Author Topic: TARAus 1 Episode 4 (South Africa) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 42179 times)

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARAus 1 Episode 4 (South Africa) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »
The HOO by itself didn't bother me.  The problem that I had was that there were also 2 other bunching points with flights.

I daresay the leg was planned with a lot of bunching so that Richard and Joey couldn't skip away thanks to the Fast Forward and claim this leg uncontested as well.

And so that the U-Turn wouldn't determine fate perhaps?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
The HOO by itself didn't bother me.  The problem that I had was that there were also 2 other bunching points with flights.

I daresay the leg was planned with a lot of bunching so that Richard and Joey couldn't skip away thanks to the Fast Forward and claim this leg uncontested as well.

They could have survived the U-Turn had they not been stuck in the mud and got a bad goat
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
As some sages occasionally have to say "nevermind" (a quotation from Emily Litella on Saturday Night Live). This one got screwed up, so see my next one.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:35:14 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
Richard & Joey wouldn't have been the first team to survive a U-turn. Dimple & Sunaina did in Amazing Race Asia 4.

Anastasia & Chris- The girl doesn't do anything and the guy has a temper. Never had a team like this before

Disagree with you. I've seen Mai & Oliver on The Amazing Race Asia 3. Mai seems to expect Oliver to carry her around, and Oliver lost his temper at Mai early on...

And Flight Time & Big Easy survived a U-turn in TAR 18, they were U-turned by Jamie & Cara in the second W-turn. 

I don't count Double U-Turns for that record because there are 2 teams getting done. One of them has to survive it, that's just math.

My math is from a little different perspective. A Double U-Turn if actually implemented fully can involve either 3 teams or 4 teams. A minimum of one (two if you count the teams activating the U-Turns) does have to survive, but in fact all 4 teams can survive if they do not finish the leg in last place of an elimination leg.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
Richard & Joey wouldn't have been the first team to survive a U-turn. Dimple & Sunaina did in Amazing Race Asia 4.

And Flight Time & Big Easy survived a U-turn in TAR 18, they were U-turned by Jamie & Cara in the second W-turn. 

I don't count Double U-Turns for that record because there are 2 teams getting done. One of them has to survive it, that's just math.

My math is from a little different perspective. A Double U-Turn if actually implemented fully can involve either 3 teams or 4 teams. A minimum of one (two if you count the teams activating the U-Turns) does have to survive, but in fact all 4 teams can survive if they do not finish the leg in last place of an elimination leg.

I don't really understand how that logic is an argument against Coutzy's statement. You just backed up the truth that one has to survive and stated the obvious that both could.

I don't count W-turns towards that statistic either.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2011, 03:16:10 AM »

There was no bunching after the U-Turn. In fact, the first-come-first-served nature of the bungy was as far from bunching as you could have gotten.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2011, 06:22:36 AM »
tarflyonthewall,

You are basically right due to the fact that the bungee ROADBLOCK takes enough time to guarantee spacing between teams after they complete it. There were few changes in the order of teams from Bloukrans Bridge to Nomathangsanga to the Addo Elephant Park. However, if the tasks after the ROADBLOCK were more variable in their outcomes, it wouldn't have been the case.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2011, 11:37:58 AM »
Omg. I just watched this leg and it gets better and better.

Can't believe that Richard and Joey were eliminated! I admit that the U-TURN had a big part to do to their elimination. But don't forget that they spent a huge amount of time getting their car out as well as bickering with each other. I would have wished they stayed on (even though I don't like them and the 8th place team is a useless team)

I just love the teams on TAR Australia! They're so fun and interesting! We have nice and interesting teams like Matt and Tom, Luke and David, Kelly and Dave.. and is it just me or is Alana and Mel getting loads of edit these few episodes? Sam and Ranae are okay, Tyler and Nathan... (acceptable and they were appreciative of the surroundings this leg so that's a plus point for them for me this leg) and the only team that is making the race really boring is... Mo and Mos. I mean, they're the underdogs. But if they win.. I think it will be a shocker to anyone. Chris and Anastasia = :meow: but at least they're interesting.. in some ways.

The Detour was really cool.. would have wished for a better task than building a giraffe feeder. Maybe they have to get a giraffe to eat from it to add some interactive aspect to it.. but aww well, you can't have everything.

Leading the goat to the witch doctor =  :tup: :tup: :tup: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Adds to the funny aspect as well as the animal aspect AND it also shift up (just) a few position here and there. Rather than Roadblock then straight to the pitstop, we have another task and I'm not complaining.

Loving TAR Australia and I can't believe I'm in love with so many teams! <33333333