Author Topic: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*  (Read 323920 times)

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*
« Reply #775 on: September 21, 2011, 12:17:31 AM »
I've been looking into possible locations for this Mustang task and come up with a few ideas. We see the driver wearing a helmet, implying that this is not taking place on public roads. So the private location needs to have the wide expanse where we see the white Mustang performing donuts on, and also a long straight with forest cover that we see the red Mustang speeding through.

I'm fairly certain Taiwan doesn't have a facility that fits this description, let alone even a single race circuit. We also know of quite a large number tasks, more than the average first leg, so I will be very surprised if it is Taiwan.

Looking at Indonesia, I can't find any information on any circuit other than the Sentul Circuit posted earlier. Watching a lap of this circuit, its clear that the footage doesn't fit here. Ford don't have a production plant in Indonesia, so the Mustangs would have had to have been shipped over, unless they were hired from a third party.

Looking over the circuits in Thailand, a possible fit is the Kaeng Krachan track. If you go to 1:30 on this video, the trees on the right seem like a possible match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCOpLxugCQ However, the lighting of the Mustang shot implies that there is tree cover on both sides of the track.

A notable feature of the red Mustang shot is the long grass. It is unusual to see such unkempt greenery in a top-class circuit, unless it was a huge facility. This made me look into Ford Testing Facilities. We saw teams take a ride on the Mercedes-Benz test track in Germany in Season 9, so why not again with Ford? Ford have no testing grounds in Asia, but apart from one in the UK, the only other one in Europe is in BELGIUM: The Lommel Proving Ground.

The facility itself is huge, with a large variety of tracks which are all closed to the public. As a result, there are very few videos of the track itself. Of the few there are though, they show evidence of narrow straights, undulating terrain, forest cover on both sides with very similar trees to the ones we see in the footage. In short, some parts of the Ford facility seem to be a perfect fit for the Mustang task.

We've wondered why there was virtually no sightings of the race in Belgium. The test track is quite removed from any major city, so if teams were touring the remote Belgian countryside (or maybe even the Dutch as well; the border is only a couple of miles away) for this leg, no wonder we had no info.

Still no concrete proof, but at the moment, this is my best guess..

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #776 on: September 21, 2011, 01:23:35 AM »
I think they were just showcasing a potential prize for the season, and had no connection to any leg.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #777 on: September 21, 2011, 03:47:22 AM »
Great research Domel! But I would still be surprised if something shown in the first promo was for an episode beyond the first two. Can't remember them doing that.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #778 on: September 21, 2011, 03:50:39 AM »
Great research Domel! But I would still be surprised if something shown in the first promo was for an episode beyond the first two. Can't remember them doing that.

Yeah that's my only concern. I guess the argument would be that it fits with the 'X-Treme' theme of the promo and doesn't spoil a specific location, but I suppose its unlikely!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #779 on: September 21, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »
The only reason why the source of that clip could be a later episode is that we can't see any Racers in the episode. And the fact that we're having problems pinning down a location in either Taiwan or Indonesia that fits the clips, as well as a source for the vehicles, leaves this wide open.

And the fact that they haven't done that in the previously doesn't preclude it now, especially when the clip tells us nothing about the teams or the location or even what type of task might be involved.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #780 on: September 21, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »
The only reason why the source of that clip could be a later episode is that we can't see any Racers in the episode. And the fact that we're having problems pinning down a location in either Taiwan or Indonesia that fits the clips, as well as a source for the vehicles, leaves this wide open.

And the fact that they haven't done that in the previously doesn't preclude it now, especially when the clip tells us nothing about the teams or the location or even what type of task might be involved.

That's a good point! Its an exciting clip, doesn't spoil anything and earns them big points (and dollars) with Ford. So why wouldn't they use it? Only a small minority of the audience (which includes us!) will wonder where the cars were if its not the first two legs..

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #781 on: September 21, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »
^ Europe is easier to transport the cars and most of the car tasks all these years have been located in Europe. On the other hand drifting is most popular in Asia. So if we don't see the cars in the first two episodes my next bet would be Thailand.

Imagine though, if after all this speculation the cars turn out to have no real connection to the race. That would be hilarious.
Joab's TARA- Kiki & Co-racer. Hitting the BlackJack tables in Macau

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #782 on: September 21, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
^ Europe is easier to transport the cars and most of the car tasks all these years have been located in Europe. On the other hand drifting is most popular in Asia. So if we don't see the cars in the first two episodes my next bet would be Thailand.

Imagine though, if after all this speculation the cars turn out to have no real connection to the race. That would be hilarious.

That would be TERRIBLE !  :lol:

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #783 on: September 21, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
Good points! Remember that "drifting" is just my spec as well...we have nothing firm, it just looked possible.

And they may even have done this clue for a later ep before, I am notoriously bad about remembering stuff like that.

And as someone said...we are WAY overloaded with yummy tasks already in ep 1 and 2...so don't know if this would even fit a Hazard or SpeedBump. Seems like safety briefings etc would take much longer than the usual 20-30 minutes alloted for those. So we may need to look closer at the tasks we have already...
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #784 on: September 23, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
WP found a press release that explains the Mustang thing really well. It looks like it will be a task for leg two and the winners of that leg will receive some cars.
There are supposed to also be tasks along the way featuring Fiestas and Fusions. Lots of :lol:

A quick search found some mentions of this on some car forums as well so hopefully this will be a great cross promotion for them.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #785 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
The article I read did not mention episode 2, but "an upcoming leg," and the prize at the pit stop wasn't tied to any particular leg in the article.
I'm quite relunctant to assume that those referred to episode two when we're still not sure when the Mustangs come into play -- we have speculation, and it may be ultimately sound speculation, but I don't think we're at that point yet with what we know (as opposed to inferences). JMO, YMMV.
-- theschnauzers

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #786 on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
The article I read did not mention episode 2, but "an upcoming leg," and the prize at the pit stop wasn't tied to any particular leg in the article.

I agree. Upcoming leg is all we know...could be anywhere!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #787 on: September 23, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »
Episode 2 was my spec, borrowed from several who identified the location as Indonesia. Could be leg three since there are not many gaps in leg two or I/they could be wrong.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #788 on: September 24, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »
Phil says: 'We have a few circumstances this season. The weather played a major effect on where we went later on. We had to change course midway through, so that was a challenge.'

I think it could be one of these events:

Tropical Storm Meari (also referred to as Falcon) left dozens of people dead as it impacted several countries in East Asia. The storm formed east of the Philippines on June 20th and the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) named the storm 'Falcon' that evening. The storm was upgraded to tropical storm strength on the 22nd and the Japan Meteorological Agency named the cyclone 'Meari'. The storm reached maximum intensity of 70 mph (110 km/hr). At least eight fatalities were reported in the Philippines , where an estimated 1.7 million people across 12 provinces were affected. Media reports stated that at least nine people were killed in South Korea and 17 people were killed in northern Vietnam due to lightning strikes and flooding from the storm. Meari made landfall in southwestern North Korea near the city of Pyongyang on the 27th; however, no information about possible deaths or damages was publicly available. The storm disippated that same day as it moved over land.

This could easily force a change of route if any of the above countries were planned..

In nearby Nepal and northeastern India, almost 80 people perished and 200,000 had to be evacuated due to heavy rains and subsequent landslides since the monsoon season began in June.

Also possible, but would WRP have planned five new countries in this race?

My money's on Meari. I don't think the Philippines was on the original route, as the US has a travel warning out at the moment for that country.

But the real question is, will we ever find out?!

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #789 on: September 24, 2011, 03:27:04 PM »
I like it.... nice job!

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #790 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »
I'm not sure if I posting this in the right place, but I recently read an interview Jenna and Ethan did on The Amazing Race. The two things that popped out to me were this:
“We went into the game not wanting to tell anyone that we were on 'Survivor' and you’ll see how that works out,” Morasca told CNN by phone. (There were, of course, a lot of “You have to watch the show” mentions, seeing as the filming wrapped in July. The only thing we could glean from the interview was that Team "Survivor" was not eliminated early.)

and

When reminded that one contestant did propose (successfully) during the race in season 17 and asked if he ever got on one knee during the race, Zohn said he did trip over something. “And handed me a diamond, you’ll have to watch and see,” Morasca joked.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/23/survivors-morasca-and-zohn-are-ready-to-race/

Any spoilers that can be found from this?  :duno: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place......
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #791 on: September 27, 2011, 02:58:08 AM »
Judging by Jenna's tweets about K&L, it seems that E&J were eliminated before K/L.  :duno: So hopefully it will be Ron and Bill and Ethan and Jenna eliminated next.

Offline guacamole300

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #792 on: September 27, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »
Just speculation of course, but the confessional where E/J are talking about no telling the other racers they were Survivor winners seems to me that is set in Indonesia. We have another confessional of them in Taiwan similar to the location of the other racers' end of the leg confessionals.

Now, it just seems weird to me that they would be talking about that in Indonesia... I mean, that topic would be at the top of the list of things to talk about in the first confessionals. I just think that they're talking about it, because they were eliminated and are recounting their journey through the race.

It could very well mean nothing, and maybe I'm looking waaay into it, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #793 on: October 02, 2011, 02:13:59 AM »
I just noticed some things for this season's race.  Indonesia, Malawi, Belgium, and Denmark for starters, are countries that for the last several seasons we been wanting the race to visit.  Also the other countries like Taiwan and Panama only gotten 1 visit in the past. Thailand was pretty much put aside since TAR14.  Another thing is that I believe we have a 9th country unaccounted for possibly in Africa or Europe, maybe after Malawi and before Denmark but I could be wrong.  And finally with the double pit-stop elimination in Leg 2, if 12 legs are counted for, we could have the keep going Pit Stop like last season followed by 2-3 more speedbumps.  That is all I have to say for now.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #794 on: October 02, 2011, 10:20:41 PM »
Another map quiz on the final leg?

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #795 on: October 02, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
ooohhhhh...nice one!! Let's hope so!!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • For the winners go to spoil!
« Reply #796 on: October 02, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »
Slowhatch is fast! I'm wondering if they got a map for Taiwan, but I'm definitely thinking that right now!
Found out that Neobie in Chinese means "f*king awesome"! No, really. Look it up!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #797 on: October 03, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »

I noticed that picture too, and wondered why it was there. It's very possible it has to do with a final task. :tup:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #798 on: October 03, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »

OMG Slowhatch EXAACCCTLLLY. I'm happy someone saw this future task too. (because I have been drooling/hallucinating about possible tasks) :lol:

In TAR9, flags are placed on the very first clues of the leg, and then we saw it: a final task involving flags.

One thing I also speculate is the special (both were seen at roadblocks) ornate "clueholders" we have this season. I hope the trend continues:

Leg 1 - The chinese hanger below
Leg 2 - The vase stuff

Tasks are nice this season, BTW! :hearts:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #799 on: October 03, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
Final task may involve associating clue "holders" with the shape of the correct country; that might explain both of these elements for the season.
-- theschnauzers

Custom Search