Author Topic: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**  (Read 80214 times)

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
I think this is for TAR 19, I think Phuket was planned, dunno between Thailand and Malawi though.

I would agree so the leg that was cancelled at the last second likely was an African leg, perhaps Kenya because that is where the early rumors had them going?
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Online dryedmangoez

• RFF Sr. Member
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
The way Phil talks about "in one day the whole world turned upside down" makes it seem like it was some conflict or one of the uprisings in the Middle East.  What big events happened in June?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »
Take your pick -- Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, UAE, Morocco -- Kenya also had problems, and IIRC, Nigeria was having a contentious presidential election right about then.

My earlier comment about Phuket was to raise the question as to whether the way we learned about that locale might have meant it was a switch at the last minute (but one that was on stand-by). I wasn't trying to be definiteive, just asking the question -- same as my first paragraph in this post.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
I think we might be looking at the last week of June....
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2011, 05:45:43 PM »
Take your pick -- Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, UAE, Morocco -- Kenya also had problems, and IIRC, Nigeria was having a contentious presidential election right about then.

Surely they had not planned a stop in Eygpt, Tunisia or Syria. Those countries had been in a state of chaos for months if not longer.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
The way Phil talks about "in one day the whole world turned upside down" makes it seem like it was some conflict or one of the uprisings in the Middle East.  What big events happened in June?
Why would events in the Middle East impact on an Amazing Race 19 route that apparently did not get within many thousands of miles of the Middle East? I'm not seeing how that could be related to a gap between Thailand and Malawi and/or Kenya.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »
We are trying to guess at what event Phil might have been referring to that would have caused a last minute change in the Race during filming.

It's is within the realm of possibility that TPTB had planned a leg in the Middle East or north Africa on the way to southern Africa.

The Egyptian revolution had been several months in the past by the time filming the Race had gotten underway; same thing for Tunisia (although the trick there would have been avoiding NATO's no fly zone over Libya) and Syria would have been a possibility earlier int he spring as nothing had broken out there in the spring.

Some of the UAE states did have protests going on, and I'd have to find a site with world news headlines from that late June time frame to see what other places might have fit the bill. Let's not rule things out so quickly, because an event happening that would make filming difficult is what we're looking for.

As to south Asia (India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan) I can't think of anything that was happening right at that time but I do need something to look at to refresh my memory.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:53:29 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2011, 08:57:11 PM »
In Nepal around that time was protests about Tibet that got violent. (Remember the early Nepal rumors, maybe teams were going there and it was cancelled due to the said reason.

I think we could rule out Pakistan. Sri Lanka had a huge contingent of media there for 2018 Commonwealth Games evaluation committee, so maybe they decided they didn't want to be spotted?  :lol: :snicker:

India/Bangladesh were visited pretty recently so I have a feeling it wasn't them either.

As for North Africa/Middle East maybe Jordan which has had random violence through the last year.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2011, 11:40:30 PM »
In Nepal around that time was protests about Tibet that got violent. (Remember the early Nepal rumors, maybe teams were going there and it was cancelled due to the said reason.

I think we could rule out Pakistan. Sri Lanka had a huge contingent of media there for 2018 Commonwealth Games evaluation committee, so maybe they decided they didn't want to be spotted?  :lol: :snicker:

India/Bangladesh were visited pretty recently so I have a feeling it wasn't them either.

As for North Africa/Middle East maybe Jordan which has had random violence through the last year.

My money is on Nepal if the dates between their protests and the race lineup. I have read interviews in which Phil has stated that it is the country that they haven't gotten to yet that he most wants to get to. I think we can rule out the others mentioned due to recent races (Bangladesh and India) and security concerns (no way they go to Pakistan).

One thing to note though, unless I'm reading this wrong, perhaps something else happened that caused a needed change in course. Maybe horrible weather cancelled flights into a place or there was something else less newsworthy than a natural disaster or political upheaval that still caused travel chaos. If that's the case, we may not know for a while what occurred.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2011, 03:35:54 AM »
It's definitely TAR19 he's talking about -- he mentions "this last season that we just shot" (or words to that effect), and the interview took place earlier this month, it seems.

My money is on Nepal if the dates between their protests and the race lineup. I have read interviews in which Phil has stated that it is the country that they haven't gotten to yet that he most wants to get to. I think we can rule out the others mentioned due to recent races (Bangladesh and India) and security concerns (no way they go to Pakistan).

Yeah, because they've never visited India in back-to-back seasons before.  :groan:  :lol3:

Pakistan *probably* wouldn't have been visited anyway, but if it was that general region that was changed could the big news have been Osama's death? I know it was at the start of May but it seems likely they'd have been planning the season at that point.

The middle of June also had the Chilean ash cloud affecting air travel in and throughout Australia as well, though that's also not likely -- but it would have been the likely connecting point between Indonesia and South Africa, so maybe the Phuket leg was planned to get them up closer to the Bangkok/Singapore/Hong Kong area, instead of having half the teams get stuck in Sydney and Melbourne?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:44:30 AM by tarflyonthewall »

Online kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2011, 03:56:08 AM »
It's highly unlikely, but could it have been Greece? We did have some big rallies and protests at the end of June.
I can't really remember any major event in the world at that time. It couldn't have been Middle East because the biggest unrest there was in the winter-spring.
Joab's TARA- Kiki & Co-racer. Hitting the BlackJack tables in Macau
Redwing's TAR Kiki & Tian 1-2 424HNL

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:07 AM »
It's definitely TAR19 he's talking about -- he mentions "this last season that we just shot" (or words to that effect), and the interview took place earlier this month, it seems.

The middle of June also had the Chilean ash cloud affecting air travel in and throughout Australia as well, though that's also not likely -- but it would have been the likely connecting point between Indonesia and South Africa, so maybe the Phuket leg was planned to get them up closer to the Bangkok/Singapore/Hong Kong area, instead of having half the teams get stuck in Sydney and Melbourne?

If they were stuck in Australia we would have tweets coming from left, right and centre. I think it might be the Middle East or another part of Africa.

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
We are looking for something between Thailand and Malawi. Europe/East Asia/Oceania can be ruled out.

Nepal is a strong possibility (but that would mean five new countries they wanted to visit which would buck the trend of visiting 1-2 new countries for the last few seasons.

Could the cancelled leg have been replaced by a quick Phuket leg? Phuket is well known by producers so that was possibly their backup choice.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
I am pretty sure based on info from Indonesia that Phuket was scheduled.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »
I did find it funny they skipped right over India, seeing as they love using it. Bin Laden's death may very well have made them stay away from the vacinity around Pakistan which includes India. The event didn't have to happen right when the race was about to depart to the aborted location.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
They actually have skipped India in the summer filming several times as it is the rainy season there.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »
Hmmm...perhaps just before June 23. Thanks WP!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:45 PM »
Here's a site that complies world news headlines that can be checked by date.

Here's the link for June 23rd:
http://rwfracingsite.net/RamrodsWorld/2011/06/23/world-headlines-6232011/

The one that I noticed was that Michele Obama, her mother, and her daughters were on a tour in South Africa; and as I recall, they were then going to be headed to a safari.

If TAR had planned to be in the same area, there might have been security issues that forced a change in plans.....and that would fit in with what we've been trying to find, right?

In any event this can help check the dates immediate before and after the 23rd of June.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Missing Apskip :(
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »

Signs of the trouble appear in this news article in The Himalayan.  You can pin the date and time of the spark at Wednesday evening on the 22nd of June.  The news report went out the next day at 11:48 pm on the 23rd.  That would probably be when production learned about it and had to make a decision to forgo the 'cold climate'  leg for season 19.  Not a decision to be made lightly!  (:;)  At the time of the news release we have that Teams were in probably still in their Pit Stop preceding the leg that ended in Borobudur.

12 Free Tibet activists in police net

Added At:  2011-06-23 11:48 PM   Last Updated At: 2011-06-23 11:48 PM

KATHMANDU: Police last night intervened in a Tibetan exiles’ condolence meeting in Bouddha and rounded up 12 Free Tibet activists. The crackdown came when the exiles were holding a candlelight vigil on the Bouddhanath Stupa premises to wish for eternal peace to Phuntsok (21) and protest the Chinese excesses.

The Buddhist monk had immolated himself near the Kirti monastery in Amdho, eastern Tibet, on March 16 in protest of the Chinese rule in Tibet. The incident sparked a wave of protests in Tibet, prompting the Chinese military to crack down on Free Tibet activists.

Those detained in yesterday’s crackdown are Lopsang Sherpa, Wangdi Gurung, Gato, Yote Lama, Tenzing Lama, Thendup Chhiring, Thumten Ghyamchho, Gyalchhen, Dorjee Chhiring, Rabygyal, Tenzing Phinchow and Dorjee Lama. Of them, Wangdi and Thendup are Nepalis.

image from 2009 protests BBC News

My speculation is that, for lack of a better plan, the Phuket leg was turned into a double leg with the second leg happening within Thailand in general. 
Documenting her Race Around the World:  Wild Eyes
Our children, what are they going to amount to?

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #194 on: August 20, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »
I found these news that could have effected TAR route

- More than two million people are reported to have been displaced or otherwise affected by flooding in the Chinese province of Zhejiang. (19th of June)
- The fourth tropical storm of the 2011 Pacific typhoon season, Tropical Storm Haima (Egay), makes landfall in southern Guangdong Province in the People's Republic of China. (23rd of June)
- An 'unprecedented' flash flood hits Beijing, leaving streets and many areas including Tiananmen Square and the Beijing Subway system underwater. (23rd of June)
- Three explosions hit the Myanmar cities of Naypyidaw, Mandalay and Pyin U Lwin (24th of June, but highly unlikely they were going to travel in Myanmar anyways  :lol: )
- At least 10 people are killed in clashes in northern Kenya amid a severe drought affecting East Africa. (25th of June)

And then of course all the Arab Uprising news but the uprisings were already on before TAR started to film.

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
I would have loved to see Nepal on this season. It ooks like the favourite for the "missing leg".

Is there any way of checking flights that would have left Kathmandu and arriving in Malawi around the time teams were spotted in Malawi? The safari was expecting teams on a specific day, and if the flights from Kathmandu arrive on the same day then maybe it was Nepal.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Missing Apskip :(
« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
I would have loved to see Nepal on this season. It ooks like the favourite for the "missing leg".

Is there any way of checking flights that would have left Kathmandu and arriving in Malawi around the time teams were spotted in Malawi? The safari was expecting teams on a specific day, and if the flights from Kathmandu arrive on the same day then maybe it was Nepal.

Already done:

Here's my stab at Phuket to Johannesburg:
  • We assume they complete the Phuket leg at 1:00 pm on Saturday the 25th. 
  • We assume that they are standing in JNB airport at 9:00 am on Thursday the 30th.
Naturally they will want to go to the mountains of Nepal after the Beaches of Phuket.  Right?  Make sense to me!   :lol:

Here is a quick way to get to Kathmandu, Nepal on Sunday the 26th: (takes 6 hours and 15 min)
TG 226 leaves HKT at 7:25 am and arrives BKK at 8:50 am
TG 319 leaves BKK at 10:15 am and arrives KTM at 12:25 pm

Teams spend the next 72 hours racing and resting and racing and waiting (one leg) and are standing at Kathmandu airport at 12:25 pm on Wednesday the 29th.

Here is a quick way to get to Johannesburg by 9:00 am on Thursday the 30th:  (takes 20 hours and 15 min)
TG 320 leaves KTM at 1:30 pm and arrives BKK at 6:15 pm
MH 781 leaves BKK at 7:40 pm and arrives KUL at 10:50 pm
MH 203 leaves KUL at 1:20 am and arrives JNB at 6:00 am on the 30th

You can substitute SIN for KUL in getting to JNB and still make this happen.
Documenting her Race Around the World:  Wild Eyes
Our children, what are they going to amount to?

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2011, 11:11:08 PM »
I know Australia wasn't going to be visited as part of the route, but it seems plausible they could have been expecting teams to connect there while flying from south-east Asia to southern Africa.

Alternately, given that in the past they've tended to move the scheduled legs forward in order to give themselves time to organise things properly (TAR2 moving from Argentina Leg 3 to New Zealand Leg 10; TAR5 moving from Istanbul Leg 5 to Dubai Leg 8; TAR8 moving from Belize Leg 7 to Montreal Leg 12, with additional backtracking around Utah to get additional time to do it right), I'd think we've identified the right time period/region for where the original leg was supposed to take place but the replacement leg may not have turned up until right near the end of the season.

I'd say our route was originally something like this:

Leg 1: LA - Taiwan
Leg 2: Taiwan - Indonesia
Leg 3: Indonesia
Leg 4: Indonesia - Thailand
Leg 5: Thailand - Nepal
Leg 6: Nepal - Malawi
Leg 7: Malawi
Leg 8: Malawi - Kenya
Leg 9: Kenya - Denmark
Leg 10: Demnark - Belgium
Leg 11: Belgium - Panama
Leg 12: Panama - Atlanta

But with the Nepal issues, we may get something like this instead

Leg 1: LA - Taiwan
Leg 2: Taiwan - Indonesia
Leg 3: Indonesia
Leg 4: Indonesia - Thailand
Leg 5: Thailand - Malawi
Leg 6: Malawi
Leg 7: Malawi - Kenya
Leg 8: Kenya - Denmark
Leg 9: Denmark
Leg 10: Demnark - Belgium
Leg 11: Belgium - Panama
Leg 12: Panama - Atlanta

I realise Denmark's probably the most expensive location on the new route this season (although taking the full cast to Taiwan and the logistics of getting to Malawi make it debatable), but there was a fairly decent-sized gap between the Malawi/Kenya spoilers and the remours of Belgium, which makes the replacement likely to have been in Europe somewhere. And if the show's in budget mode it makes sense that they'd just make a second leg for a country they're already headed to rather than scout an extra location on short notice then pay to fly the teams and crews in and out. The other option is land travel from Denmark to Belgium via Germany, but since we got the other three Germanic nations last season it's not likely.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
I think it is unlikely the show would have doubled up legs in a country that was planned for one leg. Among other things, TPTB, from what I have understood, have back-up legs planned so if a leg is needed, they can take those plans off the shelf, have the local producers gear up and get the local crews and casting in place. It's one reason why Bert and Elise and company travel ahead of Phil and the teams.

I haven't figured out exactly hoe production at that level travels (I suspect two of the executive and supervising producers leap frog the legs during filming) but this is the reason why they have to travel with the show as filming proceeds.

And I'm under the impression that Kenya has not been established as a location this season.

We may have to wait until CBS releases pre-season publicity or the episodes air.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57:34 PM »
Sadly, There was no Kenya this season, except as a transit airport.

Nepal looks like a likely missed leg, darn it all.

Custom Search