December 21, 2014, 10:20:48 PM

Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 168095 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1125 on: March 19, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
Hi,

What I donít get is, why didnít they say anything about the missing Malaysian aircraft at the end of the show in Malaysia (ep. 4?) They have done similar things in the past.

I really like the show, but this omission bothers me.  :oh

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this.

The two times the show has mentioned a disaster on air that happened in a location between filming and broadcast were in 2004-05 when the show filmed in Sri Lanka before the Great Indian Ocean Tsunami and broadcast two episodes after that event, and in New Orleans for the Family Edition before Hurricane Katrina flooded that city and much of the nearby coastline.

They haven't directly mentioned it in a broadcast episode since. The Superstorm Sandy event that hit New York City and New Hersey was mentioned in a PSA, but not in the episode as broadcast in the US. The current situation with the Malaysia flight wasn't a natural disaster, and the origin and cause of that event is still undetermined. So I can understand why both CBS and WRP have not chosen to mention it in connection with this season's Malaysia legs. (And given that they are reportedly replacement legs for the Philippines, which suffered a massive natural disaster from the super Typhoon before filming of this season started, it is almost ironic.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1126 on: March 19, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
Did we get a Christchurch mention somewhere? I am remembering something more recent from somewhere...
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1127 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
Christchurch was mentioned when TAR held a leg there, but the earthquake wasn't during a period after filming and before boradcast of that episode. It was, instead, a leg filmed to promote tourism in that region, and that was a leg involving a PSA on CBS rather than a mention at the beginning of an episode filmed there before their earthquake and aired afterwards.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formerly known as Platinum
« Reply #1128 on: March 19, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »
And given that they are reportedly replacement legs for the Philippines, which suffered a massive natural disaster from the super Typhoon before filming of this season started, it is almost ironic.

Is this 100% true? :'( :'( :'( If it is, I wish they'd visit the Philippines next season.

Online Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Mega Altaria tho
« Reply #1129 on: March 22, 2014, 07:22:21 AM »
And given that they are reportedly replacement legs for the Philippines, which suffered a massive natural disaster from the super Typhoon before filming of this season started, it is almost ironic.

Is this 100% true? :'( :'( :'( If it is, I wish they'd visit the Philippines next season.
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity" - Nelson Mandela

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. " - Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1130 on: March 24, 2014, 07:39:41 AM »
Have TAR crew ever thought about changing the sponsor (or has Travelocity ever considered quitting)? I've been told that Travelocity hasn't been doing well during these years.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1131 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:53 AM »
I'm sure this has already been asked in this thread, and I'm sorry for asking again, but what's the paper teams have taped on their steering wheels? The extra instructions that come in the envelopes?
I believe the papers are vehicle agreement notices. Rules of the car like no radio, no use of GPS, those sort of shenanigans.

They are "extra" instructions re how to go, speeding, etc. We have shots of some of these...

Here is an example from TAR 22 the second Botswana leg
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,28582.msg859428.html#msg859428
Joab's TARA- Kiki & Co-racer. Hitting the BlackJack tables in Macau
Sam's race- Kiki & Philimination, Scrubling in Shibuya 7176JPY

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1132 on: March 25, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
Oh :tu for finding that kiki!!
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1133 on: April 07, 2014, 01:58:02 AM »
1.) What if a team that won the 2 express passes prize used both of them? What penalty would they get?
2.) What if the camera crew is late? Let's say a team is suppose to depart at 3:55 AM, but no camera crew is present, maybe because they overslept.

Offline Karpov617

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1134 on: April 07, 2014, 03:01:56 AM »
1.) What if a team that won the 2 express passes prize used both of them? What penalty would they get?
2.) What if the camera crew is late? Let's say a team is suppose to depart at 3:55 AM, but no camera crew is present, maybe because they overslept.

1) I'm pretty sure that the task masters and producers wouldn't allow the team to use the second Express Pass and would just outright refuse to give them the next clue.  But in the event that it actually happens, they would probably be either forced to return to the task and complete it or be served a penaly equivalent of quitting the task.

2) Production probably have back-up crews ready. But if it happens, most likely a time credit would be given to the affected team at the next pit stop. A late camera crew is probably considered a 'production difficulty'.  :)
"My goal is not to wake up at forty with the bitter realization that I've wasted my life in a job I hate because I was forced to decide on a career in my teens." - Daria Morgendorffer, Daria, "Gifted"

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1135 on: April 07, 2014, 05:30:31 AM »

1) I'm pretty sure that the task masters and producers wouldn't allow the team to use the second Express Pass and would just outright refuse to give them the next clue.  But in the event that it actually happens, they would probably be either forced to return to the task and complete it or be served a penaly equivalent of quitting the task.

2) Production probably have back-up crews ready. But if it happens, most likely a time credit would be given to the affected team at the next pit stop. A late camera crew is probably considered a 'production difficulty'.  :)

Thanks! :)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1136 on: April 07, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »

I'm pretty certain the team would be penalized for violation the rules on the express pass in addition to the penalty for not completing whatever task they skipped. Probably the 30 minute minimum plus the incomplete task penalty would be my guess. Late camera crew is far less likely since the crews usually don't sleep where the teams do, and can film the teams at the pit stop hotel location (which has happened more than once). Since camera crews are rotated every leg (known to be true in the early seasons, and no reason to think that has been changed) the odds of a camera crew oversleeping a team departure is unlikely (and a location crew films the pit stop departure in addition to the film crew that follows that team that leg.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1137 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:01 AM »

I'm pretty certain the team would be penalized for violation the rules on the express pass in addition to the penalty for not completing whatever task they skipped. Probably the 30 minute minimum plus the incomplete task penalty would be my guess. Late camera crew is far less likely since the crews usually don't sleep where the teams do, and can film the teams at the pit stop hotel location (which has happened more than once). Since camera crews are rotated every leg (known to be true in the early seasons, and no reason to think that has been changed) the odds of a camera crew oversleeping a team departure is unlikely (and a location crew films the pit stop departure in addition to the film crew that follows that team that leg.)

I see... Thanks! :)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1138 on: April 15, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »
This most likely wouldn't happen, unless the team wants their names on this record.
Is the team holding the EP allowed to let the EP expire, or are they required to use it on the 8th leg if they didn't use it on earlier legs?

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Jon & Jaclyn <3
« Reply #1139 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
I guess the EP will be expired then.
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1140 on: April 15, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
IIRC, Phil has said that the Express Pass has to be used by the 8th leg, not that the team has to use it no matter what. This is no different than the original form of the Fast Forward where teams could choose to win the Fast Forward once during the Race, but they weren't required to win a Fast Forward no matter what.

-- theschnauzers

Offline GB

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Team Number One!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1141 on: April 28, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »
So, does anyone know what that...parade was that teams found the night before William Tell showed up?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! It's not dead anymore!!
The Amazing Race section: 90% Complete!!
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Natalie <3
« Reply #1142 on: May 03, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »
Do teams carry their own cold weather gear or does production provide it on the required legs?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1143 on: May 03, 2014, 11:23:43 PM »
You should note that in cases of EXTREME weather conditions, either hot or cold,
the production might choose to (but does not obligate itself to) provide you
with additional clothing or protection from the elements.  Put simply: you
may face very hot and/or very cold weather conditions and will have to rely only
on what you yourself have packed.

Online Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Mega Altaria tho
« Reply #1144 on: May 05, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
Does anyone know why Gary and Mallory were penalized for having maps in TAR18 Leg 8? Many teams have used maps to drive, and they weren't given a penalty.
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity" - Nelson Mandela

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. " - Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1145 on: May 05, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
Offhand, it probably was prohibited for that particular task, or it was a kind of map that was off-limits for that task or that season. (I seem to recall there was a season where the producers decided to no longer provide any maps to the Racers forcing them to rely on other map sources, IIRC it was season 14.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1146 on: May 07, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »
In a leg with 2 roadblocks, in which the 2nd must be performed by the team member who sat out on the 1st, if a team disregarded this not rule/note intentionally, what penalty would they get? 30min, 4h, or others?

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chinsanity
« Reply #1147 on: May 07, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »
2 hours for incorrectly completing the Roadblock would be my guess.
Lee Lin Chin - National Treasure

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1148 on: May 07, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »
In a leg with 2 roadblocks, in which the 2nd must be performed by the team member who sat out on the 1st, if a team disregarded this not rule/note intentionally, what penalty would they get? 30min, 4h, or others?

I think they would just flat out refuse to give the clue until the right person re-do, like for example see Rob & Kelley in S21, when the Rob did the Fallopian tubes roadblock wrongly, the person didn't give the clue and he had to re-do the roadblock.

Offline Karpov617

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1149 on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:55 PM »
Does anyone know why Gary and Mallory were penalized for having maps in TAR18 Leg 8? Many teams have used maps to drive, and they weren't given a penalty.

WAIT! :ascared They were penalized?
"My goal is not to wake up at forty with the bitter realization that I've wasted my life in a job I hate because I was forced to decide on a career in my teens." - Daria Morgendorffer, Daria, "Gifted"

Custom Search