Author Topic: Who Do You Think Will Win TAR 17?  (Read 65518 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Who Do You Think Will Win TAR 17?
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
the-pr0phet et al,

I only thing I know you mean is by the words you use. If it's not what you mean, then use the proper word. No one here is a mind reader.

I, personally, do not see any rigging or stacking this year. I do not think they set this TAR up for a female team to win. What I do see by looking at that list is the norm that TAR uses is 3 FF teams.....in this case, Nat/Kat, Brooke/Claire, and Katie/Rachel fit the norm. Even though Andie/Jenna are FF.....I really think to myself that they are certainly more unique than that...

Andie/Jenna is a unique storyline beside just being another FF team. Just as Peter/Sarah was more than being just a couple and Margie/Luke was more than just being a Parent/Child team. Sometime teams do just not fit in the "relationship" boxes.

I can understand that thinking and even agree with it, but that explanation does not reflect your original, extreme reaction.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
So what we have accomplished in our strange discussions is this: there is weight in the theory that the quality of TAR 17's FF teams is better than that of past FF teams. Having said this, I believe that the quality of the couples and MM teams has diminished this season.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:31:39 PM by the-pr0phet »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »
I was just thinking about strong women teams, I would have thought that Katie & Rachel would have been one of the strongest teams in the race, they know how to compete, know each other well, are athletes, and yet they got behind and never could catch up. So many imponderables.

Back on topic, I have no idea who will win but it's probably a good guess that Brook/Claire or Nat/Kat were surely competing to win wherever the final mat ended up. (Where DID they go after they landed at LA?)

Let's move this discussion on, I'm beginning to think maybe it should just be ended.  :eye:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »
Nobody knows if the F3 even stayed in LA, Texas. They did a good job hiding the teams.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:55:50 PM by the-pr0phet »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »
Nobody knows if the F3 even stayed in LA, Texas. They did a good job hiding the teams.

Exactly! We don't know and TPTB temporarily at least have us guessing.  :lol:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »

Exactly! We don't know and TPTB temporarily at least have us guessing.  :lol:

But based on the famous Hong Kong picture and the sightings of N\V with production, we can make an educated guess.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »

But based on the famous Hong Kong picture and the sightings of N\V with production, we can make an educated guess.

Which has what to do with LA? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »

Which has what to do with LA? ???

The point of this forum is for us to guess at which of those will win. It doesn't help us know where they are though.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:42 PM »

The point of this forum is for us to guess at which of those will win.

You really believe that? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »
Personally I would love to find out that Jill & Thomas won.  That they were actually on that flight (or an earlier one though that is highly doubtful with the type of planning done on the last half dozen final legs).

I have no problem with any of the final three teams winning as all have had strong legs, all have had poor legs, and all seem to be actually racing...through this season.

But I have never really wanted a female team to win if their was a feeling like casting was trying to help enable it, by either casting softer competition, or by casting more.  Just like season four seemed to just hand over the race to one of the many male teams cast.

As for casting soft the productions type of male casting has changed dramatically over the years, even going so far in all stars as not considering them for spots (I still get upset about that).  Seasons 11, 12, 13, and 14 featured no fit athletic young male teams.  Though with season 15 you had Sam and Dan and while Flight Time is over 30 they certainly were physically strong so lets count them as well and 16 had Jet & Cord (again I think one was in their 30's or 30) but they were physically fit so I would count them.  And of course 17 back to no fit young athletic male teams.

Of course with the race a good chuck is luck and teams that on paper should do well can do terrible.  

I would rather have just seen a female team win against strong male teams, as well as fit young couple teams.  Thats probably my only real complaint.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:21:10 PM by mswood »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2010, 07:54:51 AM »
Personally I would love to find out that Jill & Thomas won.  That they were actually on that flight (or an earlier one though that is highly doubtful with the type of planning done on the last half dozen final legs).

I have no problem with any of the final three teams winning as all have had strong legs, all have had poor legs, and all seem to be actually racing...through this season.

But I have never really wanted a female team to win if their was a feeling like casting was trying to help enable it, by either casting softer competition, or by casting more.  Just like season four seemed to just hand over the race to one of the many male teams cast.

As for casting soft the productions type of male casting has changed dramatically over the years, even going so far in all stars as not considering them for spots (I still get upset about that).  Seasons 11, 12, 13, and 14 featured no fit athletic young male teams.  Though with season 15 you had Sam and Dan and while Flight Time is over 30 they certainly were physically strong so lets count them as well and 16 had Jet & Cord (again I think one was in their 30's or 30) but they were physically fit so I would count them.  And of course 17 back to no fit young athletic male teams.

Of course with the race a good chuck is luck and teams that on paper should do well can do terrible.  

I would rather have just seen a female team win against strong male teams, as well as fit young couple teams.  Thats probably my only real complaint.

Your statement could be reversed to say that a FF team has never had a chance before because of all the athletic MM teams. They decided not to cast any of those this year, maybe they are trying to give the FF teams a chance.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:31:56 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2010, 08:41:47 AM »

But I have never really wanted a female team to win if their was a feeling like casting was trying to help enable it, by either casting softer competition, or by casting more.  Just like season four seemed to just hand over the race to one of the many male teams cast.

Your little complaint could be reversed to say that a FF team has never had a chance before because of all the athletic MM teams.

I'm biased and i don't care. I just want an all-female team to win. And it's not about alpha male teams or what. The last time we had all-female teams in the final 3, (TAR 14 and Allstars except TAR 10).. they all lost against a co-ed team. In fact in all-stars, both Charla and Mirna and BQs lost against Eric and Danielle, who're weaker than them.

And no to Jill and Thomas winning. It will kill my TAR appetite, i'm serious.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »

Your little complaint could be reversed to say that a FF team has never had a chance before because of all the athletic MM teams.

I'm biased and i don't care. I just want an all-female team to win. And it's not about alpha male teams or what. The last time we had all-female teams in the final 3, (TAR 14 and Allstars except TAR 10).. they all lost against a co-ed team. In fact in all-stars, both Charla and Mirna and BQs lost against Eric and Danielle, who're weaker than them.

Now you see why people like Nat&Kat and Brooke&Claire have come on the race-to be the first FF team to win.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »

The point of this forum is for us to guess at which of those will win.

You really believe that? ???

Sorry if you thought I meant the whole forum. I was referring to this particular topic I created.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »

Won't entirely kill my TAR appetite, but it will spoil the whole season for me.

Belle Book

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »

Belle Book

If the editors continue creating "surprise" finishes, such as last season's finish, they may turn viewers away, which makes me rethink my editing theory. :ascared
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:19:09 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Zatchbellcool

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2010, 11:49:32 AM »
Hello Everyone!!

I just wanted to give my two cents on who I think will win. I've noticed something ever since I started watching TAR (And of course going back to seasons before I started).
What I've noticed with Editing is that The first team introduced (Or First team to appear in the theme sequence) NEVER win.

So, For example this season, The first team introduced by Phil is Brooke and Claire and the first team on the Theme is Nick and Vicki. I personally don't think those two teams win (Due to the Nick and Vicki spoilers) but I am rooting for Brooke and Clair (Because as much as I use this method, I still think it can fail).

I can give an example of how I knew Dan and Jordan won within the first 10 minuets of watching the premier. Thanks to RFF spoilers I found out the Final 3 was Jet and Cord, Brent and Caiti and Dan and Jordan. I noticed B/C were introduced First by Phil and J/C were First in the Theme music.

So I hope this helps ANY (Still keep in mind, this can fail. So don't take it for gold :P)
-ZBC

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
Hello Everyone!!

I just wanted to give my two cents on who I think will win. I've noticed something ever since I started watching TAR (And of course going back to seasons before I started).
What I've noticed with Editing is that The first team introduced (Or First team to appear in the theme sequence) NEVER win.

So, For example this season, The first team introduced by Phil is Brooke and Claire and the first team on the Theme is Nick and Vicki. I personally don't think those two teams win (Due to the Nick and Vicki spoilers) but I am rooting for Brooke and Clair (Because as much as I use this method, I still think it can fail).

I can give an example of how I knew Dan and Jordan won within the first 10 minuets of watching the premier. Thanks to RFF spoilers I found out the Final 3 was Jet and Cord, Brent and Caiti and Dan and Jordan. I noticed B/C were introduced First by Phil and J/C were First in the Theme music.

So I hope this helps ANY (Still keep in mind, this can fail. So don't take it for gold :P)
-ZBC

Can you remember who was first on these in other seasons?

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »

Belle Book

I'm about more where you are, Belle Book, than Joab.  Wouldn't make me give up the show, but it'd be a very sour ending to what's turning out to be an otherwise great season so far.

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »
Hello Everyone!!

-ZBC

Can you remember who was first on these in other seasons?
I don't remember all the first teams introduced by Phil, but I know who was first in every opening sequence.

TAR1: Paul & Amie
TAR2: Blake & Paige
TAR3: Heather & Eve
TAR4: Kelly & Jon
TAR5: Brandon & Nicole
TAR6: Kris & Jon
TAR7: Debbie & Bianca
TAR8: Gaghan Family
TAR9: Dave & Lori
TAR10: Peter & Sarah
TAR11: Rob & Amber
TAR12: Marianna & Julia
TAR13: Nick & Starr
TAR14: Preston & Jennifer
TAR15: Brian & Ericka
TAR16: Jet & Cord
TAR17: Nick & Vicki

Only seven of these teams have made the F3, and only one of them has won.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »
Hello Everyone!!

-ZBC
Correlation does not imply causation. Keep in mind that having 11-12 teams and only one winner, it is very difficult to have a winner in the first intro slot if they are put randomly.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2010, 07:54:45 PM »
I think this is the year for an all female team to win.

Brook/Claire or Nat/Kat

Me too.  I want Nat & Kat to win (as you can tell from my avatar) but I'll be happy with a Brook & Claire win.

Belle Book

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »
Personally I would love to find out that Jill & Thomas won.  That they were actually on that flight (or an earlier one though that is highly doubtful with the type of planning done on the last half dozen final legs).

But I have never really wanted a female team to win if their was a feeling like casting was trying to help enable it, by either casting softer competition, or by casting more.  Just like season four seemed to just hand over the race to one of the many male teams cast.

As for casting soft the productions type of male casting has changed dramatically over the years, even going so far in all stars as not considering them for spots (I still get upset about that).  Seasons 11, 12, 13, and 14 featured no fit athletic young male teams.  Though with season 15 you had Sam and Dan and while Flight Time is over 30 they certainly were physically strong so lets count them as well and 16 had Jet & Cord (again I think one was in their 30's or 30) but they were physically fit so I would count them.  And of course 17 back to no fit young athletic male teams.

I would rather have just seen a female team win against strong male teams, as well as fit young couple teams.  Thats probably my only real complaint.

Your statement could be reversed to say that a FF team has never had a chance before because of all the athletic MM teams. They decided not to cast any of those this year, maybe they are trying to give the FF teams a chance.
Why could my point be that.  I think a fit athletic female team should be capable of doing well against a fit athletic young couple and a fit athletic male team.  The biggest reason women have underperformed in the race isn't lack of strength.  Which is the one place you could rationally argue that Alpha male teams might be superior to Athletic women (in fact it depends on the individuals I hate blanket statements), but that hasn't traditionally been what has done in teams.  Driving (More female teams have not known how to drive stick then men teams, why?), self navigation (reading maps, compasses), and more task choices.  And historically the physically strongest teams aren't the teams that win?  So I don't think I would ever make that call.  There are a few exceptions (season 1, season 2 are the only two where the physical strongest team was the team to win). 

And I reiterate (I think I should have put this statement first not second), I like all three final three teams (about even actually) both in personality and in performance skills.  I have to problem with any of them winning.

I don't just want Nat & Kat or Brook & Claire to win due to the fact that they are women.  And you see comments that state I want this team to win because I want to see a female team win, anything else would ruin a season for me (and I find comments like that just utterly outlandish).  I have never used genetic factors as a primary reason for why I root for teams.  First and foremost I root for teams that race (and why I was so disappointed by last season across the board), 2nd how they interact with each other and their environment (You be mean to locals and more then once then I am going to have a hard time liking you no matter how well you race), and how well you play with other teams.  Wil and Tara strong racers, but treated each other poorly, treated locals poorly and treated other teams poorly, so no matter that they race well I would never root for them (an example).

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2010, 10:50:34 PM »
Personally I would love to find out that Jill & Thomas won.  That they were actually on that flight (or an earlier one though that is highly doubtful with the type of planning done on the last half dozen final legs).

As for casting soft the productions type of male casting has changed dramatically over the years, even going so far in all stars as not considering them for spots (I still get upset about that).  Seasons 11, 12, 13, and 14 featured no fit athletic young male teams.  Though with season 15 you had Sam and Dan and while Flight Time is over 30 they certainly were physically strong so lets count them as well and 16 had Jet & Cord (again I think one was in their 30's or 30) but they were physically fit so I would count them.  And of course 17 back to no fit young athletic male teams.

I would rather have just seen a female team win against strong male teams, as well as fit young couple teams.  Thats probably my only real complaint.

Why could my point be that.  I think a fit athletic female team should be capable of doing well against a fit athletic young couple and a fit athletic male team.  The biggest reason women have underperformed in the race isn't lack of strength.  Which is the one place you could rationally argue that Alpha male teams might be superior to Athletic women (in fact it depends on the individuals I hate blanket statements), but that hasn't traditionally been what has done in teams.  Driving (More female teams have not known how to drive stick then men teams, why?), self navigation (reading maps, compasses), and more task choices.  And historically the physically strongest teams aren't the teams that win?  So I don't think I would ever make that call.  There are a few exceptions (season 1, season 2 are the only two where the physical strongest team was the team to win). 

And I reiterate (I think I should have put this statement first not second), I like all three final three teams (about even actually) both in personality and in performance skills.  I have to problem with any of them winning.

I don't just want Nat & Kat or Brook & Claire to win due to the fact that they are women.  And you see comments that state I want this team to win because I want to see a female team win, anything else would ruin a season for me (and I find comments like that just utterly outlandish).  I have never used genetic factors as a primary reason for why I root for teams.  First and foremost I root for teams that race (and why I was so disappointed by last season across the board), 2nd how they interact with each other and their environment (You be mean to locals and more then once then I am going to have a hard time liking you no matter how well you race), and how well you play with other teams.  Wil and Tara strong racers, but treated each other poorly, treated locals poorly and treated other teams poorly, so no matter that they race well I would never root for them (an example).
Then by all means, feel the way you want, but let the rest of us feel the way we want.  That okay with you?  Huh?

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:55 PM »
Of course.  I never said people couldn't.  I just said I don't understand it. 

Sam as I don't understand fans who like confrontational racers, and yet there are fans who think thats the most entertaining racers.

Or I know people who aren't that happy with this season due to a lack of in your face confrontation, yet thats one of the reasons this is my favorite season in a long, long time.