Author Topic: TAR18: Herb Lang & Nate Lofton (Big Easy & Flight Time of Harlem Globetrotters)  (Read 32801 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook

Herb and Nate

Name (Age): Herb Lang (34)
Hometown: Brinkley, Ark.
Connection to your Teammate: Harlem Globetrotters Teammate
Current Occupation: Professional Basketball player with the Harlem Globetrotters
Previous Season/Result: Season 15/4th place

Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Trusting that Dan would keep his word.

Most memorable moment from your first Race: When Big Easy found the needle in the haystack for a first place finish on my birthday!

Favorite place you visited on your first season: Sweden and Vietnam because we came in first both times.

Why do you want to run the Race again? Redemption -- and to win it all!

How have you changed since the last time you competed? I haven't changed. I'm still the same.

What are you passionate about? I am passionate about winning -- and being with the Globetrotters for over 10 years, I've gotten used to it!

People would be surprised to learn: That we didn't take either of the two trips we won on our season.

One location that you hope to go on this adventure: Australia – I've been to 80 countries, but I've never been there.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: We always felt we are our biggest challenges. We determine how we do, not the other teams.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): We want to accomplish what we did last time. We want to run a good race and be an example to everyone that you don't have to be jerks to be competitive and do well.

Pet peeve about your teammate: He snores like you wouldn't believe!

What would you do if you won the million dollars? Invest some and donate some to charity.

Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: None! Just win!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name (Age): Nate Lofton (29)
Hometown: New Orleans, La.
Connection to your Teammate: Harlem Globetrotters Teammate
Current Occupation: Professional Basketball player with the Harlem Globetrotters
Previous Season/Result: Season 15/4th place

Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Over-thinking the game and not taking my time to concentrate.

Most memorable moment from your first Race: Winning first place for “Flight Time” on his birthday.

Favorite place you visited on your first season: Vietnam was my favorite place to visit because the people were awesome.

Why do you want to run the Race again? I want to win!

How have you changed since the last time you competed? I'm way more relaxed now than I was the first time around.

What are you passionate about? I'm passionate about my kids and my family.

People would be surprised to learn: I am afraid of horror movies.

One location that you hope to go on this adventure: I want to go to Australia because every Harlem Globetrotter says it is their favorite country and I want to see what the fuss is about.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Hopefully, we won't face any really big challenges. We ran a good race last time and hopefully will do the same this time around.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): I want everyone to see that athletes can be great role models.

Pet peeve about your teammate: He is too nice sometimes.

What would you do if you won the million dollars? I want to open a gym in the neighborhood where I grew up.

Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: I don't think so. I think we ran a great Race.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:36:06 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
new video in 1st post.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Actually, i'm only not rooting for Globetrotters. I'm fine with any other teams winning. :tup:

And if Globetrotters win... :res:

:lol3: I guess I'm okay with them, I just didn't like what they did to Mika on the Leap of Faith.  :'(

They didn't do anything to change the outcome really. She had enough issues of her own.

I'm not defending them, I don't really like them either, but that wasn't that bad IMO. I don't think anybody has to worry about them winning, they aren't very good at the Race. I'm surprised they made it as far as they did.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞

It's a sports tactic. Trash talking and intimidation is a huge part of their culture. I still don't think Mika would have ever done it though. You're going to definitely be limited on the Race if you have two huge phobias like she did.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:26:05 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
I'll add that that it is for a million. If I had to choose between  1,000,000 and a making a girl cry, 1 million definetly!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
I'll add that that it is for a million. If I had to choose between  1,000,000 and a making a girl cry, 1 million definetly!

I was going to say something like that but it wouldn't sound right coming from me.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member

I was going to say something like that but it wouldn't sound right coming from me.

I'm a male who has been around sports for a long time. I laughed at their words. To me, the more offensive and damaging thing to Mika would have been Canaan attempting to push her and verbally berating her.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
I'm a male who has been around sports for a long time. I laughed at their words. To me, the more offensive and damaging thing to Mika would have been Canaan attempting to push her and verbally berating her.

Yes...why don't more people talk about this part of the story?

I have to admit after listening to Mika carry on for so long I was initially thought it was funny too.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:52:57 PM by The Prophet »

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
I don't know what everyone thinks was so bad about the globetrotters trash talking. They knew coming into that task that they were last, and needed a small miracle to stay in it. It's not like they physically pushed her off the slide so they could jump in first or anything like that.

What I don't understand even more is why people love Rob & Amber, who made a race career out of trash talking and psyching out other teams, yet hate the globetrotters for exactly the same thing.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
I don't know what everyone thinks was so bad about the globetrotters trash talking. They knew coming into that task that they were last, and needed a small miracle to stay in it. It's not like they physically pushed her off the slide so they could jump in first or anything like that.

What I don't understand even more is why people love Rob & Amber, who made a race career out of trash talking and psyching out other teams, yet hate the globetrotters for exactly the same thing.

Well said, I agree with all of it.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
I don't hate the Globetrotters, on the contrary I like them. What they did with Mica I don't think it's that bad. They were almost laughing when they were saying those things. Besides Mica was hysterical long before they arrived. I don't think that it was the Globbetrotters who influenced her so much that she didn't do the task, in her mind she had already decided not to do it.

Offline connayyy

• RFF Jr. Member
I don't think the Globetrotters were even trash talking Mika. All they said was, "Mika, don't do it. It's high, if you're scared then don't do it." Saying "don't do it" really isn't that bad, they almost seemed to be saying it in a joking way.

Besides, it was pretty clear that she had never intended to go down the slide in the first place. The Globetrotters didn't change anything.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
 Keoghan explains the show's picks below.

Flight Time and Big Easy — Season 15, 4th place
Last we saw them: The Harlem Globetrotters opted to incur a four-hour penalty after Big Easy gave up on unscrambling... "Franz."
Why they deserve a second chance: Who doesn't want to redeem themselves after that? "Everyone knows they're strong Racers. [Taking the penalty] was a bad choice, but I also don't know if Big Easy was ever going to unscramble it," Keoghan says. "It's hard for people to understand what's happening to teams — their brains are fried at that point. I think even the choice to take the penalty wasn't done with a lot of thought." And it forced Keoghan to sleep on the street on a mat. "They kept me waiting at the Pit Stop all night. I saw the sun set; I saw the sun rise. As soon as I saw them [this season], I said, 'Don't keep me waiting on the mat again!'"

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/amazing-race-phil-keoghan-explains-why-these-11-teams-have-unfinished-business/56742
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

It is bad because it's STILL trash talking! They needed a small miracle to stay in, that's right. But they could have just kept their mouth shut and let Mika give up on the task herself and not discourage her. I absolutely loathe that scene and i scringed whenever i see that scene again on TV. There should be NO EXCUSES made for unacceptable behavior while on the race. It's just like school bullies.. some people will say because they come from dysfunctional families and that is why they behave that way.. BUT STILL, NO EXCUSES for you causing pain and hurt to others??

Definitely NOT a fan and have classified this team amongst other teams with bad reputation such as Marshall and Lance. :res:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster

It is bad because it's STILL trash talking! They needed a small miracle to stay in, that's right. But they could have just kept their mouth shut and let Mika give up on the task herself and not discourage her. I absolutely loathe that scene and i scringed whenever i see that scene again on TV. There should be NO EXCUSES made for unacceptable behavior while on the race. It's just like school bullies.. some people will say because they come from dysfunctional families and that is why they behave that way.. BUT STILL, NO EXCUSES for you causing pain and hurt to others??

Definitely NOT a fan and have classified this team amongst other teams with bad reputation such as Marshall and Lance. :res:

OTOH, Canaan was being much more of a bully than FT&BE
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞

Also, Mika was making a spectacle of herself.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

:res: Have you finished the entire episode? To take the whole thing with grace and later encouraging Mika on the pitstop mat and said it's not her fault = class act?

During times where you're stressed by your OWN team mate who refuses to complete a SIMPLE challenge, all he did was to be just a little more rough. We've seen teams with a much worser attitude than Canaan please. Remember Brooke told Claire she just gotta suck it up after being hit by an entire watermelon?? People just don't remember this and see it as a "never say die attitude" just because they're an all-female team.

Imagine if Canaan were to tell Mika to suck it up after she got hit by a similar watermelon task.. how many people will go.. OMG HE'S SUCH A JERK???

How is Canaan behaving worst than FT and BE?? I don't really get the way you see it, but then again to each his own. So i respect your POV. :tup:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
:res: Have you finished the entire episode? To take the whole thing with grace and later encouraging Mika on the pitstop mat and said it's not her fault = class act?

During times where you're stressed by your OWN team mate who refuses to complete a SIMPLE challenge, all he did was to be just a little more rough. We've seen teams with a much worser attitude than Canaan please. Remember Brooke told Claire she just gotta suck it up after being hit by an entire watermelon?? People just don't remember this and see it as a "never say die attitude" just because they're an all-female team.

Imagine if Canaan were to tell Mika to suck it up after she got hit by a similar watermelon task.. how many people will go.. OMG HE'S SUCH A JERK???

So maybe the Globetrotters were just stressed about being behind?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City

So Joab, where does Ron fit in your list of bad reputations? He was much much worse to his own daughter than FT/BE ever were to Mika.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
So Joab, where does Ron fit in your list of bad reputations? He was much much worse to his own daughter than FT/BE ever were to Mika.

An excellent point!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

I was an extreme Ron hater till he changed for the better. I have a soft spot for people who change in their attitude, because i know how hard is it to swallow down your pride and admit that you've been so wrong and nasty. :lol:

And Christina's such a nice woman to not love. :tup:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
How is Canaan behaving worst than FT and BE?? I don't really get the way you see it, but then again to each his own. So i respect your POV. :tup:
Canaan was physically trying to push Mika down the slide against her own will.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

An excellent point!

The Prophet, will you stop spamming please? Seriously.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞

An excellent point!

The Prophet, will you stop spamming please? Seriously.

You're the one who's been spamming this topic all week.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:36:52 PM by The Prophet »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Canaan was physically trying to push Mika down the slide against her own will.

That was just once and a brief slight moment. He would have tried ANY method in times of desperation like this. He didn't TRY IT the whole time you see.