Author Topic: TAR 18 Finale speculation and discussion  (Read 144664 times)

Offline Shiryu01

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: TAR 18 Finale speculation and discussion
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I can only say that on closer review, 9 teams were seen, 2 were not. Were they there and out of customs late? Were they not there? Were they on a different flight altogether?

Which teams are we talking about? If I'm correct we are missing photo evidence of 4 teams (Mel/Mike, Gary/Mallory, Margie/Luke and Zev/Justin).

Now, let's consider the possibilities

All 11 teams were at the airport but only 9 (?) were seen OR Only 9 teams were at the airport at the same time. So the other 2 could have been
- sent out as early decoys (seems unlikely though, since they used more decoys later);
- be eliminated teams put on a different flight for lack of space on the plane (but who were still there at the finish line I suppose);
- be eliminated teams that were unable to fly due to loss of documents (very very unlikely but still possible);
- be racing teams, which, in case of a final three, would give another team a pretty big advantage;
- be the only two racing teams left, making it a final two as someone suggested. I think this is possible, I've only been watching TAR since season 12 but I don't remember a time when all three teams looked like having a chance all the way to the end. There was always one left behind pretty soon and hardly appearing on the screen so they may have decided to make it a final 2 to increase suspence.

Do we know anything about the time when the photos were taken? it looks like night in Jet's photo, and evening in Ron and Chris' photo, but the others are much brighter. Are decoys usually sent out before real racers or at the same time?
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
If it is a final 2 then how did the eliminations go down? I suppose you could just remove the last NEL. But again I am highly doubtful that there is a final 2. I lean towards the idea that they were around and were simply not photoed/seen for whatever reason.

I believe the pics were taken between 930-1030 on the 13th.

Am I correct that Margie and Luke and Gary and Mallory were the 2 unseen teams?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »
I think they made F3 going first,then decoys.Spotters just saw 3rd team in F3 and decoys when other 2 had already taken taxi and left.

Offline The Queen V

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Here comes the queen!
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »
georgiapeach, you mentioned the spotter saw 9 teams but only 7 were present, can you give us a clue on who the other two were?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
Would the active racers still have  their bags? If so, then we can say K/J, FTBE and I think K/V are in decoy mode. Of those not already eliminated, Jet/Cord and Ron/Chris are with bags, so either they're racing or they're good at decoying.

To the sage RFF Detectives, I think our finalists would be either:
1.Jet/Cord, Ron/Chris, and an unseen team (Goths?) or
2. Zev/Justin, Margie/Luke, Gary/Mallory or
3. A combination of three of those.

Am I on the right track? :cmas5

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2010, 07:12:42 PM »
Would the active racers still have  their bags? If so, then we can say K/J, FTBE and I think K/V are in decoy mode. Of those not already eliminated, Jet/Cord and Ron/Chris are with bags, so either they're racing or they're good at decoying.

I agree, and I think the 2nd one is more possible

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
I would dump my bag if I were racing.... :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »

Amanda and Kris have their bags and we know they were eliminated. I'm not sure that this means anything. Good thought though.

NoluckBoston

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
Why not dump your bag? You know the Airline will hold it if you checked and did not pick it up. You're racing for a million so who cares? Its the last leg and you wont need it.

I think this is a great speculation. I agree with you all above.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
Anyone see any backpacks with checked baggage tags on them........lol
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »
Why not dump your bag? You know the Airline will hold it if you checked and did not pick it up. You're racing for a million so who cares? Its the last leg and you wont need it.

I think this is a great speculation. I agree with you all above.
Possibly, but don't forget that the teams only do carryons no checks. What is the policy for carryons found on the plane? Lost and found?

The only team that definitely has no bags is Kisha and Jen. They are also the headscarf team so maybe they are in the final. Who knows?

Offline The Queen V

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Here comes the queen!
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
i checked the finales of each new season 12 - 17, not all teams did leave their bags

what i saw were that most tar 14 teams left their bags in the airport (i think jaime/cara and tammy/vic left at least a bag)

sam and dan leaving all their bags behind except for passports and a small bag

the rest of the final 3 brought all their belongings with them.

so we can't really say who's who in the final 3 just looking at bags.

also: note that ron and christina and jet and cord did not leave their bags upon arriving at the final city. i doubt theyd dump their bags, given that they are racing in the finals

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »
I thnik if I am production, I will want decoy teams having bags so that they look like racing than without bags...but maybe production don't care about this.

Offline TSPKM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2010, 08:29:49 PM »
Well I'm pretty sure Kisha/Jen were eliminated if they were seen inactive (I know this isnt confirmed) so if they didnt have bags then probably production doesnt care... just sayin.

NoluckBoston

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »

Possibly, but don't forget that the teams only do carryons no checks. What is the policy for carryons found on the plane? Lost and found?

The only team that definitely has no bags is Kisha and Jen. They are also the headscarf team so maybe they are in the final. Who knows?

Is there a rule that they can only do carry-ons? If not then why would you on the final leg? I would just check them.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »

Is there a rule that they can only do carry-ons? If not then why would you on the final leg? I would just check them.
Well, they usually don't check their bags to avoid having to wait at their destination
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

NoluckBoston

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
Yes, that is a great maneuver. But for the last leg? I would say don't bother. Leave it at the airport.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
In this instance, in Miami, the airline does not collect/hold unclaimed checked baggage.......Customs does. Now, if they cleared customs with their baggage and just dumped it on the floor.....probably end up in someone's trunk or in lost and found.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2010, 11:06:08 PM »
In this instance, in Miami, the airline does not collect/hold unclaimed checked baggage.......Customs does. Now, if they cleared customs with their baggage and just dumped it on the floor.....probably end up in someone's trunk or in lost and found.

isn't that against TSA regulations?
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
There's nothing stopping a team from using baggage lockers if they still have those at airports. (You take a key with you and pay at some point.) I'm pretty sure those would be outside TSA and Customs security areas, because folks might use them to hold their luggage waiting for flights or transportation.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »
I thought you were no longer allowed to leave your luggage unattended at any US airport.
The story so far:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 12:30:20 AM »
I did say "if they still have those at airports."

I wouldn't know; I haven't been in an airport in almost 10 years.
-- theschnauzers

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2010, 01:27:15 AM »
I would dump my bag if I were racing.... :duno:

I remember from the interview that Jill & Thomas (TAR17) considered doing this but they were unsure if it was allowed. And they could not get a clear answer from their crew on this. So they decided to play it safe and bring their bags, as did the other final teams.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2010, 08:53:16 AM »
I think the bottom line is that the teams could have chosen to do several different things with their bags. Any of these choices may or may not indicate that they were actively racing.
I think that even among the three racing teams they could have each made a different choice about how to handle the situation.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »
If I remember right, Chad & Stephanie left their bags with a cab driver and had to go back and get them before checking in.