Author Topic: EP 4 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 19945 times)

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
Re: EP 4 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 08:40:30 PM »
I can't remember if we'vr had 2 NELs in the first four legs before.

Well, there's last season (nobody got eliminated at the end of legs 1 and 4)
Don't forget that if there's 12 legs in this race, there are 4 non-eliminations in total (and not the usual 3) because of the double-elimination

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »
Here's a page on Koh Yao Noi rock climbing. Going by the map and the caps (photo source), they were climbing The Grateful Wall at the northern tip of the island.
Haven't found Soap Island yet; maybe it's beneath some clouds. The other stuff was already nailed down.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 06:24:52 AM »
Watching this episode, I was super excited to see teams at the exact same ticket counter as I was just 2 weeks ago at Yogyakarta Airport! Gives me tingles when something like that happens..

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 07:40:09 AM »
How funny that even though all teams were bunched together at the marine, Justin & Jennifer switched places with Laurence & Zac, but everyone else finished in exactly the same position that they started!

Also, Andy & Tommy have become the 8th team in TAR history to win 3 legs in a row after Colin & Christie (S5 8-10), BJ & Tyler (S9 10-12), Rob & Amber (S11 1-3), Ken & Tina (S13 2-4), Nick & Starr (S13 5-8), Meghan & Cheyne (S15 9-12) and Louie & Michael (S16 4-6).

If they win the next leg, they'll join Meghan & Cheyne and Nick & Starr as the only teams to have won 4 legs in a row.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:02:00 AM by Dom El »

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2011, 08:41:07 AM »
And if they win four more times in a row after this leg, they'll be tied with Marc & Rovilson.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2011, 09:15:08 AM »
Haven't found Soap Island yet; maybe it's beneath some clouds. The other stuff was already nailed down.

Looks like 8°01'11"N 98°31'43"E? (If you're using Google Earth adjust the imagery time to 17 Oct 2011.)

You can see it just west of the bay of Ko Yao Yai on this map. Many maps I see have it as Ko Sup.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:22:18 AM by Neobie »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
Teams are flying to Phuket, Thailand.

Andy & Tommy and Zac & Laurence decided to go somewhere else (sorry, wasn't paying attention) to get a flight. But it turns out that they had to go through Bankok after that, and then to Phuket. Their flight got in at 7:50.

The other teams got a direct flight to Phuket at 6:40.
Polaroid,
I am intensely curious on how the 6 lagging teams got to Phuket ahead of the leading 2 teams. I have done a lot of research of possible flights and have not figured it out. However, one thing that is certain is that there was no direct flight from Yogyakarta to Phuket. There are many flights from Yogyakarta to Jakarta and a few from Yogyakarta to Denpasar, but in neither case starting at 1230pm can you get ahead of the teams arriving 740pm from Bangkok.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
^ apskip
in the episode it was stated that the six teams went from Yogya to Jakarta and then to Phuket, having already booked tickets for the "afternoon flight". A/T and L/Z didn't find tickets on that flight because they didn't look for tickets until after they arrived to Jakarta and by then the flight was fully booked.

As for what flight they took I think it was one of Indonesia Air Asia. The code might be QZ 7744 but I'm not sure.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »
KiKi,
Thanks. You do have the correct explanation of this. QZ7744 departs Jakarta 1600 and arrives Phuket 1850. That has to be the way the 6 teams went. The only way the 2 leading teams did not get on that flight was negligence in not booking on arrival at Yoyakarta airport.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »
KiKi,
The only way the 2 leading teams did not get on that flight was negligence in not booking on arrival at Yoyakarta airport.

I am not sure I would call it negligence. I assume they arrived at the airport and the first counter they went to offered this flight to Jakarta which would leave really soon. So they did not have the time to research any further. Instead they were under the impression that there would be plenty of flights from Jakarta to Phuket, in reality it was only one.

The irony is that Laurence & Zac where at teh Air Asia counter when Andy & Tommy told them about the Gauruda flight. If they had stayed there they would probably have ended up on the first flight.