Author Topic: TAR 20 Pre-Race Speculation  (Read 57190 times)

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
TAR 20 Pre-Race Speculation
« on: September 29, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »
The start is probably about 5 or 6 weeks away. I found out when all the late fall/early winter seasons started filming, and this is what I came up with.

Season 2: 1/7-2/3
Season 4:1/18-2/14
Season 5: 1/30-2/27
Season 7: 11/20-12/19
Season 9: 11/7-12/3
Season 11: 11/20-12/17
Season 14: 10/31-11/21
Season 16: 11/28-12/20
Season 18: 11/20-12-12

Season 14 started on the last day of October, so we could be about a month away from the start of filming, but most likely we are about 6 weeks away from the start. Anyway, use this thread for speculation.

NO WISHLISTS PLEASE!--peach
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:09:17 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 20 Pre-Race Speculation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »
Just feels like the racers were in Taiwan yesterday.

It does, but the new season will be starting in about 6 weeks.

Africa: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 19
South America: 2, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 16, 18
Australia: 2, 4, 5, 9, 13, 18
China: 1, 2, 6, 10, 11, 14, 16, 17, 18
India: 1, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18

That is a chart of what countries and continents were visited during what seasons. It seems like we won't see Africa as it has been visited 3 out of the last 4 seasons, so it probably is due for a break from the race. I assume we will see South America featured in this race because it only got 1 leg in 18. I highly doubt we will see Australia, but its a small possibility. China and India have both been visited 9 out of the 19 times, so they pretty much get visited every other race. That would make both of them due to be visited on this race, and we will probably at least see one of them. Maybe we will see Canada revisited or a Latin American or Caribbean country.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:24:44 PM »
Canada!   :yess:

Canada is definitely overdue.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
I reckon a visit to New Zealand might be in order. It hasn't been done since S13 and after the devastating earthquake in Christchurch, Phil himself sent out an appeal that the best thing you can do to help is to keep visiting New Zealand, as the tourism revenue helps greatly with the cleanup.

As an executive producer now, I'd imagine he has some leverage in deciding locations, and this seems like as important a time as any to go back to NZ.

As for Canada, it was only visited in S5 and S8, but never with a pitstop. And Mexico was only visited in S3. Is there a reason production avoids these countries? I can only guess that it would seem 'too close to home' to most viewers and not exotic enough to draw viewers so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also long overdue are the northern countries of South America, most of which are perfectly safe. Turkey, which is one of the largest countries in the world, but most people still just assume its Istanbul and not much else. Other safe countries in the Middle-East such as Qatar or Israel need a visit, at least just to show that the Middle-East is more than either oil-fuelled majesty and terror-ridden states.

Apologies if this sounds like a wishlist post. Just my two cents on what places are long overdue and I expect to see visited in the next few cycles!

Offline Charlie90

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »
Well, i don't know about the other countries but i think they're avoiding México because of the Drug Cartel War going on right now. It's kinda dangerous for them, which it's a shame since i live in Mexico and i can assure you, it has beautiful and breathtaking sceneries yet to be showcased.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:26:34 AM »
Since this is the 20th season, I expect 5 continents, possibly (but not likely) 6, with tons of famous destinations like TAR 18. S. America, Europe, and Asia are near-definites, while Africa is more likely than Oceania (that is, New Zealand) because going to New Zealand would pretty much require it to be the first stop, and that would mean 3 west to east cycles in a row.

I expect the race to go to South America first. Because TAR now uses direct flights to the first destination, I can definitely see a starting line of Miami and a first stop in either Buenos Aires or Lima, Peru. If the latter, throw in a second leg near Machu Picchu, and then to Buenos Aires or directly to Europe. At least 2 legs, maybe 3.

Europe: Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain are still high on my list of places TAR should return. Unfortunately, there are current economic issues there, particularly Greece, that may shy away the producers. Spain may also not be suitable after a few legs of S. America, so really, anywhere east of France is in play. Belgium and Denmark, the last two major countries in the Western half of Europe have been used up, so this leaves a return to magnificent Berlin and then a visit to the only new country this cycle, perhaps in the Baltic states. Probably only 3 legs.

For Africa, I'm heavily leaning towards Kilimanjaro and possibly Rwanda via Nairobi for a memorable Central Africa visit. Anyway, we'll see 1 or 2 legs there probably.

The only thing I can guarantee for Asia is a stop somewhere in India (and then perhaps Nepal) because it's the classic TAR destination. If TAR doesn't have anywhere to go in Europe, it'll stop in Turkey instead. China probably has to be visited since all the other East Asia countries have had recent stops (and the Philippines still have a travel warning); the alternative is Vietnam. 3 or 4 legs.

The final leg will either be in Seattle or Chicago; I'm hoping for the latter because it's a classy city full of culture. A stop in Vancouver, which I still highly recommend and want to see, would open up more possible final leg locations.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 01:55:38 AM »
Since this is the 20th season, I expect 5 continents, possibly (but not likely) 6, with tons of famous destinations like TAR 18. S. America, Europe, and Asia are near-definites, while Africa is more likely than Oceania (that is, New Zealand) because going to New Zealand would pretty much require it to be the first stop, and that would mean 3 west to east cycles in a row.

I expect the race to go to South America first. Because TAR now uses direct flights to the first destination, I can definitely see a starting line of Miami and a first stop in either Buenos Aires or Lima, Peru. If the latter, throw in a second leg near Machu Picchu, and then to Buenos Aires or directly to Europe. At least 2 legs, maybe 3.

Europe: Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain are still high on my list of places TAR should return. Unfortunately, there are current economic issues there, particularly Greece, that may shy away the producers. Spain may also not be suitable after a few legs of S. America, so really, anywhere east of France is in play. Belgium and Denmark, the last two major countries in the Western half of Europe have been used up, so this leaves a return to magnificent Berlin and then a visit to the only new country this cycle, perhaps in the Baltic states. Probably only 3 legs.

For Africa, I'm heavily leaning towards Kilimanjaro and possibly Rwanda via Nairobi for a memorable Central Africa visit. Anyway, we'll see 1 or 2 legs there probably.

The only thing I can guarantee for Asia is a stop somewhere in India (and then perhaps Nepal) because it's the classic TAR destination. If TAR doesn't have anywhere to go in Europe, it'll stop in Turkey instead. China probably has to be visited since all the other East Asia countries have had recent stops (and the Philippines still have a travel warning); the alternative is Vietnam. 3 or 4 legs.

The final leg will either be in Seattle or Chicago; I'm hoping for the latter because it's a classy city full of culture. A stop in Vancouver, which I still highly recommend and want to see, would open up more possible final leg locations.

The Philippines travel warning is mainly centered in Mindinao and the Sulu Archepelago.  Manila, Palawan and the rest of the country is practically safe but with caution.  Israel was recently visited on the Australian versian and visited both the Israeli coastline and areas near the West Bank with no conflict. I agree for Israel and Rwanda, which are way overdue for a visit.  Palau (after Asia) or Fiji (after New Zealand/Australia) fits in well here too.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »
I know it's a stretch (and I don't know how many times they've visited), but what are the chances of TAR going to the caribbean any time soon? Was the last time they went there in the family edition? My mind is absolutely shot, and it doesn't help when I think there's a bug in my bed.
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
The islands themselves depend on exactly when they are filming.  Hurricane season doesn't normally end until November 30th, and this has been a very active year (16 named storms, 18 tropical cyclones) in the basin that includes the Caribbean Sea. The islands have had several of them go through already this year; it's just that none of them were major hurricane strength, fortunately.

However, because this is been an extreme active season as was predicted, there's a better than 50-50 change they will get several more tropical cyclones to form before November 30th or maybe into December. That's what happened in both 1995 and 2005 which were the two most active seasons we had recently.  The Caribbean, especially the western half, is the most common area for late season storms to develop,

Bottom line -- unless filming starts in late November, the Caribbean probably won't be included to avoid the risk of having to make last minutes changes. (Which is exactly what they had to contend with during filming of TAR Family Edition in 2005 where IIRC filming was affected at four different times by tropical cyclones.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »

Really? Well, how about New York City my favorite for the 20th anniversary finish line or San Diego (my 2nd favorite and never visited)? Also, how about:
Philadelphia (never visited)
Pittsburgh (never visited)
Charlotte (never visited)
Orlando (never visited)
New Orleans (one visit)
Houston (never visited)
San Antonio (never visited)
Detroit (never visited)
Minneapolis (never visited)
St. Louis (never visited)
Kansas City (never visited)
Sacramento (never visited)

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
I'm wondering why they never went to one of France's DOM-TOM (French Guyana, Reunion, French Polynesia, New Caledonia, etc.). They are all safe and exotic.
They could easily start in Miami for French Guyana, then go to France afterwards.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »
Really? Well, how about New York City my favorite for the 20th anniversary finish line or San Diego (my 2nd favorite and never visited)? Also, how about:
Philadelphia (never visited)
Pittsburgh (never visited)
Charlotte (never visited)
Orlando (never visited)
New Orleans (one visit)
Houston (never visited)
San Antonio (never visited)
Detroit (never visited)
Minneapolis (never visited)
St. Louis (never visited)
Kansas City (never visited)
Sacramento (never visited)

NYC would certainly be an excellent destination and my personal pick for the end of the 20th race. However, because TAR now uses direct international flights instead of transferring within the US, it's going to be hard to get there if the race heads east. I forgot San Diego, which would be very nice as well. Racers would have to fly to LAX though, and perhaps take a helicopter ride to SD? Then again, the producers did venture deep into the Florida Keys... All the other destinations only make sense if Vancouver is there as the transfer point (except Sacramento, there's really not that much to do there).

One thing that needs to be clarified: I'm basing my thoughts on a route which traverses the world eastward. If TAR defies that, then a lot of my speculation gets thrown out, and we could theoretically have 6 continents with N. Zealand (and just maybe Fiji or New Caledonia).

Offline Charlie90

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »
It would be great if they could visit Guyana, Suriname or the French Guyana. I'm really looking forward for them to visit those countries.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 11:34:33 PM »

@PhilKeoghan
Phil Keoghan A to Q: We're preparing a new season and we'll shoot later in the year. #AmazingRace
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:08:15 AM »
Probably means that the season will start towards the end of November.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 06:06:26 PM »
Getting a sudden rush of TAR "sightings" in Seattle>>  on Twitter

So they're shooting the amazing race where I'm at & people are running around like crazy persons     

Just drove by people who are part of occupy Seattle and the Amazing Race, wow what a weird day     

Amazing race ppl just ran past Starbucks westlake .... O_o
1 hour ago
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
SimplySeaStores SimplySeattle
The amazing race folks just came into our store! They were looking for the golden pig name Rachel in the Pike... http://fb.me/A4pYh45O
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
False alarm
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
could be a number of things. Could be TAR Australia, Could be a false sighting and it could definitely be a very early start to the season.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
Looking for TAR on Twitter already? :lol: The application for this season said you will be gone for Thanksgiving and back for Christmas. I thought it would start in November.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 06:25:24 PM »
and it could definitely be a very early start to the season.

NOPE.

Looking for TAR on Twitter already? :lol:

Twitter is my friend. :lol3:

Just keeping y'all on your toes!! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
Holy **** that would have been a SHOCK!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 09:51:52 PM »
Holy **** that would have been a SHOCK!

Tell me about it. :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »
Teams of five wearing vests would have not been a likely sighting.  Just like their neighbors up the coast in Vancouver British Columbia.....speaking of which aren't we due for a false sighting from them?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:46:38 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline amazingracer24

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 11:08:52 PM »
False alarm

if I saw these folks, I would freak out!  :lol3: