Author Topic: TARAus 1 Episode 1 (Indonesia) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 37152 times)

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARAus 1 Episode 1 (Indonesia) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2011, 04:24:25 AM »
All the other teams are the bland stereotypical play it safe types...totally forgettable.

Next time I hope the producers take note of the kind of people who stand out from the other Amazing Races in the world, such as: Kynt (Kent) and Vyxsin, Margie and Luke, Oswald and Danny, BJ and Tyler (hippies), the Globetrotters, Marc and Rovilson (Asia), Tina and Kenny, the Guidos, Adrian and Collin (Asia), Joyce and Uchenna, Nick and Starr, Ron and Christina, Victoria and Jonathan. Absolutely memorable stars, with personalities!

One of the things Australian reality shows are especially good at is creating three dimensional characters rather than the one-note hacks you get with teams like most of those you mentioned (especially the Hippies, GTs, and Goths). Yes, it usually means you take longer to get to know somebody, but it also means the editing is more believable. And with the bonus that they can't claim it's the editors' fault they look like asses.

As far as examples, I'd definitely recommend the first two seasons of our version of The Mole (also hosted by Grant), as well as possibly even Australian Survivor. The latter wasn't a great show, but the characters are still more developed than anyone on the US Survivor has been since at least Guatemala.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2011, 04:59:22 AM »
I completely disagree. The editing is great and the teams are wonderful. A truly great first episode

'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Sash

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2011, 05:41:34 AM »
Firstly, let me put it out there, models (male and female), beauty queens and wannabe actors, are on the whole not cutting it. It would be great to see a series without a third of the contestants falling into this category (I'm talking to you US version).

tarflyonthewall, I understand what you are saying and I have no doubt I will warm to the teams, as I have in past seasons of the international ones, but I also want an instant smack-in-the-face-this-is-gonna-be-something-real-fun feeling like I get with most of the contestants I wrote about earlier. You can't imagine how buzzed I was, and I'm sure all the aussies here were about the first ep (I actually cried when I saw the first ad where they showed the contestants for the first time weeks and weeks ago) and I bugged the hell out of work colleagues with my 30min by 30 min countdown on Monday. Then when it came on I have to admit feeling a bit let down, I would have loved some one dimensional, as you put it, stand outs to draw me in.

The first season of the original US version is still one of my fav's (sentimental value ups it in my estimation I guess), and they had a great cast of smart, interesting, real people (RIP Margaretta). Also at the start it was almost palpable the feeling of tension and excitement as they got out of the buses and stood in the cold and snow waiting to get going (Phil was a TAR God from the get-go), I feel AusTAR missed that.

Anyway, enough complaining from me, I still love it, and anyway when you have so many Amazing Race versions going on all over the world, all is right with the universe.   

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2011, 06:12:24 AM »
Great first episode. I loved it!

I like the F/F teams with Anne-Marie and Tracie being the best, but I almost hate the M/F teams. Tayler and Nathan remind me of Richard and Richard from TARA 4, strong physical team, with the potential to go far but absolutely boring. As for the cowboys: Help I need a translator! even  when there are subtitles I still have no idea what they are talking about.

P.S. I can't wait for the "My ox is broken" task next episode. 

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2011, 06:22:25 AM »
"She'll be right" = no problems/worries

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2011, 06:40:19 AM »
We all have opinions, Sash, mine just happens to differ hugely, but it's good to see difference of opinion!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2011, 06:58:02 AM »
who wants to go shopping on Tracy's card  :lol:  :lol3:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2011, 07:12:15 AM »
who wants to go shopping on Tracy's card  :lol:  :lol3:

Another one of the subtle plugs for NAB. Did anyone catch the one at the Pit Stop when Sam & Renae won $10,000 from NAB Classic Banking. It was real small, you probably wouldn't have noticed it if you didn't look for it.
 :colealert:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
I'm still watching the first episode, but I think it's as interesting as the American version so far.  I thought the fisherman's village clue searching was hilarious.

Right now, Tyler and Nathan are the main frontrunners in my mind. I think Richard and Joey have some potential.

The rice festival active Route Marker is interesting because it shows that the creators are willing to use active Route Markers, which make the leg more interesting, IMO. :tup:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:12:45 PM by Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2011, 12:11:40 PM »
Even though the tasks are a TAR 4 rerun, I somehow didn't mind. This CAST is amazingly awesome, I am hooked already!!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
The Detour was just whatever it was. I've seen better and worse.

The briefcase task was a definite plus! I <3 it!

(I take that back about Tyler and Nathan :lol: )

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Final Thoughts:
Sam and Renae were better than I expected them to be. It should be interesting to see how they do in the future.

Wasn't expecting the non-elimination leg on the first leg, but I'm glad they're going to use the Marked for Elimination method. :tup:

I know that not all hosts are at their best on their first reality show, but I think Grant needs to appear less practiced and more genuine. JMO

All in all, this looks to be a good show to watch. :tup:

Offline phant0m

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I hate you all.
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
Sam and Renae were awesome. Why won't they cast another DustinandKandice team on the american version? Also love the australian version of the bowling moms (one of the top 10 teams ever btw). The cowboys were okay, still 100x times better than Jet & Cord. Hated the enterpreneurs and the brother-sister team. Overall - good episode and cast - looking forward to how this is gonna turn out!

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
I like the fact it was filmed in 16:9 ratio too. Not sure if its HD as Channel 7 is not in HD, but at least they didn't go backwards and only film it in 4:3. The productionwas also good and nice sky shots and scenery too. They didn't skimp on the budget.

AusTAR was shot in HD, yes. It was the first of the franchise to be filmed as such.

If you're talking about all versions ever created, I believe that The Amazing Race: China Rush was the first one to have filmed in HD.

Offline Phat139

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2011, 12:20:03 AM »
I watched episode 1 and asked myself one question: "Am I re-watching TARAsia 4 episode 8?"  :duno:
I mean the way they get the Detour clue is the same way in TARA4 (Perang Topat - rice war), one of the Detour (Carry) is the same Detour in Asia 4 (Above), and the finding briefcase, counting money task is also the same, the difference is that each briefcase contains different money. Plus, the road to the pit stop tell you to travel by cidomo (horse carriage) just the same. Finally, the pit stop is also located at Sunset Point - Gili Trawangan...  (:;)
Although, it is still more interesting with new participants, some changes (beside TARA4): Roadblock (climb then abseil), one of the Detour (Cash - sell Bakso), BOTH members dive into Halik Reef and retrieve a briefcase, counting houses with chalks & boards...  :lol3: Oh yeah, a new host, too, Grant Bowler, but he doesn't seem to be enthusiastic like Phil, like the way he announces result to each teams, he uses the same line like: "You are team number...." and that sounds like he doesn't happy and congratulate to the teams much... :(
My favorite part in this episode is probably the Detour, there are more teams perform, some Cash, some Carry... really funny the way how they sell Bakso: begging, hugging, kissing... and drop the baskets while they are carrying  :lol:
My favorite teams are: Sam & Renae, Tyler & Nathan, Kelly & Dave, Anne-Marie & Tracy and especially Matt & Tom. They remind me of Jet & Cord from TAR America... and you know how I love cowboys!!  :yess:
Hope Matt & Tom are as good as Jet & Cord, we still haven't watched all the season yet, so we didn't know how they will turn out in the race, but right now, I'm rooting for them and the others  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:24:50 AM by Phat139 »
You did very well, Jet & Cord... You still smiled and showed respect to each other as a team, even when you were eliminated...
So... now go Gary & Mallory!! Win for the cowboys!!

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2011, 02:28:19 AM »
I just watched the first episode. I like how it started with a roadblock. There wasn't much drama to it though. I loved watching the teams search for the clues in the fishing village. :lol3:

I definitely underestimated Sam & Renae and Dave & Kelly. Anne-Marie & Tracy are just a joy to watch, although I find it extremely unlikely for them to win. I think Tyler & Nathan, Sam & Renae and Dave & Kelly are the teams to beat right now. I hope Tom & Matt do extremely well because they remind me of Jet & Cord. :tup:

I was surprised at how the teams worked together. I expected them to not cooperate and tell each other about the location of the clue in the fishing village. It was nice to see Dave hand Tom & Matt the money that was on the ground. :hearts:

The host disappointed me. He was absolutely emotionless. :groan: Where's Phil?

Overall, a pretty good episode. And I like Australian accents. :lol:

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2011, 02:46:44 AM »
Thought that first episode was pretty fun...mostly due to the spectacular cast. Even the teams that are kind of so-so still had me engaged and wanting to see more of them in the future. Like many others on this board, I really love Anne-Marie & Tracy, Dave & Kelly and Sam & Renae!

Just a little annoyed that they recycled tasks from TARA. I just think a spectacular cast deserves their own ORIGINAL and spectacular route. People always seem to be complaining about the "boring" or "lame" tasks on TAR US, but at least they make an attempt to produce new tasks for the teams, even if some of them don't work out too well. I appreciate originality! Luckily, this great cast more than made up for the recycling. I remember the cast of TARA4 to be borderline boring, annoying or forgettable enough that the recycled route/tasks isn't too much of a bother because TARAustralia's cast are making the tasks more interesting and enjoyable for me to watch. Seems like the rest of the race will be doing more recycling, so I guess I'll just have to focus my attention on the teams and hope they continue to deliver!

As for the host...well, nobody can host the Amazing Race like Phil, so I just don't ever pay attention to the other hosts. They're all the same to me  B:)

Just curious, you think any of these teams saw any TARA episodes and maybe got any advantages in terms of maybe knowing what to expect or where they were going or how to better accomplish a task? I saw the TARA4 episode where the clues were hidden in the boat (just like in Australia's first episode) and if I had been a racer, I would have known to check the boats first (and this having only seen that particular TARA4 episode once)!

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2011, 04:44:33 AM »
They may have seen some of the earlier seasons, but they didn't see TARA4 (which began airing as the race was filming), and I'd put dollars to donuts nobody bothered learning Hebrew for HMLM.

Offline stifflfootball

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »
It was fun watching another version of TAR.  There was a lot of stuff packed into the show.  I like Sam & Renae.  They seem to be good racers and hope they can handle the physical tasks that are sure to come during the race.  I really like Anne-Marie & Tracy.  They remind me of the Bowling Moms in US season 5.  Hope they last as long, but I'm concerned whether they can physically compete.  Their reference to the tortoise and the hare was spot on.  I like Tom & Matt but I'm afraid they may be overmatched as they appear to be way out of their element.  I was also surprised at the non-elim but it gives me a chance to learn a bit more about the teams. 
TAR - Around the world from the comfort of your couch.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »
And congrats to Sam & Renae for being the first FF team with an Express Pass.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Saravannan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
I loved it :) Teams were great and I was quite amazed that no one on the show knew the leg from TARA. I figured if you were going to be on the show you'd watch a ton of earlier seasons.

I've still got faith in Grant though, I loved him when he hosted the mole who-knows-how-long ago so hopefully he'll pick up quickly.

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:28 AM »
Amazing Race Review

This is only my opinion, don't take it too seriously. Enjoy

Australia - Episode 1

Tasks - Climbing, rappelling, running through a mob of people throwing rice, carrying baskets on the head or selling 15 bowls of bakso, boating, diving, money-counting. This leg had everything, the tasks (even though were a copy of TARA4) are very well done, what does the next leg hold for us?
9/10
Location - Indonesia is beautiful and the camera crew's works is impeccable, some of the shots looks unreal (in a good way) and being in HD really helps. It's pretty obvious the producers are giving their all to give us a great season.
8/10
Teams - The cast is surprisingly likeable, with a few exceptions (see below), they're well rounded and genuine people. I've already bonded with some of the teams, and this is just the first episode.
9/10
Overall Score
8.5/10

Teams

Love
Sam and Renae - These tough girls don't take no for an answer, they're smart and strong and their first-place finish proves it. Beware the blondes.
Matt and Tom - I like these guys, honestly. I think they have the potential to become fan favorites soon.
Anne-Marie and Tracy - These two women are hilarious... nuff' said.

Nathan and Tyler - I though I would absolutely HATE this team, I was wrong. they're funny, strong, and cool guys. I wonder what's in store from them.

Meh
Richard and Joey - A bit uninteresting, Joey is funny and Richard is nice enough. I'm thrilled they're nothing like Jonathan and Victoria.
Alana and Mel - I tried to at least like this team, but they're weak and pretty boring. I think I may be judging too quickly, prove me wrong girls.
Ryot and Liberty - I don't know why, but I've got a bad feeling about this team, I sense a meltdown soon...

Ugh
Jeff and Luke - The most boring team of them all, and possible contenders for the annoying alpha-male team slot.

YUCK!
Kelly and Dave - They're like an anti-Tyler and Nathan, I though I would absolutely LOVE them, a Kent and Vyxsin/Meredith and Gretchen hybrid. But I lost my patience with them halfway through the episode.
Anastasia and Chris - a model-like dating couple trying to figure out their future together... get me out of here.

Shoot me now
Mo and Mos - I can't stand them, they shouldn't be on this race. Unfit, annoying, and boring. I can't wait to watch them bite the dust, I can pretty much guarantee their elimination next week.

Current ranking of my favorite teams

1)Sam and Renae
2)Matt and Tom
3)Anne-Marie and Tracy
4)Nathan and Tyler
5)Richard and Joey
6)Ryot and Liberty
7)Alana and Mel
8)Jeff and Luke
9)Anastasia and Chris
10)Kelly and Dave
11)Mo and Mos

Kevin's predicted final results (this is locked for the season, we'll compare the actual results at the end of the season):

1)Matt and Tom
2)Nathan and Tyler
3)Sam and Renae
4)Jeff and Luke
5)Richard and Joey
6)Anastasia and Chris
7)Kelly and Dave
8)Ryot and Liberty
9)Anne-Marie and Tracy
10)Alana and Mel
11)Mo and Mos

Memorable moments

- Anyone else was just as surprised as me on how good the premiere was? The editing was on par with the US version and great use of background music
-The intro gives me chills.
-Tracy hanging on the rope, looking lifeless... What a strange moment
-"We hadn't even left the country" *Tracy laughs* "...and we were stuck in a carpark"*Tracy laughs harder*. This makes me burst out laughing every time.
-The cowboys didn't understand how to buy tickets, they're pretty clueless guys, aren't they? That's why I love 'em
-Teams running around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for the clue hidden in the boat.
-Running through a flock of people throwing rice at the teams? Genius
-The expression on some of the teams faces while doing the "Carry" detour (Nathan and Tyler, Sam and Renae, Jeff, and Tom)
-Anastasia's reaction when her team got the right number at the money-counting task.
-Alana and Mel's "butt-five"
-Not a single advertisement-task!

Next week's preview

Teams fly to Vietnam
Anastasia and Chris begin to argue...ugh
Anne-Marie and Tracy in the mud performing the classic "My Ox is Broken!" task.
A team suffers some form of betrayal

Final thoughts

I was really surprised at how well done the premiere was, I can't wait for next week's episode. This is gonna be a great season
Bring on the 21!

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2011, 04:03:26 AM »
Redskevin88's Review: "Somebody Call the Police"

Summary

The Amazing Race Australia begins. After climbing down the Melbourne Cricket Ground towers, 10 teams flew to Bali, Indonesia. Anne-Marie & Tracy and Matt & Tom had trouble getting out of Australia, while Nathan & Tyler sailed their way across, only to encounter an Hours of Operation. The next morning, ten teams bumbled their way through Lombok, but eventually found their clue. While Richard & Joey struggled to sell bakso, Sam & Renae balanced their way through the detour, and counted their blessings to a first place finish, and won the Express Pass. Mo & Mos struggled through the entire leg, eventually, given the chance to catch up at the counting task, failed and were last. They were not eliminated but "marked for elimination". 

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2011, 04:09:08 AM »

Tasks: 7/10

The tasks were good although a blatant copy of TARA 4 (except for the Melbourne Roadblock, which is why I only gave it a 7/10. Proof of the Redskevin's maxim that it is the cast that makes a race memorable, and not the route or tasks (which can also help)

Lombok, Indonesia is very beautiful, and in High-Def, wow. Wish the American version of TAR would visit there.

Teams: 9/10
The teams are good, wonderful, genuine people, not the plastic stereotypes you see on Reality TV.

Overall score: 8/10

Love

Sam & Renae: Wow. They are a strong girly-girl team like Nat & Kat or Brook & Claire from Season 17
Anne-Marie & Tracy: I absolutely adore this team, but sadly, don't see them going too far. Physical tasks will be their downfall.
Nathan & Tyler: Funny & strong guys, they will go far. Will they win? Too early to say

Like:
Mo & Mos - They are funny, humorous guys, but they're slow and unfit. Think they will be gone

Neutral:
Matt & Tom - Cowboys need to wisen up or soon be gone
Alana & Mel - Didn't see much of them to make a first impression
Jeff & Like - Ditto

Dislike:
Ryot & Liberty - Ryot, calm down buddy, this is too early to have stress fatigue
Dave & Kelly - They need to improve their attitude, could have been good.
Richard & Joey - They are too intense for my liking
Anastasia and Chris - Ditto Richard & Joey

Hate:
No One

Perdiction for next leg

1. Nathan & Tyler
2. Sam & Renae
3. Ryot & Liberty
4. Jeff & Luke
5. Alana & Mel
6. Dave & Kelly
7. Matt & Tom
8. Richard & Joey
9. Anastasia & Chris
10. Anne-Marie & Tracy
11. Mo & Mos

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2011, 06:03:47 AM »
So, I'm going to recap this show. Is anyone able to provide a screencap comparing the four different map formats they've used? I'd like to compare the graphics used for the flights this time to the TARA4 graphics, as well as the green-globe used for TAR1-13 and the Google Earth graphics used for TAR14 onwards.