December 20, 2014, 06:30:33 AM

Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 167276 times)

Online TARloveit

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Victory Lap Time!
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1350 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:22 AM »
Two questions:

1) What if a team which is temporaily the last team gives up an Intersection? It'll result in a penalty for the penultimate team as well for not completing the task.

Another similar case could be that the penultimate team has to wait for the last team that encounters trouble in flight and that is almost "never" able to arrive at the Intersection locale. (Imagine the penultimate team waits for over 6 hours for the last team, which is a large amount of time that's hard to make up in the next leg.)

2) Can an EP bypass the Intersection? This may result in the case that the last team has no other team to cooperate with.

1) The Amazing Race Australia, Season 1 had this exact issue. Chris & Anastasia opted to quit the log sawing Intersection in Poland because Anastasia could not physically do it, and they got the full 4 hour penalty. Sam & Renae, the team they were intersected with, were forced to give up because Anastasia was necessary to complete the task. However, they only got a 2 hour penalty because 1) they were forced, and 2) they already successfully cut one log piece.

The closest one that I can think of right now for the similar case is Dustin & Kandice, who had a 12+ hour lead on Eric & Danielle and Joe & Bill in the Warsaw leg of TAR11, being forced to wait 4 hours for another team to pair up with because they were the third team to arrive in the Intersection board (after being equalized with Oswald & Danny and Uchenna & Joyce via a bus to Auschwitz.). The next leg had flight equalizers anyways, so it didn't affect them much.

2) I'm not sure about this one.
-TAR25: Victory Lap Time!
-Excited for TAR26 :)
-Pi's TAR:USA - #TheDDuo

Online TARloveit

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Victory Lap Time!
« Reply #1351 on: November 14, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
The leg with the most tasks is probably the first Las Vegas leg in TAR Israel 3

Didn't that leg have around 10 tasks? I'm pretty sure that's the most we can get.
-TAR25: Victory Lap Time!
-Excited for TAR26 :)
-Pi's TAR:USA - #TheDDuo

Offline nmccarroll91

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1352 on: November 14, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
The leg with the most tasks is probably the first Las Vegas leg in TAR Israel 3

Didn't that leg have around 10 tasks? I'm pretty sure that's the most we can get.

That's a crazy amount of tasks! :o
Leads me to asking, which Leg for the US Version has had the most tasks?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:03:08 AM by nmccarroll91 »
..... The World is Waiting! .....

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formerly known as Platinum
« Reply #1353 on: November 14, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
Two questions:

1) What if a team which is temporaily the last team gives up an Intersection? It'll result in a penalty for the penultimate team as well for not completing the task.

Another similar case could be that the penultimate team has to wait for the last team that encounters trouble in flight and that is almost "never" able to arrive at the Intersection locale. (Imagine the penultimate team waits for over 6 hours for the last team, which is a large amount of time that's hard to make up in the next leg.)

2) Can an EP bypass the Intersection? This may result in the case that the last team has no other team to cooperate with.

About the EP, I asked that more than a year ago. I never got an exact answer and I still wonder to this day how it'll work, since I'm making a fan fiction of TAR. :( I can't apply it until I get an exact answer. :pity

About your 1st question, it reminds me of something.
What if a team withdrew at the start of the leg which will have an intersection later on. For example, David & Connor withdrew in 8th place. Let's say: Since TAR assumed that 8 teams would race, they set up an intersection on that leg, but after a team's withdrawal, what will happen then? :ascared

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Full Member
  • TEAM CUTE ACTIVATE
« Reply #1354 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »
Two questions:

About the EP, I asked that more than a year ago. I never got an exact answer and I still wonder to this day how it'll work, since I'm making a fan fiction of TAR. :( I can't apply it until I get an exact answer. :pity

What if a team withdrew at the start of the leg which will have an intersection later on. For example, David & Connor withdrew in 8th place. Let's say: Since TAR assumed that 8 teams would race, they set up an intersection on that leg, but after a team's withdrawal, what will happen then? :ascared

They would know they were quitting before hand so they would just take away the intersection and maybe place it when there would be 6 teams maybe

Offline SteKay

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • King Keith
« Reply #1355 on: November 14, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
Didn't Paula & Natasha wait a good few hours at an intersection for Terri & Henry?

In the Aus version Anastacia gave up the intersection and they got a 4 hour penalty whereas Sam/Renae got a 2 hour one if I remember correctly :lol:

Hope

Offline nmccarroll91

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1356 on: November 14, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »

They would know they were quitting before hand so they would just take away the intersection and maybe place it when there would be 6 teams maybe

Even if they did know of a teams withdrawal prior to the start of the Leg, it would still cause chaos among production, because the clues previous to the Intersection would be directing teams to the Intersection location, and these would all need to be reprinted, so instead, teams are directed to wherever they would be going after the Intersection.  This could be deemed extremely difficult as everyone is on the road, and don't have a specific "base" as such to go too.
..... The World is Waiting! .....

Offline Philimination

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR USA vs Canada coming soon!
« Reply #1357 on: November 14, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
Two questions:

I think the intersection would either be skipped completely or changed at the last minute to an Active Route Info or something.
Usually in intersections, it's a task that can be "split in half" so to speak, so maybe production can make it so that teams do half of the intersection, but rewritten as an ARI.
This August: The rivalry is on.
My first ever non-voting fantasy TAR game:
The Amazing Race: USA vs Canada
Signups begin NOW!...

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1358 on: November 14, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »
It may be why we haven't seen an Intersection appear in recent American seasons, due to the chaos it may arise by the Express Pass.

As to the aftermath of withdrawal of any team on the Intersection, I don't think it's a big issue for the crew because the crew would know the case priorily and they just need to cancel the Intersection and reprint the clue.

IIRC this happened in the second season of China Rush where a predetermined Intersection was forced to move to a latter leg. (It was not aired tho. I know it from insider's news.)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1359 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
Question:

Could it happen in a leg with U-Turn that one team, completing all tasks and arriving at the pitstop, just fails to find the U-Turn board midway? I mean, due to the route the taxi driver chooses, the team may just take a shortcut or make a much longer distance and hence the team members don't see the U-Turn board as if it didn't exist in this leg and go directly to the next task locale.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1360 on: November 18, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »
Is there a penalty for ripping off the clue?

According to the promo of EP6 of TAR China (Shenzhen version), a team member does so because he's very angry.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Online Karpov617

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1361 on: November 18, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
Question:

Could it happen in a leg with U-Turn that one team, completing all tasks and arriving at the pitstop, just fails to find the U-Turn board midway? I mean, due to the route the taxi driver chooses, the team may just take a shortcut or make a much longer distance and hence the team members don't see the U-Turn board as if it didn't exist in this leg and go directly to the next task locale.

The way the race course is structured in the US version, it's almost impossible to skip the U-Turn board since 1) the clue says to visit the board, and 2) their next clue is usually right beside the U-Turn board. And even if they skip it because they failed to see it within a few feet of them, they would probably be turned away from the pit stop since they missed a route marker or be penalized. This is especially the case if the team who accidentally skipped the U-Turn in actually U-Turned.

In other versions however (like Philippines 2), there is no clue next to the must-vote U-Turn or Yield boards. Instead, the clue that says where the U-Turn board is also says their next destination, only that the teams have to pass by the U-Turn board first. For example, Charlie & Daniel in Philippines 2 forgot to visit the U-Turn board in Leg 2, only to realize it after arriving at their next clue in another province. They went back and discovered they were U-Turned, which they had to do before returning to the race course.

Is there a penalty for ripping off the clue?

According to the promo of EP6 of TAR China (Shenzhen version), a team member does so because he's very angry.

What does "ripping off a clue" mean? If you mean destroying their own clue, I think the team won't get a penalty since destroying their clue would be to their own disadvantage, similar to losing their clue or giving it away. Getting a second clue would institute a penalty, however.
"My goal is not to wake up at forty with the bitter realization that I've wasted my life in a job I hate because I was forced to decide on a career in my teens." - Daria Morgendorffer, Daria, "Gifted"

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1362 on: November 18, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
I think Phil or BVM said in an Interview, no more Intersections!!
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1363 on: November 19, 2014, 01:04:45 AM »
What does "ripping off a clue" mean? If you mean destroying their own clue, I think the team won't get a penalty since destroying their clue would be to their own disadvantage, similar to losing their clue or giving it away. Getting a second clue would institute a penalty, however.

Yeah, I mean to tear up the clue into pieces. I agree on your reply.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Full Member
  • TEAM CUTE ACTIVATE
« Reply #1364 on: November 21, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
In Tar 14 leg 9 ( Guilin, China ) what happened at the start because when the first two flights landed it was pitch black and when they arrived at the hair salon it was morning with the sun fully up was there an unaired overnight rest or did it actually take that long to get to?

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Mega Altaria tho
« Reply #1365 on: November 21, 2014, 04:20:52 PM »
In Tar 14 leg 9 ( Guilin, China ) what happened at the start because when the first two flights landed it was pitch black and when they arrived at the hair salon it was morning with the sun fully up was there an unaired overnight rest or did it actually take that long to get to?
They went to the Peak of the Luminous Moon and did some task with drums that was unaired.
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity" - Nelson Mandela

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. " - Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1366 on: November 28, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
What if there's a tie in voting U-Turn?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline GB

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Team Number One!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1367 on: November 28, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
This just happened on TAR Philippines. Both teams got 3/10 votes and were both U-Turned.

Two times this has also happened with a voting Yield. Once on TAR Philippines season 1, and once on TAR Israel 3
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! It's not dead anymore!!
The Amazing Race section: 90% Complete!!
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1368 on: December 03, 2014, 03:56:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply above.

Another question: Is a U-turn valid, from a team following the normal route, on another team who's currently doing a Fast Forward (and later that team finishes this FF)? This might happen in the case that tasks on the normal route are easy while the FF task is time-consuming.

As to another case that a team U-turns another team that has finished the FF, that U-turn is invalid, isn't it?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Online Karpov617

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1369 on: December 03, 2014, 07:15:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply above.

Another question: Is a U-turn valid, from a team following the normal route, on another team who's currently doing a Fast Forward (and later that team finishes this FF)? This might happen in the case that tasks on the normal route are easy while the FF task is time-consuming.

As to another case that a team U-turns another team that has finished the FF, that U-turn is invalid, isn't it?

A team that is U-Turned but won a Fast Forward wouldn't be affected by that U-Turn.

My question is: Could a team really go back to U-Turn after passing it? Amy & Maya said Brooke & Robbie should go back and U-Turn the cyclists, but does the rules really allow for this?

A hypothetical I would like to throw out there :) Can a team that has finished a Fast Forward go back on the normal race course, complete the Detour, then use the U-Turn? This could happen if the team is far ahead enough, like Natalie & Nadiya in Amsterdam/Season 21. Logistically, it would be the same as a team completing the Detour and using the U-Turn first before heading to the Fast Forward and claiming it, but is the team locked to the Fast Forward?
"My goal is not to wake up at forty with the bitter realization that I've wasted my life in a job I hate because I was forced to decide on a career in my teens." - Daria Morgendorffer, Daria, "Gifted"

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Mega Altaria tho
« Reply #1370 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:34 AM »
^ I think that the team could go do the Detour, U-Turn someone, and then go to the FF. I think you have to go right to the Pit Stop after winning the FF.
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity" - Nelson Mandela

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. " - Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

Offline GB

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Team Number One!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1371 on: December 03, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
The Fast Forward can be taken at any point in the leg. In Season 4, Steve & Dave took the FF (which appeared at the first Route Marker) after completing the Detour.

The rest of the course, however, must be done in order.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! It's not dead anymore!!
The Amazing Race section: 90% Complete!!
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Custom Search