Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 405280 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1025 on: December 17, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
$1,000,000 fine I think?

I haven't seen the actual contract, but I've seen both $5 million and $10 million mentioned in the past. Whatever the number is now, it is a so-called "liquidated damages" provision to make it simpler to prove an amount, although the actual amount of damages is all of the costs of producing that season, so I wouldn't be surprised if the contracted amount now is higher.
-- theschnauzers

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1026 on: December 18, 2013, 06:31:31 AM »
They can't prove that they would have done better on the other leg though.

Let's say Dave & Connor survived on Leg 2, but withdrew during the Leg 2 pit stop period, with eight teams starting Leg 3. Leg 4 becomes non-elimination, with say Chuck & Wynona non-eliminated. In the next leg they u-turn John & Jessica to survive (logically using the last u-turn), and let's imagine in this case they don't have /or use their express pass.

If they could somehow prove that Leg 4 was somehow changed into a non-elimination leg, could they possibly sue on the grounds that if Chuck & Wynona weren't non-e, they wouldn't have needed to use the u-turn, and they could possibly survive Leg 5?

MrDeerShank

« Reply #1027 on: December 18, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
I think if they wanted to quit, they'd have to do it prior to the last team checking hin

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1028 on: December 18, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »
They can't prove that they would have done better on the other leg though.

Let's say Dave & Connor survived on Leg 2, but withdrew during the Leg 2 pit stop period, with eight teams starting Leg 3. Leg 4 becomes non-elimination, with say Chuck & Wynona non-eliminated. In the next leg they u-turn John & Jessica to survive (logically using the last u-turn), and let's imagine in this case they don't have /or use their express pass.

If they could somehow prove that Leg 4 was somehow changed into a non-elimination leg, could they possibly sue on the grounds that if Chuck & Wynona weren't non-e, they wouldn't have needed to use the u-turn, and they could possibly survive Leg 5?

I think the film clips shown during their season shows that Dennis and Conner did in fact decide to quit during the rest period, but accomodated the producers to fly to the next country, went to the pit stop and then were eliminated.

I'm not sure what different scenario you are trying to create. The producers can't change the planned elimination points and NELs.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Rachel Berry

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1029 on: December 18, 2013, 07:15:47 PM »
Is the elimination station still existing?
Jason & Amy to win TAR23

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1030 on: December 18, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »
I think I answered this a few weeks back. It depends on what you mean by the elimination station. Teams are still sent to a resort somewhere to spend 1-2 weeks until it's time for them to fly to the final city. Do they still film short video clips for TAR from wherever it is they are being kept? Not that I can see.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1031 on: December 19, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
In the Chinese version there is no elimination station though. Teams go home after their elimination.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • toast
« Reply #1032 on: December 19, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
^That is infinitely stupid because it makes the boot order ridiculously easy to spoil.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1033 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
Scenario:
While the teams are in the middle of racing, an earthquake happens in the country.
What will happen if this happens?
Lowkey lurking until TAR returns.
I'm back!!!
Slowly fading now that TAR30 filming is over.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1034 on: December 20, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »
Based on the Sahara sandstorm that interrupted filming in season one in Tunisia, and the blizzard that struck during filming in Siberian Russia of TAR 14 (leg 5; teams were on a train on the Trans-Siberian Railway as a rolling pitstop), my guess is that production would adjust that leg and/or the following leg; there have been "extended pit stops" on a couple of occasions due to production issues. There was also the apparent adjustment of legs and tasks when the teams last visited Phuket in Thailand; it's not clear if Phuket was the original primary location for those legs, or whether that was a complete substitution for legs in a different country; this is because teams were sent to Bangkok after teams had completed two roadblocks in Phuket.

So those are the things that have been observed in past seasons, and the logical deduction is that production would use similar responses in your hypothetical situation.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1035 on: December 31, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
Scenario 1: about fast forward
A team chooses to skip the fast forward and go to the next task (let's say it's a roadblock). This team goes to the roadblock and fails after several attempts.
Questions to this scenario:
1.) Is the team allowed to go back and perform the fast forward instead?
2.) If yes, what happens to the team's roadblock count?

Scenario 2: about u-turn
Let's say... there are 9 teams. They all bunched-up before the detour (let's say by means of a HoO). One team gets lost and was not able to perform either side of the detour. That team accidentally finds the u-turn ahead of all the other teams. (Note: They will definitely have to go back and perform the detour.)
Question to this scenario: Is the lost team allowed to use the u-turn before going back to either side of the detour?
I'm back!!!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #1036 on: December 31, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
A team chooses to skip the fast forward and go to the next task (let's say it's a roadblock). This team goes to the roadblock and fails after several attempts.

Let's say... there are 9 teams. They all bunched-up before the detour (let's say by means of a HoO). One team gets lost and was not able to perform either side of the detour. That team accidentally finds the u-turn ahead of all the other teams. (Note: They will definitely have to go back and perform the detour.)
Question to this scenario: Is the lost team allowed to use the u-turn before going back to either side of the detour?
SCENARIO 1: Yes, a team is allowed to take the Fast Forward anytime before the first task is completed on that Leg. The unfinished Roadblock penalty is nullified, but the count will be tallied.

SCENARIO 2: Most likely, the team will be smart enough to keep on searching for the Detour site, but if they follow the scneario, the skipped Detour will become a 12-hour penalty since well, they skipped the Detour. The U-Turn will still be in effect for the stalled team.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom... FULFILLED <3
----------------------------------------------------
TAR QUOTE OF THE MONTH November 2017
"I said to myself just don't look, just don't look. And I open my eyes and the canyon was right in front of me." ~Claire (from Brook & Claire; season 17, leg 8)

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1037 on: December 31, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
I would go further and say that an unclaimed fast forward may be taken at any point within the leg by any team which has not previously claimed one.

In TAR4 there were two legs where a team completed a task then went on to claim the fast forward which was prevoisly inaccessible (one because of geographical placement and one due to hours of operation).
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • toast
« Reply #1038 on: December 31, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
SCENARIO 2: Most likely, the team will be smart enough to keep on searching for the Detour site, but if they follow the scneario, the skipped Detour will become a 12-hour penalty since well, they skipped the Detour. The U-Turn will still be in effect for the stalled team.

Really said team must have had a Heather & Eve sized lapse in their logic to find the U-Turn and then proceed onwards instead of realising they skipped the Detour entirely :lol:

I would go further and say that an unclaimed fast forward may be taken at any point within the leg by any team which has not previously claimed one.

In TAR4 there were two legs where a team completed a task then went on to claim the fast forward which was prevoisly inaccessible (one because of geographical placement and one due to hours of operation).

When was this, could you enlighten me?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1039 on: December 31, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »

I mean: One team accidentally skips the detour, and finds a u-turn. Before going back to either side of the detour, are they allowed to use the u-turn?
I'm back!!!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1040 on: December 31, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »

I mean: One team accidentally skips the detour, and finds a u-turn. Before going back to either side of the detour, are they allowed to use the u-turn?

I don't think we've seen anything remotely like this since the advent of the U-Turn. We have seen teams skip a task and reach the pit stop by accident (Derek and Drew, TAR 3, Vietnam, for instance) and were sent back to properly find and complete the final task before they could check in. My guess is that the team would be penalized for not completing the detour task before reaching the U-Turn point; whether their use of the U-Turn would even count is an unknown. We've seen a couple of instances where a team selected a team ahead of them for the U-Turn, which effectively nullified it, but I don't know if there's anything that provides an answer.
-- theschnauzers

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1041 on: January 01, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »

But if a team quits a roadblock, it is a 4-hour penalty...

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • toast
« Reply #1042 on: January 01, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »

They didn't quit they just moved onto the FF...

Also this is allowed because Brandon & Nicole did it (though they failed the FF)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1043 on: January 02, 2014, 04:55:41 AM »

They didn't quit they just moved onto the FF...

Also this is allowed because Brandon & Nicole did it (though they failed the FF)

That's interesting...

Offline Karpov617

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1044 on: January 02, 2014, 05:45:40 AM »
Question! What place did Ethan & Jenna finished in TAR19, 10th or 11th? There's seems to be some conflict in the racer's Wikipedia pages. I believe it's 10th, how about you guys?
This is familiar. I'm having flashbacks of death and almost dying. That's wonderful. - Debbie, S07E03

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1045 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »
Question! What place did Ethan & Jenna finished in TAR19, 10th or 11th? There's seems to be some conflict in the racer's Wikipedia pages. I believe it's 10th, how about you guys?
10th. I remember Phil saying "You are 10th but it's a double elimination...." To Ethan & Jenna while the flight attendants were told the normal "your last, your out"

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1046 on: January 02, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »

When was this, could you enlighten me?

In leg 2, Steve and Dave arrived in Venice before 8:30 with most of the other teams and immediately performed the pathway/waterway detour.  They opted to take the FF which opened at 2pm; this still gained them hours over the other teams as the roadblock did not open until 5pm.

In leg 4, Tian performed the race car roadblock in LeMans.  The next morning in Marseilles, she and Jaree decided to take the FF.  I'm not sure when the FF clue was given in this leg, but a smart team would not count on backtracking all the way to LeMans should they not  succeed.
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • toast
« Reply #1047 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »
^Thanks :D

Offline aslpro

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #1048 on: January 02, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
Hey guys. Sorry if this is a total noob question. I was hoping to procure season 14 on DVD but wasn't able to find it anywhere. I notice that a lot of the earlier seasons are on DVD but not the later ones. Did they just stop making DVDs for seasons? Or are they just behind and they will all come out eventually?

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1049 on: January 02, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
Hey guys. Sorry if this is a total noob question. I was hoping to procure season 14 on DVD but wasn't able to find it anywhere. I notice that a lot of the earlier seasons are on DVD but not the later ones. Did they just stop making DVDs for seasons? Or are they just behind and they will all come out eventually?
They have made DVDs for Seasons 1 to 12 so far.
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity" - Nelson Mandela

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. " - Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

Custom Search