Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 9 "We're Good American People" (Switzerland)  (Read 238454 times)

Offline GeKKou

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 18 Ep 9 "We're Good American People" (Switzerland)
« Reply #650 on: April 25, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »
In the interview, Jet said, he just kept substracting the kms he went lost.

Offline thespicdatum

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2011, 04:23:12 AM »
Helping each other at different points in the Race is so common.  Teams have helped each other nearly every single season at one point or another, so why is everyone so shocked and appauled and calling foul??

Had Jet not got cocky and sped off leaving Gary behind in the RB, he would have got help too and not had to repeat the task.  The Trotters would probably be gone right now, not the Cowboys.  That was Jet's fault, not anyone else's. JMO

The U-Turns are put there for teams to U-Turn other teams.  It's the nature of the game.  Would the Trotters have made the PS without U-Turning the Boys? Probably.  But Jet and Cord were so close behind them that they couldn't take the risk... Things can change on the way to the PS and they wanted to make sure they had plenty of time. Can't blame the Trotters for covering their own butts.

Now it's time for the Cowboy fans to pick themselves by the boot straps and pick another team to get behind and root for!  Go Gallory! Go Zev & Justin!

I disagree to some extent.

If Jet stayed with Gary, two things may have happened:

1. Other teams would help Gary and then Gary would give the answer to Jet.

and the most likely is

2. The other teams, as much as they would like to help Gary, won't do a thing since Gary is with Jet. They would return to the starting point together.

If you watch most of the episodes and the first few minutes of this episode. One thing is common. The other teams respect and marvel at how the Cowboys can do tasks quickly and they are wary of the two.

The only reason the Uturn was not used for the cowboys by the first four teams is because they knew thay are far behind in the detour that it is not needed.

in short, the cowboys have bull's eyes on their backs all along.  Bull's eyes on Cowboys backs. There's a nice ring to it

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #652 on: April 26, 2011, 05:31:41 AM »
Slowhatch............

Here is his tally, taken from a cap at the border crossing. I can't make any sense of it. ???

The computation on the left is extra distance Jet had traveled when he meet Gary (6.81 km ?). The computation on the right was at the end. It has Jet's odometer reading on top ( 28.xx km) and the first computation. What Jet did, was to add, instead of subtracting. If he would have subtracted the final computation, he would have had 22 km, instead of 35 km.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:39:18 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2011, 05:50:20 AM »
Slowhatch............

Here is his tally, taken from a cap at the border crossing. I can't make any sense of it. ???

The computation on the left is extra distance Jet had traveled when he meet Gary (6.81 km ?). The computation on the right was at the end. It has Jet's odometer reading on top ( 28.xx km) and the first computation. What Jet did, was to add, instead of subtracting. If he would have subtracted the final computation, he would have had 22 km, instead of 35 km.

So you're telling me their eliminations was because of a simple math mistake? OMG, as much as I love the cowboys, this is just not acceptable
Bring on the 21!

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #654 on: April 26, 2011, 07:18:56 AM »
Helping each other at different points in the Race is so common.  Teams have helped each other nearly every single season at one point or another, so why is everyone so shocked and appauled and calling foul??

Had Jet not got cocky and sped off leaving Gary behind in the RB, he would have got help too and not had to repeat the task.  The Trotters would probably be gone right now, not the Cowboys.  That was Jet's fault, not anyone else's. JMO

The U-Turns are put there for teams to U-Turn other teams.  It's the nature of the game.  Would the Trotters have made the PS without U-Turning the Boys? Probably.  But Jet and Cord were so close behind them that they couldn't take the risk... Things can change on the way to the PS and they wanted to make sure they had plenty of time. Can't blame the Trotters for covering their own butts.

Now it's time for the Cowboy fans to pick themselves by the boot straps and pick another team to get behind and root for!  Go Gallory! Go Zev & Justin!

I disagree to some extent.

If Jet stayed with Gary, two things may have happened:

1. Other teams would help Gary and then Gary would give the answer to Jet.

and the most likely is

2. The other teams, as much as they would like to help Gary, won't do a thing since Gary is with Jet. They would return to the starting point together.

If you watch most of the episodes and the first few minutes of this episode. One thing is common. The other teams respect and marvel at how the Cowboys can do tasks quickly and they are wary of the two.

The only reason the Uturn was not used for the cowboys by the first four teams is because they knew thay are far behind in the detour that it is not needed.

in short, the cowboys have bull's eyes on their backs all along.  Bull's eyes on Cowboys backs. There's a nice ring to it

The general consensus is; Gary already knew the right number and Herb just confirmed it.  Gary probably would have shared the number with Jet.  The other teams didn't use the U-Turn because they knew multiple teams were behind them.  The Trotters used it because they knew the Cowboys had the ability to beat them, they were too close for comfort.  The Cowboys were good and yes everyone was aware of it but I don't think anyone, maybe with the exception of KENT and Vxysin, had it out for them.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #655 on: April 26, 2011, 07:29:09 AM »
The general consensus is; Gary already knew the right number and Herb just confirmed it.  Gary probably would have shared the number with Jet.  The other teams didn't use the U-Turn because they knew multiple teams were behind them.  The Trotters used it because they knew the Cowboys had the ability to beat them, they were too close for comfort.  The Cowboys were good and yes everyone was aware of it but I don't think anyone, maybe with the exception of KENT and Vxysin, had it out for them.

Jet and Cord arrived in Zermatt ONE HOUR behind G/M, K/V, FT/BE and 1.5 Hours behind Z/J, K/J. It appears it took about one hour to do either detour. Give FT/BE an extra 15 minutes to retrieve the lost receipts.......that means they were ahead 30-45 minutes when they U-Turned Jet and Cord........they were in no way in jepardy of being caught.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #656 on: April 26, 2011, 07:47:59 AM »

Jet and Cord arrived in Zermatt ONE HOUR behind G/M, K/V, FT/BE and 1.5 Hours behind Z/J, K/J. It appears it took about one hour to do either detour. Give FT/BE an extra 15 minutes to retrieve the lost receipts.......that means they were ahead 30-45 minutes when they U-Turned Jet and Cord........they were in no way in jepardy of being caught.

I don't think the Trotters used the U-Turn to turn a knife in the boys back (just to be mean), they used it to ensure there would be absolutely no way the boys could beat them.  It doesn't matter if they had 30 or 45 minutes on the Boys, they are a good team, everyone knew it and it was simply as insurance.  I mean, what if they got lost, the Taxi lost power or got a flat tire... That 30-45 minute lead could have easily been lost. Just sayin'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #657 on: April 26, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #658 on: April 26, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »

I don't think the Trotters used the U-Turn to turn a knife in the boys back (just to be mean), they used it to ensure there would be absolutely no way the boys could beat them.  It doesn't matter if they had 30 or 45 minutes on the Boys, they are a good team, everyone knew it and it was simply as insurance.  I mean, what if they got lost, the Taxi lost power or got a flat tire... That 30-45 minute lead could have easily been lost. Just sayin'.
And when the Trotters got to the W-Turn box, they do not know what the next clue says.  For all they knew, they had another task before heading to the PitStop.  Strategically U-Turning the Cowboys was the right thing to do.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #659 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »
Slowhatch............

I don't see how he would have gotten the correct answer even if subtracted at the end. Assuming that the extra distance Jet traveled is 6.81 km, to get to his answer 35 km, he would have an odometer reading of 28.19 km. If he subtracted, he still wouldn't have gotten 22 km, even if he rounded... Unless he doesn't know how to round.  :duno:

It's hard to make out what he wrote. When Gary met up with Jet, Gary said he had 10.75 km while Jet had 17.5 km... That would've given him 6.75 km... except I don't think I see it on the piece of paper.  :nut:

Assuming that racers rounded their answers, he would have needed a number somewhere between 28.25 km to 29.24 km to be able to subtract 6.75 km to get the answer.

Offline connayyy

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #660 on: April 26, 2011, 05:11:22 PM »
Slowhatch............

I don't see how he would have gotten the correct answer even if subtracted at the end. Assuming that the extra distance Jet traveled is 6.81 km, to get to his answer 35 km, he would have an odometer reading of 28.19 km. If he subtracted, he still wouldn't have gotten 22 km, even if he rounded... Unless he doesn't know how to round.  :duno:

It's hard to make out what he wrote. When Gary met up with Jet, Gary said he had 10.75 km while Jet had 17.5 km... That would've given him 6.75 km... except I don't think I see it on the piece of paper.  :nut:

Assuming that racers rounded their answers, he would have needed a number somewhere between 28.25 km to 29.24 km to be able to subtract 6.75 km to get the answer.

Jet said in an interview that, after getting the number from Gary, he made a few more wrong turns. He did his best to guess the distance he'd gone in the wrong direction and subtract that from his odometer reading, but since he didn't know the exact distance his final answer was still pretty far off.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #661 on: April 26, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
Slowhatch............

Jet said in an interview that, after getting the number from Gary, he made a few more wrong turns. He did his best to guess the distance he'd gone in the wrong direction and subtract that from his odometer reading, but since he didn't know the exact distance his final answer was still pretty far off.

That makes much more sense. I don't think he would've gotten the answer even if he did his math correctly.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #662 on: April 26, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
The numbers on that paper look like this to me:

Left side: 17.37-10.76=6.61

Right side: 28.52+6.61=35.13

If he subtracted the 6.61 he would have gotten 28.52-6.61=21.91

So if that paper is Jet's calculation, maybe he did add instead of subtract.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #663 on: April 26, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
It looks like production is 0-for-2 in the castles category. :js:

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #664 on: April 27, 2011, 07:37:39 AM »
Has anybody linked to this interview from Reality TV World?  Don't recall seeing it, though it could be back upthread.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-jet-mccoy-and-cord-mccoy-talk-about-the-amazing-race-12226.php

Jet and Cord really seem to think they were just minutes behind the GTs before the U-turn, and I wonder...I suppose based on the trains, there is info about when they were most likely to have arrived in town for the Detour, and so how far behind they were.  Initially, I thought they were totally out of it, mostly finishing alone, but I wasn't paying close attention.

On rewatching, I was surprised to see they actually ran into other teams while delivering the luggage (at least Gary/Mallory, plus someone else, or G/M twice).  The article says J/C saw 4 or 6 backpacks (so 2 or 3 teams) when they arrived at the luggage detour, which also surprised me.  The other teams were walking through the detour, but every time we saw J/C, they were running.  As per Jen and Kisha, some of the hotels were further away and took longer; also, weren't there maps available showing where the hotels were?  Gary interviews in the taxi that the GTs and J/C were battling it out...

So if J/C picked closer hotels, going fast, and given the GTs had to redo two more suitcases, plus got lost looking for the U-Turn location - I wonder if they really were closer to the GTs finishing time for the luggage task than the 15-30 minutes that's been speculated.

I was also surprised to hear Jet say when he got to Marco at the RB, he knew there were at least three teams behind him.  I wondered why he didn't look all that upset when he knew he had to redo it.     

In any case, this article, and the other interviews on that site, give some additional interesting info.  For example, it explains more why in the other episode J/C made the choice to take the later flight with fewer connections.  Also, Christina and Ron said in their interview that they didn't complain when they got to the mat about the GTs taking their Amazing Purse, they were friendly with the GTs and were going to just talk to them after.  She says they were told by production there was going to be a penalty and were asked to go back to the mat to talk about the experience.  Finally, it seems the reason teams were so pissed about Kent & Vyksin only getting a 30 minute penalty over the mandatory flight issue was because if you missed the first mandatory flight, you were supposed to wait for the same flight 24 hours later.  Apparently, there was an earlier flight than the mandatory flight, and if the other teams knew the penalty was only 30 minutes, they would have taken that...

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #665 on: April 27, 2011, 07:54:39 AM »
lovetherace,

There were numerous flight connections to get from Tokyo-Narita to Chengdu both before and after the "mandatory" flight. As you would know if you carefully read earlier threads on this, there was no reason to put all teams on that flight other than: 

Knowledge by World Race Productions that all teams plus their camera and sound guys could fit into that flight combination or
WRP not wanting any teams to arrive in Jiangji before 5am

So, there was no reason for the penalty assessed on Kent/Vyxsin to be more than the 30 minutes. I have made a case for there being no penalty other than the later arrival time they had into Jiangji. The other racers like Luke, Margie, Cara and Jaime who argued for a 24 hour penalty were ignorant of flight alternatives and had a vested interest in a bigger penalty.

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #666 on: April 27, 2011, 08:00:27 AM »
Really no reason to be unpleasant, I was only noting some information said by racers in a source of interviews I didn't recall seeing mentioned much.

What was interesting to me particularly was seeing how things are shaded by editing, something I hadn't fully appreciated before.  I'm sure those of you with long experience here are fully aware of this, but it was a lesson for me.

With respect to the specific question, I did also feel that given the delay of the later flight, a 30 minute penalty was reasonable for K/V, and I didn't understand why it was an issue with the other racers.  According to the interviews, it seemed that the issue was more one of how the instructions were worded, with racers feeling more that they had been deceived by TPTB, rather than a particular grudge against K/V.  I wasn't presenting an argument, just pointing out some information.

Perhaps I will just go back to lurking...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:14:17 AM by lovetherace »

Offline Dragonite02

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #667 on: April 27, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »
has anybody seen this already?
silly me. I mean does this mean something?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:42:36 PM by Dragonite02 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #668 on: April 27, 2011, 08:08:57 AM »
We can't see it as you are linking to a password protected PB. If there is something to share, try uploading it on [banned image hosting site]s and then use the [IMG] format from [banned image hosting site]s to share here.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #669 on: April 27, 2011, 08:14:29 AM »
has anybody seen this already?

The picture isn't there... I tried 'show picture' and got nothing.  can you describe it? Thanks!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #670 on: April 27, 2011, 08:20:18 AM »
Really no reason to be unpleasant, I was only noting some information said by racers in a source of interviews I didn't recall seeing mentioned much.

What was interesting to me particularly was seeing how things are shaded by editing, something I hadn't fully appreciated before.  I'm sure those of you with long experience here are fully aware of this, but it was a lesson for me.

With respect to the specific question, I did also feel that given the delay of the later flight, a 30 minute penalty was reasonable for K/V, and I didn't understand why it was an issue with the other racers.  According to the interviews, it seemed that the issue was more one of how the instructions were worded, with racers feeling more that they had been deceived by TPTB, rather than a particular grudge against K/V.  I wasn't presenting an argument, just pointing out some information.

Thanks for sharing the interview, lovetherace and welcome to RFF! Don't go back to lurking, it's great for people to share. Don't let certain posters scare you off. You have to have a thick skin on here sometimes. :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #671 on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
:bigwelcome lovetherace!! With a name like that you are definitely in the right place!!

Thanks for pulling together all the interview info. I also feel that until the U-Turn, the time difference may not have been overwhelming apart. The Trotters seemed to have quite a bit of trouble on the luggage task.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #672 on: April 27, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

What was interesting to me particularly was seeing how things are shaded by editing, something I hadn't fully appreciated before.  I'm sure those of you with long experience here are fully aware of this, but it was a lesson for me.

Thanks for sharing the interview, lovetherace and welcome to RFF! Don't go back to lurking, it's great for people to share. Don't let certain posters scare you off. You have to have a thick skin on here sometimes. :lol:

^^Yeah, what Prophet said ^^ There are a couple in particular that like to challenge people and I have learned I have to sit on my hands and bite my lip until the urge to kill goes away. LMAO

On another note... I saw an interview with Gary & Mallory on CBS.  They were on the train to Zermat.  They said that Kisha and Jen were telling people to U-Turn the Goths.  I was surprised that after all that, they didn't U-Turn them themselves!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #673 on: April 27, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »
lovetherace,

There were numerous flight connections to get from Tokyo-Narita to Chengdu both before and after the "mandatory" flight. As you would know if you carefully read earlier threads on this, there was no reason to put all teams on that flight other than:  

Apskip, please remember that not everyone pays as much attention to details as you do.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #674 on: April 27, 2011, 09:05:59 AM »

What was interesting to me particularly was seeing how things are shaded by editing, something I hadn't fully appreciated before.  I'm sure those of you with long experience here are fully aware of this, but it was a lesson for me.

With respect to the specific question, I did also feel that given the delay of the later flight, a 30 minute penalty was reasonable for K/V, and I didn't understand why it was an issue with the other racers.  According to the interviews, it seemed that the issue was more one of how the instructions were worded, with racers feeling more that they had been deceived by TPTB, rather than a particular grudge against K/V.  I wasn't presenting an argument, just pointing out some information.

No need to lurk! I too wonder about how things are changed, perspective wise, with the editing.

Welcome to RFF, we're happy that you've joined in the discussions!   :tup:

:bigwelcome
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.