Author Topic: TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)  (Read 95346 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:29:51 PM by The Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
Press Release:
TEAMS DRESSED AS KANGAROOS CONTINUE THROUGH AUSTRALIA WHERE ONE TEAM IS BROUGHT TO TEARS WHEN EXHAUSTION THREATENS TO END THEIR RACE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE: UNFINISHED BUSINESS," SUNDAY, FEB. 27

(Outback) - Teams dressed as kangaroos continue through Australia where one Racer reverts to old habits as tempers start to flare, and another Team breaks down in tears from utter exhaustion, on THE AMAZING RACE

From woden's amazing TIMELINE:

ROUTE SUMMARY

EP02: Sydney, Australia to Broken Hill, Australia

Film Date: NOV 23
Air Date: FEB 27

Leg Route/Tasks:
ROUTE INFO: Travel by ferry to Sydney
EVIDENCE: Live information (Source)
TIMING: Kent/Vyxsin on ferry at 4:39pm

ROUTE INFO: Find "To Sail To Stop" sculpture at Town Hall and receive next-day flight times (6:00am or 6:30am)
EVIDENCE: Local information (Source); teams spotted en route at different locations (Gary/Mallory on Pyrmont Bridge, Gary/Mallory and Ron/Chris at Marriott Hotel) (Source 1), (Source 2), (Source 3), (Video 1)
TIMING: All teams at Town Hall simultaneously except Jet/Cord (Source), (Photos 1), (Photos 2), (Photos 3), (Photos 4), (Photos 5)
6:00AM DEPARTURE TIME: Jen/LaKisha, Mike/Mel, Jamie/Cara, Margie/Luke, Zev/Justin, Kent/Vyxsin (Source)
6:30AM DEPARTURE TIME: Herb/Nate, Ron/Christina, Gary/Mallory, Amanda/Kris, Jet/Cord (Source)

ROUTE INFO: Fly to Broken Hill, Australia
EVIDENCE: Local information (Source 1), (Photos 1), (Photo 2)
TIMING: Jen/LaKisha, Mel/Mike, Margie/Luke, Jaime/Cara, Kent/Vyxsin, Zev/Justin on ZL9578 (DEP 6:05am; ARR 7:55am); Herb/Nate, Ron/Christina, Amanda/Kris, Gary/Mallory, Jet/Cord on ZL9596 (DEP 6:30am; ARR 8:20am), additional timing information from eyewitness (Source)

ROUTE INFO: Drive yourselves to Living Desert Flora & Fauna Sanctuary in Broken Hill
EVIDENCE: Sightings with confirmation (Source 1), (Source 2), (Source 3), photos of teams heading toward vehicles for self-driving (Source)

ROUTE INFO: Find Memorial Oval
EVIDENCE: TV Tonight information (Source)

DETOUR?: Dress as kangaroos and hop around town OR...
EVIDENCE: Sighting of racers dressed as kangaroos hopping on Gypsum Street, with task ending on Mercury Street (Source 1), (Source 2)

PIT STOP: Junction Mine (Possible overnight stay)
EVIDENCE: Local information ((Source 1), Source 2), (Photo 1), (Photo 2)

POSSIBLE OTHER LOCATIONS/TASKS THIS LEG
Outdoor red sand cluebox in Broken Hill - Location unknown
EVIDENCE: Sighting with video (Source)

Safe from Elimination at End of Leg: Zev/Justin, Herb/Nate, Jet/Cord, Margie/Luke, LaKisha/Jen, Mel/Mike, Kent/Vyxsin, Jamie/Cara, Gary/Mallory, Ron/Christina
Possibly Eliminated: Amanda/Kris

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:00:41 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
Episode Preview: Thanks to TL for the capture!!

PROMO 1

PROMO 2  (Thanks TL!  :kuss: )

caps here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,24713.msg592035.html#msg592035

PROMO 3 (thanks loverocked for the notice!)

caps are here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,24713.msg592112.html#msg592112

Promo 4

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:58:50 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
Neobie's Broken Hill PitStop Map at the Junction Mine:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:43:45 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »
saved
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:33:43 PM »
I think this is the first time the episode title reference to geography (since CBS began using it) has been to a part of a country and not just the country.  But it sort of confirms what we knew from the first two-three days of filming, so it's not a major deal.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
The term 'outback' is used by Australians to define a non-urban area, therefore any city other than Sydney/Melbourne etc. can be classed as in the 'outback.'

Wikipedia said - The Outback is the remote arid areas of Australia, although the term colloquially can refer to any lands outside of the main urban areas. The term "the outback" is generally used to refer to locations that are comparatively more remote than those areas deemed "the bush".
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »
Sorry guys...for technical reasons I had to do some reorganizing.

If you would like to repost your original comments, that would be great! And I'll delete my quoted ones...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 01:06:59 AM »
The term 'outback' is used by Australians to define a non-urban area, therefore any city other than Sydney/Melbourne etc. can be classed as in the 'outback.'

Wikipedia said - The Outback is the remote arid areas of Australia, although the term colloquially can refer to any lands outside of the main urban areas. The term "the outback" is generally used to refer to locations that are comparatively more remote than those areas deemed "the bush".

This is correct. I wouldn't class the location of Survivor 2 to be "Outback" due to the amount of bushland in the area.

Generally speaking, the Outback is the desert areas.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:53:59 AM »
This is a note on what defines the Outback, because I would have thought that Broken Hill as a mining town is not part of the desert that I had understood the Outback to be until I researched it and found that I was incorrect. Here is one Australian Outback expert's view of what is included:

OUTBACK ATTRACTIONS

* Ayers Rock/Uluru
    * Kings Canyon
    * Kakadu National Park
    * Litchfield National Park
    * Nitmiluk/Katherine Gorge

OUTBACK CITIES/TOWNS

* Darwin ( I would not include Darwin in my definition since it is a tropical region with lots of precipitation)
    * Alice Springs
    * Coober Pedy

Tourism Australia includes these 6 must-see sights (one in each of the 6 territories of Australia excluding Tasmania) as part of its more inclusive definition of what constitutes the Outback:

1. Flinders Ranges, South Australia - Take a scenic flight and see the monumental splendor of the rock basin of Wilpena Pound roll out beneath you, then explore the legendary waterholes of the Flinders Ranges. See Aboriginal art at Arkaroo Rock and explore the area’s pastoral history at Wilpena Pound Station. Afterwards, head to a friendly pub and taste-test some of the area’s famous bush tucker while swapping stories with the locals.

2. Longreach, Queensland - Join a campfire and hear the poetry of the outback people at the spiritual homeland of the Aussie ‘bushy’. Here you can learn about the history of the outback and the people who call it home at the Stockman’s Hall of Fame. Home of the world’s first flying surgeon and the birthplace of our national airline Qantas, there’s much to do in and around this legendary outback town.

3. Broken Hill, New South Wales - Discover distinctive desert landscapes and an oasis of lakes around the former mining town known as Silver City. Once the world’s largest silver, lead and zinc mine, Broken Hill is now famous for its artists, who draw inspiration from the clear light and expansive vistas. Take a sunset stroll around the Living Desert Sculptures, watch birds around Menindee Lakes and do a radio lesson in the world’s largest virtual classroom at the School of the Air.

4. Glen Helen Gorge, Northern Territory - After trekking through the MacDonnell Ranges, you’ll be overjoyed to reach the broad, cool waterhole of Glen Helen Gorge. This permanent waterhole is a sanctuary for the Finke River’s nine species of fish and migrating waterbirds. Dive in for a refreshing swim then pitch your tent under the stars. You might even spot a black-footed rock wallaby.

5. Kununurra, Western Australia - Explore ridges and ranges 350 million years old and see where rare pink diamonds are mined. Jump on a bull at the local rodeo, catch a huge barramundi or join the crowds at an outback horse race. Dine on mud crab in remote camp restaurants and marvel at the vast and magnificent Lake Argyle. However you experience this diverse region, you can bet you won’t forget it.

6. Mildura, Victoria - This vibrant outback oasis on the Murray River is renowned for its endless sunshine, picturesque vineyards and ancient lunar landscapes. Explore Aboriginal culture in the sand dunes of Lake Mungo or in the sublime World Heritage-listed Willandra Lakes. Dine at award-winning restaurants or cruise past wineries on a house boat or historic paddle steamer. See rugged outback scenery and stunning sunsets from a hot air balloon or tackle them on a four wheel drive.

So Tourism Australia considers Broken Hill to be part of the Outback and most entries when you browse for "Broken Hill" will categorize it as part of the Outback.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:20:29 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:57:21 AM »
Prophet:

CBS/World Race Productions has been known to be wrong on many things over the history of the Amazing Race. I wasn't questioning the fact that they listed it that way (which they clearly did), but wanted to see if they were accurate from a geography perspective. It is fortuitous that it is accurate from a geography perspective to categorize Broken Hill as part of the Outback.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »

This is correct. I wouldn't class the location of Survivor 2 to be "Outback" due to the amount of bushland in the area.

Generally speaking, the Outback is the desert areas.

^ Listen to the experts! ^
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:14:11 AM by The Prophet »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
I am picking Mel or Ron for the title.......
Matthew 7:15

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
PS. This is definately a Luke title!!  :lol: "I'm not wearing a girls leotard" anyone!!  :lol:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »

My vote goes to Mallory:  "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life"

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
I'm calling one of the cowboys for the title
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
My cable listing have updated for this episode, but only to specifically mention that the Race goes to Broken Hills, New South Wales, Australia....without updating for an episode title.

That's a bit weird that it so specific about the location, but not the episode title. But there's formal confirmation of the task locations for the second episode.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 04:43:12 AM »
The Automatic U-Turn takes effect following the first detour.  :'(

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 06:15:51 AM »
^Now that's why they're gone, ****I think.**** :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 06:59:32 AM »

So either Krimanda finds the airplane last and gets it or the cowboys are penalized for coming in last at the midway but overcome it.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »

I think IF Kris and Amanda are out this way, they would have twice the double amount of Unfinished Business. And damn it, that's loads of Unfinished Business if you're out the same way as the first time. :groan:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »

So either Krimanda finds the airplane last and gets it or the cowboys are penalized for coming in last at the midway but overcome it.

The penalty is not for coming in last at the midway as far as we know...it is for completing the paper airplanes starting line task last.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »

The penalty is not for coming in last at the midway as far as we know...it is for completing the paper airplanes starting line task last.

From ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12931037

Quote from: ABC News
[...]In the premiere, Keoghan informs the players that the last team to arrive on the mat will automatically face a U-turn, forcing the duo to perform both Detour challenges, while first-place finishers will receive the Express Pass, allowing a team to skip one task during the race.[...]
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
That's what I thought too. However peach says no and it doesn't make sense for the cowboys to be U-turned and still survive in BH.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:58:42 PM by The Prophet »

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »
That's what I thought too. However peach says no and it doesn't make sense for the cowboys to be U-turned and still survive in BH.

well, the cowboys are known to overcome obstacles and come on top.
The story so far: