Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Author Topic: The Amazing Race 19 pre-Race Speculation  (Read 42927 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: The Amazing Race 19 pre-Race Speculation
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2011, 05:09:51 PM »
:welcome: to RFF, DecliveBL. Sorry to hear about the volcano. :( Can you provide a source for this starting line information?

Paldog at the Starting Line <3
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • US Winter Olympic Team - Sochi 2014 - Go America!
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »
:welcome: to RFF, DecliveBL. Sorry to hear about the volcano. :( Can you provide a source for this starting line information?

Paldog at the Starting Line <3

Or the finish line, either or!
"I've heard her called a quitter for leaving, an aimless wanderer. But not all who wander are aimless. Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition; beyond definition; beyond the image." ― Mona Lisa Smile

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
The oklahoma city rumor is a weird one, I think its fake until we have a source.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
The volcano covered São Paulo's sky now...my city (pelotas,brazil) is covered with this crap too.
I reed in some place that the race will begin in Oklahoma City.

:welcome: to RFF DecliveBL!! I hope you will check out this thread as well:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23591.0.html

Yes, there was some info months ago about Oklahoma City, but there has been no further evidence to support that so far.

Sorry about the ash....  :(
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2011, 11:52:54 PM »
Have moved this over to the TAR 19 thread. :jam:

BUT please remember that it is important to protect the racers until the race ACTUALLY begins. Any racer or location revealed before then is at great risk of being dumped.

So until the race gets underway, NO SPOILERS in this thread please!

Thanks to eveyone for understanding! Feel free to email me or PM me if you have info that needs to be shared or discussed beforehand.

"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2011, 03:57:36 AM »
I have to say, it's always such a great feeling to see Peach add new threads for the next Race! Can't help but get really excited for it to start. Hope this means that it will start some time this week or next (but hopefully, THIS week)!

Offline mds1978

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2011, 04:35:19 AM »
I live in LA and would love to help out with the detective work in the highly likely event of the race starting here, but any sort of recommendations or suggestions on HOW to do this effectively? Let's pretend the race starts on Tuesday and the racers will be arriving at LAX in the afternoon sometime to catch their flights. I get in my car and drive to LAX immediately and then...what? There are seven terminals spread out by a considerable distance. A few of them I know I can rule out (eg. T1, which is southwest and us air, no int'l flights), but international flights are spread out all over, despite there being an international terminal (T4/Tom Bradley), with Air NZ, KLM, AF, Virgin in T2, Qantas/AA in T4, United Int'l flights in T6. Even if I somehow figured out the correct terminal, you can't go through security without a ticket, so do people just spy on them at the ticket counters? And since you're in public and not under contract with the show, can you freely snap away with your camera or does that cause problems? Is there any reason you'd have to be discreet or under the radar? And lastly, are the racers instructed not to talk to anyone if they're asked any questions by dopes like me, or do they mingle? I wonder what the hell they do in the airport while they wait, in many cases for a long, long time.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Missing Apskip :(
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »

Hey MDS!  Great to have your support.   :jam:   The answers are pretty much yes and no.  The bottom line is we hold the playbook close to to our chest.  The rules are ever-changing.  I watch here and check for messages many times a day to be ready.   

Ready for what?   :duno:  It's never the same.

Documenting her Race Around the World:  Wild Eyes
Our children, what are they going to amount to?

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Golden Ball.
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
Well i read on another forum,a women telling the people that their husband its part of security of the airport of Oklahoma city (i doesn now the name) and their ask them to take care of it because The Amazing Race was going to start in Oklahoma City.And about the volcano,the ash and the smoke are no more longer in my town.But Argentina and Chile are impossible destiny's at this point. São Paulo was covered too,but no longer more.The people that is saying that Bolivia,Peru and Paraguai are impossible destiny's,are probably uninformed.The smoke will be gone in two weeks,that's what i think.
"I don't drink. But when i do , i become another person. And that one , drinks a lot."

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Golden Ball.
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2011, 08:16:31 PM »
I'm gonna try to find this forum! In their says too that Servia have great chances of been on the route.
"I don't drink. But when i do , i become another person. And that one , drinks a lot."

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »
Welcome to RFF DecliveBL!

But please read the following closely before posting any spoilers, okay?? :ty3:

Since that info was posted ages ago...plenty of time for things to have changed!

Have moved this over to the TAR 19 thread. :jam:

BUT please remember that it is important to protect the racers until the race ACTUALLY begins. Any racer or location revealed before then is at great risk of being dumped. So until the race gets underway, NO SPOILERS in this thread please!

Thanks to eveyone for understanding! Feel free to email me or PM me if you have info that needs to be shared or discussed beforehand.

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2011, 09:15:51 PM »
Let the race begin !!!  :jam:

Btw, I have mixed reviews for the new look of the forum.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2011, 12:25:39 AM »
Let the race begin !!!  :jam:

Btw, I have mixed reviews for the new look of the forum.

i actually like the older layout.

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2011, 02:39:19 AM »
Season 1: NYC
Season 2: Las Vegas
Season 3: Everglades, Florida
Season 4: Los Angeles
Season 5: Santa Monica, CA
Season 6: Chicago
Season 7: Long Beach, CA
Season 8: NYC
Season 9: Morrison, Colorado
Season 10: Seattle, Washington
Season 11: Palmetto Bay, Florida
Season 12: Los Angeles
Season 13: Los Angeles
Season 14: Los Alamitos, CA
Season 15: Los Angeles
Season 16: Los Angeles
Season 17: Gloucester, Massachusetts
Season 18: Palm Springs, CA

Only 4 of the 17 seasons that started with air travel left from the East Coast, 2 from the Mountain Standard timezone (Denver/Las Vegas) and 1 from the Central Standard timezone (Chicago). The remaining 10 seasons started on the West Coast, with only 1 being non-LAX (Seattle).

The criteria for the departure city would be the following, I would think:
* Has multiple options for trans-oceanic flights to the first destination city, as taking a domestic leg usually isn't in the predetermined first flight itinerary
* The departure times have to be fairly soon (e.g. few hours) after the start of leg 1, which is usually filmed in the morning (any notes on which is the most common day of week for starting a race?)  You can't have a team having to camp out for hours waiting for their first flight, or they'll get spotted by fans!

I am sure many US cities with major international airports fit the criteria. In fact, most of the 1st leg departure airports are hubs for at least one airline with direct international flights: JFK, LAX, ORD, DIA, and MIA.  SEA and LAS are probably the odd ones out. It's a wonder why Atlanta (ATL - home of Delta) and the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex (DFW - home of AA) have never been chosen as a starting city!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:42:34 AM by kenchan »
「超たのしい~!♪」
-Tyler McNiven riding a fold-up bike in the night streets of Tokyo, TAR9

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2011, 04:01:44 AM »
The ashcloud is currently over New Zealand and the south-eastern corner of Australia, but I think we can pretty much confirm Christchurch and Melbourne wouldn't have been the first destinations visited anyway.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2011, 06:59:52 AM »
The ashcloud is currently over New Zealand and the south-eastern corner of Australia, but I think we can pretty much confirm Christchurch and Melbourne wouldn't have been the first destinations visited anyway.

All because of Coutzy I don't think they will dare visit  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2011, 07:24:01 AM »

Only 4 of the 17 seasons that started with air travel left from the East Coast, 2 from the Mountain Standard timezone (Denver/Las Vegas) and 1 from the Central Standard timezone (Chicago). The remaining 10 seasons started on the West Coast, with only 1 being non-LAX (Seattle).

* Has multiple options for trans-oceanic flights to the first destination city, as taking a domestic leg usually isn't in the predetermined first flight itinerary
* The departure times have to be fairly soon (e.g. few hours) after the start of leg 1, which is usually filmed in the morning (any notes on which is the most common day of week for starting a race?)  You can't have a team having to camp out for hours waiting for their first flight, or they'll get spotted by fans!

I am sure many US cities with major international airports fit the criteria. In fact, most of the 1st leg departure airports are hubs for at least one airline with direct international flights: JFK, LAX, ORD, DIA, and MIA.  SEA and LAS are probably the odd ones out. It's a wonder why Atlanta (ATL - home of Delta) and the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex (DFW - home of AA) have never been chosen as a starting city!

kenchan:
You have some good thoughts above. The most typical starting day of the week for an amazing Race start is Saturday. Although I have not developed statistics to support that observation, I am confident that is what statistics will show. Although I don't know why World Race Productions has chosen that, my guess is that it is (along with Tuesdays and Wednesdays) the lowest travel days of the week (thus minimizing the chance of at-airport sitings) plus local traffic from the actual start point to whichever airport is relevant is also near its low.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »
Another good reason why they have almost always started on a Friday Saturday Sunday or Monday is that the participants have to have taken vacation time from work so starting in the middle of the week would be impractical.

The reasons you gave, kenchan, are why the OK City rumors are most likely incorrect. We see a lot of LAX because it is such a reliable international hub, among other reasons. Starting in a midwestern city probably means connecting through LAX or JFK anyway which is just more opportunity for sightings.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:17:54 PM by Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
kenchan:
You have some good thoughts above. The most typical starting day of the week for an amazing Race start is Saturday. Although I have not developed statistics to support that observation, I am confident that is what statistics will show. Although I don't know why World Race Productions has chosen that, my guess is that it is (along with Tuesdays and Wednesdays) the lowest travel days of the week (thus minimizing the chance of at-airport sitings) plus local traffic from the actual start point to whichever airport is relevant is also near its low.
You are correct, the most common start day is Saturday.
Just noticed that we've never had a race start in June.
Hope this isn't too wide to read...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:24:35 AM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
Very interesting post. Does this mean that we are likely to see the race begin towards the end of June?

I'm eager to keep up to date with all the spoilers as I'm currently touring south-east Asia, and would love to do some detective work!

Might we see the race finally visit Bali, as per TARA and TAR Aus?

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Golden Ball.
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »
Alright,sorry guys,i will not post without the source anymore.
I was just giving information about the Puyehe,because i think the race it's going to come here (chile,argentina,paraguai,peru...). I cant see or give information about the show because i live in a small town in Brazil,and Brazil was already in route 18

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
Alright,sorry guys,i will not post without the source anymore.
I was just giving information about the Puyehe,because i think the race it's going to come here (chile,argentina,paraguai,peru...). I cant see or give information about the show because i live in a small town in Brazil,and Brazil was already in route 18

Don't feel bad about not being able to find the source of your information. It happens. I've posted stuff a couple of times without keeping a good record of where I saw it and a week or two later I couldn't find it again. Also, if you have an internet connection, you can find information about what's happening on the show. It just takes good detective work and way too much free time. Especially the latter.  :lol:

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »
I have officially booked work off until next Monday :lol: So let the race start asap please!
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Golden Ball.
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
Just hurt here on the national tv,that Brazil is the first country to re-take the flights to Argentina and Uruguay, Chile is still a destination impossible.A connecting flight to this locations it's now a valid option for the route.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »

Las Vegas is in Pacific Time not Mountain Time.  Also Other hub cities like San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Detroit, Washington-Dulles, Philadelphia, and Houston (United-Continental) are left out in the dark.  Smaller hub cities like Portland, Orlando, Tampa, Cleveland, Cincinnati, San Diego, Honolulu, Washington-National, Indianapolis, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, New Orleans, and Anchorage are also possible places to start the race as for airport wise.  But I really like to see the Starting Line in San Juan, Puerto Rico with the first leg somewhere in the Caribbean like the Lesser Antilles island nations.

Custom Search