Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Author Topic: The Amazing Race 19 pre-Race Speculation  (Read 43014 times)

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 19 pre-Race Speculation
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2011, 12:17:56 AM »
Just hurt here on the national tv,that Brazil is the first country to re-take the flights to Argentina and Uruguay, Chile is still a destination impossible.A connecting flight to this locations it's now a valid option for the route.

Still don't believe it. I can't see the national news announcing it as these are usually kept as close to private as possible.

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2011, 12:39:01 AM »
He mean't the flights being redirected from Argentina and Uruguay, not the race I believe. :groan:
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2011, 12:46:34 AM »
He mean't the flights being redirected from Argentina and Uruguay, not the race I believe. :groan:

Yeah, I should probably read before I post.  :lol:

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2011, 12:57:14 AM »
kenchan:
You have some good thoughts above. The most typical starting day of the week for an amazing Race start is Saturday. <SNIP>
You are correct, the most common start day is Saturday.
Just noticed that we've never had a race start in June.
Hope this isn't too wide to read...

Wow WP, that's a really nice chart! (I'm a sucker for spreadsheets too). I guess it would be interesting to juxtapose the day of week when the teams arrived at the first destination city. In some cases, there's an artificial overnight stay, like in the case of TAR15, when they went to Tokyo but stayed overnight before they went to the studios for that silly TV game show.

「超たのしい~!♪」
-Tyler McNiven riding a fold-up bike in the night streets of Tokyo, TAR9

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2011, 01:07:25 AM »
Las Vegas is in Pacific Time not Mountain Time.  Also Other hub cities like San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Detroit, Washington-Dulles, Philadelphia, and Houston (United-Continental) are left out in the dark.  Smaller hub cities like Portland, Orlando, Tampa, Cleveland, Cincinnati, San Diego, Honolulu, Washington-National, Indianapolis, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, New Orleans, and Anchorage are also possible places to start the race as for airport wise.  But I really like to see the Starting Line in San Juan, Puerto Rico with the first leg somewhere in the Caribbean like the Lesser Antilles island nations.

Ah, you're right. Las Vegas is indeed in PST/PDT. Thanks for the correction.

Some of those hub cities were actually end cities, such as SFO, PHX, PDX, HNL

So what makes for an ideal starting location then?  There has to be some other factors, such how well the production staff has worked with the local authorities and tourism offices. After all, every place TAR visits gets showcased nicely, usually with intriguing aerial views involved.
「超たのしい~!♪」

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Golden Ball.
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2011, 10:52:55 AM »
São Paulo have made the first flight to Montevideo today,because Santos (a soccer team famous here) will play the game of their life against Peņarol (another soccer team) it's the final of the Libertadores (most famous and important soccer competition on latino america)
"I don't drink. But when i do , i become another person. And that one , drinks a lot."

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
FYI - Air Canada customer service is on strike right now. Its being run by management right now with few delays, but if it drags on much longer crossing picket lines could be an issue.

The federal government is threatening to order them back to work, but that would be very unpopular.
Until then - its bedlam at most Canadian airports - long lines at ticket counters and cancelled flights - so situation normal.  :lol:
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »
Would whoever started that poll please remove it immediately? There is a glitch that makes polls impossible to remove after so many posts and we don't want to be looking at this forever.

Thanks!

In general, no polls in our group threads, you can use them in yur own threads if need be.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
Would whoever started that poll please remove it immediately? There is a glitch that makes polls impossible to remove after so many posts and we don't want to be looking at this forever.

Thanks!

In general, no polls in our group threads, you can use them in yur own threads if need be.
Sorry wan't aware of the glitch. I have removed it. :)
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Golden Ball.
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2011, 04:02:21 PM »
More ash on Argentina. Uruguay it's a possible destiny now,but Argentina no
"I don't drink. But when i do , i become another person. And that one , drinks a lot."

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
kenchan,

I want to add one thing I forgot in my post #141 (which contained your prior post within it). A third reason for picking an international airport is due to the HQ of World Race Productions being near it, which is true only for LAX. This allows a minimum of transportation in getting staff to flights to the first leg city and may also be an advantage in minimizing the transportation of the teams.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Bring on TAR25
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
I'm actually sick at the moment, with our Winter in New Zealand at the present. Because of this, I am finding it even more long-winded in waiting for the race to start. It is 16th June now, and I am really hopeful it starts A.S.A.P because this is agonizing!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams' - 'To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »
Another good reason why they have almost always started on a Friday Saturday Sunday or Monday is that the participants have to have taken vacation time from work so starting in the middle of the week would be impractical.

I was thinking about this... There's the lock down phase, starting several days before the start, so the racers will have already taken time off from their usual lives. I remember from Harry Smith running the first leg in TAR6, that the lock down phase is (was?) 3 days. That would mean, if the race is to start on Saturday, the racers would  have to be in Start city at least by Wednesday, perhaps earlier. So the time off theory probably isn't a primary reason behind the Saturday starts.
「超たのしい~!♪」

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
kenchan,

I want to add one thing I forgot in my post #141 (which contained your prior post within it). A third reason for picking an international airport is due to the HQ of World Race Productions being near it, which is true only for LAX. This allows a minimum of transportation in getting staff to flights to the first leg city and may also be an advantage in minimizing the transportation of the teams.

Yep, I am sure that is a very important factor.
「超たのしい~!♪」

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Golden Ball.
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
Kiwi Jay
I'm sorry you're sick, get well soon!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #myeyeseverytimewhenireadyourposts
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2011, 12:09:26 PM »
I came in to say I feel it will be a race heavy on Asia, Middle East, Africa and New Zealand again due to the volcanic ash...

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • HATES prediction rounds.
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »
What's the consensus on race direction? Do you think they're traveling in an east to west direction (since they went west last season)?

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »
Either direction is viable at this point. New Zealand/Asia is the the west and Europe is to the east.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
Either direction is viable at this point. New Zealand/Asia is the the west and Europe is to the east.

:lol:

I would have said east because it is more common and it does not seem likely for two westward bound in a row. But then again...
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #169 on: June 16, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »
My dad is going to Peru next week for his job and I wonder if he will see any teams if the race began this weekend like on Sunday if the race was to begin that day; he is flying through SFO and IAH from my hometown airport PDX this coming Sunday.

Offline Kelsey_x

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #170 on: June 16, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
A former racer posted
"I just saw a new bunch of Amazing Racers running through here at LAX!"
at ~5:27 EST. I don't know if they are joking but it is a start.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Bring on TAR25
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »
Have also come across this post on Facebook...posted via Iphone, could this be true?...
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams' - 'To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
A former racer posted

I don't see any mention of it on twitter in the last couple of hours. I can't rule it out though.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Bring on TAR25
« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »
A former racer posted

I don't see any mention of it on twitter in the last couple of hours. I can't rule it out though.

Posted on Facebook by a former racer, Plaidmoon

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »
A former racer posted

Posted on Facebook by a former racer, Plaidmoon

I understood that. I just figured if TAR 19 was running through LAX, other people would have seen them and been tweeting about it. I'd want to see a few other mentions of it before I get too excited about it.  The fact that it's from a former racer does lend it some authority. Which racer is it (if you feel comfortable saying who it is)? I'm not sure of the board rules about that.

Custom Search