Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Author Topic: TAR 18 Speculation and Discussion *contains Spoilers*  (Read 266813 times)

Offline countryboy270

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: TAR 18 Speculation and Discussion *contains Spoilers*
« Reply #2025 on: February 17, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Don't know if it has been posted, but here is a new article about the amazing race in my local newspaper (Go Gary and Mal!)
http://www.ucadvocate.com/articles/stories/public/201102/16/04Wz_local_news.html

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2026 on: February 17, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
Quote from: Advocate, via CountryBoy
Over 2,000 people work on the amazing race, with each team of two traveling with a camera operator, sound operator and safety expert
That's a new wrinkle; I knew about the cameraman and soundman, but I didn't know each team ran with a safety person.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2027 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Over 2,000 people work on the amazing race, with each team of two traveling with a camera operator, sound operator and safety expert
That's a new wrinkle; I knew about the cameraman and soundman, but I didn't know each team ran with a safety person.

I thought this was new, maybe they are trying to emphasize safety now. This person may also be trained in CPR or something.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2028 on: February 17, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »

I thought this was new, maybe they are trying to emphasize safety now. This person may also be trained in CPR or something.

I suspect that means that either the cameraman or the soundman or both have had some safety training now. You could easily require a safety course and a CPR/First Aid course and have them get it done in a couple of days.  We do that where I work in a single day, but their course might have to be a bit more rigorous than what we need for our desk jobs. Given that it's already a tight squeeze to get the racers, the soundman, the cameraman and their gear into a cab, I doubt they could add a safety person and get them all into a cab.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2029 on: February 17, 2011, 07:10:19 PM »
I suspect the least altitude affected racer will be Margie Adams........she lives in Denver and is a runner. I dont know where Luke lives now, but if he is back in Denver, he should adapt well. Short burst athletes dont do well with sudden change in altitude.......that means the Cowboys. Globes should be okay.......their year round basketball game will help them adapt faster. Any other runners will adapt quicker too.

I don't know how much physical activity they will have to do, but I have been at these elevations on multiple occasions and not suffered adverse effects. While at this altitude I participated in hiking and climbing etc. without becoming any more short of breath than normal. I can only remember a handful of instances on the Race when someone had serious trouble with altitude and/or physical activity.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone would have serious medical issues. I just thought that may find themselves seriously winded and not able to do much more than walk instead of run. I recall as a teenager being at 8000 feet and helping to chase my cousin's horse that got loose from it's enclosure. I was fine running around with everyone at first, but after about 10 minutes, I hit the wall and had to stop and sit down for a bit. It wasn't a medical issue of any seriousness, but if I had been racing, I would have lost valuable time. I agree that the trained athletes and experienced runners probably will not have any issues, but it did affect a fat out of shape kid like me.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2030 on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »

They don't.

This is clearly a "lost in translation" edit...

TAR has an extraordinary world class security team in place which I am sure is ever present. But no, not one person running the legs with a team...can you imagine trying to fit one more person in the backseat of those cars?? :funny:
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2031 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
I think Plaidmoon's explanation is what it actually means. The article is trying to say either that one of them is a "safety expert" or talking about this team. It is really poorly worded though.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2032 on: February 19, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
From here ( http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,24557.msg589789.html#msg589789 ) we know:
Season 18 has more medical treatments than Season 17, with the medical crew taking competitors to hospitals for stitches and hypothermia.

And from here ( http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23390.msg585567.html#msg585567 ) we know that...
Tokyo, Japan, where they must endure the freezing waters from Mount Fuji as part of a spiritual ritual.

Which leads me to speculate that someone - perhaps Mel and Mike White - get eliminated in a hospital in Japan where they are being treated for hypothermia...
Has Phil ever gone to a hospital to eliminate someone?
I believe there was a hospital elimination in TAR Israel...

BTW - do the teams travel to Oshino Hakkai - the 8 pools. I thought we knew where they went but I don't see it posted anywhere...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2033 on: February 20, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
^^ Fuji=hypothermia.  :'(
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2034 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:27 AM »
:o :'(

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #2035 on: February 20, 2011, 03:18:57 AM »
 :ascared  :'( :'(
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2036 on: February 21, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
I dont know if this has been discussed yet, but during the intro yesterday Margie and Luke were shown doing a task which looks it was clearly in India. This suggests they survive untill one of the two India legs.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2037 on: February 21, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »
I dont know if this has been discussed yet, but during the intro yesterday Margie and Luke were shown doing a task which looks it was clearly in India. This suggests they survive untill one of the two India legs.

Nope, this one from the intro is in Sydney ^^

They are wearing the same thing in both pics.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:53:50 PM by The Prophet »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2038 on: February 21, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »
I have the Intro now and will do caps later on!

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2039 on: February 21, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »

Nope, this one from the intro is in Sydney ^^

They are wearing the same thing in both pics.

I was just wondering, what makes this look like India?  :duno:
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2040 on: February 21, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »
PLT: I don't know. All I know is that Margie and Luke are wearing the same clothes in both pics. The first I capped out of the intro; the second one I capped out of episode one, when they were running out of the airport.

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2041 on: February 21, 2011, 02:13:28 PM »
PLT: I don't know. All I know is that Margie and Luke are wearing the same clothes in both pics. The first I capped out of the intro; the second one I capped out of episode one, when they were running out of the airport.

:js: That's true... Actually, don't all the intros have the racers in Sydney?
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2042 on: February 21, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
:js: That's true... Actually, don't all the intros have the racers in Sydney?

Either that or the starting line.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2043 on: February 21, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »
I'll be a little more specific here since in this thread we can reference spoilers.  In watching the totally revamped intro last night (I did replay it a couple of times afterward), it seemed to me that almost every clip (or just about all of them) are new; that is to say, even the clips of most of the world landmarks used before seem to be new material and not recycled from the SD-era intro. One for instance, is the Christ The Redeemer statute in Rio.

I recognize that some of the images were recycled (such as the one castle shot), but everything's been re-edited, and I got the impression that all of the Racer action clips are new.  I am sad to see the retirement of that opening CGI passenger jet, I've always thought that was a cool image, and I hate to see it gone.
-- theschnauzers

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2044 on: February 21, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
I think production really botched it with the Automatic U-Turn.

They should have had either no Automatic U-Turn or Automatic U-Turns for the last two teams because, as many of us know, every team that has ever had to perform a non-Double U-Turn has been eliminated (in the US version).

The only time that a U-Turned team avoided elimination was when two teams had to do the Double U-Turn, and, because there wasn't a double elimination on that leg, one of those two teams was going to avoid elimination.

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2045 on: February 22, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
At 0.29 on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAWg-FjFZes

It is clearly Luke and its in India one would presume.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:07:22 PM by ~RealityTVistheBest~ »
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2046 on: February 22, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
At 0.29 on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAWg-FjFZes

It is clearly Luke and its in India one would presume.

I didn't realize what you were talking about.
That may be Luke, now that you mention it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2047 on: February 22, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »
Does anybody think this looks like Luke?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2048 on: February 22, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
Could this be anybody?

Online Leafsfan

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2049 on: February 22, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »
In my opinion I have a gut feeling that is not a racer but was part of a challenge. Looks like its in China.
Rip apskip

Map Maker (Just Pm me!)

Custom Search