Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 405764 times)

MrDeerShank

Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #850 on: June 14, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
What things are on the extra piece of paper that teams receive in their clue? (ie The additional information)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #851 on: June 14, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
What I do know is that there is information sometimes regarding addresses of locations, where do be dropped off by a taxi, what entrance, and where to park when self driving. There is also more specifics on how to complete a task and step by step instructions along with what can and cannot be done.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #852 on: June 16, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »
Why did the producers or whoever is in charge of the tasks/routes change the U-Turn boards from photocopy (TAR12 - 18) to digital (TAR19 - current)? I find it really hard to see the pictures on the iPads when you watch it on TV like during the Lake Malawi's Jamaica Shop Double U-Turn. :(
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom... FULFILLED <3
----------------------------------------------------
TAR QUOTE OF THE MONTH November 2017
"I said to myself just don't look, just don't look. And I open my eyes and the canyon was right in front of me." ~Claire (from Brook & Claire; season 17, leg 8)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • toast
« Reply #853 on: June 18, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
I don't know if this has been asked but...

If you use the EP on the DT, can you be U-Turned?

My theory is no, because you have to choose a DT first and then you have to use the EP, you can't just magically conjure a clue from the Detour cluebox.

Thanks for your thoughts <3

MrDeerShank

« Reply #854 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »
I don't know if this has been asked but...

If you use the EP on the DT, can you be U-Turned?

My theory is no, because you have to choose a DT first and then you have to use the EP, you can't just magically conjure a clue from the Detour cluebox.

Thanks for your thoughts <3

The Wiki isn't helping in this friendly argument either

My theory is that it is because you're skipping the Route Marker when using the EP, so by using it, you're effectively skipping the entire Detour as you're using the EP on part of it, so when you get U-Turned there's no task to go back to as the EP has effectively let you skip the Detour

I think we've been arguing about this for about 20 mins and we just want an answer :lol:

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #855 on: June 18, 2013, 06:41:25 AM »
Just my spec: Isn't the Express Pass used to skip a TASK? You can't use it to skip a general Route Info clue, you can only bypass Active Route Infos. TASK =/= CLUE. So I think you should be able to be U-turned even if you've used it before the U-turn, because you only skipped one of the detour tasks, not both. Hasn't there been talk before of flushing Express Passes with U-turns?

Though peach or someone else probably has asked some former racer, I'm interested what others with actual info have to say :lol:
See ya never

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #856 on: June 18, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
A couple of points to consider. Teams are told ahead of time in that leg that a U-Turn is ahead.
A team can conceivably use the Express Pass at the point where they have to choose a Detour task; which would allow them to go to the next Route Marker. I would assume that would be the point at which they encounter the U-Turn sign, and if they're playing the Express Pass correctly, that team ought to be able to use a U-Turn on another team, or choose not to use it at all. Until the circumstances arise in a Race, I'm not entirely sure anyone except Bert and Elise can answer that question.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #857 on: June 18, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
I have another question that's not as stupid as my previous one, :res: .

What does it mean when there is "limited amount of flights" to a certain country? Phil said it during Pit Stop departures from Accra, Ghana to Kiruna, Sweden. Couldn't teams just take connecting flights from the UK, France or Germany into Kiruna?
"I said to myself just don't look, just don't look. And I open my eyes and the canyon was right in front of me." ~Claire (from Brook & Claire; season 17, leg 8)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #858 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
It could be a production imposed set of limited flights, or it could well be that the airlines have themselves only scheduled a limited number of flights out of that airport to international destinations.
The only way to tell is to check the online airline guides for that airport at that time of year to see whether it is a lack of flights or a producer imposed restriction. At least, Phil is acknowledging, one way or the other, that the Racers are faced with limited flight choices.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Karpov617

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #859 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »
My question: I know Maria & Tiffany who switched detours three times in Netherlands before they ended up quitting, but did anyone else switched as much as they have or more?
This is familiar. I'm having flashbacks of death and almost dying. That's wonderful. - Debbie, S07E03

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #860 on: June 27, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
My question: I know Maria & Tiffany who switched detours three times in Netherlands before they ended up quitting, but did anyone else switched as much as they have or more?

Two that come to mind, from my records:

Race 13 - In Boots or Borscht, Andrew and Dan switched to Borscht after encountering trouble with properly putting on their boots, switch back when they realized they'd have to put them on regardless, then switched once again when Dan could not correctly march.

Race 14 - Keisha and Jenn similarly had great difficulties with both sides of the Sync or Swim detour.
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #861 on: June 27, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »

Race 13 - In Boots or Borscht, Andrew and Dan switched to Borscht after encountering trouble with properly putting on their boots, switch back when they realized they'd have to put them on regardless, then switched once again when Dan could not correctly march.

Race 14 - Keisha and Jenn similarly had great difficulties with both sides of the Sync or Swim detour.
I remember Flo & Zach wanting to switch more than once during the second Vietnam leg, but that didn't really happen. :groan:

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • toast
« Reply #862 on: June 27, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »
Flo & Zach went Boats-Bikes-Boats IIRC.

Offline Karpov617

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #863 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »

:) WCPAMOTM, you got records?  :waves:
This is familiar. I'm having flashbacks of death and almost dying. That's wonderful. - Debbie, S07E03

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #864 on: June 28, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
Yes I do - to a degree. I'm a long-time lurked on various forums, and I've been watching TAR first-run episodes since race 1 ep. 2.  And thankfully, CBS rebroadcast ep. 1 very soon after.  I'm one of those nerds who began taking notes as soon as I started watching.  And while I haven't done a whole lot of original research myself, I have compiled and organized informations brought to the table by others.  So I have information synopses from many of the races.  It gets pretty spotty for about 15-20, but I plan to fix that during my current rematch project.
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #865 on: July 04, 2013, 07:30:59 AM »
If the Russian transit area of the airport is not considered Russian soil right, then how come Terence & Sarah were not allowed to re-enter Russia and run decoy?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #866 on: July 04, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »
If the Russian transit area of the airport is not considered Russian soil right, then how come Terence & Sarah were not allowed to re-enter Russia and run decoy?

Transiting Moscow uses up a Visa, so I would call it "Russia" too.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #867 on: July 04, 2013, 11:25:37 PM »

Transiting Moscow uses up a Visa, so I would call it "Russia" too.

So how come Edward Snowden was allowed to enter Russia without visa or passport?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:50:52 AM by redskevin88 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #868 on: July 04, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »
Because they are granting him Asylum. (maybe, tbd)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #869 on: July 08, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »
Who's that Amazing Race music composer that has a website of all his musical works? I'd love to view him.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #870 on: July 10, 2013, 12:43:12 AM »
Snowden was allowed to leave Hong Kong by the local authorities and at the time it was thought Wikileaks was arranging to get him from Moscow to, most likely, Ecuador as an asylum-seeker, and probably through a connection in Havana.

Then he got there, and it's hard to know what exactly was going on. I'm under the impression he has no visa to go into Russia, so he's in the transit area outside of passport control and has been since he got there. It appears he'll have his choice now of 2 or 3 Latin American countries, depending on which one he accepts. I suspect, though, that if he doesn't, the Russians are likely to ask him to fly elsewhere anyway.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #871 on: July 10, 2013, 06:35:21 AM »
Who's that Amazing Race music composer that has a website of all his musical works? I'd love to view him.

That would be Lee Sanders!

http://www.sandersmusic.net/SandersMusic/SandersMusic____MUSIC.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gamerfan09

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • #LookWhatYouMadeMeDo
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #872 on: July 14, 2013, 02:58:53 AM »

They actually switched more than three times. They kept switching until they couldn't do it anymore apparently.
"But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time
Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time
I've got a list of names and yours is in red, underlined
I check it once, then I check it twice (oh)"

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #873 on: July 14, 2013, 03:00:30 AM »
I think they tried to perform each detour twice , actually.
Freedom is a lonely road.

Offline gamerfan09

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • #LookWhatYouMadeMeDo
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #874 on: July 14, 2013, 03:02:56 AM »
I think they tried to perform each detour twice , actually.

OK then, that's four. Thanks Declive. :lol:
"But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time
Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time
I've got a list of names and yours is in red, underlined
I check it once, then I check it twice (oh)"

Custom Search