Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 152910 times)

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #650 on: November 23, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »
Just want to clarify on penalties, do tell me if I get anything wrong.

If you skip both sides of the detour, you will get a 24 hour penalty? [Unlikely that this can happen now. Back in TAR1, the detour which Nancy and Emily skipped was purely a choice between 2 modes of transport, and there was no task master to intervene and prevent them from entirely skipping it.]

If you attempted at least 1 side of the detour, but there are some reasons that didn't allow you to complete it, you will get a 4 hour penalty, like Josh and Brent? But in the case of Maria and Tiffany, there was no such thing as a closing time for their detour options, and they are forced to quit and get eliminated? Did they technically get any sort of penalty?

What about driving past the speeding limit in legs where teams self-drive? It has not been given to any team since TAR2 (for US version).

What about quitting a roadblock? Is the 4 hour penalty applied right after you declare you quit, or 4 hours after the next team arrives? What if you're already the last team to arrive?

You're way off  :lol: .

The 24 hour penalty was the penalty for quitting a Detour (both sides) up until TAR 17. Nowadays the penalty is apparently 6 hours (which is the amount of time Nick & Vicki were given in TAR 17 in Hong Kong). Anyway, I haven't watched TAR1 yet.

Josh & Brent sure did get a 4-hour penalty for the pool having to close and them unable to complete it. I'm sure that would've been the case for the library side of the Detour as well. For Maria & Tiffany, they were just unable to complete their Detour because it was quite too physical for them. It was their decision to quit, they weren't forced.. although yes, they technically did get a penalty which was 24 hours at the time.

Teams don't self-drive as much anymore sadly, but Terence & Sarah were given a penalty for speeding by boat which consisted of 30 minutes. Same thing, I haven't watched TAR2 either.

The 4-hour penalty is applied right after they decide, I don't recall such rule of it being applied after the next team arrives?

Hope this cleared everything  :tup:

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #651 on: November 23, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
Just want to clarify on penalties, do tell me if I get anything wrong.

If you skip both sides of the detour, you will get a 24 hour penalty? [Unlikely that this can happen now. Back in TAR1, the detour which Nancy and Emily skipped was purely a choice between 2 modes of transport, and there was no task master to intervene and prevent them from entirely skipping it.]

If you attempted at least 1 side of the detour, but there are some reasons that didn't allow you to complete it, you will get a 4 hour penalty, like Josh and Brent? But in the case of Maria and Tiffany, there was no such thing as a closing time for their detour options, and they are forced to quit and get eliminated? Did they technically get any sort of penalty?

What about driving past the speeding limit in legs where teams self-drive? It has not been given to any team since TAR2 (for US version).

What about quitting a roadblock? Is the 4 hour penalty applied right after you declare you quit, or 4 hours after the next team arrives? What if you're already the last team to arrive?

You're close.

Sometime between Seasons 15 and 17 the penalty for quitting the Detour was shortened from 24 hours to 6 hours. With Josh & Brent's 4 hour penalty, I'm thinking it's due to each side being unavailable for completion, unless the penalty was shortened again.

Speeding has been an issue that has come up before more recently than Season 2. In All-Stars (Season 11) Kevin & Drew had production check to see if anyone sped. Terrence & Sarah got a penalty for speeding in Season 13, and I think that's the most recent.

The Roadblock rule is 4 hours after the next team arrives, unless you're the last team in which case it starts immediately. Now this rule might have also been changed since Season 7, but there is no evidence to think this I believe.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #652 on: November 26, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »
Is Episode 9 of TAR21 the first time in TAR history that every remaining team was on a DIFFERENT flight to the next destination?  :o

Offline Don Task

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #653 on: November 26, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »
Warning: Stupid question ahead!

How is it possible that Abbie & Ryan have booked two pairs of tickets from Moscow to Amsterdam? I always thought that they may book just one pair.  :duno:

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #654 on: November 26, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

How is it possible that Abbie & Ryan have booked two pairs of tickets from Moscow to Amsterdam? I always thought that they may book just one pair.  :duno:
Nope, the only season where teams could only buy one set of tickets is the first. :tup:

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #655 on: November 26, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
Is Episode 9 of TAR21 the first time in TAR history that every remaining team was on a DIFFERENT flight to the next destination?  :o

Nope. Season 6 Final Leg: Each team was on a different flight to both Honolulu and Chicago.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #656 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »

I am pretty sure that A/R only booked a 2nd flight from Frankfurt to Amsterdam. That was in case they missed the connection and if that 2d flight got booked up.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #657 on: November 27, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »

Yes. (For that number of teams only). It has been the largest spread-out ever. Including those that got to go to Larnaca!

Offline Paldog

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • US Winter Olympic Team - Sochi 2014 - Go America!
« Reply #658 on: November 27, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »

Yes. (For that number of teams only). It has been the largest spread-out ever. Including those that got to go to Larnaca!

I still wish that they went to Paris instead. :lol: (I like Texas a lot, but I think it would've been HILARIOUS.)
"I've heard her called a quitter for leaving, an aimless wanderer. But not all who wander are aimless. Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition; beyond definition; beyond the image." ― Mona Lisa Smile

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #659 on: November 27, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »

I still wish that they went to Paris instead. :lol: (I like Texas a lot, but I think it would've been HILARIOUS.)
exactly! i dont get y the chippies told them it was the wrong country i would have let them book tickets on another flight

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #660 on: November 28, 2012, 03:49:03 AM »
In all versions of TAR around the world, which team firstly nullified the U-Turn deliberately for strategic purposes? Is it
Show content
Summer & Eachen
from
Show content
CR2
who U-Turned a team way in front of them in order to save an ally team behind from being U-Turned?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Andy!
« Reply #661 on: November 28, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »
In all versions of TAR around the world, which team firstly nullified the U-Turn deliberately for strategic purposes? Is it
Show content
Summer & Eachen
from
Show content
CR2
who U-Turned a team way in front of them in order to save an ally team behind from being U-Turned?

Yeah i remember that.
"I don't drink. But when i do , i become another person. And that one , drinks a lot."

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #662 on: November 28, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
Are the racers allowed to take ipods on the race?

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #663 on: November 28, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
No

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #664 on: November 28, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »
No, no gadgets.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #665 on: November 28, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »
really? how do they keep themselves entertained.. and ik they can take a calculator.. techinically thats a gadget

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #666 on: November 28, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
Small calculator is okay, no GPS, Internet or other electronic devices...

My guess is that they are too tired to need entertaining. If they are good, they are spending every available second on researching flights, destinations and maintaining some sort of journal to help them with a memory task, if any!
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't Poke the Bear
« Reply #667 on: November 28, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
A calculator is not entertainment.

They keep themselves entertained by being on the greatest show on television. If that's not entertainment enough for them, they shouldn't be there.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #668 on: November 28, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »
A calculator is not entertainment.

They keep themselves entertained by being on the greatest show on television. If that's not entertainment enough for them, they shouldn't be there.

Clearly SOMEONE never typed 5318008 and turned it upside down when they were at school.. hours of fun!

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #669 on: November 28, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #670 on: November 28, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
true... i just dont see why an ipod wouldnt be allowed.. its not like it can help with translating or anything..

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • #lookatmyeyesroll
« Reply #671 on: November 28, 2012, 10:59:59 PM »
An iPod can be connected to WiFi, which would then serve as a function of an iPhone if Apps like Skype, Viper are downloaded.

Which will help them connect to their friends and family...

End of story.

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #672 on: November 29, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
o yea i only use mine for music so i forgot about that... what about any devices for playing music.. dare i say a walkman?

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #673 on: November 29, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »
o yea i only use mine for music so i forgot about that... what about any devices for playing music.. dare i say a walkman?

I don't think so.

I've always wished teams were allowed to bring cameras to take pictures.

Lol, if I were on the Race and I had my camera, I'd be like taking pictures of all the planes at the airport.  :)
TARAS DVD SOON PLEASE!

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #674 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:02 AM »
Free uploads at RFF! :lol3:

Custom Search