Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 164229 times)

Offline Genius

• RFF Full Member
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #675 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
Random related question: Are racers allowed to go online and access their emails and social networking sites and write non-race related info? Or are they strictly banned from doing so?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #676 on: November 30, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »
No...no communication at all.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chinsanity
« Reply #677 on: December 06, 2012, 03:13:45 AM »
What did Phil get detained in Ukraine for?
Lee Lin Chin - National Treasure

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #678 on: December 06, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »

being amazing  :cmas16

Online AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #679 on: December 06, 2012, 04:46:55 AM »

being amazing  :cmas16

Was it during Season 10?
TARAS DVD SOON PLEASE!

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chinsanity
« Reply #680 on: December 06, 2012, 04:50:05 AM »

Online AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #681 on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:24 AM »

Was it during Season 10?

Yes.

Ooh, I just saw a video on TMZ.

Phil said that he was detained because he didn't have the right papers in immigration.  :cmas18

http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=d6732afb-8780-4449-93bf-985275cc9111#!id=0_qjhwouph
TARAS DVD SOON PLEASE!

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #682 on: December 06, 2012, 10:09:21 AM »

He didn;t have his papers with him. Luckily the American ambassador at the time was a huge fan of the show and got him released pretty quickly
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #683 on: December 06, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
It is my understanding that there was an ISSUE with the papers...something expired perhaps? There are several articles on this online.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Air

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chinsanity
« Reply #684 on: December 07, 2012, 12:07:06 AM »
Thanks everyone!  :cmas9 :cmas17 (Christmas Smiley Fun Time!  :cmas23 :cmas51 :cmastree :xmas110 :cmas19)

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #685 on: December 07, 2012, 08:54:52 AM »
What happened to that website where we could find really detailed results/progress of each team/leg? (Who finished the Roadblock first, in which order teams arrived to the route info...) It had I think seasons 5/6 to the current season (when I lost track of that website). I always found that site to be really interesting... :cmas5

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #686 on: December 07, 2012, 11:22:33 PM »
I'm wondering about this situation: in one elimination leg Team A successfully checked in while Team B was the last to arrive and thus got eliminated. But in the following 12-hour rest one member of Team A got badly injured and couldn't race for the next leg. In this case, would Team B return to the race and if they could, do they need to face a speed bump?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Online theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #687 on: December 08, 2012, 02:05:51 AM »
Super Tux, the way I understand it, once you're eliminated that's it; you can't come back in.

If the second team can get sufficient medical attention, no matter how far behind they are, they aren't eliminated unless they become the last team that hasn't checked in at an eliminationpoint, at which point Phil will either come to them, or rhey will get to the pit stop and be eliminated.
Bottom line no switching teams.
-- theschnauzers

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #688 on: December 08, 2012, 02:15:28 AM »
Super Tux, the way I understand it, once you're eliminated that's it; you can't come back in.

If the second team can get sufficient medical attention, no matter how far behind they are, they aren't eliminated unless they become the last team that hasn't checked in at an eliminationpoint, at which point Phil will either come to them, or rhey will get to the pit stop and be eliminated.
Bottom line no switching teams.

Reasonable.  :cmas16
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #689 on: December 10, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
In the French leg the teams got $500+

That leads me to my question:

Which leg did teams receive the most amount of money to start?
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline sapphirepit

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #690 on: December 10, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »
Can anyone provide detailed information on decoys?

Like how they run the race after they're eliminated, is it just teams that finish 6th or higher (or is it 5th)? Do they complete any tasks or just stand nearby? Are they just tossed into the city and just kind of run around far behind or in front of the other teams?

I know there was the editing issue where you see a previously eliminated team in the background of a challenge just watching.

Thanks y'all!

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #691 on: December 10, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »

Like how they run the race after they're eliminated, is it just teams that finish 6th or higher (or is it 5th)? Do they complete any tasks or just stand nearby? Are they just tossed into the city and just kind of run around far behind or in front of the other teams?

I know there was the editing issue where you see a previously eliminated team in the background of a challenge just watching.

Thanks y'all!

When and where!?
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #692 on: December 10, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »

Thanks y'all!

When and where!?

TAR13, Leg 10. When Andrew & Dan are doing their Speedbump in Russia, you can see Kelly & Christy in the background during one of the shots.

And AFAIK, the first few eliminated teams are sequestered in a resort/villa somewhere near the location of the first few legs (nicknamed "Elimination Station"). Once they get down to 6 teams or so, the eliminated teams travel with production because by the time they would arrive at Elimination Station, they would have to leave to go back to the US for the Finish Line.

I don't think they'll actually have decoy teams running the legs until they get back to the US.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #693 on: December 10, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »

Thanks y'all!

The short answer is..........Yes, all of the above.

Normally, the first 5 eliminated teams...11th-7th are sent to a villa somewhere in the world to wait out the race. So teams eliminated 6th, 5th, and 4th end up being decoys. If they were sent to the villa, they would just end up getting on a plane pretty quickly to the end city, so they follow production. Some are used as decoys and then are sent ahead to the end city to wait for the finale. It really just depends on circumstances of a particular race.

In TAR13, Kelly and Christi were filmed, while watching Dan and Andrew doing a speedbump (I believe), in Moscow. The poor girls really got a raw deal, lol. Terrance and Sarah, eliminated 5th, had used their Russian visas to make flights from India to Alma Almaty. So they couldn't re-enter Russia and were sent directly to Portland, so no decoy work for them. Then Toni/Dallas (eliminated 4th) were stuck in Moscow when Dallas left his passport in a taxi, no decoy work. Production ended up using some of the other eliminated teams to do decoy runs in Portland.

In TAR15, the Globetrotters and one other team ran up and down the Strip as decoys. The Poker Girls did some decoy work in Estonia.
Matthew 7:15

Online redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #694 on: December 10, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »
Terrance and Sarah, eliminated 5th, had used their Russian visas to make flights from India to Alma Almaty. So they couldn't re-enter Russia and were sent directly to Portland, so no decoy work for them.

So what would've happened if Terrance/Sarah had made the final 4? Would've they had to get new passports during that leg?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #695 on: December 10, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »
Terrance and Sarah, eliminated 5th, had used their Russian visas to make flights from India to Alma Almaty. So they couldn't re-enter Russia and were sent directly to Portland, so no decoy work for them.

So what would've happened if Terrance/Sarah had made the final 4? Would've they had to get new passports during that leg?

How long did it take the Rockers to get new passports and Russian exit visas?

American passports are easy to replace, especially on an emergency basis. You just go to the nearest American Consulate and get one. The problem is the Russian visas. You don't get them overnight. When Terrance and Sarah got on that flight to Moscow, to get to Alma Almaty, their race was over........whether they got eliminated in Alma Almaty or not.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:43:04 PM by DrRox »

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #696 on: December 10, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »

6 days
Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Online redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #697 on: December 10, 2012, 09:58:55 PM »

American passports are easy to replace, especially on an emergency basis. You just go to the nearest American Consulate and get one. The problem is the Russian visas. You don't get them overnight. When Terrance and Sarah got on that flight to Moscow, to get to Alma Almaty, their race was over........whether they got eliminated in Alma Almaty or not.

Was this brought up in the show? I don't remember.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #698 on: December 10, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »

6 days

Leafsfan,

Just an FYI, but that is what is called a rhetorical question.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #699 on: December 11, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »

There was nothing wrong with Terrance's/Sarah's passports. Passports are documents issued by a country to verify the identity of their citizens. So they didn't have to have their passports replaced.

Visas are issued by countries to a person that would like to enter. There are many different kinds of visas. Tourists, business/commercial, student, medical, etc. For US citizens to go to Russia, a traveler has to have an entrance visa and an exit visa issued by the Russian govt., before you arrive in Russia. Visas are usually rubber stamped onto a page in a passport with pertinent dates entered. In the case of TAR13, it was a one time entrance and a one time exit. T/S used up those visas when connecting through SVO on the way from India to Kazakhstan. They, in effect, unknowingly had self-eliminated. If they had not come in last, I suspect you would have seen Phil give them the speech that he gave to Toni/Dallas later in TAR13, Justin/Zev in TAR 15 and the Rockers in TAR21. Since they came in last, Phil's speech wasn't necessary.

What kind of visa a person needs and how restrictive it is, is usually determined by treaty between the two countries involved. In the case of TAR, all racers give their passports to Production several weeks before the race begins and Production takes care of acquiring all the necessary visas. This is probably done by WRP production assistants walking the passports to the various foreign consulates in Los Angeles. Production also gets visas of other countries, that they will not go to, to keep the racers in the dark about where they will actually travel.

Custom Search