Author Topic: TAR 17 EP 8 "Ali Baba in a Suit" (Muscat, Oman)  (Read 78656 times)

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
Re: TAR 17 EP 8 "Ali Baba in a Suit" (Muscat, Oman)
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2010, 02:40:22 AM »
I would only wish happiness for Chad and Stephanie.

I know VERY well that what you see on TV does not always reflect who racers are in life. Editing is a very powerful tool.

That's the only pity of TV... :lol:

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2010, 06:28:22 AM »
This was in the Australian TV Guide: "Travelling 51,500km and covering four continents and 30 cities" Old news???

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2010, 06:56:20 AM »
Yes...

CBS Press release:

CBS ANNOUNCES THE CAST FOR THE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF "THE AMAZING RACE," WHICH PREMIERES WITH A SPECIAL 90-MINUTE DEBUT ON SUNDAY, SEPT. 26
11 Teams Will Travel Over 32,000 Miles, Spanning Four Continents and 30 Cities, with Inaugural Visits to Bangladesh, Ghana and a Trek Deep into the Arctic Circle

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23200.msg559055.html#msg559055
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »
Well, its more like a clip. It helps expand our knowledge of the roadblock.

Quick thoughts:

Chad/Stephanie and Jill/Thomas are at the Roadblock at the same general time.

It looks like one racer can rappel at a time. Maybe this is a "pull off numbers" task.

We didn't know about the searching part at all.

Do any of the views help establish where they are or the time of day?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:22:37 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2010, 10:34:36 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been brought up (I didn't see it here) but... Chad and Stephanie incurred a 30 minute penalty at the end of the last leg that was going to be applied to their start time for this leg of the race.  I am not sure how far behind Jill and Thomas they were but add 30 min.  The other teams were wondering where they were but, they may not have been aware of the penalty.  In other clips, they had caught up with the other teams (Chad seen with Jill and when he proposes, Brooke, Claire and Nick were seen witnessing it.)  One might think that Chad would have proposed after the elimination but they usually do not show post pitstop happenings in the same episode (except for private interviews).  Myself, I think they were stuck with the HoO and the location was beautiful, so he decided the time was right.

I am not sure who far ahead of Jill and Thomas that Gary and Mallory were but I believe they caught up at the airport.  They are MIA in all the clips of tasks and were very lost so I am, unfortunately calling a Gary and Mallory elimination this week.   :'(

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2010, 11:26:31 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been brought up (I didn't see it here) but... Chad and Stephanie incurred a 30 minute penalty at the end of the last leg that was going to be applied to their start time for this leg of the race.  I am not sure how far behind Jill and Thomas they were but add 30 min.  The other teams were wondering where they were but, they may not have been aware of the penalty.  In other clips, they had caught up with the other teams (Chad seen with Jill and when he proposes, Brooke, Claire and Nick were seen witnessing it.)  One might think that Chad would have proposed after the elimination but they usually do not show post pitstop happenings in the same episode (except for private interviews).  Myself, I think they were stuck with the HoO and the location was beautiful, so he decided the time was right.

I am not sure who far ahead of Jill and Thomas that Gary and Mallory were but I believe they caught up at the airport.  They are MIA in all the clips of tasks and were very lost so I am, unfortunately calling a Gary and Mallory elimination this week.   :'(

I think that is the general consensus we have come to here. Good sum up of the prediction for this week.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »
Thanks! Here it is embedded, and I will do caps when I get home tonight! :jumpy:

For Chateau to do shadow time, it will help him to know where this is...maybe someone could search flickr for the rappelling  areas I posted before and see if anything looks similar? I can't today... :(

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »
Surmountable obstacles
As a destination for rock-climbers, Oman is unmatched in the region for its appeal and many outdoor activities take place around the mountain ranges. More than 160 climbs have been pioneered, and graded from easy to extremely difficult. Jebel Ghul in the Al Dakhiliyah region towers 300 metres and offers Alpine-style climbing at its best. The Jebel Misfah, which is part of the Jebel Akhdar range, features climbs varying from 120 metres to 500 metres.

The best-known site is Jebel Misht in Nizwa, which has the largest rock face in the Arabian Peninsula. It's essential to be in good physical condition in order to negotiate the climb and it's also advisable to engage a local guide familiar with the terrain.

The mountains provide excellent conditions for trekking. Trips to Jebel Akhdar and Jebel Shams in Nizwa can be arranged easily through local tour operators. The Eastern Hajar mountains enable you to combine trekking in the mountains and camping on the beaches. In addition to enjoyable trekking, these spots provide breathtaking views of surrounding areas.

Jebel Shams (Jabal Shams), or "mountain of the sun", is the highest point in Oman at over 3,000 metres. The trek to the Wadi Nakhr Gorge, also known as the Grand Canyon of Oman, is an unforgettable experience. The trek to reach the cliff dwellings in the canyon begins at the village of Al Khateem and the path is littered with rocky rubble. Deep bends, overhanging rocks and panoramic views of the canyon all add to the exhilarating experience.

Situated 145 kilometres southwest of Muscat at the far end of Wadi Bani Awf in the Wilayat of Rustaq is Snake Canyon, which offers once-in-a-lifetime experiences for adventure-seekers. At 1,000 metres, the canyon is a 200-metre deep fissure, approximately three kilometres long, providing an idyllic location where visitors can walk, swim, or climb rocks.

http://omanpocketguide.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=57

Maybe y'all can look for some pics??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
Jebel Shams photo set:
http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/jebelshams&page=all

Ghul and Wadi Nakhr photoset: Does this look possible? ???
http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/wadinakhr&page=all

Snake Canyon pics
HERE
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
All the shots look like high noon.

Also, they are at an open pit mine.  I'd stay with that search option.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »
Wow...Dr Rox was right then! I never would have spotted that as a mine!! Thanks!! :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
On re-look, the Jebel Shams area does look perfectly likely.    :duno:

Sorry for being indecisive! 
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
Possible Portable Pit Stop????

It's not the same tent....but shows they are available in Oman. Harkens back to classic TAR. A Bedouin tent in the middle of nowwhere.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2010, 05:52:31 PM »
Since it appears to be high noon (and even my inexperienced eyes would guess so) then this task is probably about four hours separated from the RI at Riyam. To Jebel Shams is about 100 mile trip on the road so that seems to be a likely area. On the other hand they might could make it to the mining region in Sohar by then.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »
On re-look, the Jebel Shams area does look perfectly likely.    :duno:

Sorry for being indecisive!  

The rapelling roadblock does appear to be at Jebel Shams area. Those cliffs are to high to be an open pit mine.

"On the next leg of Prof Urai’s geological tour, the audience was introduced to geological quirks in the Jabal Akhdar and Jabal Shams areas that truly attest to Oman’s spectacular geological heritage. Fossils and other geological features dating from the Cretaceous to the Jurassic periods can be found in and around Wadi Nakhr, a dramatic gorge located 3,000 metres above sea level in Jabal Akhdar.

Jabal Shams has its own share of geological wonders, according to Prof Urai. Along the rim of the canyon are Cretaceous and Jurassic era rock layers, while elsewhere can be found rock veins — exposed fractures that have the semblance of rock art. Importantly, the study of Oman’s exceptional geological heritage has benefits that go beyond the search for hydrocarbons, says Prof Urai."

http://www.srikumar.com/oman/articles/oman_a_geological_wonderland.htm

The big blocky rock formation appear to be marine limestones and dolostones of the Cretaceous/Jurassic eras..

IF they go to the open pit copper mines in the Sohar area, there is a major highway due south out of Sohar to the Nizwa/Bahla area, which are the gateways to the Wadi Nakhr/Grand Canyon region. The teams would not have to drive back to the Muttah/Muscat area. Another possible drive a box around Oman.

This article is from Oct, 2003 and could explain the use of drivers. The teams could drive themselves to the Wadi, then have drivers drive them to the top and bottom of the roadblock, then back out of the Wadi.

http://www.newsbriefsoman.info/item/2006/04/jabal-shams--campers-paradise

"Walking time is around three hours one-way. At one point the road leaves the wadi and cuts a twisting swathe through the rugged terrain, skirting small hamlets en route. Work is still under way on a 10km stretch to the summit, a rocky plateau that offers unparalleled views of Wadi Nakhr and its splendid gorge."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:10:50 PM by DrRox »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »
I think Chateau has it: the Shams/Nakhur area. I don't have my tools with me, but compare the rockface in the cap with the one in this photo. Also, according to this photoset, there's a village near the cliffs that can be reached by car.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »
I think we may have it!!

In that photoset I posted above, there are 10 pages of Jabal Sham pics...

including these: A camping/resort where teams could stay, and GOATS!!! :hearts:

Jebel Shams photo set:
http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/jebelshams&page=all

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »
Here is the same outcrop from Peach's photoset link. I need to figure out how to make my circle bigger...lol...new program.

Offline Levi Rinno

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »
Thanks! Here it is embedded, and I will do caps when I get home tonight! :jumpy:

For Chateau to do shadow time, it will help him to know where this is...maybe someone could search flickr for the rappelling  areas I posted before and see if anything looks similar? I can't today... :(

Wonder if they're ahead or behind?  Previews like these usually only showcase those who are ahead, but you never know. . . .

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2010, 07:19:55 AM »
CAPS!

`2345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2010, 07:34:13 AM »
promo upstream!! ^^
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:58 AM »
Chad is looking for a what in one the lamps? Ring? ???
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2010, 08:01:56 AM »
???  They were seen looking for a flight to Bangladesh...the ep 8 leg would be over at that time, right? And yes, we know they finished 5th in Russia leg 2.

So if Jill/Thomas weren't exaggerating to the guy in Muscat airport (they told him they'd lose if they couldn't get a flight to Bangladesh within 8 hours), does this mean they came in 2nd to last in the 2nd Russian leg? Or am I simplifying things?

According to my speculation they may finish in the bottom half in episode 7. However there is a whole leg between that one and the flight to Bangladesh.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2010, 08:02:24 AM »
Chad is looking for a what in one the lamps? Ring? ???

Yep...a RING!! How funny!
RFF's Golden Rule: