Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."  (Read 240641 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 17 EP 12 (FINALE) "Hi. I'm sorry. I'm in a Race."
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
I wonder where this is... could it be related to that room J/T are in

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:45:34 AM by the-pr0phet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2010, 08:26:04 AM »
There is no reason to believe BC did not win just b\c they were racing to the choppers an hour before the finish line vid was recorded.

What do you think they are doing at the Rose Bowl?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:39:03 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »
I think you were right the first time, Prophet. N4TV is a Eurocopter AS 350 (photo source page). The other helos in the promo have a paint job that doesn't quite match the rest of the owner's (Coastal Aircharter) fleet, though.

Thanks slowhatch!

It was confusing since B/C were in a Bell 206 and there is a Bell 206 with that number. I guess they are using Coastal then?

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
Just going through all the points made so far and I think I've connected a couple of dots.

In the shot of the bridge, as J/T are falling, it appears that the bungee on their left has already been used.

In another shot of J/T before they jump, it appears that B/C are on their right, waiting to jump.

This suggests that N/K are the first to complete their jump and have left before either other team jumps.

So after the jump we have N/K in 1st, J/T in 2nd and B/C in 3rd.

:(

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »
Just going through all the points made so far and I think I've connected a couple of dots.

In the shot of the bridge, as J/T are falling, it appears that the bungee on their left has already been used.

In another shot of J/T before they jump, it appears that B/C are on their right, waiting to jump.

This suggests that N/K are the first to complete their jump and have left before either other team jumps.

So after the jump we have N/K in 1st, J/T in 2nd and B/C in 3rd.
 :(

Not necessarily. Although since NK appear to be at the Rose Bowl when BC are getting on their choppers a case could be made that NK are ahead of the other two. What I am not clear on is where BC are in that picture.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:20:09 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2010, 09:08:31 AM »
 :bigwelcome to all the RFF Newbies who are joining in this exciting discussion!

Offline bevsee

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »
Hi Guys, I'm new here, so bear with me.
I found out something interesting while looking at the bungee jumping pictures.
Notice in the first picture, as mentioned in the earlier post, the left bungee seems already been used.
If that's correct, then Nat n Kat are the first team to do the task. Look at picture 2.
You can see the wire behind Nat, compare it to the first picture, it has to be the left bungee they are using.
Also, Thomas & Jill did the task second followed by Brook & Claire.
See the 3 and 4 picture, Thomas is positioned further from the pole then Brook & Claire, which means Thomas & Jill went to middle bungee and Brook & Claire to the right one.
Just my thought. :)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2010, 09:57:22 AM »
Nice job bevsee!!

:welcome2: to RFF!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2010, 09:59:25 AM »
Notice in the first picture, as mentioned in the earlier post, the left bungee seems already been used.
If that's correct, then Nat n Kat are the first team to do the task. Look at picture 2.
You can see the wire behind Nat, compare it to the first picture, it has to be the left bungee they are using.
See the 3 and 4 picture, Thomas is positioned further from the pole then Brook & Claire, which means Thomas & Jill went to middle bungee and Brook & Claire to the right one.

:welcome2: That does make sense to me. It looks like that at least for the first part of the leg that is the correct order. JT and BC appear to be right on top of each other. JT will probably gain a little since BC will not start the jump until they are done. If I remember correctly chateau said the flight from the tower to the rose bowl is about 18 minutes, that's probably about how far ahead NK are.

However we must keep in mind that we don't know what other tasks may be between the jump and the final task. There could be another task in the Rose bowl or somewhere else and the order can change. These margins of leading and trailing are not very long and can easily be overcome or maintained. There is no way to know.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »

That was one quality post. Seriously. Welcome to RFF and thanks for the valuable post! You just solved the mystery of what the positions at the bungee are for the three teams and it could turn out to be REALLY useful! :tup:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »
Now I am not sure about my Coastal Charters theory. BC are running by a sign for Island Express.

Check out the logo in the cap below and the one from their website. http://www.islandexpress.com/

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »

:welcome2: That does make sense to me. It looks like that at least for the first part of the leg that is the correct order. JT and BC appear to be right on top of each other. JT will probably gain a little since BC will not start the jump until they are done. If I remember correctly chateau said the flight from the tower to the rose bowl is about 18 minutes, that's probably about how far ahead NK are.

However we must keep in mind that we don't know what other tasks may be between the jump and the final task. There could be another task in the Rose bowl or somewhere else and the order can change. These margins of leading and trailing are not very long and can easily be overcome or maintained. There is no way to know.

I know you're holding out hope for Brook & Claire, but I agree with you that Nat & Kat are at least 18 minutes ahead and even though there might be other tasks ahead, if Nat said the quote that means she & Kat will probably win and I'm going to be one happy camper!  However, Brook & Claire might catch up to Jill & Thomas before the Pit Stop and pass them.

Belle Book

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2010, 10:26:10 AM »
Oh no, Nat and Kat being in first gives me the feeling that they're gonna be passed by Jill and Thomas to the finish line! I don't know, because other than TAR 16, the initial leading team usually ends up second. And if it's a finale we won't wanna miss, I'm sure it's gonna be exciting and perhaps the positions keep changing or something. I doubt we'll have a team leading all the way. Hmm.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Island Express claims to only have a heliport at the Queen Mary but after a little digging I found this: http://www.catalina.com/directions.html#Long (scroll down to the San Pedro heading)

That heliport is here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Catalina+Air+Sea+Terminal+Building&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GPEA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Here is possible proof that IEX uses Eurocopter AS-350's:
http://www.mcmc-law.com/recent-notable-cases/catalina-island-helicopter-crash-2/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:32:35 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »
This shot might help clarify things regarding timing.

It is part of the clip shot from a production helicopter that starts out zoomed in on Jill & Thomas in position at their drop station.  As it zooms out we get this freeze.  What the freeze show is that all three drop stations have not yet released.  You can asses the 'not yet released' by looking at the way the thick part of the cords makes an angle (not 90) as is hangs over the beam.  That is because the lines are snugged up near the drop station.  After release the lines hang limp over the beam making a 90  degree angle to go straight down.

What this tells me is that Nat & Kat are also in drop position and ready to be released from the farthest out station.

The preview cuts to a new clip from the production helicopter that was taken after Nat & Kat have released and Jill & Thomas are in free fall.

This torques my shadow times a bit but I think it can still fit together:

'fuzzy time'  activity
12:25          BC get to chopper pad (I had 12:41 to 12:49 pm, 12:25 is as low as I can go)
12:35          BC have reached cranes, climbed, are walking on the gang plank.  This was when they appear behind Thomas.
12:37          JT are in drop position (this was when the 1st helio clip was made
12:37          NK release from their drop position
12:39          JT  release from their drop position, 2nd helio clip (NK already lowered to the raft).
1:05            NK arrive at the Rose Bowl  (I had 12:56 to 12:59 pm, maybe 1:05 is okay)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:50:19 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »
So, after completing the bungee swing, I would say that the teams are in this order with no more that 5 to 10 minutes between each team.

1)  Nat & Kat
2)  Jill & Thomas
3)  Brooke & Claire

It's going to come down to that brain challenge and cabbie luck   :cmaslol

And  I wonder how they get cabs at the Rose Bowl?   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:06:52 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »
So, after completing the bungee swing, I would say that the teams are in this order with no more that 5 to 10 minutes between each team.

1)  Nat & Kat
2)  Jill & Thomas
3)  Brooke & Claire

It's going to come down to that brain challenge and cabbie luck   :cmaslol

And  I wonder how they get cabs at the Rose Bowl?   

Thanks for fleshing that out, the teams are obviously quite close.

I think there must be some other kind of task, surely there is a RB somewhere.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:29:41 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »
I love you geeks. :kuss:

That is amazingly....awesome!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline milanissimo

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
I have a question,I'm really confused .. :xmas146 :xmas146
The memory task is before the bungee  task.. right???

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2010, 01:26:53 PM »

I don't think so. First the teams land at LAX, then they drive to the Catalina heliport and fly to the bungee crane. After the jump they fly to the Rose Bowl and do something.

I can see why you are confused. According to what WP just said they are driving to the mansion after the Rose Bowl. Maybe the RB is at the bowl and the final task is either at the mansion or nearby. :duno:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »

I don't think so. First the teams land at LAX, then they drive to the Catalina heliport and fly to the bungee crane. After the jump they fly to the Rose Bowl and do something.

I can see why you are confused. According to what WP just said they are driving to the mansion after the Rose Bowl. Maybe the RB is at the bowl and the final task is either at the mansion or nearby. :duno:
They could stop anywhere between the Rose Bowl and Greystone - e.g. there are quite a few studios along the 134/101 where the memory task could happen. The important thing is that they are in the 134 corridor when they head to Greystone or else it wouldn't make sense to take Cherokee.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »

They could stop anywhere between the Rose Bowl and Greystone - e.g. there are quite a few studios along the 134/101 where the memory task could happen. The important thing is that they are in the 134 corridor when they head to Greystone or else it wouldn't make sense to take Cherokee.

Good point. It will be interesting if they are not that far from the finish line while doing the task.

Offline milanissimo

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »
Chateau  says that Nat and Kat are at the Rose Bowl  at 1:05  (propably they are first) and....

This shot was taken between 1:36 and 1:44 pm (assumes June 15th).

so ...Probably the winners  arrive at finish line  between 1:36 and 1:44 pm
Considering that they need to go by cab from Pasadena to Beverly hills(final pit stop)...the distance is about 20 miles...
I think there are no more tasks ...after bungee and helicopter .....and probably ...pasadena is final route info, there isn't enough time....

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2010, 01:52:56 PM »
Chateau  says that Nat and Kat are at the Rose Bowl  at 1:05  (propably they are first) and....

This shot was taken between 1:36 and 1:44 pm (assumes June 15th).

so ...Probably the winners  arrive at finish line  between 1:36 and 1:44 pm
Considering that they need to go by cab from Pasadena to Beverly hills(final pit stop)...the distance is about 20 miles...
I think there are no more tasks ...after bungee and helicopter .....and probably ...pasadena is final route info, there isn't enough time....

The winners did not necessarily arrive at this time. This could merely be the time they recorded this video; we do not know.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:07:09 PM by the-pr0phet »