Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Author Topic: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**  (Read 96312 times)

Online Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**
« Reply #500 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
This is probably the tour mentioned; it's also mentioned in this article that I came across when I was researching the woodland-camo karts (I thought it might belong to a company, but it's a dead end; San Gorgonio isn't one farm, but a collection of dozens of farms/companies). Some trivia from the article:
  • It takes sustained wind speeds of 13mph (or more) to make a wind farm profitable
  • The older. lattice-style turbines are called "dumb" or "downwind" because they are fixed; the newer "smart" or "upwind" turbines can turn to face the wind

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Missing Apskip :(
« Reply #501 on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
Here is the Google Maps route from the start line to Park One at LAX.  As stated already, the predicted drive time is about 2 hours.

View Larger Map
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:27:03 PM by Chateau d If »
Documenting her Race Around the World:  Wild Eyes
Our children, what are they going to amount to?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #502 on: January 21, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
The aerial tram is in a canyon on the NE side of Mt San Jacinto, just west of the NW part of Palm Springs. There is a good road out of the canyon to that major road.

I doubt if it will prove to be of any use, but I rode on that aerial tram about 20 to 25 years ago. I don't remember it well enough to know where it was relative to the starting line. It was an interesting ride as there were several (5?) climatic regimes on the mountain from the desert floor at the bottom to an alpine environment at the top. I did some hiking on one or two of the trails at the top. I also remember having a good meal at the restaurant at the top of the tram.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #503 on: January 21, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #504 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »
Thanks amazing race fan ! and :welcome:  :waves:

FB :

(Person from near LA)

They're filming the amazing race in my airport!!!!! I need to join in on the travels lol

17 minutes ago via iPhone

(already contacted)

I'm calculating that this tweet went out at about 4:30 pm.  We later learned that the spotting was in the Food Court at the Tom Bradley International Terminal.  More figuring puts this team's arrival at LAX between 3:30  and 4:00 pm.  The 2 hour drive time estimate is very optimal and assumes the driver knows the best route and makes no errors.  I'd throw in 20 to 30 min of route inefficiency for being a crazed racer without a nav system.  That puts their Wind Farm departure in the range from 1:00 to 1:40 pm.  The rainbow start time* projects them to be starting the paper airplane task at about 12:30 pm.  

So, I'm guessing the paper airplane task took 30 to 70 minutes to complete.  What do you suppose they had to do?  Remember that the wind is blowing strong at this location all the time.  I would hate to have to catch a bunch of flying paper.  Especially next to that cliff!   :ascared

The most filmable scenario would be to have production dump 100's of planes from on top of the wind turbines near the cliff (behind Phil ) and have the racers chase them down as they fly over the desert floor.  It would not be that dangerous since the wind blows away from the cliff  :lol:

Can't Wait !   :trampb:

* Note that technically, the rainbow shot may not be the real start but just a staging shot taken as much as 30 min before the real thing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:45:37 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #505 on: January 21, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
If the Start Line is where we now think it is (yellow oval) it is actually in the NW 1/4 of T3S, R3E, Section 12.  It's even only barely in the SW 1/16 of that 1/4.  The path back to I-10, does go through the SW 1/4 listed in the film permit.

Offline JETandCORDfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #506 on: January 21, 2011, 04:59:35 PM »
I have driven on the I-10   many times. I have passed that wind farm once or twice, and as I live in El Segundo, witch is less than 2 miles to LAX, Usually there isn't much traffic there at 12:30 - 3:00pm , so that could take 10 - 30 minutes off of the drive.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #507 on: January 21, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »
I would also suspect that since it was a Saturday afternoon, traffic would have been much less than a weekday. But I like Chateau's timeline. I would think offhand, that Mel/Mike and Zev/Justin might know how to get to LAX since they are residents of the LA Basin. Amand/Kris might know too, but I doubt the others would know the way and will have to stop to get a map or directions. From reading the directions on Chateau's map, even though it looks likes a pretty direct route, there seems to be a lot of freeway switching along the way. Unless they have a lot signage for LAX......it would seem pretty easy to miss an exit to a tourist to the area.

I have not been on the highways and streets of LA since about 1960. I have flown in and out of LAX quite a few times since then, but never left the terminal. If it had been me, getting the clue to head to LAX from Whitewater. I could have done it without getting a map or asking directions. I don't know how much longer it would have taken. I decided to take a look at GE just to see if I was crazy. I would just have followed I-10 to I-405 and turned left. I do know that that route would get me close enough to see LAX signs on the freeway. Now if there is a lot of signage in El Monte to LAX..I might have followed the I-605 to the I-105. I guess it depends on what the clue in Phil's pocket says. If it is a gaurentee of a seat on the first flight...I dont think I would have stopped for a map or info. If it was race to the counter.....well then it depends on how many had left before me I guess.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:02:35 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #508 on: January 22, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »
cap from the racer individual interviews.

Name that city :lol:

"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #509 on: January 22, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
Honolulu

Offline JETandCORDfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #510 on: January 22, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
Yea, the I - 105 West takes you directly to LAX's ramp and terminal, although taking Pacific Coast Highway ( Interstate 1 ) would work too.

It is a pretty straight forward drive with 1 , 2 freeway changed depending on what teams want to do.

But in my opinion, Taking the I-10W to either I-105 W or the I 405 South will get them their around evenly.

So it will be interesting.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #511 on: January 22, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
...and this might be the "original".  See small boat?

Pic from here http://www.altusgroup.com/Content/Images/Honolulu_Web.jpg

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #512 on: January 22, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »
Honolulu

Great job......the palace in the lower left is there too.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #513 on: January 22, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
Honolulu

Great job......the palace in the lower left is there too.

AKA the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.  :tup:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #514 on: January 22, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
Thanks 2old!!

Now the question is...why this pic?? ??? No Hawaii for us, so why THIS one?

Thanks for the drive info J/C FAn!

So...who is taking a ROADTRIP?? :yess:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #515 on: January 22, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
Maybe there will be a "Hawaii Five-O" tie in somewhere?

And don't forget the one flight got diverted to Honolulu, and that may be why that shot is in there.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #516 on: January 22, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
So, can we tell the time of day by using a rainbow?   :lol3:

This shot was taken between 12:13 and 12:27 pm (assumes November 20th).

Okay...I give up?? HOW can you tell time by a rainbow??  Ask a leprechaun? :funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #517 on: January 22, 2011, 12:28:20 PM »

And don't forget the one flight got diverted to Honolulu, and that may be why that shot is in there.

ohhhh...I like it!! subtle snark!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #518 on: January 22, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »

ohhhh...I like it!! subtle snark!

Maybe they are going to try and pretend that they were supposed to go there.

More than likely it is just a good picture for that sort of thing since they were not counting on anybody figuring out where it is.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #519 on: January 22, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »

More than likely it is just a good picture for that sort of thing since they were not counting on anybody figuring out where it is.

"They" know us waaaay better than that!! :jam:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #520 on: January 22, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
In some of the earlier seasons, there were editors who were that subtle with the snark and timeline clues (four to nine, perhaps.) And then a new group came in that tended to be too literal-minded, and stopped telling us little details like how much money teams go and when they left the pitstop.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #521 on: January 22, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
In some of the earlier seasons, there were editors who were that subtle with the snark and timeline clues (four to nine, perhaps.) And then a new group came in that tended to be too literal-minded, and stopped telling us little details like how much money teams go and when they left the pitstop.

I know...why did the Race producers stop telling the dollar amounts and departure times? I have noticed this odd trend as well.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #522 on: January 22, 2011, 02:09:27 PM »
I thnk they are going to play up the diversion.......especially since it also happened on the flight from Hong Kong on the way to Japan. They could be setting up for the eliminations of those teams that were on that flight. It will make for good drama for the normal people that dont read spoilers.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #523 on: January 22, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
So, can we tell the time of day by using a rainbow?   :lol3:

This shot was taken between 12:13 and 12:27 pm (assumes November 20th).

Okay...I give up?? HOW can you tell time by a rainbow??  Ask a leprechaun? :funny:

I'm so glad you asked!   :wise

Rainbows only exist in the eyes of those who see them.  There is nothing but a mist of water drops at the spot where we see a rainbow.  They were first figured out by the Frenchman Rene Descartes in 1637.  Here is a good place to see the physics of the rainbow.  The long an short of it is that the sunlight comes from behind us, enters the distant water drop at about a 60 degree angle with respect to the drop's surface normal, reflects off the inside back-surface of the drop, exits the front of drop (not the same place as it came in), and then proceeds to our eyes.  There is a precise, color-dependent angle between our eyes, the drop , and the Sun:  40 to 42 degrees.  At each passage from air-to-water and water-to-air the sunlight is dispersed into its component colors.  The higher energy colors:   Blue, Indigo, Violet are more strongly dispersed.  That's why the rainbow colors go, in order from the outside to the inside:  Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

So, in the promo photo, there are two ways to use the rainbow to give the time of day.  One is to estimate the angle from horizontal up to the top of the bow.  Subtract that from 40 degrees and that gives the Solar altitude.  The Solar altitude gives two possible times of day (one for AM and one for PM).  The other way to use the Rainbow (and this was what I used) is to recognize that the top of the bow gives the direction to the Sun.  The Sun is 180 degrees from the top of the bow.  So all you have to do is know where the shot was taken and make a line from there to where the picture shows the top of the bow.  In our shot I used the mountain peaks in the distance to make a vector.  From that you get the Solar azimuth.  There is one time of day for any given Solar Azimuth.

Yes, this was my first rainbow. 

:smoke

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #524 on: January 22, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »
Good work, Chateau! You're a valuable detective to have around!

That all blows my mind for sure. All I think is  :colors
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:46:22 PM by The Prophet »

Custom Search