Author Topic: EP 2 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 50814 times)

Offline mrmando

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: EP 2 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2011, 04:04:10 AM »
I watched the Justin/Jennifer argument more than once. I think it was staged.

It was a totally ridiculous argument to have. Surely Justin is smart enough to realize that if your instructions tell you to go by train, there's no point in arguing with your partner over other modes of transportation you might take. The argument doesn't sound like any kind of real conversation, because it's not: these two are talking to the camera, not to each other.

Cameras cut away from Justin/Jennifer to the other racers twice, then cut back. The audio continues uninterrupted while this happens, but each time the camera returns to Justin/Jennifer, they have switched places. This argument consists of three separate takes spliced together to simulate a conversation. Conclusion: it was not a real argument. Maybe our beloved TAR production team has been getting really boring footage from other teams and this was the best thing they could come up with. If that's the case, I really hope they can drum up something more compelling, and quick.

Not to say that J/J aren't prone to some real differences of opinion. In fact, judging from her facial expressions and body language in their interview clips, she hates her brother's guts and can barely stand to be within twelve feet of him. Things seem to be OK when he steps back and lets her take the lead, as he did during the parking task. But the minute he opens his mouth to assert himself, look out. I really wonder what made them want to do the race together.

Speaking of staged moments, I have a hard time believing the dude who found the lost passport at the gas station came up with the idea of taking it to the airport all on his own. And once he got there, how'd he know which terminal to go to? (LAX has 6 huge terminals.) No sir, someone from the TAR crew told him where to go if he wanted to be on TV and get a hug from a showgirl. I suppose you could argue that this being a non-elimination leg, the crew needed to find a way to get the showgirls to Taipei in time to run the leg and not throw the whole schedule off by a day. Be that as it may, it's still pretty obvious that strings were pulled in Kaylani & Lisa's favor.

(You've got to love how the showgirls say they want to shatter stereotypes about how dumb they are, and then proceed to drop a passport almost immediately. They did make a nice recovery in Ep. 2, but one has to hope there won't be another deus ex machina the next time they screw up, particularly if they're on an elimination leg.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:12:20 AM by mrmando »

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »

Speaking of staged moments, I have a hard time believing the dude who found the lost passport at the gas station came up with the idea of taking it to the airport all on his own. And once he got there, how'd he know which terminal to go to? (LAX has 6 huge terminals.) No sir, someone from the TAR crew told him where to go if he wanted to be on TV and get a hug from a showgirl. I suppose you could argue that this being a non-elimination leg, the crew needed to find a way to get the showgirls to Taipei in time to run the leg and not throw the whole schedule off by a day. Be that as it may, it's still pretty obvious that strings were pulled in Kaylani & Lisa's favor.

(You've got to love how the showgirls say they want to shatter stereotypes about how dumb they are, and then proceed to drop a passport almost immediately. They did make a nice recovery in Ep. 2, but one has to hope there won't be another deus ex machina the next time they screw up, particularly if they're on an elimination leg.)

There is more information about the passport getting to LAX in the media thread.

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,25517.msg666978.html#msg666978

And see Peach's comment down stream (first post on p13).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:04:46 PM by gator27 »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
ey could come up with. If that's the case, I really hope they can drum up something more compelling, and quick.

Speaking of staged moments, I have a hard time believing the dude who found the lost passport at the gas station came up with the idea of taking it to the airport all on his own. And once he got there, how'd he know which terminal to go to? (LAX has 6 huge terminals.)
mrmando,
I don't agree of the difficulty of finding them. I have been to LAX in July and it does have 8 terminals plus the Tom Bradley International Terminal. The first place that Ryan would have gone was the Bradley Terminal, which is where his page found Kaylani. However, if that did not work he should have moved on to Terminal 2 (the only other one with a large concentration of international airlines) and then, if he did not know they were going to Taiwan, the terminals of the U.S. airlines which fly internationally.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2011, 11:38:44 AM »
Ryan knew exactly where to go because I told him exactly where. :lol: It was never a question.

And no, CBS/WRP were in no way involved, they were very surprised as the NYTimes article states.

No conspiracy, no mystery, just an RFF team in the right place at the right time to be able to help out a stranger. We never questioned that it was the right thing to do, we could not have done otherwise. And as you are all aware, it was never done for spoilers or attention,  we did not spoil this. And I would probably never have said a word had Phil not all but ID'd me. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
 :jam:

And if Ryan did not drive to LAX I was on my way to go fetch the Passport from him !  There was enough time to do that and still catch the 1:20 am flight to Taipei. 

But, I Knew that I didn't have to make the drive when I walked up upon the filming of the four of them together.  It was 10:45 pm. 

If Phil was doing the elimination at that point I would have told him to stop and wait.   :knuckles:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders