Author Topic: EP 10 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 50929 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP 10 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »
ANd while I have mentioned that I feel bad for Jill & Thomas this leg, as they did actually run the better leg, I have no problem at all with them not winning the leg as it is part of the race.  I just get a little bummed (pretty much no matter who it is) to see a lot of points of equalization, where you lose any time you have gained.  Luckily the race isn't nearly as bad as it used to be in this regard.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 08:17:17 PM »
Vicki had the title after completing Roadblock.

Thanks.  Anyway, I think we have our final 3 teams set.

Nick's worse than Flo from Season 3!  At least although Flo often quit or nearly-quit, at least she never took a penalty!

Belle Book

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »
While I don't think Nick wanting to quit is disgusting, as many racers over the years have reached a plateau where they couldn't go any further, I was more upset about his talking to her at the start of the leg then any behavior later.

Hell we have had a bunch of racers quit before even trying tasks, let alone after being this far back on a leg, where you know the chances are you aren't going to be the team that wins.

What I think made this quitting so pathetic was Nick refusing to give a damn and even acknowledge Vicki's tremendous and valiant effort and guts at the roadblock. Your girlfriend just fought her heart out at a task and you can't even be bothered to look around for a number on a boat? That's pretty pathetic.  (:;)

Well it really depends, did they spend much time looking?  Did Nick just say screw it I am going to sleep, or was he serious when he said he just couldn't do this anymore and was getting ready to pass out?  As different people have different thresholds of endurance (and yes women can have greater endurance then men), it really depends if he was literally dead tired where he couldn't look anymore.  It did sound like both of them were easily tired enough where they probably couldn't even focus to see.  I know I did this while driving from Wyoming to Alaska with my brother after not eating for a day, and not sleeping much for two days, I literally fell asleep on the wheel nearly killing both of us.

And you must also realize that Vicki for being sick and hating the roadblock also got energy in the form of the food she was able to eat.  Thus she should have more energy at this point if they were both running on empty (even though she should also feel like crap).

Really it all depends on it Nick just wanted to quit and out of stubbornness wouldn't do anything else, or if he was truly exhausted.

Again I will really need to see this episode before I can state one way or the other I feel is more likely.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
Vicki had the title after completing Roadblock.

Thanks.  Anyway, I think we have our final 3 teams set.

Nick's worse than Flo from Season 3!  At least although Flo often quit or nearly-quit, at least she never took a penalty!

Belle Book

Sorry not even close.  You have to remember that back in season 3 one racer could do all the tasks.  Even the one detour where they each had to do their own boat, she had Zach come and pull her, and Zach had to get locals to do the other part of it for him (they honestly thought this would get them a penalty as it was against instructions, I don't know why they didn't get a penalty).  And she didn't do this for one leg, or two, or three, she did from Europe through to Asia.  And again thinks to the rules she really didn't have to do much at all.  Well flirting with Drew does that count.

Offline jayreh1021

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2010, 08:22:39 PM »
I'd probably go with the fact that since the leg started in midday maybe (as in when they got to Hong Kong) and then carrying out to 4 am (as stated by Nick) that it was pure exhaustion.
While I don't think Nick wanting to quit is disgusting, as many racers over the years have reached a plateau where they couldn't go any further, I was more upset about his talking to her at the start of the leg then any behavior later.

Hell we have had a bunch of racers quit before even trying tasks, let alone after being this far back on a leg, where you know the chances are you aren't going to be the team that wins.

What I think made this quitting so pathetic was Nick refusing to give a damn and even acknowledge Vicki's tremendous and valiant effort and guts at the roadblock. Your girlfriend just fought her heart out at a task and you can't even be bothered to look around for a number on a boat? That's pretty pathetic.  (:;)

Well it really depends, did they spend much time looking?  Did Nick just say screw it I am going to sleep, or was he serious when he said he just couldn't do this anymore and was getting ready to pass out?  As different people have different thresholds of endurance (and yes women can have greater endurance then men), it really depends if he was literally dead tired where he couldn't look anymore.  It did sound like both of them were easily tired enough where they probably couldn't even focus to see.  I know I did this while driving from Wyoming to Alaska with my brother after not eating for a day, and not sleeping much for two days, I literally fell asleep on the wheel nearly killing both of us.

And you must also realize that Vicki for being sick and hating the roadblock also got energy in the form of the food she was able to eat.  Thus she should have more energy at this point if they were both running on empty (even though she should also feel like crap).

Really it all depends on it Nick just wanted to quit and out of stubbornness wouldn't do anything else, or if he was truly exhausted.

Again I will really need to see this episode before I can state one way or the other I feel is more likely.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2010, 08:27:11 PM »
I will refrain from making comments on Nick's attitude until I see the full episode, but I think we can all agree Vicki rocks
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »
I will refrain from making comments on Nick's attitude until I see the full episode, but I think we can all agree Vicki rocks

If they have another season where they bring back racers, bring back Vicki and a better partner!  :lol: She's a tough and smart competitor!
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »
I think Vicki is doing really well. But I hate to dog on a racer for "possible" reaching their end, especially when we have seen that Nick has been doing his share in fact more of, so far (even look at the detours and see who's had the heavier load during those tasks) and that left Vicki a task she had great difficulty with.  Certainly he has a temper and he has certainly been an ass to Vicki at times, but it isn't like he hasn't been racing through the season.  We have had other racers who literally have had their partner do almost everything for them before giving up, that wasn't the case with Nick.

Obviously part of the issue is how he has treated Vicki in some of the legs (including this one) and the fact that he's a man and she's a women.  

But those two issues aren't necessarily connected to the issue of him quitting and it being a terrible thing.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2010, 08:37:35 PM »
She's tough, but even in her own words she isn't smart.  And really there isn't anything wrong with that, it isn't like everyone has an equal reference point in intelligence.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »
However, since Vicki said she had to do the Roadblock, I'm guessing the RB limit is back on 6.

Penalty for quitting Detour not RB...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2010, 08:44:45 PM »
Clearly, the big news out of this leg is the change in the penalty for quitting a detour. It had been 24 hours (that was the case a couple of seasons back when Maria and Tiffany quit the detour in the Netherlands in TAR 15. But it's apparently now 6 hours -- but the detour choices are becoming even more difficult.
And the fact that Vicki did the roadblock seems to confirm that Nick has reached the maximum he's permitted to do, as I suggested after last week's episode.
And the placement average for the top 3 teams continue to be as close as you can get without having ties. (0.2 placements between the top three teams.  Nick and Vicki are now averaging 5.4000 and there are only four teams left!)
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
However, since Vicki said she had to do the Roadblock, I'm guessing the RB limit is back on 6.

Penalty for quitting Detour not RB...

True Peach.....but I think  Danooky was talking about the roadblock limit a team member can do.....Nick has done 6 RBs so far and thats why Vicki said she had to do the Roadblock.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Goldeneye

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
I now wonder if TPTB changed the penalty starting this season to six hours for quitting a detour after that U-turn that eliminated Joe and Heidi last season in France with a task that they couldn't complete (the Morse Code one).

Offline jayreh1021

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2010, 09:17:02 PM »
I'm sorry if this is a bother but I've always wondered what TPTB means  :duno: . I know every acronym but that.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
The Powers That Be!!  as in production.. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline jayreh1021

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »
Really?  :lol3: Thanks!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Up on YT already! :hearts:

This was another :colors leg. Kudos!
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:37 PM »
Clearly, the big news out of this leg is the change in the penalty for quitting a detour. It had been 24 hours (that was the case a couple of seasons back when Maria and Tiffany quit the detour in the Netherlands in TAR 15. But it's apparently now 6 hours -- but the detour choices are becoming even more difficult.
And the fact that Vicki did the roadblock seems to confirm that Nick has reached the maximum he's permitted to do, as I suggested after last week's episode.
And the placement average for the top 3 teams continue to be as close as you can get without having ties. (0.2 placements between the top three teams.  Nick and Vicki are now averaging 5.4000 and there are only four teams left!)

I dont recollect there being any time penalty mentioned in that episode from TAR 15...having said that.....I dont remember any time being mentioned. I do remember the 24 hour penalty in Season 1....and thought at the time it was way to much for taking a taxi and not the car/bus deal in the detour. As far as I remember, The Poker girls were last and quit the race.....not took the time penalty......They were last and it really didnt matter if it was 6 hours or 24 hours,......it was an elimination leg and they were toast either way, but I am sure going back to watch it again.

We probably need the Peach lady to make some discreet inquires of her numerable contacts and find out just when teams go the change in the pre race briefing.....lol
Matthew 7:15

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
So did everybody see our former Racer Caitlin in the commercial following the credits?

:lol: :-[
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2010, 02:59:05 AM »
If they have another season where they bring back racers, bring back Vicki and a better partner!  :lol: She's a tough and smart competitor!

Yes they should get her as a partner that girl from season 6, who was with cry baby Adam.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2010, 09:18:22 AM »

Yes they should get her as a partner that girl from season 6, who was with cry baby Adam.

EXACTLY. Nick and Vicki is like Adam and Rebecca V2.0.. Rebecca and Vicki OWNED their partners on the race. WTH, you complain about Vicki not being able to run because SHE CANNOT BREATH. But then you quit on the Detour?!

This leg was really boring, with the exception of the fight for first place, the rest of the episode was kinda boring (in terms of teams progression) To be fair, the ROADBLOCK was really creative! This is one RB that i'll remember in TAR's history! Whoever thought of this RB should be given credits!

And to be fair once again, the Detour, the Billboards one.. was really creative! One who has been to HK.. will know how many thousand billboards are on the streets.. to find 3 which says PITSTOP STATUE SQUARE = KILLER.

And the boats detour was really creative as well.

I'm just glad that based on who we know are the final 3.. these three teams are indeed the top 3 most deserving team to make it to the end.

And Nat and Kat won 4 legs already. They beat the Dustin and Kandice record already. :lol:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »
Nick needs 2 b slugged!  :CnJ:
Both of them need serious counseling!  :flipper
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
And Nat and Kat won 4 legs already. They beat the Dustin and Kandice record already. :lol:

Dustin & Kandice won 4 legs in Season 11, and 2 legs in Season 10. (Without any Fast Forward too)  :tup:

DK :hearts: NK  :hearts:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2010, 09:51:46 AM »

Dustin & Kandice won 4 legs in Season 11, and 2 legs in Season 10. (Without any Fast Forward too)  :tup:

DK :hearts: NK  :hearts:

NK do not hate other teams as much as DK did. In fact, BC & NK r much more agreeable than previous FF teams.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2010, 10:57:33 AM »
 :lol: No wonder the restaurant was so hard to find, apparently no one takes any pictures of the ceiling when they eat there (but this photo shows the same shiny glass thingies as in the previews).  Looks like they got the owner/chef to be the roadblock judge too.   :snicker: