Author Topic: TAR 19 EP 8 "Super Shady" (Copenhagen, Denmark)  (Read 82805 times)

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 19 EP 8 "Super Shady" (Copenhagen, Denmark)
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 06:45:10 AM »
or another double Roadblock? ???
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 07:10:31 AM »
What if its a fast-forward?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 07:19:14 AM »
NO FF.

Pretty sure Chateau already the location in the Location thread with pics! Will try to move his info over tonight...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 07:46:32 AM »
Chateau gave us Frilandsmuseet as the site of the bunny hopping, and it looks like that's where the W-Turn sign is too, under the windmill on the Northwestern corner of the compound. That's why it's more than likely the bunny task is one half of a Detour...

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »
Episode 9 title quote is "It's Speedo Time"

Offline Saravannan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
Episode 9 title quote is "It's Speedo Time"

Oh dear.  :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »
or another double Roadblock? ???

With a Double U-Turn? Not probable.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
I actually think that the dancing is the roadblock. It is the only task where we see one team member definitely not doing it. Amani and Marcus' actions leave more doubt.

I totally agree.

To keep on speculating, the Rabbit thing seems like a Detour to me.

I also think that Marcus has to do something else in the Rabbit Task.

There's also a chance the Rabbit thing could just be an active Route Info? :duno:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »
That's a good point. They might want everyone to do that task.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »
^ But don't forget that the rabbit task is at the same place as the u-turn (already identified by Chateau d'If). So it has to be a detour.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »
^ But don't forget that the rabbit task is at the same place as the u-turn (already identified by Chateau d'If). So it has to be a detour.

Or a general task that must be completed before getting to the U-Turn.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »
No, the U-Turn is always after a team completes the Detour, so teams don't know that they have to go back and do the other half of the Detour before proceeding. So, logically, the bunny task is part of the Detour.

(It's a good thing Edie and Lieben have passed on as they were enthusiatic bunny chansers, and I have no doubt they would have wanted to jump through time and space to chase those bunnies.) :)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
“THE RACE” TRAVELS TO COPENHAGEN FOR THE FIRST TIME WHERE RACERS ENCOUNTER BUNNIES, BUTTER, DANCING AND ANOTHER DOUBLE U-TURN, ON “THE AMAZING RACE” NOV. 13

CHEAT TWEET: Bunnies, butter, dancing & a double u-turn. This is what #AmazingRace is all about! 11/13 at 8pm ET/PT http://bit.ly/uxp5MU

“Super Shady” (Copenhagen, Denmark) – The Race travels to Copenhagen for the first time, where one Racer learns the meaning of two left feet and a double U-turn jeopardizes team positions in the Race, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, Nov. 13 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Emmy Award nominee Phil Keoghan is the host.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
Peach, I will just copy and paste the Copenhagen posts ...

I just got back from a field trip to the city where this mermaid lives: 

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 02:29:39 PM »
An opportunity to travel to Copenhagen came up  :hoot:   {{{}

Since CBS has listed Denmark as one of the visited countries for TAR19 I decided to do some good old fashioned detective work!  :spy:

I checked countless locations in and around Copenhagen to find out if the Race had come through.  On the first day, September 3rd, I took a 3.5 hour tour with Mike's
Bikes to get a feel for the city.  It's a great tour.  And if the girl from Dublin ever reads this please contact me!   :-[  Her bike broke down before I could get a name  (:;)

Back to the detective work:  Starting with what we know (not the actual time order of investigation)

Hillerød     It's to a castle I will take you!

The local press had already reported seeing Amazing Race filming at Frederiksborg Slot in Hillerød so I took the 25 minute metro ride out there and started asking around about the filming that happened there on July 4th.   I found out that many Danes are currently watching TAR18 on their cable channel (the latest episode had Luke drinking all the tea).  Here is what I found out about TAR19:

Teams arrived the morning of July 4th.  They drove their own cars past the usual parking areas and came right up to the castle.  They went running up two levels of spiral stairs and went to the Great Hall.  Here is a video of doing that:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qg6QMfZwq-Q?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qg6QMfZwq-Q?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

I could not make sense of the arrival order.  The two teams that stood out were Zac & Laurence and Marcus & Amani.  The rest of the teams became a big blur.

The task in the Great Hall involved wearing medieval clothes and doing dance routines.  One team member waited and watched while the other one did the task.  So we know this was the Roadblock.  Nobody could figure out what the helicopter was looking at.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »
Even before my visit to Copenhagen  last week I had already spent one day there with my teenage son the previous summer.

Continuing the Led Zeppelin motif

Such boys cannot be bothered by anything cultural or historic.  The one and only one thing he spotted and actually said "Let's go see THAT!" was the Vor Frelsers Kirke

It really does stand out!

And this is at the top:

So I went there again to make some inquiries:  Various staff on hand confirmed that Racers were there on July 4th.   :tup:   It turns out that the date is easy to pin down because there was a massive deluge rainstorm the day before in Denmark.  And everybody remembers that day.  The Teams had arrived the night before and parked their cars in the churchyard.  So it looks like it was a big Hours of Operation Equalizer.   (:;)  (:;)  Probably designed to obliterate any lead gained by Teams finding the fastest flights out of Malawi.

Video of climbing at the top:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cINoERizdB4?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cINoERizdB4?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

And just because it usually matters, the official number of stairs is 319.  But I counted 235 steps indoors and 147 steps outside.   :duno:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
Here is my next report from Copenhagen on possible locations visited by the Race on July 4th:

What is the never-to-be-missed TAR favorite task subject matter?

:hearts:  Animals   :hearts:

I asked the hotel concierge about where there are animals in Copenhagen, what kinds of animals Denmark is famous for (nothing came to my  mind!), if somebody wanted to work with animals where would they go?

The concierge gave me two places and some hotel guests mentioned a third:

• The Zoo
  • Jutland horses at the Carlsberg Visitor's center
  • A nearby open-air farm (which I got the name wrong so it was a bit of a chase)

I dismissed the Zoo because I had never heard of it before and I wanted to check the other leads first.  The horses sounded very promising. I went.  But nobody saw any race activity there.  The couple that told me about the open-air-farm were the European equivalent of Anita & Arthur ! :lol:  I finally got the name sorted out and much to my delight it started looking like TAR turf and lots of it!.

Fully stoked, I took the metro out to Frilandsmuseet (it was about 15 minutes, really easy).  And FREE admission too!  It's on 84 acres, has dozens of farms, and lot of animals. 

Here's the map:

wikipedia   Frilandsmuseet 

The museum features more than 100 buildings from rural environments and dating from 1650-1950. All buildings are original and has been moved piece by piece from their original location save a windmill that is still found in its original location.

The museum contains rural buildings from all regions of Denmark, including many of the small and remote Danish islands like Bornholm, Læsø. Represented are also buildings from the Faroe Islands, as well as the former Danish possessions of Southern Schleswig in Germany and Scania and Halland in Sweden. The distribution demonstrates how life has been adapted to regional living conditions and availability of materials. Buildings include a farmhouse from the island of læsø thatched with kelp

Represented in the collection are also all social living conditions, from a manor house to a poorhouse, different types of buildings like farms, mills and workshops, and numerous professions..

The museum include six mills including a post mill from 1662. Some of the mills are regularly operated by a guild of volunteers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2c35OnJvzJs?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2c35OnJvzJs?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

There are sheep: 

And goats:  (yes, that is an electric fence!)

And cattle:

And geese: 

The authenticity and perfection of the relocated farm structures is stunning.  I'm thinking this place just has to be a Race destination as I walk around.  Look at these buildings!   :jam:

So, did the Race come to Frilandsmuseet?  After walking about it I started asking around if anybody was there on July 4th.  Some staffers"remember" some "don't remember". 

But there definitely were cameras and chaos going on that day.    :tup: :jam: :hoot:

More info coming later ...

Here's a hint at the animal task:   queue music

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
double post  :groan:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:16:49 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 02:33:54 PM »
Thanks!  Just in case you were wondering, I had a lot of fun (and blisters on my feet) doing this.   :hoot:

In my investigation of Frilandsmuseet I tried to indicate that on July 4th the Teams were working with animals somehow:  like milking, collecting eggs, catching geese, etc.  There was no confirmation of any such thing.  But there was something because I saw a lot of smiles and masked giggles  :lol: ;)

Finally, with a bit of word play and pantomime I was finally able to pull the correct species out of my hat.   :lol3:

You will not believe what was going on there.  Not in 100 years!

It's called Kaninhop:

Meet Snoopy (for example!)

Rabbit Jumping Takes Scandanavia By Storm    By Mike
Copenhagen, Sept 5, 2010–The Danish National Rabbit Hopping championship drew millions of spectators as bunnies from all over Denmark and surrounding areas competed the the big prize: a ten foot carrot.  Rabbit hopping has taken Scandinavia by storm with millions of Scandinavians taking up the sport.  “Schools are empty and virtually no one goes to work,” complained Fredrik Reinfeldt, the prime minister of Sweden.  The finance minister of Norway cried, “Our economy is on the verge of collapse.  Everyone is rabbit jumping!”  Many social and city services are breaking down as more and more Scandinavians are replacing having sex in the snow with bunny hopping as the national sport.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ptyKSiRyQ4Y?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ptyKSiRyQ4Y?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

:faint:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
One of the benefits of going on a bike tour of Copenhagen was the discovery of a classic TAR Pit Stop scenario! 

Queue the music:  Pirates

BTW the bike tour was this one:   Bike Mike  and it is the first thing you should do if you ever visit Copenhagen!

Remember this TAR6:  Af Chapman

Directly opposite Copenhagen's new Opera House is Larsen's Plads.  This is a street along the water like the French quai. 

Street view here.

Well, on this plads there are three classic old sailing ships.  And yes, that is the Vor Frelsers Kirke in the background!

The three ships are the Lillian Dan, the Halmo, and the Havet:

I went up to the ships, asking if anybody saw any filming going on Larsens Plads on July 4th, the day after the big storm, I got a mixed response.  Some sailors said "yes", some said "no".  The timing of the sightings was afternoon into early evening.  But the "yeses" pointed to the place where I got the "no" so by process of elimination, the Havet would be the Pit Stop.  Nobody could ID the Teams so I have no arrival order  :'(

Interestingly enough, it is the Havet that appears in the Google Maps Street View! :lol:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »
This is the windmill where the Double U-Turn was located. 

It is a special windmill that rotates the whole mill to catch the best wind direction!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
"Bunnies, butter, ..."

The Butter refers to the other half of the Detour!  I remember hearing/seeing (think mime!) about there being an activity involving churning.

That could explain the Title quote about "Shade" because you would want it to be as cool as possible to make butter.

This building was the focal point of the Detour:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:52:36 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
Georgiapeach,

Phil say 1 team learns the meaning of having two left feet!
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
Chateau, what an amazing trip, and amazing detective work!  Thank you for sharing.   :yourock:

The bunny shots that you posted had me laughing out loud.

I am sure you're right about the "Super Shady" quote being related to the butter task, but it reminded me of a racer calling her partner really "shady" a few seasons back (Stephanie talking to Chad?), so I thought perhaps it was commentary on someone's behavior....

I visited Denmark as a child about 35 years ago, and have vivid and fond memories of it, and can't wait to see the Amazing Race in action there!

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »

Ernie (and Cindy I guess) look pretty happy, first place maybe?