Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161928 times)

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #700 on: January 23, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »
The randomness of the amount is the beauty of it.

Oh, I agree. I love it!

I was just curious if it was a calculated amount based upon the length of the leg and taxis needed.

I think it would be cool if it somehow referenced a former team or a past leg of another race.

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #701 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
What would happen if the Express Pass was used in an intersection task?

Most likely both teams would get to skip it... i say this because this happens when a fast forward is used as part of an intersection

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #702 on: January 24, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »
I have been watching all former seasons again and am curious as to how production comes up with the dollar amounts that teams are given at the beginning of each leg.

Why not $400 instead of $392?

This is just one of many questions in my head about TAR.

My understanding is that World Race Productions uses a sophisticated model including the cost of non-airplane transportation, food allowance etc. in local currency. They make an adjustment just before the beginning of a race to the current exchange rate for the local currency.

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #703 on: January 25, 2013, 12:24:45 PM »
Has any team ever lied to PRODUCTION about their occupation? I know some teams have lied to OTHER TEAMS  like Nary/Jamie and Maria/Tiffany did, but I've always wondered if anyone told production the wrong occupation.
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #704 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »
They are investigated top to bottom, production knows more about them than their mothers. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #705 on: January 26, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed as I know of, but has any teams in any edition arrived at the Pit Stop thinking they have claimed 1st place, but learned they were actually last or vice versa (thinking they were last, but learned they arrived in 1st)?

I've always wanted to see an expression like...
PHIL (OR ANY OTHER TAR HOST): _____ & _____... :stare
TEAM: Give us good news! *crosses fingers happily for first* :bounce :bounce
PHIL (O.A.O.TAR.H): You are the last team to arrive... :(
TEAM: *Lucy & Emilia's episode 4 "confuzzled" face*... WHAT?! :o :o
PHIL (O.A.O.TAR.H): I'm sorry to tell you that you've both been eliminated from the race. :(
TEAM: Are you joking?! Oh...my... how could this have happened? Like, I seriously don't know... :umn:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #706 on: January 26, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed as I know of, but has any teams in any edition arrived at the Pit Stop thinking they have claimed 1st place, but learned they were actually last or vice versa (thinking they were last, but learned they arrived in 1st)?

PHIL (O.A.O.TAR.H): I'm sorry to tell you that you've both been eliminated from the race. :(
TEAM: Are you joking?! Oh...my... how could this have happened? Like, I seriously don't know... :umn:

TAR3 in Scotland the last place team had won the ff and arrived last so there must have been some sort of shock.
i thought i remembered them knowing they arrived a half aday behind and ff couldn't do anything but make the leg easier

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #707 on: January 26, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »

TAR3 in Scotland the last place team had won the ff and arrived last so there must have been some sort of shock.
i thought i remembered them knowing they arrived a half aday behind and ff couldn't do anything but make the leg easier
Dennis & Andrew kind of saw that coming their way as they had a flight problem remembering Andrew's famous emergency call in Cancún, so I wouldn't say it was a total "O.M.G., what did we do wrong?!" moment. Factually, they were never currently in 1st any time on the race.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:09:34 PM by RachelLeVega »
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #708 on: January 26, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »

Along the lines of the FF, Mopper probably got a shock too. :(

Offline Loken

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #709 on: January 27, 2013, 07:03:34 AM »
I noticed that 8 legs had fastforwards..  :groan:
Creating Routes ~

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #710 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:12 AM »
I noticed that 8 legs had fastforwards..  :groan:

... which is actually better since the gameplay for FF is strategic! (should I go for it now or save it for later)

Too bad TAR obviously did not like this (or budget cuts)
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #711 on: January 27, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »

Not exactly. Dennis and Andrew had problems getting flights and arrived into London 8 hours later than the latest of the other AR3 teams. Gaining a few hours back by avoiding the tasks in Cambridge did not make enough difference to keep them out of last place.

Offline Loken

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #712 on: January 27, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
Due to budget issues they've cut down to 1 or 2 fast forwards? Oh. Thx
Creating Routes ~

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #713 on: January 27, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
Is there always a producer with each team, or are they only present at the detours and roadblocks?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #714 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:56 AM »

Not exactly. Dennis and Andrew had problems getting flights and arrived into London 8 hours later than the latest of the other AR3 teams. Gaining a few hours back by avoiding the tasks in Cambridge did not make enough difference to keep them out of last place.

I was thinking of a scenario without the FF coming into play similar to the Taiwan leg in TAR12 like...

Final 4 all at the Roadblock location... Brian & Angela (1st) departs RB *make your way to the Pit Stop* and takes a taxi to the Pit Stop and once they're out of sight, Steve & Mike (2nd), Stacy & Jenny (3rd), and Roger & Cathy (Last) finish the RB and race to the Pit Stop learning there was a quicker route by taking a city bus than taking a taxi during rush hour. Steve & Mike, Stacy & Jenny, and Roger & Cathy all reach the Pit Stop and then they were off the mat. Brian & Angela runs up unknowingly they are last (thinking they were 1st), but received the information and were eliminated with a speechless and shocked expression.

So to clarify, has any team dropped from 1st to last during the race to the Pit Stop, but thought they were first? :)

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #715 on: January 27, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »
Actually in seasons 1-4 there was a FF in every leg. That stopped in season 5 were they cut the numbers of FF in 2 and in later seasons ( after 12 I think) in only 1.

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #716 on: January 27, 2013, 11:05:31 AM »
Is there always a producer with each team, or are they only present at the detours and roadblocks?
each team has a cameraman and a sound guy and there are mounted cameras/mics + more cameramen at tasks and the pit stop

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #717 on: January 27, 2013, 01:09:55 PM »
Then 18 and 19 didn't have any, 20 had 3, and 21 had just one.

addie

« Reply #718 on: January 27, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
21 had 2 ;)

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #719 on: January 27, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »
each team has a cameraman and a sound guy and there are mounted cameras/mics + more cameramen at tasks and the pit stop
Thanks. I kind of figured that about the sound and video guys.

I just imagined there would be producers everywhere to ensure smooth roadblocks and detours and any airport mishaps.

Also, who calls for replacement cars i.e. when a teams car breaks down, who makes the call to get a new one?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #720 on: January 27, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »

I just imagined there would be producers everywhere to ensure smooth roadblocks and detours and any airport mishaps.

Also, who calls for replacement cars i.e. when a teams car breaks down, who makes the call to get a new one?
It's usually the cameramen who "walkie-talkie" the producers to send a replacement vehicle remembering Kent & Vyxsin's stickshift malfunction in Italy and Maria & Tiffany's (?) unstartable vehicle after the water for camels Roadblock in Dubai.

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #721 on: January 27, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »

It's usually the cameramen who "walkie-talkie" the producers to send a replacement vehicle remembering Kent & Vyxsin's stickshift malfunction in Italy and Maria & Tiffany's (?) unstartable vehicle after the water for camels Roadblock in Dubai.

Thanks for the info. It makes sense to have communication between the camera men and producers.

I wonder how many producers are available during any given leg and where they are during each leg???

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #722 on: January 27, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

I was thinking of a scenario without the FF coming into play similar to the Taiwan leg in TAR12 like...

Final 4 all at the Roadblock location... Brian & Angela (1st) departs RB *make your way to the Pit Stop* and takes a taxi to the Pit Stop and once they're out of sight, Steve & Mike (2nd), Stacy & Jenny (3rd), and Roger & Cathy (Last) finish the RB and race to the Pit Stop learning there was a quicker route by taking a city bus than taking a taxi during rush hour. Steve & Mike, Stacy & Jenny, and Roger & Cathy all reach the Pit Stop and then they were off the mat. Brian & Angela runs up unknowingly they are last (thinking they were 1st), but received the information and were eliminated with a speechless and shocked expression.

So to clarify, has any team dropped from 1st to last during the race to the Pit Stop, but thought they were first? :)

What about Andy & Tommy in Panama? *shrug*
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #723 on: January 27, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
Whoops, forgot about rat FF.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #724 on: January 27, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
One thing to mention about field producers during filming.
WRP (Bert, Elise, and company travel with the Race during filming and from what I've understood, they trying to cover the main tasks and pit stop traveling separately from Phil and the Racers. Phil also wears a producer hat, mostly for his stand-ups and perhaps the pit stops if the main production team has to get ahead to the locations for the following leg(s). Then there are local producers in each country that get that leg and its tasks set up for filming. They could be locals, could be based with WRP, or are hired from other places to come in and handle certain locations for the filming. (Remember the local producer who died in Uganda a year or so back? He was brought in to help set up and film the Malawi legs a couple of Racers ago and was based in South Africa, IIRC. Although his death wasn't when he was helping WRP, he was an example of a producer that helps out in a particular country for filiming.)
-- theschnauzers