Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161372 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #600 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »
No. They submit their passports, and production obtains all the visas, including a few they won't need, lol.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline bunny08

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #601 on: October 15, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
If racers have questions about rules during the race, who can they ask? I wonder because on the bicycle/cart ride last night could one team member switch with the biker and power the cart? My husband is 6'7 300lbs of muscle and I can't imagine someone being able to pedal him quickly. During the race tonight he asked if we were racing, could I stay in the cart and sit with the little guy while my husband rode the bike? How would we know if that was legal on the race and we wouldn't incur a penalty?

Also, if anyone knows...What the heck was that around Rob's waist on the pit stop mat?? Looked like a band with latex gloves on the hip.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #602 on: October 15, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
No. They submit their passports, and production obtains all the visas, including a few they won't need, lol.

Then my source is totally wrong (:;) :lol: Thank you, peach
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #603 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:05 AM »
I have a question. When is peach going on this show?  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #604 on: October 16, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #605 on: October 17, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
Speaking of Peach applying, who here has applied? Other than previous racers visiting this thread, obviously.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #606 on: October 17, 2012, 03:55:10 PM »
Speaking of Peach applying, who here has applied? Other than previous racers visiting this thread, obviously.

I applied for Series 2 of China Rush, the only edition I'm eligible for! In the end, they decided to cast only people who could make it to the Shanghai auditions so we didn't have a shot :(

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #607 on: October 17, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
Do the male racers shave their legs?

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #608 on: October 19, 2012, 03:38:15 AM »
What is the longest flight in TAR history?

JFK-JNB (Season 1)?
FRA-KUL (Season 11)?

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #609 on: October 19, 2012, 04:10:17 AM »
Is there any team that voluntarily left the race not due to official reasons such as bad physical condition or knowing they were far behind the others? I know Summer & Eachan from CR2 are one example, who left the game because Eachan's grandfather was dying (if I'm not wrong). Just wanna know if there're other examples.

P.S. Beware the word "official" here, so
Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang
from CR3 are not counted in because they did not "officially" volunteer to leave the race, although the real reason hasn't been disclosed/verified.

Marshall & Lance in TAR5, leg 6 (Egypt).  They arrived in seventh place to the RB at the Habu Temple, after all the teams completed it; so they realized they were in last.  Also, one of them - I don't remember which one - had a leg injury that made him unable to keep racing.  As a matter of fact, this was the first time Phil eliminated a team on the ground and not at the PitStop.

Thanks for adducing such an example, but I'm afraid M&L's example could be classified as "leaving the race due to poor physical condition or being far away behind." I'm looking for examples that are NOT due to those reasons.  :)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #610 on: October 19, 2012, 06:27:06 AM »
What is the longest flight in TAR history?

JFK-JNB (Season 1)?
FRA-KUL (Season 11)?

Was there a straight JFK-JNB? Wasn't there stops in MXP & CDG & FRA?

I think GRU-FRA or LAX-SYD maybe.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2012, 09:28:06 AM »
It's close. Here is the list of nautical miles distances between the city pairs indicated above:

JFK JNB 6877
LAX SYD 6508
FRA KUL 5377
GRU FRA 5272

There currently are nonstop JFK to JNB flights, but it is unclear whether they existed in the spring of 2001. My guess is that they did exist. However, there were 3 separate flights out of JFK that AR1 teams were placed on, so only one of those was possibly nonstop. There likely were 3 flights to major European hubs like LHR, CDG or FRA that were also used, with connections from there nonstop to Johannesburg.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:41:22 AM by apskip »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »
Yes, there was a direct South African Airlines, a Swiss Air via Zurich, and an Alitalia via Milan.

There's no way I'll forget the first appearance of the Amazing Yellow Line!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »
I thought all the SAA direct flights from JFK to JNB made short fuel stops in Accra, Ghana.

I actually asked one of the racers on that flight and they confirmed it was non stop, JFK to JNB.

It really is a pity that the flightstats database doesnt go back that far to check SA2 on March 8, 2001, TAR's first flight.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:36:41 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
Is there any team that voluntarily left the race not due to official reasons such as bad physical condition or knowing they were far behind the others? I know Summer & Eachan from CR2 are one example, who left the game because Eachan's grandfather was dying (if I'm not wrong). Just wanna know if there're other examples.

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang
from CR3 are not counted in because they did not "officially" volunteer to leave the race, although the real reason hasn't been disclosed/verified.

Marshall & Lance in TAR5, leg 6 (Egypt).  They arrived in seventh place to the RB at the Habu Temple, after all the teams completed it; so they realized they were in last.  Also, one of them - I don't remember which one - had a leg injury that made him unable to keep racing.  As a matter of fact, this was the first time Phil eliminated a team on the ground and not at the PitStop.

Thanks for adducing such an example, but I'm afraid M&L's example could be classified as "leaving the race due to poor physical condition or being far away behind." I'm looking for examples that are NOT due to those reasons.  :)

Maybe Mary & Peach on TAR2?  I remember that they decided to do "their own PitStop" and to not perform the RB in Hong Kong. 
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Chameleon777

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #615 on: October 21, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »
Here's a question that is definitely food for thought; why isn't there a version of The Amazing Race hosted by Phil Keoghan that Canadians can compete on?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #616 on: October 21, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
Ch
Here's a question that is definitely food for thought; why isn't there a version of The Amazing Race hosted by Phil Keoghan that Canadians can compete on?
The U.S. limitations are entirely due to the visa and entry requirements for those traveling on U.S. passports into other countries and conversely the requirements for nationals holding non-U.S. passports coming into the U.S.
It may also be that CBS still believes that U.S. viewers won't watch a competition show like TAR with Canadians or other nationals in the cast.
It may also be that no Canadian broadcaster has shown any interest in mounting a Canadian version of TAR.
-- theschnauzers

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #617 on: October 21, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »

If Canada would get their own version I think that they should get their own host...

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #618 on: October 21, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »

If Canada would get their own version I think that they should get their own host...

Yeah, I would think so as well.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #619 on: October 21, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang

Maybe Mary & Peach on TAR2?  I remember that they decided to do "their own PitStop" and to not perform the RB in Hong Kong.

I haven't watched that season. Wikipedia says that in that season "Peggy & Claire, Shola & Doyin, and Mary & Peach had each fallen so far behind the other teams in their respective elimination legs that they ended up not completing all the tasks set out for them. Instead, they were instructed to go directly to their respective Pit Stops, where they were each eliminated." Then it is the case that teams were far away behind the others.  :duno:
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #620 on: October 21, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang

I haven't watched that season. Wikipedia says that in that season "Peggy & Claire, Shola & Doyin, and Mary & Peach had each fallen so far behind the other teams in their respective elimination legs that they ended up not completing all the tasks set out for them. Instead, they were instructed to go directly to their respective Pit Stops, where they were each eliminated." Then it is the case that teams were far away behind the others.  :duno:

One of them failed to complete the tea Detour of that leg and get sick for the amount of cups she drunk attempting to perform it.  So they went to a cafeteria or restaurant and did the PS thing.  I remember I read somewhere that this thing cost money to the production for the extra hours of recording.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Nobita

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #621 on: October 31, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
Hi, I'm a newbie here.  :)
My question is:
How much hours is far behind the last team to arrive at the pit stop?
Another question is: what was the biggest time difference between the first team to depart and the last team to depart?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #622 on: October 31, 2012, 11:52:03 PM »
The biggest lead that I'm aware of in starting a leg is actually in season one in China and Alaska. The third place team (Team Guido) left the pit stop in Beijing over 24 hours behind the first and second place team to start the 12th leg, and were had just started the final leg when the other teams reached the finish mat.

As to the other question, the "pity" clue directing the last team to the pit stop is only given out when all other teams have checked in, and the last team has not yet reach a cluebox prior to the final clue that would send them to the pit stop; thus cutting out all other remaining tasks. This was not done when Phil has had to go to the location of that team to eliminate them on the spot, or a team quit. Neither of these things happen when the leg is a non-elimination leg; the last place team is always encouraged to complete the leg.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:56:48 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Nobita

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #623 on: November 01, 2012, 12:00:04 AM »
Thank you for your answer, Leafsfan and theshnauzers. :)
Especially in the early season, when the vehicles provided are not sponsored, racers often encounter problems with their provided vehicles. Were the production crews deliberately tempering the vehicles to create more drama?

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #624 on: November 01, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang

One of them failed to complete the tea Detour of that leg and get sick for the amount of cups she drunk attempting to perform it.  So they went to a cafeteria or restaurant and did the PS thing.  I remember I read somewhere that this thing cost money to the production for the extra hours of recording.

Now I see. Thanks! :tup:
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。