEL instead? Do you think that Steve & Allie could possibly go on to replace Jet & Cord in the Final Three, given the U-Turn in Singapore and Louie & Michael's struggles in China, and if not, who do you think will be in the Final Three instead? :cmas16

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
Yes racer, I believe if Jet and Cord were eliminated and that the next leg in Malaysia was a NEL.. Steve and Allie would have a huge chance to survive since Carol and Brandy were goners in Singapore. You can't go "wrong" in a leg like Singapore where the locations visited are so "touristy" and there is no way a team can get lost in Singapore. As for the tasks they had then, there were all no brainers, setting up an ice cream stall was a very viable option to just do and move on while the drums (the other side of the Detour) may or may not be easy to conquer but Carol and Brandy had to do a U-TURN anyway. The Roadblock was easy as hell... and there was definitely no way that Steve and Allie can't beat Carol and Brandy thanks to the really "unfair" U-TURN.

Then Louie and Michael are so going to be eliminated at the F4, leaving Steve and Allie to compete with the brothers at the final three. :cmaslol

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
I think that if Nancy & Emily had switched Detours instead of just giving up after losing the Fast-Forward to Bill & Joe, they would have still been in the Race as Team Guido got complacent and arrived after everyone else had arrived!  Then Nancy & Emily might have had a chance to beat Kevin & Drew and make it to the Final 3, but they would have needed to switch Detours early enough to have much of a chance to catch up to the first two teams.

What would have happened if Hope & Norm didn't get the Curse of the Bad Taxi Driver?  I always hated that.

Belle Book

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: December 24, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
Great question, Belle Book! :cmas16

I'm going to try to break this down leg by leg:

Leg 1: Nothing changes, Diedre & Hilary go home.

Leg 2: So now Blake & Paige would go home instead.

Legs 3 & 4: Peggy & Claire and Shola & Doyin will both unfortunately leave. :cmas4

Leg 5: I think Cyndi & Russell would still go home here.

Leg 6: NEL

Leg 7: Mary & Peach had too many problems in Hong Kong, so they go home here.

Leg 8: NEL, but it is probably Tara & Wil or Hope & Norm who are last. (This makes little difference, as there was no penalty those days.)

Leg 9: Gary & Dave probably still go here.

Leg 10: NEL

Leg 11: Here's the difficult part. Either Hope & Norm would be able to squeeze into the Top Three and replace Blake & Paige, or if they struggled there in New Zealand, then possibly Oswald & Danny might've made the Final Three instead. :cmas5

Leg 12 is a NEL and then Leg 13 would still feature Tara & Wil's and Chris & Alex's weird taxi fight. However, maybe Hope & Norm or Oswald & Danny would be able to stay close enough to them and win the race while those two played cat & mouse. :cmaslol

That was fun! :)

What if Heather & Eve did not take a taxi to the Portugal Pit Stop? Let us assume that Aaron & Arianne are eliminated here and let's assume that Heather & Eve did not make the Diesel error that the others made. How much further could they have gone in the race, in your opinion?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
nvm

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »
Heather and Eve just seemed smart enough for Final 4 - Final 6. :cmaslol

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2011, 10:38:26 PM »
Heather and Eve just seemed smart enough for Final 4 - Final 6. :cmaslol

I'd have to agree with you, Joab! :cmas16

But going with my aforementioned scenario, if Aaron & Arianne left on Leg 4, then there would be nobody to save Andre & Damon on Leg 6, and consequently, Ken & Gerard would go home in the Austria/Germany leg, because of their flat tire en route to the Pit Stop. So then either John Vito & Jill or Heather & Eve would finish 5th, Derek & Drew in 4th, and then either John Vito & Jill or Heather & Eve would replace Ken & Gerard in the Final Three. :cmas5

Just my thoughts, but I thought this was an interesting question, because of the domino effect if Aaron & Arianne leave early, Andre & Damon would leave one leg earlier, and then Ken & Gerard would leave early as well). :cmas9