Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161285 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1100 on: March 19, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
Did we get a Christchurch mention somewhere? I am remembering something more recent from somewhere...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1101 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
Christchurch was mentioned when TAR held a leg there, but the earthquake wasn't during a period after filming and before boradcast of that episode. It was, instead, a leg filmed to promote tourism in that region, and that was a leg involving a PSA on CBS rather than a mention at the beginning of an episode filmed there before their earthquake and aired afterwards.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1102 on: March 19, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »
And given that they are reportedly replacement legs for the Philippines, which suffered a massive natural disaster from the super Typhoon before filming of this season started, it is almost ironic.

Is this 100% true? :'( :'( :'( If it is, I wish they'd visit the Philippines next season.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1103 on: March 22, 2014, 07:22:21 AM »
And given that they are reportedly replacement legs for the Philippines, which suffered a massive natural disaster from the super Typhoon before filming of this season started, it is almost ironic.

Is this 100% true? :'( :'( :'( If it is, I wish they'd visit the Philippines next season.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1104 on: March 24, 2014, 07:39:41 AM »
Have TAR crew ever thought about changing the sponsor (or has Travelocity ever considered quitting)? I've been told that Travelocity hasn't been doing well during these years.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1105 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:53 AM »
I'm sure this has already been asked in this thread, and I'm sorry for asking again, but what's the paper teams have taped on their steering wheels? The extra instructions that come in the envelopes?
I believe the papers are vehicle agreement notices. Rules of the car like no radio, no use of GPS, those sort of shenanigans.

They are "extra" instructions re how to go, speeding, etc. We have shots of some of these...

Here is an example from TAR 22 the second Botswana leg
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,28582.msg859428.html#msg859428

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1106 on: March 25, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
Oh :tu for finding that kiki!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1107 on: April 07, 2014, 01:58:02 AM »
1.) What if a team that won the 2 express passes prize used both of them? What penalty would they get?
2.) What if the camera crew is late? Let's say a team is suppose to depart at 3:55 AM, but no camera crew is present, maybe because they overslept.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1108 on: April 07, 2014, 03:01:56 AM »
1.) What if a team that won the 2 express passes prize used both of them? What penalty would they get?
2.) What if the camera crew is late? Let's say a team is suppose to depart at 3:55 AM, but no camera crew is present, maybe because they overslept.

1) I'm pretty sure that the task masters and producers wouldn't allow the team to use the second Express Pass and would just outright refuse to give them the next clue.  But in the event that it actually happens, they would probably be either forced to return to the task and complete it or be served a penaly equivalent of quitting the task.

2) Production probably have back-up crews ready. But if it happens, most likely a time credit would be given to the affected team at the next pit stop. A late camera crew is probably considered a 'production difficulty'.  :)
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1109 on: April 07, 2014, 05:30:31 AM »

1) I'm pretty sure that the task masters and producers wouldn't allow the team to use the second Express Pass and would just outright refuse to give them the next clue.  But in the event that it actually happens, they would probably be either forced to return to the task and complete it or be served a penaly equivalent of quitting the task.

2) Production probably have back-up crews ready. But if it happens, most likely a time credit would be given to the affected team at the next pit stop. A late camera crew is probably considered a 'production difficulty'.  :)

Thanks! :)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1110 on: April 07, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »

I'm pretty certain the team would be penalized for violation the rules on the express pass in addition to the penalty for not completing whatever task they skipped. Probably the 30 minute minimum plus the incomplete task penalty would be my guess. Late camera crew is far less likely since the crews usually don't sleep where the teams do, and can film the teams at the pit stop hotel location (which has happened more than once). Since camera crews are rotated every leg (known to be true in the early seasons, and no reason to think that has been changed) the odds of a camera crew oversleeping a team departure is unlikely (and a location crew films the pit stop departure in addition to the film crew that follows that team that leg.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1111 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:01 AM »

I'm pretty certain the team would be penalized for violation the rules on the express pass in addition to the penalty for not completing whatever task they skipped. Probably the 30 minute minimum plus the incomplete task penalty would be my guess. Late camera crew is far less likely since the crews usually don't sleep where the teams do, and can film the teams at the pit stop hotel location (which has happened more than once). Since camera crews are rotated every leg (known to be true in the early seasons, and no reason to think that has been changed) the odds of a camera crew oversleeping a team departure is unlikely (and a location crew films the pit stop departure in addition to the film crew that follows that team that leg.)

I see... Thanks! :)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1112 on: April 15, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »
This most likely wouldn't happen, unless the team wants their names on this record.
Is the team holding the EP allowed to let the EP expire, or are they required to use it on the 8th leg if they didn't use it on earlier legs?

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Talk too much.
« Reply #1113 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
I guess the EP will be expired then.
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1114 on: April 15, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
IIRC, Phil has said that the Express Pass has to be used by the 8th leg, not that the team has to use it no matter what. This is no different than the original form of the Fast Forward where teams could choose to win the Fast Forward once during the Race, but they weren't required to win a Fast Forward no matter what.

-- theschnauzers

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1115 on: April 28, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »
So, does anyone know what that...parade was that teams found the night before William Tell showed up?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1116 on: May 03, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »
Do teams carry their own cold weather gear or does production provide it on the required legs?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1117 on: May 03, 2014, 11:23:43 PM »
You should note that in cases of EXTREME weather conditions, either hot or cold,
the production might choose to (but does not obligate itself to) provide you
with additional clothing or protection from the elements.  Put simply: you
may face very hot and/or very cold weather conditions and will have to rely only
on what you yourself have packed.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1118 on: May 05, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
Does anyone know why Gary and Mallory were penalized for having maps in TAR18 Leg 8? Many teams have used maps to drive, and they weren't given a penalty.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1119 on: May 05, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
Offhand, it probably was prohibited for that particular task, or it was a kind of map that was off-limits for that task or that season. (I seem to recall there was a season where the producers decided to no longer provide any maps to the Racers forcing them to rely on other map sources, IIRC it was season 14.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1120 on: May 07, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »
In a leg with 2 roadblocks, in which the 2nd must be performed by the team member who sat out on the 1st, if a team disregarded this not rule/note intentionally, what penalty would they get? 30min, 4h, or others?

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #1121 on: May 07, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »
2 hours for incorrectly completing the Roadblock would be my guess.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1122 on: May 07, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »
In a leg with 2 roadblocks, in which the 2nd must be performed by the team member who sat out on the 1st, if a team disregarded this not rule/note intentionally, what penalty would they get? 30min, 4h, or others?

I think they would just flat out refuse to give the clue until the right person re-do, like for example see Rob & Kelley in S21, when the Rob did the Fallopian tubes roadblock wrongly, the person didn't give the clue and he had to re-do the roadblock.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1123 on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:55 PM »
Does anyone know why Gary and Mallory were penalized for having maps in TAR18 Leg 8? Many teams have used maps to drive, and they weren't given a penalty.

WAIT! :ascared They were penalized?
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1124 on: May 08, 2014, 01:34:01 AM »

WAIT! :ascared They were penalized?

It was actually in Season 17, during the Oman leg. They were eliminated so I guess the penalty didn't apply. 

Source: Wikipedia

^ Gary & Mallory incurred a 30-minute penalty for possessing and using maps, which was explicitly prohibited in the clue. Already in last place, they were eliminated without the penalty being applied.

But in their TV Guide exit interview they mentioned that Nat & Kat also had the same map, so why weren't the doctors penalized?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Races-Gary-1025631.aspx