Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 128294 times)

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Welcome to the cloneverse.
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #625 on: October 19, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
Is there any team that voluntarily left the race not due to official reasons such as bad physical condition or knowing they were far behind the others? I know Summer & Eachan from CR2 are one example, who left the game because Eachan's grandfather was dying (if I'm not wrong). Just wanna know if there're other examples.

P.S. Beware the word "official" here, so
Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang
from CR3 are not counted in because they did not "officially" volunteer to leave the race, although the real reason hasn't been disclosed/verified.

Marshall & Lance in TAR5, leg 6 (Egypt).  They arrived in seventh place to the RB at the Habu Temple, after all the teams completed it; so they realized they were in last.  Also, one of them - I don't remember which one - had a leg injury that made him unable to keep racing.  As a matter of fact, this was the first time Phil eliminated a team on the ground and not at the PitStop.

Thanks for adducing such an example, but I'm afraid M&L's example could be classified as "leaving the race due to poor physical condition or being far away behind." I'm looking for examples that are NOT due to those reasons.  :)

Maybe Mary & Peach on TAR2?  I remember that they decided to do "their own PitStop" and to not perform the RB in Hong Kong. 
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains--however improbable--must be the truth." --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Chameleon777

• RFF Not So Newbie
The Amazing Race Canada
« Reply #626 on: October 21, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »
Here's a question that is definitely food for thought; why isn't there a version of The Amazing Race hosted by Phil Keoghan that Canadians can compete on?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #627 on: October 21, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
Ch
Here's a question that is definitely food for thought; why isn't there a version of The Amazing Race hosted by Phil Keoghan that Canadians can compete on?
The U.S. limitations are entirely due to the visa and entry requirements for those traveling on U.S. passports into other countries and conversely the requirements for nationals holding non-U.S. passports coming into the U.S.
It may also be that CBS still believes that U.S. viewers won't watch a competition show like TAR with Canadians or other nationals in the cast.
It may also be that no Canadian broadcaster has shown any interest in mounting a Canadian version of TAR.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #628 on: October 21, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »
Ch
The U.S. limitations are entirely due to the visa and entry requirements for those traveling on U.S. passports into other countries and conversely the requirements for nationals holding non-U.S. passports coming into the U.S.
It may also be that CBS still believes that U.S. viewers won't watch a competition show like TAR with Canadians or other nationals in the cast.
It may also be that no Canadian broadcaster has shown any interest in mounting a Canadian version of TAR.

CTV showed interest but decided against it. This was before a bid for the Olympics was lost to the CBC, so the idea might be revived again.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: The Amazing Race Canada
« Reply #629 on: October 21, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »

If Canada would get their own version I think that they should get their own host...

Online Jimmer

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Sarah the Cedar Rapids Native <3
Re: The Amazing Race Canada
« Reply #630 on: October 21, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »

If Canada would get their own version I think that they should get their own host...

Yeah, I would think so as well.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #631 on: October 21, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »
Is there any team that voluntarily left the race not due to official reasons such as bad physical condition or knowing they were far behind the others? I know Summer & Eachan from CR2 are one example, who left the game because Eachan's grandfather was dying (if I'm not wrong). Just wanna know if there're other examples.

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang
from CR3 are not counted in because they did not "officially" volunteer to leave the race, although the real reason hasn't been disclosed/verified.

Marshall & Lance in TAR5, leg 6 (Egypt).  They arrived in seventh place to the RB at the Habu Temple, after all the teams completed it; so they realized they were in last.  Also, one of them - I don't remember which one - had a leg injury that made him unable to keep racing.  As a matter of fact, this was the first time Phil eliminated a team on the ground and not at the PitStop.

Thanks for adducing such an example, but I'm afraid M&L's example could be classified as "leaving the race due to poor physical condition or being far away behind." I'm looking for examples that are NOT due to those reasons.  :)

Maybe Mary & Peach on TAR2?  I remember that they decided to do "their own PitStop" and to not perform the RB in Hong Kong.

I haven't watched that season. Wikipedia says that in that season "Peggy & Claire, Shola & Doyin, and Mary & Peach had each fallen so far behind the other teams in their respective elimination legs that they ended up not completing all the tasks set out for them. Instead, they were instructed to go directly to their respective Pit Stops, where they were each eliminated." Then it is the case that teams were far away behind the others.  :duno:
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Online Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Welcome to the cloneverse.
« Reply #632 on: October 21, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang

I haven't watched that season. Wikipedia says that in that season "Peggy & Claire, Shola & Doyin, and Mary & Peach had each fallen so far behind the other teams in their respective elimination legs that they ended up not completing all the tasks set out for them. Instead, they were instructed to go directly to their respective Pit Stops, where they were each eliminated." Then it is the case that teams were far away behind the others.  :duno:

One of them failed to complete the tea Detour of that leg and get sick for the amount of cups she drunk attempting to perform it.  So they went to a cafeteria or restaurant and did the PS thing.  I remember I read somewhere that this thing cost money to the production for the extra hours of recording.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains--however improbable--must be the truth." --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Nobita

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #633 on: October 31, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
Hi, I'm a newbie here.  :)
My question is:
How much hours is far behind the last team to arrive at the pit stop?
Another question is: what was the biggest time difference between the first team to depart and the last team to depart?

Offline Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #634 on: October 31, 2012, 11:26:03 PM »
Hi, I'm a newbie here.  :)
My question is:
How much hours is far behind the last team to arrive at the pit stop?
Another question is: what was the biggest time difference between the first team to depart and the last team to depart?

Welcome!  :hello2:

I think I can answer your second question. In season 11 the next leg had started before some teams from the last leg even checked in so 12+ hours.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #635 on: October 31, 2012, 11:52:03 PM »
The biggest lead that I'm aware of in starting a leg is actually in season one in China and Alaska. The third place team (Team Guido) left the pit stop in Beijing over 24 hours behind the first and second place team to start the 12th leg, and were had just started the final leg when the other teams reached the finish mat.

As to the other question, the "pity" clue directing the last team to the pit stop is only given out when all other teams have checked in, and the last team has not yet reach a cluebox prior to the final clue that would send them to the pit stop; thus cutting out all other remaining tasks. This was not done when Phil has had to go to the location of that team to eliminate them on the spot, or a team quit. Neither of these things happen when the leg is a non-elimination leg; the last place team is always encouraged to complete the leg.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:56:48 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Nobita

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #636 on: November 01, 2012, 12:00:04 AM »
Thank you for your answer, Leafsfan and theshnauzers. :)
Especially in the early season, when the vehicles provided are not sponsored, racers often encounter problems with their provided vehicles. Were the production crews deliberately tempering the vehicles to create more drama?

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #637 on: November 01, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang

One of them failed to complete the tea Detour of that leg and get sick for the amount of cups she drunk attempting to perform it.  So they went to a cafeteria or restaurant and did the PS thing.  I remember I read somewhere that this thing cost money to the production for the extra hours of recording.

Now I see. Thanks! :tup:
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #638 on: November 07, 2012, 01:40:22 AM »
Which team in the has the record for the most consecutive 'Team #1'?

I'm curious to know as I've been re-watching TARAUS2 and Paul & Steve won 5 legs in a row....

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #639 on: November 07, 2012, 01:53:51 AM »

I'm curious to know as I've been re-watching TARAUS2 and Paul & Steve won 5 legs in a row....

If faux-pitstops are not involved, then Marc and Rovilson from TARAsia2 did a back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back 1st place finishes (7 in a row, that is! :lol:)

If faux-pitstops are considered pitstops, then no. They had a 2nd place somewhere between those wins

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #640 on: November 07, 2012, 03:15:38 AM »

For the US TAR version, I think it's 4.

Nick & Starr, Meghan & Cheyne and Rachel & Dave have had a 4 leg streak of "Team #1".
TARAS DVD SOON PLEASE!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #641 on: November 07, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »

For the US TAR version, I think it's 4.

Nick & Starr, Meghan & Cheyne and Rachel & Dave have had a 4 leg streak of "Team #1".

I have the same data posted in one of the Ranking the Teams threads.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #642 on: November 13, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
In TAR 13, there was a challenge where the teams had to look for their next destination in newspapers delivered to them. Didn't the previous season, 12, do that same exact challenge?

Offline Ikurriña

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Liz & Marie 4ever!
« Reply #643 on: November 13, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
In TAR 13, there was a challenge where the teams had to look for their next destination in newspapers delivered to them. Didn't the previous season, 12, do that same exact challenge?

Yes. In S12 it was in India and in S13 it was in Bolivia.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »
I want the race to do that agian, but have a secre Fast Forward clue hidden in the newspaper along with a normal route info.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Easter!
    • My LDS Mission Blog
« Reply #645 on: November 17, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
Thank you for your answer, Leafsfan and theshnauzers. :)
Especially in the early season, when the vehicles provided are not sponsored, racers often encounter problems with their provided vehicles. Were the production crews deliberately tempering the vehicles to create more drama?

Hm. That is an interesting question! I thought about that myself when watching TAR 10! It seems like Rob & Kimberly had a bad car almost every single leg! :lol:

Unfortunately I don't have an adequate answer for you...anyone else have one? :duno:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #646 on: November 17, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
Production did not deliberately sabotage vehicles. However, if a provided vehicle had defects, production did not necessarily know about it, either. There was a policy that if a vehicle provided to the Racers became inoperable (could not be repaired), a replacement vehicle would be provided, but the team would not receive any time credit for time lost, whether the damage was caused by the Racers or not. (for instance, TAR 3 Dieselgate, TAR 6 in Hungary with Cold War era automobiles)
-- theschnauzers

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #647 on: November 19, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »
I have questoin why does the caremen have packbags

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't Poke the Bear
« Reply #648 on: November 19, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »
I have questoin why does the caremen have packbags

Probably to carry extra batteries and tape/discs/memory cards for their cameras. :duno:

Offline Genius

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #649 on: November 23, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
Just want to clarify on penalties, do tell me if I get anything wrong.

If you skip both sides of the detour, you will get a 24 hour penalty? [Unlikely that this can happen now. Back in TAR1, the detour which Nancy and Emily skipped was purely a choice between 2 modes of transport, and there was no task master to intervene and prevent them from entirely skipping it.]

If you attempted at least 1 side of the detour, but there are some reasons that didn't allow you to complete it, you will get a 4 hour penalty, like Josh and Brent? But in the case of Maria and Tiffany, there was no such thing as a closing time for their detour options, and they are forced to quit and get eliminated? Did they technically get any sort of penalty?

What about driving past the speeding limit in legs where teams self-drive? It has not been given to any team since TAR2 (for US version).

What about quitting a roadblock? Is the 4 hour penalty applied right after you declare you quit, or 4 hours after the next team arrives? What if you're already the last team to arrive?

Custom Search