Author Topic: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*  (Read 507536 times)

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*
« Reply #675 on: August 31, 2011, 09:39:32 AM »
If they are listening to criticism that people give, they could be using the Hazard as a longer version of a Speed Bump. Speed Bumps are way to short and easy there days according to many fans. Perhaps the Hazard is a long task in itself that can't be completed in a matter of 10 minutes.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #676 on: August 31, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I believe that the Speed Bump should have an average completion time of 30 minutes, which is after all the amount of time that the Marked for Elimination penalty applies most of the time. However, something got lost in its implementation and the Speed Bump appear to average more like 15 minutes. A simple solution is just to make the Speed Bumps longer, which will cause more penalized teams to be eliminated the leg in which it is applied.   

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #677 on: August 31, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »
Check out the new TAR symbol <333
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #678 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »
I Think that is a promotional thing from CBS, and not a change in the show's own graphics.

The font is identical to the one CBS has been using the last few seasons in promos, just different colors.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #679 on: August 31, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
I Think that is a promotional thing from CBS, and not a change in the show's own graphics.

The font is identical to the one CBS has been using the last few seasons in promos, just different colors.

Yeah, I guess they do tend to change their promotional things. I just like it. :lol:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #680 on: August 31, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
Phil talks about the season: http://youtu.be/S_aP3uuhtGs

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_aP3uuhtGs?version=3&amp;amp" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_aP3uuhtGs?version=3&amp;amp</a>

He says the Hazard must be completed before the first Pitstop. It is placed on the team who finishes the starting task last.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:15:03 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #681 on: August 31, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »
Check out the new TAR symbol <333

It's the Jack in the Box commercial:  drop the bag, beat the drums  :lol:

http://youtu.be/CWVnPlUCrf8?t=25s
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #682 on: September 17, 2011, 04:09:26 AM »
I just had a crazy idea and wanted to share it.

We already saw two sports cars so far in the promos, one red one silver, this could mean a task with them. Last year the task with the cars was at Leg 8 in Austria at F6, if there is again this year a task it would probably be in Europe again. 

There is a famous circuit in Belgium the circuit de Spa Francorchamps, where a Formula 1 race takes place every year, it's about 150Km from Brussels, that is about 1 hour 30min. away., so it could be a possible location.

Spa has a rich vegetation, lots of trees and when you see the cars in the promo at the back you can see lots of trees.

According to the calendar of the circuit at July 6, when we suppose TAR was in Belgium,  there is nothing official scheduled.

Of course all these is pure speculation and I might be completely mistaken.

Edit: Forget it, I found a picture of the circuit at July 6, there was car testing that day so TAR couldn't have been there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:16:32 AM by kiki »

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #683 on: September 19, 2011, 11:57:12 PM »
Okay so we've been seeing a lot of these 2012 Ford Mustangs in the promos. I believe in all previous TARs, the Ford tie-in has been for one episode only. With teams using te Ford Explorers at the startline, I think it's safe to say that te Mustangs will appear in ep1.

Now it turns out Ford actually do have a factory in Taiwan, the Ford Lio Ho. This is Ford though so they dotend to have factories everywhere. There is no mention of this plant assembling Mustangs, but as far as I can tell, there's no mention of any factory making them, so the site just may not be updated yet.

The factory doesn't appear to have a testing facility though, so where else would it be legal to perform donuts?
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/pingtung/2011/06/23/307221/1st-international-level.htm
The track won't officially open until October, but it is almost certainly already completed. Taiwan is such a small country its hard to find anywhere else that's possible!

Clutching at straws a bit here...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #684 on: September 20, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »
The only thing is that in Taipei it is very unlikely that all the teams could have done a task we did not see. ;)

SO I think that leaves the Hazard Speedbump as the only possibility...and if it is given to the team who arrives last at the first leg...then it must be done before the Pitstop in Yogyakarta.

So my guess is that it could be  a one team task done in Jogja.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:07:00 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #685 on: September 20, 2011, 12:19:49 AM »
The only thing is that in Taipei it is very unlikely that all the teams could have done a task we did not see. ;)

SO I think that leaves the Hazard as the only possibility...and if it is given to the team who arrives last at the first leg...then it must be done before the Pitstop in Yogyakarta.

So my guess is that it couldd be  a one team task done in Jogja.

Oh! I though the Hazard was given to the last teamto complete the fan task at the start line? If not, then what was the point in it, just for airline tickets?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #686 on: September 20, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »

SO I think that leaves the Hazard as the only possibility...and if it is given to the team who arrives last at the first leg...then it must be done before the Pitstop in Yogyakarta.

So my guess is that it couldd be  a one team task done in Jogja.

Oh! I though the Hazard was given to the last teamto complete the fan task at the start line? If not, then what was the point in it, just for airline tickets?

You're right about that Dom and it would be performed before the Pitstop in Taipei. Also, the Mustangs look to be in Indonesia so it could be a Speed Bump.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #687 on: September 20, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »

So my guess is that it could be  a one team task done in Jogja.

Sorry..that should have read Speedbump!  :-[

Hazard: given to team who completes Start Line task last, must be completed by Pitstop in Taipei.

Speedbump: Given to team who checks in last in Taipei, must be completed in Yogyakarta.

But I am going to backtrack anyway... ONE team could have briefly eluded us for an extra task (Hazard) in Taipei. Same in Jogja (Speedbump). We know that one team was some hours behind in Taipei...does that mean they were doing an extra task? Possibly...but by no means certain.

So the Mustangs could be one or the other...but almost certainly to be seen in EP 1 or 2.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:11:36 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #688 on: September 21, 2011, 12:17:31 AM »
I've been looking into possible locations for this Mustang task and come up with a few ideas. We see the driver wearing a helmet, implying that this is not taking place on public roads. So the private location needs to have the wide expanse where we see the white Mustang performing donuts on, and also a long straight with forest cover that we see the red Mustang speeding through.

I'm fairly certain Taiwan doesn't have a facility that fits this description, let alone even a single race circuit. We also know of quite a large number tasks, more than the average first leg, so I will be very surprised if it is Taiwan.

Looking at Indonesia, I can't find any information on any circuit other than the Sentul Circuit posted earlier. Watching a lap of this circuit, its clear that the footage doesn't fit here. Ford don't have a production plant in Indonesia, so the Mustangs would have had to have been shipped over, unless they were hired from a third party.

Looking over the circuits in Thailand, a possible fit is the Kaeng Krachan track. If you go to 1:30 on this video, the trees on the right seem like a possible match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCOpLxugCQ However, the lighting of the Mustang shot implies that there is tree cover on both sides of the track.

A notable feature of the red Mustang shot is the long grass. It is unusual to see such unkempt greenery in a top-class circuit, unless it was a huge facility. This made me look into Ford Testing Facilities. We saw teams take a ride on the Mercedes-Benz test track in Germany in Season 9, so why not again with Ford? Ford have no testing grounds in Asia, but apart from one in the UK, the only other one in Europe is in BELGIUM: The Lommel Proving Ground.

The facility itself is huge, with a large variety of tracks which are all closed to the public. As a result, there are very few videos of the track itself. Of the few there are though, they show evidence of narrow straights, undulating terrain, forest cover on both sides with very similar trees to the ones we see in the footage. In short, some parts of the Ford facility seem to be a perfect fit for the Mustang task.

We've wondered why there was virtually no sightings of the race in Belgium. The test track is quite removed from any major city, so if teams were touring the remote Belgian countryside (or maybe even the Dutch as well; the border is only a couple of miles away) for this leg, no wonder we had no info.

Still no concrete proof, but at the moment, this is my best guess..

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #689 on: September 21, 2011, 01:23:35 AM »
I think they were just showcasing a potential prize for the season, and had no connection to any leg.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #690 on: September 21, 2011, 03:47:22 AM »
Great research Domel! But I would still be surprised if something shown in the first promo was for an episode beyond the first two. Can't remember them doing that.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #691 on: September 21, 2011, 03:50:39 AM »
Great research Domel! But I would still be surprised if something shown in the first promo was for an episode beyond the first two. Can't remember them doing that.

Yeah that's my only concern. I guess the argument would be that it fits with the 'X-Treme' theme of the promo and doesn't spoil a specific location, but I suppose its unlikely!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #692 on: September 21, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »
The only reason why the source of that clip could be a later episode is that we can't see any Racers in the episode. And the fact that we're having problems pinning down a location in either Taiwan or Indonesia that fits the clips, as well as a source for the vehicles, leaves this wide open.

And the fact that they haven't done that in the previously doesn't preclude it now, especially when the clip tells us nothing about the teams or the location or even what type of task might be involved.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #693 on: September 21, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »
The only reason why the source of that clip could be a later episode is that we can't see any Racers in the episode. And the fact that we're having problems pinning down a location in either Taiwan or Indonesia that fits the clips, as well as a source for the vehicles, leaves this wide open.

And the fact that they haven't done that in the previously doesn't preclude it now, especially when the clip tells us nothing about the teams or the location or even what type of task might be involved.

That's a good point! Its an exciting clip, doesn't spoil anything and earns them big points (and dollars) with Ford. So why wouldn't they use it? Only a small minority of the audience (which includes us!) will wonder where the cars were if its not the first two legs..

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #694 on: September 21, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »
^ Europe is easier to transport the cars and most of the car tasks all these years have been located in Europe. On the other hand drifting is most popular in Asia. So if we don't see the cars in the first two episodes my next bet would be Thailand.

Imagine though, if after all this speculation the cars turn out to have no real connection to the race. That would be hilarious.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #695 on: September 21, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
^ Europe is easier to transport the cars and most of the car tasks all these years have been located in Europe. On the other hand drifting is most popular in Asia. So if we don't see the cars in the first two episodes my next bet would be Thailand.

Imagine though, if after all this speculation the cars turn out to have no real connection to the race. That would be hilarious.

That would be TERRIBLE !  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #696 on: September 21, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
Good points! Remember that "drifting" is just my spec as well...we have nothing firm, it just looked possible.

And they may even have done this clue for a later ep before, I am notoriously bad about remembering stuff like that.

And as someone said...we are WAY overloaded with yummy tasks already in ep 1 and 2...so don't know if this would even fit a Hazard or SpeedBump. Seems like safety briefings etc would take much longer than the usual 20-30 minutes alloted for those. So we may need to look closer at the tasks we have already...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #697 on: September 23, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
WP found a press release that explains the Mustang thing really well. It looks like it will be a task for leg two and the winners of that leg will receive some cars.
There are supposed to also be tasks along the way featuring Fiestas and Fusions. Lots of :lol:

A quick search found some mentions of this on some car forums as well so hopefully this will be a great cross promotion for them.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #698 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
The article I read did not mention episode 2, but "an upcoming leg," and the prize at the pit stop wasn't tied to any particular leg in the article.
I'm quite relunctant to assume that those referred to episode two when we're still not sure when the Mustangs come into play -- we have speculation, and it may be ultimately sound speculation, but I don't think we're at that point yet with what we know (as opposed to inferences). JMO, YMMV.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #699 on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
The article I read did not mention episode 2, but "an upcoming leg," and the prize at the pit stop wasn't tied to any particular leg in the article.

I agree. Upcoming leg is all we know...could be anywhere!
RFF's Golden Rule: