Author Topic: The Amazing Race 19 pre-Race Speculation  (Read 41655 times)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 19 pre-Race Speculation
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 10:50:35 AM »
I'm leaving in a couple of weeks to go travelling to a number of countries in south-east Asia over the next couple of months.. I'll keep my eyes open, but what are the odds of stumbling across the race?!

Good question - what are the odds?

I started counting the number of times airports have been visited by TAR - but the project became too huge.
In the last 6 TARs (TAR 13 to 18) there have been 60 different airports visited (that's not including connecting flight stopovers).
In my limited sampling, the most frequently used is LAX at 6, followed by Narita at 4.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
I could see them doing a leg in southern Africa. Maybe not South Africa specifically, but since it's only the northern countries that are affected at the moment it's very plausible South Africa or Namibia or Malawi or something could turn up.

If they do go to South America, I'd hope for Paraguay (the only non-Caribbean-bordering country still yet to appear), but with Brazil in TAR18 I think Argentina's most likely.

Europe? Hmmm. PIIGS are out since the governments won't spend money bringing the show to them, and we've seen most of the remaining western Europe countries in the past four seasons (by my count only Belgium, Denmark, and the micronations are left), so I'd expect an eastern European country, if any. Probably a new one, since no eastern European countries have been repeated yet (assuming you count Austria as "western"), and hopefully a Balkan state. Serbia's plausible, as is Albania, or maybe even Bulgaria.

Asia's harder. Since Family Edition, either China or Japan has been done in every race except 13, but 18 was the first to have them both, so maybe we might skip them this time? But it's hard to find any regions they haven't hit recently. Kazakhstan was apparently a real pain the first time, so I don't think we're going back or to any other country nearby (all with even worse infrastructure, and some not safe for women in particular). The Middle East is especially Not Safe Right Now, and we've done India and the neighbouring countries twice in the past two seasons, so they're most likely out. South-East Asia's a mainstay, but aside from three new countries (Indonesia, Laos, and Brunei), they've all been done in the past 5 seasons.

In summary, I suspect we'll get about 8 or 9 countries, probably containing at least one Central/South American country (probably Argentina and one other); South Africa (and possibly a country nearby); at least one country that was part of Yugoslavia; at least one of Thailand/Indonesia/Laos/Philippines, probably two; and a North American country.

I like the analysis above and pretty much agree with tarflyonthewall's conclusions.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't Poke the Bear
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
How about Morocco? The races that take place in May/June/July typically go to Northern Africa, but with Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya all in limbo right now, maybe a return to Morocco is in order? They haven't been there since season 10, and they still have not been to the capital of Rabat. They could even go to the territory of Gibraltar next. (Roadblock at the Rock of Gibraltar?)

As for Europe, I know they just went to the UK in TAR17, but the other UK nations like Northern Ireland, Wales, and most of Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh) have been completely unexplored. I wouldn't be surprised to see the race take a trip there this season.

I think, since the race just went west last season, that TAR19 will be another eastbound race, so I would peg Seattle as a potential Finish Line. It's probably one of the only major cities on the west coast that hasn't played host to the race in a while (Finish Line in TAR3, Starting Line in TAR10).

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
  • I'm never going back! The past is in the past!
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
With season 19 airing about 10 years after the show first premiered on CBS, a NYC start in Central Park would really be nice. And have them visit Ground Zero, kind of like what they did with the Slave House in season 6, before really taking off in the race.

But we all know, deep down, that it will start in the LA area once again. I'm guessing the first leg staying within North America is not going to happen, since it may still be a reminder of Family Edition, as I've noticed Central America, the Caribbean, and Canada have been ignored since then. And in the case of Canada, it's a bit surprising that it has only been visited twice overall (and only once in the regular format), considering it's the 2nd largest country in the world.

Also, it will be interesting to see which cities they will revisit, which I'm guessing, will be ones that have not been there since the first All-Stars, and will probably have 2 legs in that place.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 12:38:19 PM »
How about Morocco? The races that take place in May/June/July typically go to Northern Africa, but with Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya all in limbo right now, maybe a return to Morocco is in order? They haven't been there since season 10, and they still have not been to the capital of Rabat. They could even go to the territory of Gibraltar next. (Roadblock at the Rock of Gibraltar?)

As for Europe, I know they just went to the UK in TAR17, but the other UK nations like Northern Ireland, Wales, and most of Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh) have been completely unexplored. I wouldn't be surprised to see the race take a trip there this season.

I think, since the race just went west last season, that TAR19 will be another eastbound race, so I would peg Seattle as a potential Finish Line. It's probably one of the only major cities on the west coast that hasn't played host to the race in a while (Finish Line in TAR3, Starting Line in TAR10).

I agree on it being eastbound, I like the eastbound races better anyway. For Seattle maybe they could hit Gas Works Park again. :lol:

For going to Europe how about taking a break from the typical and try Spain, Hungary, or Greece, etc. These have been ignored as of late for whatever reason. Scotland would be great too.

This would be a good time to visit Morocco since it is in its rainy season during the other filming period. I would be surprised to see China or India again for this same reason. Perhaps they will try some alternate Asian regions.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »
I think that we will see at least one big city visited. I just don't see this race being a little city in little country race. It could be but I suspect that we see some of the most visited places on this show like Germany, Russia, China, India, Japan. I hope we see South Africa this upcoming race.

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »
I think Morocco is out of the question, protests and a bombing recently. A new country has been visited each time out. The only likely ones I can think of are Paraguay or Denmark that will be visited this time around.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • US Winter Olympic Team - Sochi 2014 - Go America!
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »
I hope that they will finally come to Serbia.
This is great country, specially in summer, and there is a lot of great places to visit.

I hope they do, too! I am Serbian!
"I've heard her called a quitter for leaving, an aimless wanderer. But not all who wander are aimless. Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition; beyond definition; beyond the image." ― Mona Lisa Smile

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
Small European countries! :jam:

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
I hope that they will finally come to Serbia.
This is great country, specially in summer, and there is a lot of great places to visit.

I hope they do, too! I am Serbian!

Serbia is way overdue. I am guessing, because it is in eastern Europe (racers leave to another continent after eastern europe) there are not many other connections to the rest of the continents.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Parovic

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2011, 06:39:29 AM »
Here are my suggestions:

For Asia:
South Korea ,Brunei, Sri Lanka or maybe Maldives will be done in the next few seasons.Laos,Nepal and Bhutan,I want TAR to go there but there are some political reasons behind.For Phillipines ,after several hostages crises ,TAR won't go there.As I am from HK ,i do wanna TAR to visit there,but no more China,India and Thailand.For middle east,UAE ,Kuwait and Oman are the possible locations.

For Africa:
I prefer they go to Mali,Malawi,Cape Verde.The northern,southern-west part in africa all are in limbo now.

For Europe:
Denmark,Belgium,Monaco are the possible locations.For the eastern europe ,Hungary and Romania and also Moldova are the possible Locations.Recalling my memory, i only know that Northern Ireland,
Cyprus,Belarus and (Serbia)Kosovo are in the most unstable situations now.

For Americas:
More Carribeans Countries! My uncle says that Kidnapping,Drugs case are usually happening in Colombia,Venezuela and Mexico.It leaves Guyana and Paraguay are the possible countries that TAR should go.

For Oceania:
Don't just go to Australia and NZ!Go to Fiji,Vanuatu or Cook Islands,Easter Islands even Tahiti.It will be more attractive.

For the filming dates,I think it will start in Early June.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »

Cyprus,Belarus and (Serbia)Kosovo are in the most unstable situations now.

Just a correction. there is nothing unstable in Cyprus right now, on the contrary  there is a strong economy and a lot of tourism. Also Kosovo is no longer part of Serbia and there is nothing wrong in going to Belgrade (the capital) or even in the neighbour country of Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Joab's TARA- Kiki & Co-racer. Hitting the BlackJack tables in Macau
Redwing's TAR Kiki & Tian 1-2 424HNL

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2011, 09:31:56 AM »
Perhaps Greece should take note of what Cyprus is doing right.  :lol:

I think the whole instability thing is being a little over-exaggerated here. It's not like the Race ever goes to Tunisia, Syria, Jordan, Libya, etc. anyway.
I would love to see them go to Israel and there are several other middle eastern options that are not dangerous at the moment.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
I think Morocco is out of the question, protests and a bombing recently. A new country has been visited each time out. The only likely ones I can think of are Paraguay or Denmark that will be visited this time around.

Remember we still also have: Latvia, Belgium, Luxembourg, Andorra, Monaco, Malta, Vatican City, San Marino, Slovenia, Serbia, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Bahamas, the Lesser Antilles island nations, Dominican Republic, Greenland, Trinidad, Nicaragua, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Colombia, Cape Verde, Sao Tome, Sierra Leone, Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Gabon, Republic of the Congo, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Rwanda, Lesotho, Swaziland, Angola, Reunion, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Bhutan, Maldives, Brunei, Palau, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Samoa, Fiji, and American Samoa. There are plenty of countries left not have been visited.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »
I wouldn't rule out Morocco.

Expedition Impossible just filmed there, one of the Model shows was filming there, seems like a possibility.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »
I wouldn't rule out Morocco.

Expedition Impossible just filmed there, one of the Model shows was filming there, seems like a possibility.

Peach is this a hint? :lol:
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 03:09:49 AM »
It is an opinion.

sigh.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 09:05:06 AM »
Your predictions seem to come true most of the time.  Then again... :-[
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline mariamindy

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I'm batman!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »
I also wonder if The Holy City might be one of the new locations visited this season?

I was thinking about this, as well... Phil said in an interview that people would be surprised with where they are going this time.

And I know that there are some Muslim countries will turn you away if your passport has a stamp from Israel in it... The deadline for applications for this season was very early January, so that would give the producers enough time to choose the cast and have them apply for a second passport, just in case.

(Obviously, this is all speculation... :))

As far as I know, you are allowed to have ONE passport per country you are a resident of.
Meaning, some people may have two or more passports  because they have double or triple nationalities, but you are entitled to one passport per country.

The only reason that allows you to use 2 at the same time is visa issues: you can have a stamped visa in your passport, then that passport expires and you have to get a new one, but are not obligated to get a visa stamped on that one. You just carry both of them and show them at migration booths.

On a personal note, I don't think they'll risk it.
mm!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
It should be interesting to see how travel patterns are affected to Europe since there is another Icelandic volcano issue.

And this is supposed to be the filming period where the Race goes to northern Europe and Asia so it could get interesting.
Suppose the Race was going to begin in a few weeks (don't freak out people) and the first destination was in Europe, like we often see in the eastbound spring/summer races.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »

And this is supposed to be the filming period where the Race goes to northern Europe and Asia so it could get interesting.

Source for your info? If you are speculating, please be clear as I do NOT want to see a lot of spec quoted all over as "RFF says". Thanks.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
I was simply saying that this is the typical pattern. It's probably because of weather and climate issues mostly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:56:18 AM by Prophet »

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
  • I'm never going back! The past is in the past!
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »
I always have to remember, they can't visit a new country just for the sake of visiting a new country, although it would be nice.  :)

That being said, I think either Slovenia or Slovakia will be visited. It would be even cooler if they made it some kind of riddle that teams have to figure out, and see how many of them would actually get that right, as people tend to get those countries mixed up. As Rick Steves would call it... Slo-what-ia?

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »
I always have to remember, they can't visit a new country just for the sake of visiting a new country, although it would be nice.  :)

That being said, I think either Slovenia or Slovakia will be visited. It would be even cooler if they made it some kind of riddle that teams have to figure out, and see how many of them would actually get that right, as people tend to get those countries mixed up. As Rick Steves would call it... Slo-what-ia?

Probably not this time out. Slovakia and Slovenia are really close to Austria.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
As far as I know, you are allowed to have ONE passport per country you are a resident of.

Not quite. I know for a fact that at least in Sweden you can get multiple passports (I think up to 4 or 5) if you need them.

Valid reasons include traveling to countries who don't like each other's stamps (Israel and most Arab states if I remember correctly), and the fact that you may need a passport while another visa is being issued.

But this is for Sweden, I do not know which rules applies in the USA.

And now back to the race discussions.

Custom Search