Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 128396 times)

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #600 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »
It better never end.
It will never end, because eventually its a race around the universe.
Nice i heard phil talk about going to mars on season 50,if that gets your hopes up.
TAR24 - Dave & Connor, Afganimals
Survivor Cagayan - Tony, Spencer
MKR5 - Greek Twins, Surfer Dads,
BBCan2 - Sabrina

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #601 on: October 04, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
I would have trouble remembering all the team names.  :stare
TARAS DVD SOON PLEASE!

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #602 on: October 04, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »
Another question, can you find application videos of accepted teams anywhere online? Not necessarily just from this season, but just in general. I'd be interested in watching them.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't Poke the Bear
« Reply #603 on: October 04, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
Search YouTube... I know Zev & Justin's is there, and maybe a couple others.

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #604 on: October 04, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »
Another question, can you find application videos of accepted teams anywhere online? Not necessarily just from this season, but just in general. I'd be interested in watching them.
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27048.0.html

Offline Theodorus

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • A million dollars? Drink with Jamy after the show?
« Reply #605 on: October 06, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
I have another question. Which was the shortest leg in the history of TAR? I mean one leg from Pit Stop to Pit Stop. Does it take only few hours? I heard the second leg in India from TAR 13 was a really short leg?
TAR Greece: Soon. DTAR 2: Soon
#FF7F50

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #606 on: October 07, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
Theodorus:

The leg you suggested is AR13, Ep. 7. Here are its major tasks (not in order):

DETOUR-follow a series of power lines, keeping mark of numbered tags hanging from power lines in Nai Sarak Street, report these numbers to
power company official, plugged in musical Ganesh statue to receive next clue in New India Stationers in Chawri Bazar or find store
named Ram Bhandar in spice market, transport 40-pound bags of chili peppers to location 1/4 mile away in Shwan Kumar and Sons,
 then grind them into chili powder with mortar and pestle to receive next clue
ROADBLOCK-find envelope marked "The Amazing Race" among several marked "Try Again" raised on ladders amongst celebrators of Holi, Festival of colours, while being bombarded with traditional colored dyes and water
GENERAL-Speed Bump task required Ken & Tina to serve holy water to hundreds of Sikhs at Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib (at site in Chandni Chowk
area of Old Delhi) until they satisfied waiting crowd

I have looked at other very short legs, but when the beginning transportation is factored in they can become very long legs. So I think that transportation is a key part. The double legs in the same city avoid that issue. Here are one worth considering:

AR12, Ep. 4 Burkina Faso near Ouagadougou
DETOUR-use traditional methods to pan for 1 ounce of gold; they can trade their gold after weighing, at nearby tent, for next clue or learn traditional local dance, perform it in front of 3 local celebrity judges, crowd of locals; teams must some of own their own dance moves; lack of creativity or bad performance will incur teams 10 minute penalty
ROADBLOCK-ride bicycle, deliver large amount of cumbersome goods, including small goat; deliver items to specific people stated in clue at nearby market
GENERAL-look for village chief, accept gift of live chicken from him, which they then had to take throughout the leg to Pit Stop

I also looked at several other double legs/same city to see if the second one was particularly short. I did not find out additional one beyond the one above.

This is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" judgments, as we do not have access to any filming duration information from World Race Productions.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:57:18 PM by apskip »

Offline Theodorus

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #607 on: October 07, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
Thank you, apskip :hugs:
#FF7F50

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #608 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:25 AM »
Is there any team that voluntarily left the race not due to official reasons such as bad physical condition or knowing they were far behind the others? I know Summer & Eachan from CR2 are one example, who left the game because Eachan's grandfather was dying (if I'm not wrong). Just wanna know if there're other examples.

P.S. Beware the word "official" here, so
Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang
from CR3 are not counted in because they did not "officially" volunteer to leave the race, although the real reason hasn't been disclosed/verified.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Welcome to the cloneverse.
« Reply #609 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »
Is there any team that voluntarily left the race not due to official reasons such as bad physical condition or knowing they were far behind the others? I know Summer & Eachan from CR2 are one example, who left the game because Eachan's grandfather was dying (if I'm not wrong). Just wanna know if there're other examples.

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang
from CR3 are not counted in because they did not "officially" volunteer to leave the race, although the real reason hasn't been disclosed/verified.

Marshall & Lance in TAR5, leg 6 (Egypt).  They arrived in seventh place to the RB at the Habu Temple, after all the teams completed it; so they realized they were in last.  Also, one of them - I don't remember which one - had a leg injury that made him unable to keep racing.  As a matter of fact, this was the first time Phil eliminated a team on the ground and not at the PitStop.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains--however improbable--must be the truth." --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Theodorus

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #610 on: October 15, 2012, 09:50:01 AM »
How do teams apply for visa? I read somewhere that they were given list of countries by production team, and they were instructed to apply for visa from all the countries. Is that true?
#FF7F50

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #611 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »
No. They submit their passports, and production obtains all the visas, including a few they won't need, lol.
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline bunny08

• RFF Not So Newbie
Question about race rules
« Reply #612 on: October 15, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
If racers have questions about rules during the race, who can they ask? I wonder because on the bicycle/cart ride last night could one team member switch with the biker and power the cart? My husband is 6'7 300lbs of muscle and I can't imagine someone being able to pedal him quickly. During the race tonight he asked if we were racing, could I stay in the cart and sit with the little guy while my husband rode the bike? How would we know if that was legal on the race and we wouldn't incur a penalty?

Also, if anyone knows...What the heck was that around Rob's waist on the pit stop mat?? Looked like a band with latex gloves on the hip.

Offline Theodorus

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #613 on: October 15, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
No. They submit their passports, and production obtains all the visas, including a few they won't need, lol.

Then my source is totally wrong (:;) :lol: Thank you, peach
#FF7F50

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #614 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:05 AM »
I have a question. When is peach going on this show?  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #615 on: October 16, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #616 on: October 17, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
Speaking of Peach applying, who here has applied? Other than previous racers visiting this thread, obviously.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #617 on: October 17, 2012, 03:55:10 PM »
Speaking of Peach applying, who here has applied? Other than previous racers visiting this thread, obviously.

I applied for Series 2 of China Rush, the only edition I'm eligible for! In the end, they decided to cast only people who could make it to the Shanghai auditions so we didn't have a shot :(

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #618 on: October 17, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
Do the male racers shave their legs?

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #619 on: October 19, 2012, 03:38:15 AM »
What is the longest flight in TAR history?

JFK-JNB (Season 1)?
FRA-KUL (Season 11)?
TARAS DVD SOON PLEASE!

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #620 on: October 19, 2012, 04:10:17 AM »

Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang

Marshall & Lance in TAR5, leg 6 (Egypt).  They arrived in seventh place to the RB at the Habu Temple, after all the teams completed it; so they realized they were in last.  Also, one of them - I don't remember which one - had a leg injury that made him unable to keep racing.  As a matter of fact, this was the first time Phil eliminated a team on the ground and not at the PitStop.

Thanks for adducing such an example, but I'm afraid M&L's example could be classified as "leaving the race due to poor physical condition or being far away behind." I'm looking for examples that are NOT due to those reasons.  :)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Airlines

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Tijana Dapcevic - To The Sky
« Reply #621 on: October 19, 2012, 06:27:06 AM »
What is the longest flight in TAR history?

JFK-JNB (Season 1)?
FRA-KUL (Season 11)?

Was there a straight JFK-JNB? Wasn't there stops in MXP & CDG & FRA?

I think GRU-FRA or LAX-SYD maybe.
Where do we go now?
To the sky
You and I
Beautiful

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #622 on: October 19, 2012, 09:28:06 AM »
It's close. Here is the list of nautical miles distances between the city pairs indicated above:

JFK JNB 6877
LAX SYD 6508
FRA KUL 5377
GRU FRA 5272

There currently are nonstop JFK to JNB flights, but it is unclear whether they existed in the spring of 2001. My guess is that they did exist. However, there were 3 separate flights out of JFK that AR1 teams were placed on, so only one of those was possibly nonstop. There likely were 3 flights to major European hubs like LHR, CDG or FRA that were also used, with connections from there nonstop to Johannesburg.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:41:22 AM by apskip »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • For the winners go to spoil!
« Reply #623 on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »
Yes, there was a direct South African Airlines, a Swiss Air via Zurich, and an Alitalia via Milan.

There's no way I'll forget the first appearance of the Amazing Yellow Line!
Found out that Neobie in Chinese means "f*king awesome"! No, really. Look it up!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #624 on: October 19, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »
I thought all the SAA direct flights from JFK to JNB made short fuel stops in Accra, Ghana.

I actually asked one of the racers on that flight and they confirmed it was non stop, JFK to JNB.

It really is a pity that the flightstats database doesnt go back that far to check SA2 on March 8, 2001, TAR's first flight.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:36:41 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Custom Search