Author Topic: The Map Thread For TAR18: The Holding Zone  (Read 45947 times)

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
The Map Thread For TAR18: The Holding Zone
« on: November 21, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
It's the TAR18 Map Thread! Hope to see them reach all 7 continents!  Or maybe 6.

Just starting this for Neobie (or peach or anyone).  I was hoping for the AR 18 teams to emulate original TAR route in honor of TAR's 10th Anniversary.  Then with a Los Angeles start, I was thinking, "Maybe emulate the AR 14 route since it's basically TAR14: The Sequel & Friends"

Instead, no NYC start, and no Switzerland first destination.  I can't find a decent map right now for Sydney that best fits the ones Neobie has used over the past several seasons.

If anyone wants to add good location maps here, I'll copy them over to the Episode threads as we need them?? Thanks!!

and Neobie's gorgeoous TAR 18 Route Maps will take pride of place here!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:32:18 PM by georgiapeach »
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Map Thread For TAR18
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
Thanks, RevengefullyCreative! Sydney leg through to the Town Hall complete!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:58:34 AM by Neobie »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:58 AM »
Neobie, CBS will hire you one day eventually to do maps for them for TAR.

That's some awesome maps... :hearts:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »
Totally agree!:jam:

And now I SEE how they were going!! :ty3: It all makes sense... :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:48:46 PM »
The known locations for Broken Hill.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:51:49 AM by Neobie »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
Thanks, Neobie!  :jumpy: :hearts:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 12:51:24 AM »
Yunnan legs.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:14:13 PM by Neobie »

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:01:18 AM »
It's interesting!! Nice, photos!!  :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »
Neobie is on holiday.

Feel free to find and post GOOD maps of our known locations yourself.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:44 PM »
I like it!! Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
MAP holding thread
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »
I thought if anyone wants to post any nice MAPS for upcoming legs here...

I'll add it to the relevant episode thread in the first posts summaries when appropriate??

Might be an easier way of keeping track.

And I do love a pretty map!!  :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: MAP holding thread
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
i don't know about pretty, but here are 2 functional maps of western New South Wales:

Maps of western New South Wales centered on Broken Hill

Note the Darling River, the Barrier Range and the Indian Pacific Railroad line on the bottom of the 2 maps.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
Do we need two Map threads?
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
Do we need two Map threads?

Nope! Fixed with thanks.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Map Thread For TAR18: The Holding Zone
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »
Sorry, mighty busy all this while! But I thought I'd better get to this before the new season starts!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:22:31 PM by Neobie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Thanks Neobie!! Awesome!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
Since there is no separate thread for such information, I am going to use this thread to place "tourist information" about a destination in addition to maps. If the moderators want to create a separate thread for this, that's OK by me.

LIJIANG AREA SIGHTS

* Old Town. Walk around, watch people, shop, drink and eat. There is bonfire at around 7PM at the Si Fang Jie, the central plaza. Many local folks dance there, apparently entertain themselves.

* Mu Palace (木府; Mùfǔ). The palace where the Mu Clan of the Naxi people ruled for over 400 years. It is a large complex that extends part way up the hill behind it. At the top is a Daoist temple, with a few Daoists ready to give fortunes to visitors for a donation. A taste of Mulaoye Wine (木老爷酒; Mùlǎoyejiǔ), a kind of local alcohol, is available for ¥5 (in a shot glass), and there is also a free tea tasting area.

* Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (玉龙雪山; Yùlóngxuě Shān), (25km from Lijiang. Mules can be rented from the nearby Baisha Village or you can take a cable car to the top. Prices vary for the mules depending on what elevation you want to go to. ¥180 to ride to 3800 meters plus ¥5 for insurance. ¥300 to 4200 meters. ¥350 to 4600 meters. If you pay for the lowest elevation you might be able to bargain with the handlers when you reach the end and continue to the higher elevations for a lower price.  Its highest peak is Shanzidou (扇子陡; Shānzidǒu) at 5,596m. The view of the massif from the gardens at the Black Dragon Pool in Lijiang is noted as one of China's finest views. The far side of the mountain forms one side of Tiger Leaping Gorge (虎跳峡; Hǔtiàoxiá). You might be asked to purchase tickets for electrical car, which they call it as "Little Green frog". It's not worth it. You would miss the 20 minute walk on a wood trail which was very enjoyable. A On you way to Yu Long Snow Mountain, you may stop by at the Dong Ba Valley culture center, a traditional village. They moved some families from other places to this village and let them live their normal lives. I have seen the husband in a family counting changes while the wife was comforting the baby. In another house, two youth siblings were baking their cookies and selling to visitors. This is way more alive. There are live singing and instrument performing at different corners. You would see some singers are actually pretty and sin well.

* Black Dragon Pool (黑龙潭; Hēilóngtán), (About 1 km from Square Street). 8AM-5PM. Quite large place with some nice natural scenery together with traditional building styles. Don't forget to take pictures on the center bridge where the Yu Long Xue Shan (The Jade Dragon Snow Mountain) can be a perfect background. Popular with locals, whom you can find dancing or playing games such as mahjongg or Chinese chess. You can also hike up Elephant Hill if you're feeling energetic. Walk north along the canals from the waterwheels just to the north of the old town. Free, but you have to show your receipt of the Old Town Preservation, which costs ¥80. 
[
    * Naxi Concert Hall. 8PM-10PM. Enjoy the traditional Naxi music Culture Show performed by the Naxi Orchestra, which includes some 70-90 year old men. The music itself is a combination of traditional Chinese music dating back to the Tang dynasty and local instruments and flavours. The music is well performed, however be prepared for long explanations of its musical history in Mandarin between each piece and the sometimes self-serving comments of Xuan Ke the Director. While the Naxi Ancient Music group of Lijiang is famous and well promoted, there are other excellent classical Chinese music groups playing in Lijiang's parks (for ¥10) or at weddings or house-warmings all over Yunnan. ¥ 120-160.  edit

* Float styrofoam boats. Along the main streams are girls selling candles that float on delicate flower-shaped styrofoam boats. Tourists can purchase one, make a wish, and send their candle down the waterways. Late in the evening after groups have had significant amounts of alcohol you can see many floating candles sailing down the waterways.

* Walk the canal path. To get to the Black Dragon Pool you can walk the canal path north near the main water wheel. It will take you to the south entrance of the park. The north part of the park is free and you can get there by walking around the south entrance and keep heading north. You should reach a street with the main entrance to the park. Keep going north and you will see a small bridge that leads to a large white building. The white building is the Dongba Museum, everything north of that is free. If the guards bother you at the gate, just walk back to the street and keep walking north and there will be another path to get in to the free part with no gates or guards to bother you. Further north of the park is a local college, and northwest of that is a small reservoir. The reservoir is a good place to take photos of the snow mountain when it is visible. On hot sunny days in the summer there will be lots of locals swimming there in the afternoon.

* Visit Naxi villages. If you would like to visit some of the Naxi villages in the hills surrounding Lijiang, you can rent a small van to take you around for ¥100-300, depending on the driver and how much Chinese you speak. There are regular minivans on Shangrila Road, the main road on the west side of town, which take locals to and from the villages. Sometimes it can be difficult to find a mini-van to go back to Lijiang after 5PM if you do not make arrangements with the driver who took you there. The regular one way mini-van fee is ¥2 to Shuhe, and ¥3-5 for villages farther north (2007). It is highly recommended to ask a student at the local college on where to find the mini-buses and the prices of the village you want to go. Many drivers will try to rip you off if you do not speak Chinese, and the buses are not always easy to find as they look the same as the private "3-8" buses that travel inside the city.

* Impression Lijiang. A cultural show demonstrating the traditions and lifestyles of the Naxi, Yi and Bai peoples of the area. The show takes place inside Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Park at 3500m in an outdoor theater specifically designed to showcase the mountain which is used as a backdrop. The production itself was designed by Zhang Yimou (director of Hero, House of Flying Daggers), Fan Yue and Wang Chaoge, a cast of over 500 people, and a number of horses.

* Dry Sea Meadow (Ganhaizi). The closest chair lift up the mountain to Lijiang. It transports visitors to a large meadow located at 3050 meters. ¥160 return. 

* Cloud Fir Meadow (Yunshanping). From the reception center which is located adjacent to Impression Lijiang on the Lijiang-Daju road a fleet of buses transports visitors to a cable car which then takes visitors to 4506 metres. Both bus transfer and cable car costs a total of ¥160 for a return trip. From the upper terminus of the cable car a walkway allows visitors to climb past a glacier to 4680 meters. If you make it this far you can have your name engraved on a medallion for ¥30.

* Yak Meadow (Máoniúpíng). The furtherest from Lijiang at a distance of 60km, this cable car, costs ¥60 for a round-trip. At an elevation of 3,500 meters and the least-visited of the three chair lifts this area offers grazing yaks, a Tibetan temple and a number of hiking possibilities. On the way to the chairlift’s lower terminus the road drips down and crosses a river. A number of yaks are located here where for a fee you can sit on one. Their owners seem to have no objection to visitors taking photos for no fee of the yaks standing in the river with awesome Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in the background. You can also access Yak Meadow by hopping aboard bus 7 across from the Mao Zedong statue which will take you to the Impression Lijiang Theater for ¥10. At the theater there is a ticket booth to the left of the show entrance which sells tickets to both Spruce Meadow and Yak Meadow (¥80) and provides a tour bus to and from the cable cars and a cable car ticket. Be sure to find out what time the last bus passes the Impression Lijiang theater or you may find yourself calling a taxi which could be expensive. Also see "Impression Lijiang" info for entrance fees to the park itself. 

* Baisha Village (白沙村). A small village in Yulong Naxi Autonomous County, part of Lijiang city, well-known for its Jade Dragon Snow Mountain range. It is the original settlement of the Naxi people who came to the greater Lijiang Valley over a thousand years ago. Made up of at least 12 smaller villages, the main village is Sanyuan (三元村), which has one main stone street called of course, Baisha Street. It has a typical Chinese "old-town" tourist setup, consisting of a stone paved street with a mixture of Chinese trinket sellers-shops and several quaint cafés to stop at relax, have a drink some Yunnan coffee eat a Naxi Pie and avoid the crowded Lijiang. A great escape from Lijiang Old-town tourist trap, only 12 km north of town, you can rent a bike and get there in about 40 minutes.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
YOKOHAMA (3rd episode) Top Attractions for the second largest city in Japan (bigger than Osaka!):

CHINATOWN

Shoppers and diners daily throng the streets of Japan's largest Chinatown, located in central Yokohama, from sunup to sundown. More than 300 restaurants, food stalls, street vendors, and souvenir shops offer patrons authentic Chinese cuisine and wares. In addition, Chinatown boasts the Kantei-byo temple, constructed in 1873, and Daska, a theme park that invokes the feeling of Shanghai in the 1920s.

WATERFRONT DISTRICT

The Yokohama Waterfront District is home to several attractions in close proximity to each other. Go to Yokohama Stadium and catch the Bay Stars, of the Nippon Professional Baseball League, in action. Check out the Yokohama Archives of History to learn how Commodore Matthew Perry opened Japan to the western world. Discover the technology behind silk production and view exotic costumes at the Silk Museum. Or take a leisurely stroll through Yama****a Park, a 22-acre expanse of lush greenery, towards Yokohama Marine Tower, a commemorative inland lighthouse.

YOKOHAMA BAY BRIDGE

The Bay Bridge is one of two suspension bridges in Yokohama. It has a six-lane highway, as well as a pedestrian road, and stretches half a mile across Yokohama Bay towards Tokyo. Starting from the Sky Tower at the Daikoku Pier, visitors to the Bay Bridge can traverse the 1050-foot Sky Walk all the way to the Sky Lounge, where they can then enjoy a spectacular 360-degree view of Yokohama (and beyond) from the circular observatory.

HARBOR VIEW HILL PARK

This park sits atop a hill and features a raised platform that affords a breathtaking view of Yokohama Bay and the harbor. During the day, visitors to the park can watch ships pass in and out of the harbor, or spend time walking through the park's renowned rose gardens and after sunset the park has one of the best nighttime views of the blue-lit Bay Bridge.

RAMEN MUSEUM

The Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum offers visitors a unique opportunity to examine the history of RAMEN, which is a dish consisting of wheat-flour noodles served in variously flavored soups with assorted vegetable or meat toppings. Museum displays include handcrafted ramen bowls, instant ramen packages from around the world, ramen TV commercials that have aired during the last several decades, and even a ramen video game. The two lower levels of the museum house a re-creation of a typical Tokyo neighborhood from the 1950s, where visitors can enjoy a bygone era while sampling ramen from all over Japan.

MINATO MIRAI 21

Like the Waterfront District, the Minato Mirai 21 area near Yokohama Bay contains several neighboring attractions within walking distance of each other. Take one of the world's fastest elevators, complete with speedometer, up to the observatory deck on the 69th floor of the Yokohama Landmark Tower. Spend an afternoon contemplating contemporary masterpieces at the Yokohama Museum of Art. Roam the decks of the elegant Nippon Maru, a retired four-mast exploration ship. Or take a relaxing ride on Cosmo Clock 21, one of the tallest Ferris wheels in the world.

YOKOHAMA FOREIGN GENERAL CEMETERY

This Western-style cemetery is the final resting place for some 4,500 foreigners from more than 40 different countries. Among the people buried here are naval officers, missionaries, and scholars instrumental in the development of a more westernized Japan.

YOKOHAMA HAKKEIJIMA SEA PARADISE

Children and adults alike will delight in spending a day at the Hakkeijima Sea Paradise. Located on a manmade island at the edge of Yokohama Bay, the Sea Paradise features an amusement park with 14 thrilling rides (including a roller coaster that juts out over the bay) and a three-story aquarium that is home to more than 500 different kinds of fish.

YOKOHAMA BAY CRUISE

Experience a matchless view of Yokohama's skyline and its two suspension bridges from aboard a cruise ship in Yokohama Bay.

SANKEIEN JAPANESE GARDEN

This authentic Japanese garden sprawls across approximately 175,000 square meters in the Honmoku area of Yokohama. Sankeien is famed for its seasonal plum blossoms, cherry blossoms, chrysanthemums, and azaleas, as well as for its dazzling autumn colors when the leaves change. The garden grounds also include a three-story pagoda, a Buddhist sanctum, several tea ceremony houses, and other historical buildings that were transported in from different Japanese cities.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:44:20 PM by apskip »

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »
Good Job Guys!!! :wtg: I could never have done something like these maps!!

Neobie, I would love to know what site/program you use!!!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »
Map of Liechtenstein

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
VARANASI

Varanasi, India Sights › River
The River Ganges provides millions of Indians with an important link to their spirituality. Every day about 60,000 people go down to the Varanasi ghats to take a holy dip along a 7km stretch of the river. Along this same area, 30 large sewers are continuously discharging into the river. The Ganges River is so heavily polluted at Varanasi that the water is septic - no dissolved oxygen exists. The statistics get worse. Samples from the river show the water has 1.5 million faecal coliform bacteria per 100mL of water. In water that is safe for bathing this figure should be less than 500!

Ghats
Varanasi, India Sights › River
Spiritual life in Varanasi revolves around the ghats, the long string of bathing steps leading down to the water on the western bank of the Ganges. Most are used for bathing but there are also several 'burning ghats' where bodies are cremated in public - the main burning ghat is Manikarnika and you'll often see funeral processions threading their way through the backstreets to this ghat.

The best time to visit the ghats is at dawn when the river is bathed in a mellow light as pilgrims come to perform puja (literally 'respect'; offering or prayers) to the rising sun, and at sunset when the main ganga aarti ceremony takes place at Dasaswamedh Ghat. Around 80 ghats ghats border the river, but the main group extends from Assi Ghat, near the university, northwards to Raj Ghat, near the road and rail bridge. A one-hour boat trip from Dasaswamedh Ghat south to Harishchandra Ghat and back provides a good introduction to the river scene.  People come to the Ganges not only for a ritual bath but also to wash clothes, do yoga, offer blessings, buy paan (a mixture of betel nut and leaves for chewing), sell flowers, get a massage, play cricket, wash their buffaloes, improve their karma by giving to beggars, or simply hang around. This is traditional India at its most colourful and picturesque and photo opportunities abound.
Assi Ghat, furthest south of the main ghats, is particularly important as the River Asi meets the Ganges near here and pilgrims come to worship a Shiva lingam beneath a pipal tree. The ghats themselves were undergoing much-needed renovation at the time of writing and there are some interesting shops, cafés and excellent hotels here. Boat owners wait to take pilgrims and tourists upstream to Dasaswamedh Ghat.
Harishchandra Ghat is a cremation ghat - smaller and secondary in importance to Manikarnika - and one of the oldest ghats in Varanasi. Above it, Kedar Ghat has a shrine popular with Bengalis and South Indians. Mansarowar Ghat was built by Raja Man Singh of Amber and named after the Tibetan lake at the foot of Mt Kailash, Shiva's Himalayan home. Someswar Ghat (Lord of the Moon Ghat) is said to be able to heal diseases. The Munshi Ghat is very photogenic, while Ahalya Bai's Ghat is named after the female Maratha ruler of Indore. Varanasi's liveliest and most colourful ghat is Dasaswamedh Ghat, easily reached at the end of the main road from Godaulia Crossing. The name indicates that Brahma sacrificed (medh) 10 (das) horses (aswa) here. In spite of the oppressive boat-owners, flower-sellers and touts trying to drag you off to a silk shop, it's a wonderful place to linger and people-watch while soaking up the atmosphere. Note its statues and the shrine of Sitala, goddess of smallpox. Every evening at 19:00 an elaborate ganga aarti ceremony with puja, fire and dance) is staged here. Meer Ghat leads to a Nepali temple, which has erotic sculptures. Manikarnika Ghat is the main burning ghat and the most auspicious place for a Hindu to be cremated. Dead bodies are handled by outcasts known as doms, and they are carried through the alleyways of the old city to the holy Ganges on a bamboo stretcher swathed in cloth. The corpse is doused in the Ganges prior to cremation. Huge piles of firewood are stacked along the top of the ghat, each log carefully weighed on giant scales so that the price of cremation can be calculated. Each type of wood has its own price with sandalwood being the most expensive. There is an art to using just enough wood to completely incinerate a corpse. You can watch cremations but photography is strictly prohibited, and always show reverence by behaving respectfully.

Bharat Kala Bhavan
Varanasi, India Sights › Museum
On-campus at BHU is the Bharat Kala Bhavan, a roomy museum with a wonderful collection of miniature paintings as well as 12th-century palm-leaf manuscripts, sculptures and local history displays. An upstairs gallery is dedicated to Alice Boner, a Swiss sculptor and art historian who spent many years in Varanasi.

Bharat Mata Temple
Varanasi, India Sights › Religious, spiritual
The Bharat Mata Temple, built in 1918, has an unusual marble relief map of the Indian subcontinent inside.

Durga Temple
The small Durga Temple was built in the 18th century by a Bengali maharani and is stained red with ochre. Designed in North Indian Nagara style with a multitiered sikhara (spire), it is dedicated to Durga. Non-Hindus can enter the courtyard but not the inner sanctum.

Gyan Kupor Well
Gyan Kupor Well. The faithful believe drinking water from the Gyan Kupor Well leads to a higher spiritual plane, though they are prevented from doing so by both tradition and a strong security screen. The well is said to contain the Shiva lingam that was removed from the previous temple and hidden to protect it from Aurangzeb.

New Vishwanath Temple
Unlike most temples in Varanasi, the New Vishwanath is open to all, irrespective of religion, but architecturally is nothing special.

Ramnagar Fort Museum
Varanasi, India Sights › Museum
On the eastern bank of the Ganges, inside a crumbling but impressive 17th-century fort and palace is a haphazard museum. Exhibits include palanquins, howdahs, an astrological clock, clothing, weapons and other collectables. The maharaja still patronises the annual month-long Ram Lila drama festival held around here.

Tulsi Manas Temple
The modern marble, sikhara-style Tulsi Manas Temple was built in 1964. The two-tier walls are engraved with verses and scenes from the Ram Charit Manas, the Hindi version of the Ramayana. Its author, poet Tulsi Das, lived here while writing it.

Vishwanath Temple
This is the most popular Hindu temple in Varanasi and is dedicated to Vishveswara - Shiva as lord of the universe. The current temple was built in 1776 by Ahalya Bai of Indore, while the 800kg of gold plating on the tower and dome was supplied by Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Lahore 50 years later. There has been a succession of Shiva temples in the vicinity, but they were routinely destroyed by Muslim invaders. Aurangzeb continued this tradition, knocking down the previous temple and building the Gyanvapi Mosque, which still exists inside the temple complex.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
Legs 1, Sydney! (D'oh! Apskip reminded me. Manly map added.)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:22:30 PM by Neobie »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »
Neobie! :hearts:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 02:59:27 PM »
Broken Hill maps! Interesting note: teams didn't actually enter the Living Desert compound (it's surrounded by an electric fence), but did the tasks just outside the entrance.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:23:49 PM by Neobie »