Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 5 "Don't Ruin the Basketball Game" (Kunming, China)  (Read 126306 times)

Offline Kelsey_x

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 18 Ep 5 "Don't Ruin the Basketball Game" (Kunming, China)
« Reply #300 on: March 21, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »
The racers, especially Jamie, were quite tired at the Roadblock.  One thing that was not mentioned last night is that Kunming is 6000 ft above sea level.  I would not be surprised if the altitude added to the tiredness.

I agree, Jamie just looked physically exhausted. She wasn't yelling or screaming the way she normally does when she is angry. I think she was just defeated. Regardless of the Uturn I think Jamie would have been last. I'm really glad she finished it. I can't imagine the altitude didn't factor in as well.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #301 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »
This could very well be the toughest season yet.

Also, Vyxsin lost her eye-brows by the end of the leg.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »
There is an Insider video of Kisha receiving O2 for chest tightness...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #303 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
Also, Vyxsin lost her eye-brows by the end of the leg.

:lol3: Yes, but in the confessionals she was decked out again.

There is an Insider video of Kisha receiving O2 for chest tightness...

I can't believe this wasn't aired. :ascared
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »
The racers, especially Jamie, were quite tired at the Roadblock.  One thing that was not mentioned last night is that Kunming is 6000 ft above sea level.  I would not be surprised if the altitude added to the tiredness.

I agree, Jamie just looked physically exhausted. She wasn't yelling or screaming the way she normally does when she is angry. I think she was just defeated. Regardless of the Uturn I think Jamie would have been last. I'm really glad she finished it. I can't imagine the altitude didn't factor in as well.

This was discussed several weeks ago, but most people just po-pahed the idea that the altitude would have any effect. I noticed that Margie/Luke didnt participate in the basketball game and spent the time relaxing and recuperating. They know the effects of altitude since they live in Denver.......well Margie still does. They were pretty consistant throughout the legs. Slow and steady works better at altitude than fast and stop. Ron and Christina walking around Lijiang helped them too. The bad night on the train probably didnt let any team really rest either. Great leg design.
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #306 on: March 22, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »
I think some teams (Trotters, Cowboys) are able to acclimate to the higher attitudes better than others. I don't think you lose your ability to adjust your breathing (and oxygen intake) from living in higher attitudes simply because you no longer live in such an area. (it increases your lung capacity, which is why some world-class athletes train in high altitude locations in their respective sport.)

As to whether Jamie and Cara could or couldn't U-Turn the Trotters after being U-Turned, I don't see anything in the descriptions we've had about the double U-Turns that preclude it. The limitation is that one you have U-Turned another team, you can't do it again in the Race (because you no longer have the smaller photo of your team in your fanny pack); with the Double U-Turn, using it on another trailing team especially when you've been U-Turn makes perfect strategy sense. (And we know that the team photo is the controlling factor because those were used with the Yield, and losing that team photo prevented some teams in that era from Yielding another team.

-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #307 on: March 22, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »

You bet, but there was also residual impact from sleeping on the train until sometime before arrival at 530am and from having gone up the gondola the prior day to 4600 meters, a mere 14,300 feet.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #308 on: March 26, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
Did anyone mention this yet? We got new intro for the teams last week.. some of the teams got new footages! :<3

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #309 on: March 26, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
Did anyone mention this yet? We got new intro for the teams last week.. some of the teams got new footages! :<3

Yup. It was mentioned.  :tup: Peach posted a video somewhere.