Author Topic: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**  (Read 217477 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**
« Reply #450 on: January 20, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
Excellent work, Chateau and company!  :hearts:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #451 on: January 20, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
cool

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #452 on: January 20, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »
I had a hard time trying to get that BLM site to work on my puter. They don't play nice with each other.

But in the SW/4 of Section 12 is a low promontory. In most of the older TARs, Phil was always on top of a skyscraper for the premier lead-in it seems. In TAR2 he was out in the middle of the dry lake and in TAR17 he was out on that hill on the golf course. I wonder if that is why that parcel of land was in the BLM permit. the_schnauzers comment above got me to thinking that that hill would make a good spot for his helicopter lead-in standup.

Also, the area that Chateau has identified just might be in Section 1 or 2 or 11. That area is north of 16th St and I dont think that 16th St is in Section 12. They all come together over there. Anyway, it is probably just my computer not working well with the BLM site software.

I guess they are driving those off road buggies to get to their cars for the drive to LAX. I didnt find any good access from that start line area to I-10, so I would think they will drive out to 62, then south to I-10.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #453 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
Using this shot from the promo I can get a better pin pointing of the start line.  The shot has a tall radio tower that is unique.  There are also those double pole transmission lines.  A far pair is nested inside a near pair.

That makes a line!  

There are 4 wind turbine towers in the back:  BT1, BT2, BT3, BT4
There are two wind turbine towers that are closer:  NT1, NT2
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:07:38 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #454 on: January 20, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
This shot was taken Here near the corner of 16th Avenue and Rock Mine Road.

There are 5 lines of sight in the shot that match GE  :tup:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #455 on: January 20, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »
WOW....just WOW!!~

:bow: :bow: :bow:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #456 on: January 20, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
Here is the bigger picture in case you are wondering just where we are...  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #457 on: January 20, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »
Here is the map now with north pointing up.  So the I10 is fairly nearby.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #458 on: January 20, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
And in this view you may see what I mean about Mount San Jacinto !!

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #459 on: January 20, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
Also its a 2 hour drive (4 hrs traffic) to get from there to LAX (of course by GoogleMaps)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #460 on: January 20, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »
And if you move the point of view about 100 feet to the west you get to see I10 come into view.

Because we are on the edge of a cliff overlooking the White Water arroyo (the yellow dots are the edge).  

I guess they did not want any tweets coming from people driving to Palm Springs  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:32:12 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #461 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
Here is a review of "Windmill Farm" from trip advisor...

Wonder if this spot is in their bounds?? And WHAT aerial tram?? :lol: Where is that? Is this where you are Chateau?

“4000 windmills generating electricity- an extraordinary sight!”
Windmill Farm
   AdelaidianTraveller   delaide Australia
Feb 24, 2010 You associate Palm Springs with extraordinary sights of natural beauty.

Add this to the list of extraordinary sights! Located on I-20 just outside of Palm Springs is a massive windmill farm generating electricity. There are windmills of all sizes.

You can drive by (adjacent to the highway) or take a guided tour through the "forest" of windmills.

Apparently the wind farm comprises more than 4000 separate windmills, and they generate sufficient electricity to supply power to Palm Springs and the entire Coachella Valley.

You can see the windmills adjacent to the highway as you enter or leave Palm Spings. Also, if you take the Aerial Tram, you'll see a panoramic aerial view of the farm.

It's an extraordinary sight, and easily accessible.

You can do a 90 minute tour of the wind farm- four tours are conducted daily- they ask you to make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #462 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »
I think the cable tramway goes up the east side of Mt San Jacinto from Palm Springs. We are looking at the north side of the mountain.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #463 on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
Hmmm... thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #464 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »
So, can we tell the time of day by using a rainbow?   :lol3:

This shot was taken between 12:13 and 12:27 pm (assumes November 20th).

edited to embed photo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:19:33 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #465 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »
The aerial tram is in a canyon on the NE side of Mt San Jacinto, just west of the NW part of Palm Springs. There is a good road out of the canyon to that major road.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #466 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
This is probably the tour mentioned; it's also mentioned in this article that I came across when I was researching the woodland-camo karts (I thought it might belong to a company, but it's a dead end; San Gorgonio isn't one farm, but a collection of dozens of farms/companies). Some trivia from the article:
  • It takes sustained wind speeds of 13mph (or more) to make a wind farm profitable
  • The older. lattice-style turbines are called "dumb" or "downwind" because they are fixed; the newer "smart" or "upwind" turbines can turn to face the wind

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #467 on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
Here is the Google Maps route from the start line to Park One at LAX.  As stated already, the predicted drive time is about 2 hours.

View Larger Map
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:27:03 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
The aerial tram is in a canyon on the NE side of Mt San Jacinto, just west of the NW part of Palm Springs. There is a good road out of the canyon to that major road.

I doubt if it will prove to be of any use, but I rode on that aerial tram about 20 to 25 years ago. I don't remember it well enough to know where it was relative to the starting line. It was an interesting ride as there were several (5?) climatic regimes on the mountain from the desert floor at the bottom to an alpine environment at the top. I did some hiking on one or two of the trails at the top. I also remember having a good meal at the restaurant at the top of the tram.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #469 on: January 21, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »
Thanks amazing race fan ! and :welcome:  :waves:

FB :

(Person from near LA)

They're filming the amazing race in my airport!!!!! I need to join in on the travels lol

17 minutes ago via iPhone

(already contacted)

I'm calculating that this tweet went out at about 4:30 pm.  We later learned that the spotting was in the Food Court at the Tom Bradley International Terminal.  More figuring puts this team's arrival at LAX between 3:30  and 4:00 pm.  The 2 hour drive time estimate is very optimal and assumes the driver knows the best route and makes no errors.  I'd throw in 20 to 30 min of route inefficiency for being a crazed racer without a nav system.  That puts their Wind Farm departure in the range from 1:00 to 1:40 pm.  The rainbow start time* projects them to be starting the paper airplane task at about 12:30 pm.  

So, I'm guessing the paper airplane task took 30 to 70 minutes to complete.  What do you suppose they had to do?  Remember that the wind is blowing strong at this location all the time.  I would hate to have to catch a bunch of flying paper.  Especially next to that cliff!   :ascared

The most filmable scenario would be to have production dump 100's of planes from on top of the wind turbines near the cliff (behind Phil ) and have the racers chase them down as they fly over the desert floor.  It would not be that dangerous since the wind blows away from the cliff  :lol:

Can't Wait !   :trampb:

* Note that technically, the rainbow shot may not be the real start but just a staging shot taken as much as 30 min before the real thing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:45:37 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #471 on: January 21, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
If the Start Line is where we now think it is (yellow oval) it is actually in the NW 1/4 of T3S, R3E, Section 12.  It's even only barely in the SW 1/16 of that 1/4.  The path back to I-10, does go through the SW 1/4 listed in the film permit.

Offline JETandCORDfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #472 on: January 21, 2011, 04:59:35 PM »
I have driven on the I-10   many times. I have passed that wind farm once or twice, and as I live in El Segundo, witch is less than 2 miles to LAX, Usually there isn't much traffic there at 12:30 - 3:00pm , so that could take 10 - 30 minutes off of the drive.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #473 on: January 21, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »
I would also suspect that since it was a Saturday afternoon, traffic would have been much less than a weekday. But I like Chateau's timeline. I would think offhand, that Mel/Mike and Zev/Justin might know how to get to LAX since they are residents of the LA Basin. Amand/Kris might know too, but I doubt the others would know the way and will have to stop to get a map or directions. From reading the directions on Chateau's map, even though it looks likes a pretty direct route, there seems to be a lot of freeway switching along the way. Unless they have a lot signage for LAX......it would seem pretty easy to miss an exit to a tourist to the area.

I have not been on the highways and streets of LA since about 1960. I have flown in and out of LAX quite a few times since then, but never left the terminal. If it had been me, getting the clue to head to LAX from Whitewater. I could have done it without getting a map or asking directions. I don't know how much longer it would have taken. I decided to take a look at GE just to see if I was crazy. I would just have followed I-10 to I-405 and turned left. I do know that that route would get me close enough to see LAX signs on the freeway. Now if there is a lot of signage in El Monte to LAX..I might have followed the I-605 to the I-105. I guess it depends on what the clue in Phil's pocket says. If it is a gaurentee of a seat on the first flight...I dont think I would have stopped for a map or info. If it was race to the counter.....well then it depends on how many had left before me I guess.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:02:35 PM by DrRox »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #474 on: January 22, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »
cap from the racer individual interviews.

Name that city :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule: