Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 3: "We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently" (Japan)  (Read 91006 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 18 Ep 3: "We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently" (Japan)
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2011, 08:48:28 PM »
Water Detour promo up in post #2.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
So...flights arrive in the early morning. Then (maybe) they collect their cars from a carousel somewhere in or near Shibuya (unless there's an intermediate unmentioned stop).
C/J have an accident while approaching the freeway to take them to the shrine/archery. Teams spotted at the shrine around 1:30. Judging by the sunlight, the mud/water detour takes place in the late afternoon. I haven't found the mud patch yet. It's a smallish town ringed by hills and containing farm plots--also I assume something reasonably close to Yuhi falls. My guess for the moment is Kaisei township. And an unknown pitstop finishes the day.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
Oh thank you!! I am still working on caps...it does look as though the water detour involves learning a song/prayer. doing the pole lift, and throwing something.

I think the promo clearly places the Trotters ahead of Ron/Chris.

And do we think the shrine is route info or our archery RB location? ???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:01:03 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2011, 09:59:35 PM »
Bringing these over, shrine photos:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
Caps for the water detour. Herb has just received the clue as Nate goes under. (#24-25)

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »
So this leg is

1. Train to Sydney
2. Fly to Japan (via HK for some teams)
3. Route info/Roadblock
4. Detour
5. Pit Stop...

???

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »
If the RB is at the shrine...otherwise it could come anytime...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2011, 10:59:42 PM »
If the RB is at the shrine...otherwise it could come anytime...

there's a promo shot of what i think is Mike doing the roadblock... assuming that they did the roadblock before the detour, as we know Mel is rushed to the hospital and unable to continue...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:05:53 PM by redskevin88 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »
oh nice! Who is that in the background waiting?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:29 PM »
The horse-turner is accurate, as it turns out.
As far as the RB goes, the shrine is just a guess. Google pegs the drive Shibuya>Hachimangu as 1hr15min and the drive from Hachimangu>Yuhi as 1hr50min, so there's still some time to account for.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »
We know :1) both airplanes arrived early in the morning around 6.30a.m.-7am.
                 2) teams from both flights were seen at Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu shrine around 1.30p.m.
From the pictures of Jamie/Cara accident is obvious that it is in the afternoon, certainly later than 3.00p.m.
So what are they doing in Shibuya? Are they hopelessly lost trying to go to the shrine hours after the others or they have already been to the shrine and they are going to another location? Could they have finished all tasks and are on their way to the pit stop?

Another observation: all the pictures from the mud pit is later than the ones from the waterfall, in some of them we can see the sunlight fading, so it could be even later than the traffic accident.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2011, 02:51:22 AM »
So this leg is

1. Train to Sydney
2. Fly to Japan (via HK for some teams)
3. Route info/Roadblock
4. Detour
5. Pit Stop...

???

I think there'll be an additional route task before going to the Pit Stop?  Just a spec. :duno:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »
Can I just say how much I hate that in these later seasons, teams are managing to all get on the one flight. Whatever happened to getting crazy connections through random cities and then running to transfer desks to get standby tickets on earlier flights. Very disappointing :(

In the 1990s, airlines started changing their philosophy about what the traveling public wanted. So airplane manufacturers started building different types of planes. Airline passengers were trending away from the old "hub/spoke" model toward wanting "point to point" travel. So super long distance aircraft like the Airbus 330, 340, the soon to be Airbus 350 and Boeing 777, 787  were developed and built. These planes are lower capacity, but very long distance flights. The Airbus 380 and Boeing 747 still cater to the old hub and spoke model. Large capacity and shorter distances.

It seems that BVM likes to use the long flights to stress the teams and leaves less airports for the teams to travel through and cuts down on spoiling it seems. He seems very adept at finding them and hiding from us.
Matthew 7:15

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »
as we know Mel is rushed to the hospital and unable to continue...

Well color me stupid........I have looked through every post in this thread about 4 times and I can not find any reference to a trip to a hospital. I do know we have screencaps from promos showing Mel in dire straights, sitting in what is probably an ambulance. Where is the link to where it says he goes to the hospital please.

I remember in TAR14 all the CBS hoopla about Margie fainting. Also from the extra videos or the next episode we do see her in an ambulance recuperating, but she never went to the hospital as CBS lead us to belieive. To quote Shakespeare, "lots of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Thanks in advance.

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
From the pictures of Jamie/Cara accident is obvious that it is in the afternoon, certainly later than 3.00p.m.
So what are they doing in Shibuya? Are they hopelessly lost trying to go to the shrine hours after the others or they have already been to the shrine and they are going to another location? Could they have finished all tasks and are on their way to the pit stop?

Ignoring the time for the moment, another possibility would be that the racers took the Narita Express to Shibuya Station where they picked up their cars (i.e. car elevator).  They then get their clue to go to "such-and-such" location , blah, blah.  A 3PM time would rule that out however, since they arrive in Japan early in the morning.    :res:  nevermind.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2011, 12:47:02 PM »
So...flights arrive in the early morning. Then (maybe) they collect their cars from a carousel somewhere in or near Shibuya (unless there's an intermediate unmentioned stop).
C/J have an accident while approaching the freeway to take them to the shrine/archery. Teams spotted at the shrine around 1:30. Judging by the sunlight, the mud/water detour takes place in the late afternoon. I haven't found the mud patch yet. It's a smallish town ringed by hills and containing farm plots--also I assume something reasonably close to Yuhi falls. My guess for the moment is Kaisei township. And an unknown pitstop finishes the day.

Thanks to your lead, I think the mud slide location may be near the Soga Plum Grove.  Note the scraggly-trunked plum trees in the mud shots and the the tall wind-maker poles in the background of Kisha & Jen's running shot.  Also, hills match in the running shot.  And the sun's illumination is consistent with the location.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2011, 12:54:20 PM »
We also have this background if it helps narrow it down? Almost looks like condos back there!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:55 PM »
as we know Mel is rushed to the hospital and unable to continue...

Well color me stupid........I have looked through every post in this thread about 4 times and I can not find any reference to a trip to a hospital. I do know we have screencaps from promos showing Mel in dire straights, sitting in what is probably an ambulance. Where is the link to where it says he goes to the hospital please.

I remember in TAR14 all the CBS hoopla about Margie fainting. Also from the extra videos or the next episode we do see her in an ambulance recuperating, but she never went to the hospital as CBS lead us to belieive. To quote Shakespeare, "lots of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Thanks in advance.

It isn't in the spoiler thread...it came from an Interview that Gary and Mallory did, and was I believe, an unintended bit of spoilerish info revealed, but does not actually ID Mel as the "victim".

The quote is:
Season 18 has more medical treatments than Season 17, with the medical crew taking competitors to hospitals for stitches and hypothermia. Mallory assured that safety is a very high priority, because “it wouldn’t look too good” for anyone to be seriously injured.

and the full article is here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,24557.msg589789.html#msg589789

We have quite a lot of Media spoilerish comments this time, I have tried to bold them in the Media thread as I posted them there.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:22:22 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »
Here is another view to see if that helps?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
And I do think we are missing a location...there is too much unexplained time.

Can we get any sense of who is doing the late mud? It would be interesting if it was M&M. :o
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
Thanks Peach!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2011, 01:35:10 PM »
I have been impressed with the caps this season, they are often telling a story, and some of the caps are telling one very purposefully.
For instance, the ONE cap of racers with the starting line clue in hand ...was Amanda and Kris.

So this time we have two caps still...and sure they could be scene fillers or not.

So maybe we need to look at THIS view of Fuji and see where it was taken?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2011, 01:47:41 PM »
Here:  Shizuoka Prefecture Fujinomiya

Panoramio

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:50:55 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2011, 02:03:39 PM »
Wow, what in the world are they doing down in the Shizuoka Prefecture? None of the tasks call for them to go that far west.
An extra task over there would make it late afternoon for driving back to the Detour.
TJ999 had already identified the second one as the floating torri at Itsukushima Shrine. I think we have to consider that filler because that is WAY out of the way for this leg.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:11:20 PM by The Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »
From here.......Post #505, Live Sightings Thread

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23690.msg576769.html#msg576769

Ok, here are the details from one of the members on my TAR fan community on mixi.jp.  He (not me - I live in Seattle) posted a note on our version of the TAR18 spoiler thread (mirroring this one!) at 2010/11/25 THU 8:26AM JST, with details as follows (translated from Japanese - don't worry, I'm a Japanese native  :lol:)

-------
LIVE FROM NARITA TERMINAL 2! (Arrival Lobby)

CX524 arrived 80 minutes late!
The teams that arrived earlier are probably already headed into town.
The SQ flight 538 that arrived via Singapore arrived at Terminal1 around the same time as this one, so there's no way I could spot anyone coming off of that flight.

Just now, Margie/Luke, Kynt/Vyxsin, Zev/Justin and Jamie/Cara (in that order) exited from EXIT B and got into cars that were waiting for them.

The staff members were guarding tightly, so I couldn't quite get close to the racers (I wanted to know where the clue told them to go), but I shouted out

"Go! Kynt/Vyxsin, go!"

and Vyxsin turned around to look at me and flashed a nice smile!  :yess:

Jamie/Cara were standing elsewhere, so I got closer to them and called out their name, and they said

"Thanks for recognizing us"

Too bad kenchan's contact didn't differenciate what kind of cars they got into........taxis, crew cars or self drive? It does seem to rule out the express train to Tokyo. If they had taken the train, they would have gone down another level, to the train station.

Maybe Shizuoka Prefecture Fujinomiya is the location of the Pit Stop? Is there a bullet train from there back to Narita? The Shin-Fuji Bullet Train Station is pretty close to Fujinomiya. This would give quick access to Narita Airport for trip to China and also for Phil to exit the area after eliminating a team and heading to Lijiang.

There are actually 4 bullet train stations along the south side of Mt Fuji........Shin-Fuji, Mishima, Atami, Odawara. Seems like a good area to hide the teams at a Pit Stop, before going to China.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:31:16 PM by DrRox »