Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161277 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #825 on: June 02, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
It's well known that if teams interact with a local while on the race, production has to have the local sign a release forum in order to be able to use their footage on TV.

But what if teams interact with a child? Do they still get him to sign the release forum, or do they have to find the kid's parents or someone who's of legal age?

i think that depends on the location and circumstances. In any event, the show has been known to go back after filming and obtain a release from someone they didn't get initially, or in a circumstance like that one, from the legally empowered person.
-- theschnauzers

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #826 on: June 05, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
I watched an episode of Airport 24/7 and they talked about Global Entry. It is a prepaid service that allows you to go through customs more quickly and costs $100.

I wonder if you are allowed to use this during the race. I know it will not affect every leg (only US legs going through certain cities.) Just curious. Has anyone heard or read about teams using this?

There are also different variations of this in different countries, with some being free.

I could see this as a major advantage if used when entering these countries.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #827 on: June 05, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
It probably wouldn't work for a team unless the powers that be agreed to provide it to the camera and sound guys as well. Since you have to get a background check and be interviewed, you'd have to do it in advance before you know what camera and sound people you would be working with.  I kind of doubt the powers that be would do it, but I'll bet Phil and the production guys would have (already have?) that service just in case they get delayed and have to move quickly to stay ahead of the teams.

Still, if I were on one of the next couple of races, I'd be looking into that. If allowed, it would be a big leg up on the teams without it. However, I don't travel internationally, so I'm not sure just how long clearing customs takes and how much faster this would be.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:00:34 PM by Plaidmoon »

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #828 on: June 06, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
Good point. I forgot about the camera guys.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #829 on: June 07, 2013, 02:46:56 AM »
Global entry would only possibly impact on the legs coming back into the U.S. or anywhere around the U.S., which usually total not more than 1 in any amazing race season.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #830 on: June 11, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »
Why is Season 10's intro 5 seconds longer? Just seems weird

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #831 on: June 11, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
12 teams compared to the usual 11
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #832 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
I don't know if this has been asked before, but how long is the fastest leg filmed? I mean, in which leg was the entire leg (from the first team to depart until the last team to arrive check-in) had the shortest time filmed? :)
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #833 on: June 13, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Probably Botswana leg 2 of either TAR 7 or TAR 22
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline Ikurriņa

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #834 on: June 14, 2013, 06:37:49 AM »
The 2nd leg in India of TAR13

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #835 on: June 14, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
The 2nd leg in India of TAR13
I believe it's the correct answer. Nick & Starr departed at 8.55 a.m., and when the start of the next leg to Kazakhstan, they departed at 10.14 p.m., which means they arrive at PitStop at 10.14 a.m.
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #836 on: June 14, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »
That's just over an hour, wow. o.O

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #837 on: June 14, 2013, 07:31:09 AM »
That seems impossible for me :lol: I don't know, but that leg is really short.
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #838 on: June 14, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
Maybe it was an 11 hour pitstop or something?

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #839 on: June 14, 2013, 07:49:48 AM »
Maybe it was an 11 hour pitstop or something?

I think it's simply Nick/Starr pwnage.  :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Offline Kamineko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #840 on: June 14, 2013, 08:06:05 AM »
Guys, I meant that it's from the first team to depart until the last team to arrive in the Pit Stop. :)

But, I really can't believe that Nick & Starr ran just over an hour for a leg! :ascared
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

MrDeerShank

« Reply #841 on: June 14, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
What things are on the extra piece of paper that teams receive in their clue? (ie The additional information)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #842 on: June 14, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
What I do know is that there is information sometimes regarding addresses of locations, where do be dropped off by a taxi, what entrance, and where to park when self driving. There is also more specifics on how to complete a task and step by step instructions along with what can and cannot be done.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #843 on: June 16, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »
Why did the producers or whoever is in charge of the tasks/routes change the U-Turn boards from photocopy (TAR12 - 18) to digital (TAR19 - current)? I find it really hard to see the pictures on the iPads when you watch it on TV like during the Lake Malawi's Jamaica Shop Double U-Turn. :(
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #844 on: June 18, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
I don't know if this has been asked but...

If you use the EP on the DT, can you be U-Turned?

My theory is no, because you have to choose a DT first and then you have to use the EP, you can't just magically conjure a clue from the Detour cluebox.

Thanks for your thoughts <3

MrDeerShank

« Reply #845 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »
I don't know if this has been asked but...

If you use the EP on the DT, can you be U-Turned?

My theory is no, because you have to choose a DT first and then you have to use the EP, you can't just magically conjure a clue from the Detour cluebox.

Thanks for your thoughts <3

The Wiki isn't helping in this friendly argument either

My theory is that it is because you're skipping the Route Marker when using the EP, so by using it, you're effectively skipping the entire Detour as you're using the EP on part of it, so when you get U-Turned there's no task to go back to as the EP has effectively let you skip the Detour

I think we've been arguing about this for about 20 mins and we just want an answer :lol:

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #846 on: June 18, 2013, 06:41:25 AM »
Just my spec: Isn't the Express Pass used to skip a TASK? You can't use it to skip a general Route Info clue, you can only bypass Active Route Infos. TASK =/= CLUE. So I think you should be able to be U-turned even if you've used it before the U-turn, because you only skipped one of the detour tasks, not both. Hasn't there been talk before of flushing Express Passes with U-turns?

Though peach or someone else probably has asked some former racer, I'm interested what others with actual info have to say :lol:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #847 on: June 18, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
A couple of points to consider. Teams are told ahead of time in that leg that a U-Turn is ahead.
A team can conceivably use the Express Pass at the point where they have to choose a Detour task; which would allow them to go to the next Route Marker. I would assume that would be the point at which they encounter the U-Turn sign, and if they're playing the Express Pass correctly, that team ought to be able to use a U-Turn on another team, or choose not to use it at all. Until the circumstances arise in a Race, I'm not entirely sure anyone except Bert and Elise can answer that question.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #848 on: June 18, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
I have another question that's not as stupid as my previous one, :res: .

What does it mean when there is "limited amount of flights" to a certain country? Phil said it during Pit Stop departures from Accra, Ghana to Kiruna, Sweden. Couldn't teams just take connecting flights from the UK, France or Germany into Kiruna?
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #849 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
It could be a production imposed set of limited flights, or it could well be that the airlines have themselves only scheduled a limited number of flights out of that airport to international destinations.
The only way to tell is to check the online airline guides for that airport at that time of year to see whether it is a lack of flights or a producer imposed restriction. At least, Phil is acknowledging, one way or the other, that the Racers are faced with limited flight choices.
-- theschnauzers