Author Topic: TAR 19 EP 5 "I Feel Like I'm in the Circus" (Bangkok, Thailand)  (Read 60219 times)

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
Re: TAR 19 EP 5 "I Feel Like I'm in the Circus" (Bangkok, Thailand)
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2011, 11:47:50 PM »
The Bangkok part of the leg is so random. They traveled for more than 10 hours for a fish feeding  :lol:
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2011, 12:51:35 AM »
I got the impression that the only reason Bangkok is the pit stop has to do with getting teams to Malawi.

It may be a leg was planned originally elsewhere in Thailand with the same pit stop, or that Bangkok was part of the last minute switch.

I wonder if we'll ever get the actual story.
-- theschnauzers

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »
And googling that Wat gives me pretty much zwro...no wonder we couldn't find it!!  It doesn't come up on the Wat databases that I can see.

yea the only info i had was that it was a wat chan... with it being a really long 11-12 letter c word.  sorry everyone if i slowed you down with my BIG double roadblock pictures.  i was trying to drop a hint but none of you were having it..haha

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2011, 01:49:34 AM »
After listening a few times, it sounds like "khlong song phraek." So whoever had Ton Pariwat for the elephants, step up and collect your prize. Also, the company name is probably "Anda Venture" (see here) I think if you zoom in with GE, you can actually see a few elephants near the kraal at the end of the road.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »
What madness is this? What a weird leg :lol: The fish thing is the dumbest task ever invented by TAR. I'm still confused with the order of the bus arrivals and why the top four were in their positions.

Let's hope the next one is better. I don't like these no skill, luck based legs.

The order of bus arrivals is explained by either of two potential explanations:
1. The overwhelming favorite is that the 3 first teams to arrive in time for 430pm departure did not check alternate bus companies and Express Buses, which is clearly the kind that Marcus/Amani, Bill/Cathi and Ernie/Cindy all got on for 530pm departure.
2. I have seen bus breakdowns (they tend to wear their tires to the limit) on either AR1, AR2, AR9 or AR14. That could have slowed down the 430pm bus.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
What madness is this? What a weird leg :lol: The fish thing is the dumbest task ever invented by TAR. I'm still confused with the order of the bus arrivals and why the top four were in their positions.

Let's hope the next one is better. I don't like these no skill, luck based legs.

The order of bus arrivals is explained by either of two potential explanations:
1. The overwhelming favorite is that the 3 first teams to arrive in time for 430pm departure did not check alternate bus companies and Express Buses, which is clearly the kind that Marcus/Amani, Bill/Cathi and Ernie/Cindy all got on for 530pm departure.
2. I have seen bus breakdowns (they tend to wear their tires to the limit) on either AR1, AR2, AR9 or AR14. That could have slowed down the 430pm bus.

I'm going with the first option.  The first three teams failed to check for alternate buses or Express ones.  Amani & Marcus, Bill & Cathi and Ernie & Cindy all got Express buses for their, so they pulled ahead.

Belle Book

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »
After listening a few times, it sounds like "khlong song phraek." So whoever had Ton Pariwat for the elephants, step up and collect your prize. Also, the company name is probably "Anda Venture" (see here) I think if you zoom in with GE, you can actually see a few elephants near the kraal at the end of the road.

Thanks Slowhatch   :-[

Ton Pariwat Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Tambon Song Phraek and covers a total area of 100,000 rai of shady flora. It also contains Namtok Ton Pariwat or known among the locals as “Namtok Song Phraek” which is 100 metres from the Sanctuary’s headquarters.

I guess my trunk did not get sliced off  :lol:   http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,26329.msg672383.html#msg672383
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2011, 02:27:55 AM »
Watch watch! (You're gonna have to parse that into a modifier noun and a head noun...)

Judging from Phil's watch, it looks like Marcus/Amani and Bill/Cathi check in at 9.25am, and 4th place Justin/Jennifer at 9.35am. It's a pretty close fight, at least for the top four spots! Ernie/Cindy arrive in Bangkok just before 6.24am (from watch in taxi) and are at the fish at... I think 7.06am? They spent a lot of time getting to the Pit Stop!

And looking at the watches from last week's check in, it appears that the Phuket Pit Stop was a 24h one. Was the Pit Start on the mainland, where Google mislabels the settlement around the mainland pier Koh Panyi? (Or maybe the name Koh Panyi refers to both the mainland pier and the island itself?)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:14:02 PM by Neobie »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »
(Or maybe the name Koh Panyi refers to both the mainland pier and the island itself?)
I think that's the case, at least on GE (notice how close the mangroves are) The village is Koh Panyi, and the port of Phang Nga is called Tha Dan. There's a row of piers but I'm guessing it's near the bend in the road by the water tower (kmz attached).

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »
I am trying to map the Bangkok locations, and this is what I have got:

Do we have anybody who knows the area and can check this?

My main problem is that the distance from the new southern bus terminal to the Bangkok Noi canal is only about 7 km, and that should be walkable in a little over an hour. So either my locations are off or the twins were not only without money but also lost.

/MaF

PS But I did admire their spirit in this episode and I was sorry to see them go.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
New member Karvelophile had some helpful ideas about which bus stations could have been used:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=11804

But I think that Chateau showed that Ekamai Bus Station was actually the Phuket one...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline valor boreal

• RFF Jr. Member
  • OS Race Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2011, 01:48:13 PM »
4500 baht seems like a huge overpaymet to me, for what was a couple of hours and not much that mileage. I think they saw cameras and the prices went up. Interesting that no one negotiated a fee BEFORE getting in a cab? I never took one without a meter without having an agreement...
I had the impression that the teams had cabs tied up for something like 4-5 hours (6 hours for the twins).

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »
So teams arrived at either the Northern/Mo Chit Terminal or the Southern/Sai Mai Terminal, and getting to the Southern Terminal, as the name suggests, is faster as the bus doesn't have to cut through town. Looking at the video again, I've got Ernie/Cindy and Lawrence/Zac arriving at the Southern, and everyone else at the Northern Terminal. Probably explains why Ernie/Cindy jumped ahead of the first bus to leave Phuket!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2011, 05:06:02 PM »
Mystery time!

The counter from which Andy/Tommy, Jeremy/Sandy and Justin/Jennifer got their tickets listed its destination as Mo Chit (Northern) Terminal, but the places where each team got their taxi don't make too much sense. Andy/Tommy look like they boarded at the Mo Chit Skytrain Station, which is the closest station to the bus terminal but still more than a kilometre away as the crow flies. Jeremy/Sandy and Justin/Jennifer board their taxi in a place that looks nothing like Mo Chit.

We see Justin/Jennifer waiting, at 7.32am, at the lower level of the Siam Station interchange, which serves trains towards Wong Wian Yai or On Nut. The pair only check in at 9.35am, so we know they're headed from Mo Chit to the fishes, and not from there to the Pit Stop. That eliminates On Nut as a possibility (since going that way from Mo Chit doesn't require a change at Siam Station), meaning Justin/Jennifer are headed towards Wong Wian Yai.

We can assume they took the metro to save money, but where did they alight? Each station they take on the line takes them further away from the fishes... And what about Jeremy/Sandy, considering they arrive at the fishes the same time as Andy/Tommy, who presumably took a taxi straight from Mo Chit?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:14:17 PM by Neobie »