Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 1 "Head Down and Hold On" (Australia)  (Read 100531 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 18 Ep 1 "Head Down and Hold On" (Australia)
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
i just finished ep1.  Phil did hand over the express pass to Gary and Mallory.

wiki is reliable at this point....

Wiki is never reliable since I can go on there right now and edit it to say that the first location was China, four teams were eliminated, and the show was canceled.

Incorrect! The page is now semi protected!!!!!

And the inmates have the keys.  :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline GeKKou

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2011, 05:37:43 AM »
why did the cowboys keep saying 'gracias'? they still think they are in Chile?

anyways, they are still my favorite! i just wish they say it on purpose, like they are from mexico!

i want them to be perfect!

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »

anyways, they are still my favorite! i just wish they say it on purpose, like they are from mexico!

:lol3: I think they always said 'gracias' and 'rapido'. Go Jet and Cord! :rodeo
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »

The Cowboys are from southern Oklahoma, about 2 hours up the highway from me. This part of the United States had Spanish/Mexican influence for 300+ years before English speaking early Americans arrived. From Texas all the way to Southern California, this area has always had a very multi-cultural heritage. It is very common to say "Gracias and De Nada" as much as it is to say "Thank you and Your Welcome." It is no big deal, just habit and very common. I do it all the time too. If you want to understand a little more about this part of the world, then see if you can find a movie called "Giant" starring Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor....from the novel by Edna Ferber.

:lol3: I think they always said 'gracias' and 'rapido'. Go Jet and Cord! :rodeo

No, Charla and Mirna always said "rapido" whereever they went. But the use of rapido is pretty common here too.
Matthew 7:15

Offline FLFan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:31 PM »

As someone from a state that has an extensive Spanish population and who speaks a little Spanish, I also find myself using "gracias" occasionally - even when speaking to someone that may not be assumed to speak Spanish.  I think it is a more flowing word / phrase and slightly more "gracious" than "thank you" or "thanks".  Anyway, due to culture overlap, movies, etc, I think most people know what "gracias" means especially in multicultural countries like the USA and Australia.

Offline GeKKou

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2011, 07:59:38 PM »
The Cowboys are from southern Oklahoma, about 2 hours up the highway from me. This part of the United States had Spanish/Mexican influence for 300+ years before English speaking early Americans arrived. From Texas all the way to Southern California, this area has always had a very multi-cultural heritage. It is very common to say "Gracias and De Nada" as much as it is to say "Thank you and Your Welcome." It is no big deal, just habit and very common. I do it all the time too. If you want to understand a little more about this part of the world, then see if you can find a movie called "Giant" starring Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor....from the novel by Edna Ferber.

Thank you for the explanation ! I wish I live that close to them! Did you meet Jet and Cord at some point?

Offline GeKKou

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »

As someone from a state that has an extensive Spanish population and who speaks a little Spanish, I also find myself using "gracias" occasionally - even when speaking to someone that may not be assumed to speak Spanish.  I think it is a more flowing word / phrase and slightly more "gracious" than "thank you" or "thanks".  Anyway, due to culture overlap, movies, etc, I think most people know what "gracias" means especially in multicultural countries like the USA and Australia.

I used to be a secondary school teacher teaching languages other than English in Australia. Although Australia is like USA, a multicultural country, younger generations are not interested in speaking any second languages. They totally hate second languages, nothing like USA where people like to learn a second language. The best curriculum and textbooks I can find are from USA. Australia doesn't have that much history hence no influence in speaking second languages. Unless the parents don't speak English,they will not be interested in speaking one. I have never heard anyone of Spanish or Italian heritage saying Gracias or Grazie to me. that's why I couldn't understand the cowboys speaking Spanish at first
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:51:55 PM by GeKKou »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »
GekKou, that area of the United States was controlled by Spain, then Mexico, and nearby areas controlled by France prior to becoming parts of the United States.

Spanish speakers, in other words, lived there before Americans came into that territory. The Texas of the Mexican Empire (prior to the 1840s) was larger and included parts of present day Oklahoma. Thus, it's quite understandable how some Spanish terms made it into everyday language.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2011, 11:20:07 PM »
Can I say how much I love HD....  And I just noticed something even though I have now watched the episode 5 times.   I love the greeters reaction when Kent smacks his ass when they leave the pit Stop.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
It seems to me that unless we're all wrong about the number of episodes, then thiere was not an uberleg. But two legs, with no rest period between pitstops. That is a new wrinkle, but one that's been developing the last few seasons as the show has dropped all references to the 12-hour rest period at pit stops.

Why?

Phil described the race as having 12 legs.

He described the winner of the express pass as the first to arive at the first pit stop, which did happen in this leg.

He described the beach location as a "pit stop" greeted the first ten teams as X to arrive" and the clue directing teams there warned that the last team to arrive "may" be eliminated.

So what we have is a regular first leg (with just a roadblock and no detour.

Conclusion: There is no uberleg this season, although WRP did a good job in emulating an uberleg in Sydney.

I agree with the thrust of theschnauzers' comments. However, if there was no pit stop time lag, why did teams not get on the 620pm flight to Broken Hill? Also, why was there a greeter? Typically if there is a greeter then it's not a TBC. Phil promised surprises, so I guess having a TBC with a greeter is something new. I believe that teams find a HOH that works effectively like a pit stop. 

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2011, 02:25:08 PM »
I agree with the thrust of theschnauzers' comments. However, if there was no pit stop time lag, why did teams not get on the 620pm flight to Broken Hill? Also, why was there a greeter? Typically if there is a greeter then it's not a TBC. Phil promised surprises, so I guess having a TBC with a greeter is something new. I believe that teams find a HOH that works effectively like a pit stop. 

I don't view it as a Pit Stop because as far as we know, there is no RB in this upcoming episode. There was also no Detour in the previous episode.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »

Yep, Apskip. It's a sign-in sheet for flight times the next day, like in the old seasons' two-day premiere legs.

Offline Kacper

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2011, 03:52:18 PM »
Idk if you know but according to CBS's schedule there will be a repeat of TAR's 18 premiere on this saturday, february 26th

http://www.cbs.com/info/schedule/index.php
Survivor: San Juan del Sur premieres Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8/7C on CBS
The Amazing Race 25 premieres Friday, September 26, 2014 8/7C on CBS

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
Idk if you know but according to CBS's schedule there will be a repeat of TAR's 18 premiere on this saturday, february 26th

http://www.cbs.com/info/schedule/index.php

Nice!
It also shows us the title for ep3:
Amazing Race: Unfinished Business (18)
We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently (Japan)
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
Moving some discussion to the leg 2 thread! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
Mel mentioned in one of the insider videos that the getaway cars had Michigan plates; second season in a row for that.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2011, 12:11:13 PM »
Why would that be?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
They were advertising the 2012 Ford Fiestas. They probably got use of them free of charge straight from Detroit as payment for the plug.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
The Michigan plates would mean that the vehicles were owned by Ford as the manufacturer, and not by a dealer. (The current Ford Motor Company is headquartered in Detroit.)
GM, Ford and Chrysler have changed their form of business entity as a result of their bankrptcy/reorganizations over the last few years.  I believe that at least two of them actually are LLC (limited liability companies) and not corporations, IIRC. It's a far different world when those three businesses were known worldwide as "The Big Three."
-- theschnauzers

Offline SkyWriter9

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2011, 03:35:30 AM »
Nooooooooooo! *sob* Nooooooooo!!!! I can't believe I missed the first two episodes!!!

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2011, 09:38:41 PM »
Just a question, when Phil awarded G/M with the EP, did he say it could be used anytime during the Race?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2011, 09:43:23 PM »
Not sure...up to Ep 8 rings a bell....  Anyone??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
Anytime during the race, at no point during the episode either at the starting line or at the Pit Stop did he say anything about a limited.  In fact he stated, "You can use that before or during any challenge you don't want to complete on the race.  Anywhere on the race, it's going to give you a major advantage."

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
So does this mean that they can use the EP in the finale? ???

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »
I guess so, I mean the finale is during the race...